Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216868 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>You pathetic little creep. If you had spent less time lying on Topix and more time in the real world you might not have had that babyshyt colored house of yours foreclosed on. Too bad Dawkins never offered to give back any of that money you donated to the "cause".
Oh, Nano-- are you off your meds again?

LMAO

You are so funny when you try to be all "factual".... I never owned a green house in my life, you ignorant f7ck.

Certainly not one that the bank took.

Moreover? I never donated a dime to Dawkins. I do not do donations, actually. The last time I did? It was at a church, for a christmas offering that 100% went to the hungry.

What about you? I bet you don't even TIP your WAITERS.

Do you?

I bet you stiff them-- which is why you **always** get such lousy service... they KNOW a chiseler when they see one!

LMAO!

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#216869 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That was from you?
What year was it?
Yeah.

Don't mention it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216870 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody at your church wants to share a pew with you because of your crazy eyes. Boo hoo, how sad.
I'm sure they all wonder when you'll end up bringing a machete to Sunday services.
I do not do church anymore-- the last time was back in 2006 or so.

Why do you lie?

Oh!

You lie because you are a heartless b8tch and you have the empathy of a rock.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216871 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Your persecution complex and paranoia?
<quoted text>
No, but as always, you're free to imagine and believe whatever floats your ark.
Harris says "it may be", meanwhile, the Bible contains explicit commands to kill based on a myriad of qualifications. People have believed they should follow those commands, and have followed them.
<quoted text>
What the Bible instructs could be followed by anyone who believes, including Christians, many of whom have followed those commands.
Christianity in America and much of the world has been tempered by humanism, and restrained by secular governments. Against most of Christianity, social pressure and legal action are enough to counter the damage it causes.
It would be wise for you to react to what is actually happening and what is actually believed by people.
Humanists and secularists do not control the US government. The vast majority of the government is, and always has been, run by Christians.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216873 Mar 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jedism? Is that based on The Beverly Hillbillies?
Jim Varney was a national treasure.
Jethro is Buck's role model.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216875 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I cited your far left, prissy Salon.com and videos that Sam himself made. But you looneytoons still denied what everyone with eyes could see. As usual, truth doesn't serve your purpose, loser.
Oh, Nano... it's so cute when you lie to try to cover up your lies (as in the above).

How's your street "business"? You get arrested yet?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216876 Mar 5, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullseye! Nailed it! Home Run! Well said...
Projective fantasy from the gay-homosexual Genuine Christian™.

Most amusing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216877 Mar 5, 2014
Sancho Panza wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches across Russia are closed and Christians are put into insane asylums.
http://www.persecution.com/public/40years.asp...
Lying For Jewsus™ website-- nothing it says can be trusted.

#216879 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's not difficult to understand, explain your incomprehension.
I'll take you through the sentence, using what I know about Sam Harris' beliefs that you seem to be completely uninterested in.
"Some beliefs..." - not all beliefs - "...are so dangerous..." - they often lead to mass murder, and certainly instruct it - "...that it may be ethical..." - not always or even often, but in some limited circumstances might be ethical - "...to kill people for believing them..." - in those limited circumstances, to stop them from killing scores of innocents.
We can start addressing all the commands to kill from the Bible if you like.
You need to keep in mind that RR's thinking is black-or-white. There is only "never necessaryl" and "always necessary". There is no "may be".

BTW...good analysis.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216880 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya but Harris doesn't say anything about "people who not only hold these beliefs but act on them". He only talks about beliefs.
He says:“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”
Not actions, beliefs.
He's a crazy sumbitch and so is anyone that agrees with him.
Considering one FACT that beliefs inform our actions, then Harris was correct. You're trying to separate beliefs, from actions taken on those beliefs. Everyone takes some kind of action based on their beliefs, it's a question of how these action effect others. In the case of the 9/11 people, they're actions killed many. As do the actions of those who strap bombs to themselves and kill innocent people.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#216881 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't care if you think it's nonsensical. Theism is the rejection of atheistic claims, mainly the claim that deities don't exist.
It's very nonsensical.

I reject positive atheism also, as an agnostic atheist.

I could then define agnostic atheism in the same terms that you have just used to define theism, rendering both definitions pretty meaningless.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You wanna see how you'd indoctrinate kids:
"They [kids] should be given the tools to evaluate claims rationally with skepticism. That way they won't be fooled into believing superstitious nonsense that is difficult to remove."
You wanna make sure they don't follow any religion. That's indoctrination in and of itself.
I would like children to believe things that are most likely true, for good reasons. That means teaching them rational skepticism, which can be done without the use of bait or manipulative techniques.

"I want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things as possible." ~Matt Dillahunty

Anyone who shares that sentiment would be wise to follow rational skepticism.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216882 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
RR probably thinks that fossils are the only way of testing for LUCA. This just shows RR's lack of imagination.
http://www.evilscience.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216883 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Debatable whether or not Mormons are Christian...just to point out.
But you weren't the one making that claim. I do realize that.
No it isn't debate. Mormons are Christians.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216884 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That was from you?
What year was it?
Catcher1 wrote:
Yeah.
Don't mention it.
There was two questions there, Feltcher.

Care to answer both?

Or are you afraid of being exposed as a liar?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#216885 Mar 5, 2014

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#216886 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If atheism is the rejection of theism, then theism is the rejection of atheism and both can be indoctrinated into people.
You believe in all of the human imagined deities?

#216887 Mar 5, 2014
Today's math lecture is...

The Fundamental Group of the Circle

http://www.math.colostate.edu/~renzo/teaching...

Note theorem 1, which states...

H_1(S^1)= Z

H_1 is the fundamental group
S^1 is the 1-sphere, aka the circle
Thus H_1(S^1) is the fundamental group of the circle
Z is the group of integers, which is infinite (having rank 1).

Since S^1 is a deformation retraction of the solid 2-torus (aka donut), we have that the fundamental group of the donut is infinite.

Note: This in no way states the donut itself is infinite. The donut is compact, that is closed and bounded. Bounded means it is finite. Yet, being finite it still has topological properties which are infinite.(Cf. homology of the circle.)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#216888 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Humanists and secularists do not control the US government. The vast majority of the government is, and always has been, run by Christians.
I guess that explains that train wreck...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216889 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
What about you? I bet you don't even TIP your WAITERS.
No, just waitresses.

Did you know that "TIP" is an acronym? It means "To Insure Promptness".

If your server isn't prompt, they don't get a damn tip.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#216890 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't debate. Mormons are Christians.
Better look this over.

http://www.mit.irr.org/mormonism-christian-2

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min VetnorsGate 1,685,518
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min susanm 326,779
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 32 min Chosen Traveler 35,374
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 46 min Patriot AKA Bozo 12,077
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan 17 Sweet 293
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan 4 NicePhartts 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Dec 24 Randy from Wooster 201,884
More from around the web