Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255901 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216757 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Christine!
Good, busy with research and writing up. I hope you are good!
Christine recently proved there is no god using E=mc^2.

And she proved the Pope is an atheist.

I'm sure you are pleased someone has continued your work here.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216758 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
You and I have an insoluble disagreement on this. I think the case is overwhelming that our founders linked natural rights to a creator god.("endowed by nature and nature's God") This cannot be construed as humanism, in my view. The similarity to humanism is the result of liberty and freedom of conscience afforded by the encoding of non-compliance with any religion. I like to think we each can respect the other's view. I am not nearly as annoyed by yours as I once was. And we mostly agree on the malignancy of organized religion.
I'm glad that we both seem to want to get along. Differing opinions about the world aren't a reason to sacrifice that.

We've discussed this objection of yours before. It was the late eighteenth century. It was expedient to give lip service to a creator. There is nothing connecting this creator to the Christian god or any ideology extant at the time of the Founders.

The philosophical underpinnings of the American government are all Enlightenment ideas, as is humanism. These are all reactions to the traditions of the Middle Ages which included Christian theocracies and concepts like the divine right of kings. Americanism is a repudiation of kings, aristocrats, and authoritarianism.

I can't give faith based systems any credit for the incredible new ideas embodied in that Constitution because of the inclusion of a word or phrase about creators in the Declaration, and none in the Constitution itself.

Furthermore there is nothing in the Christian bible or any other holy book to my knowledge to support the ideas in the US Constitution / Bill of Rights. Where are democracy, egalitarianism, personal liberty, the rule of law, and secular government in the bible or any other faith based system existing before the rise of humanism?

This new form of government - liberal democracy - was a humanist vision, one that saw human beings as autonomous, self-governing citizens. This was in stark contrast to previous traditions that saw people as powerless subjects under the thumbs of god and king.

I can't see ignoring all of that because, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

How would the world be different if it had read, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are equal and deserving of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."?

Location hidden

#216759 Mar 5, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Isn it just me, or is this one of most childish things ever, posting a letter from an anonymous scientist and expecting anyone to believe it. Maybe he really believes everyone is just as stupid and as gullible as he is.
You nailed it, Blue Baboon. I believe you are stupid and gullible.

You are prescient.

Location hidden

#216760 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you are oh so wrong. Buck knows everything about everything.[/sarcasm]
Thanks, madam.

Location hidden

#216761 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
http://abstrusegoose.com/strip s/i_know_someone_like_this_but _im_pretty_sure_she_just_does_ it_to_torture_me.png
Does this remind you of anyone?
Are those circular figures infinite in length?

Took a lot of ink to draw them, if so.

Location hidden

#216762 Mar 5, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You're full of shit as usual.
Nice rebuttal, Blue Baboon.

Location hidden

#216763 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never said that infinity exists in the material world. That is one of Buck's straw men.
I have always maintained that infinity is a mathematical concept.
Buck has disputed what that concept is. He has been very wrong. As in...
<quoted text>
You asked for it:

Buck Crick wrote:

<quoted text>
There is a contradiction unless you use different rules.

Darwin's Stepchild wrote:

No contradiction. The contradiction arises IF you try to use the same rules.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216764 Mar 5, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The level of confidence about something maybe very high, so high that some people consider it indisputable fact, but the truth is nothing is guaranteed 100%, and while the LUCA has not been discovered as we know it . There are plenty of MRCA's in the animal kingdom that show common descent to be true.
You lost me with the LUCA, don't even bring up a MRCA...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216765 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There's no justifiable reason to kill a man for a belief..
How about to keep him conscious and torture him for eternity for his beliefs? Are there justifiable reasons to do that?

Location hidden

#216766 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:

<quoted text>

Bwahahahahahahahahah....It's funny every time!
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#216767 Mar 5, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do I contribute?
IF money is the root of all evil, then why do they ask for it in church?

Prayer answered!

What’s this fly doing in my soup?
Waiter: Praying.
Very funny. I can’t eat this. Take it back.
Waiter: You see? The fly’s prayers were answered.

Location hidden

#216768 Mar 5, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Hominy grits?
With bacon grease. yummmm. <rubs tummy>

Location hidden

#216769 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
First, Buck didn't make any argument about the concept of infinity. All he did was use his made-up silly name for some pipe dream of his. There is nothing there to rebut.
Second, Buck doesn't even begin to understand infinity. I suspect that you don't either, since you are arguing in his favor.
Here is a simple (and somewhat simplistic since it is aimed at the math illiterate) discussion of infinity...
http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/infinity.ht...
Buck Crick wrote:

<quoted text>

Thanks for sharing your understanding....

Bwahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahha h.....<belch>...bwahahah ahha...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216770 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, latrines. Because the localities didn't have any sanitation facilities at all. So, yes, latrines are very important to villages that have been suffering from disease due to open wastes.
You don't have much of an imagination, do you. Incapable of seeing what poor sanitation can wreak. And don't really care, apparently.
While these Christian groups build churches...that aren't needed and don't help anyone.
After the 2010 quake, the Mormon church started planting and donating 400,000 shade and fruit trees.

Adventists spent $3.6 million.

The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee spent $5.4 million.

The Red Cross spent $245 million.

The Catholic Medical Mission Board spent $1.4 million.

Catholic Relief Services spent $24 million.

Church World Service spent.$2.2 million.

Habitat for Humanity spent $13 million.

Islamic Relief USA spent $1.7 million.

The list goes on and for religious organizations that donated to Haiti.

And you brag about atheists installing some shit houses.

Oh, I forgot one. Obama's Brother's Brother Foundation spent $366,000.

LOL

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216771 Mar 5, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
Nice dodge, Flipper, but my personal experience wasn't the basis of my response. I cited nationwide numbers, easily confirmed by anyone {SNIP}
It isn't confirmed by anyone, even you.

You claim that churches spend only 3% of their donations to charity.

Easily confirm it.

Location hidden

#216772 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>

Wow. Buck thinks infinity has to play by the same rules as the finite.
FROM YESTERDAY:

Darwin's Stepchild: "Wow. Buck thinks infinity has to play by the same rules as the finite."

FROM OVER A YEAR AGO:

Buck Crick (on infinity): "There is a contradiction unless you use different rules."

FROM TODAY:

Buck Crick: "Bwahahahahahahahahhahaah ahahahahahahahhahahahah....

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#216773 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>You're the psycho that brought up the subject, and we all know WHY.
Why is that, Nano?

Location hidden

#216774 Mar 5, 2014
FROM OVER A YEAR AGO:

Buck Crick (on infinity): "There is a contradiction unless you use different rules".

FROM YESTERDAY:

Darwin's Stepchild: "Wow. Buck thinks infinity has to play by the same rules as the finite."
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#216775 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Kenneth! What is the frequency?!
As I recall...

Thou hast received OG's legendary BUH BYE previously.

66.6 FM in PT time zone on alternating Wednesdays when month is odd and day is even with 3/4 moon.

Interesting tweets and thy FB wall has been updated. Your dental appt is rescheduled.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#216776 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello young man!
I've been hiding and hiding and hiding and hiding and hiding...
Good to see you, Hiding san.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,402,994
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Trojan 32,307
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr cpeter1313 311,484
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Fri litesong 9,981
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Frankie Rizzo 201,877
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web