Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#216431 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Billionaire philanthropists like Tony Stark?
I'm thinking Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett. The top philanthropists in the country are all atheists.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216432 Mar 3, 2014
tricki wrote:
Define Christian
A human being who has willingly given up his brain in exchange for simplistic "answers" to all of life's difficult questions.

In short?

A self-created moron.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216433 Mar 3, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett. The top philanthropists in the country are all atheists.
Indeed. Makes you think.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216434 Mar 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you heard of or seen a movie called Powder? Powder, the title character, is a bizarre, pale, empath who happens upon a redneck hunter who has just shot a deer, and connects the hunter to the deer by touching them both, enabling the hunter to experience the terror and horror of the deer as it suffered and died.
This is a clip of the scene which somebody seems to have added farting sounds to - LOL. Try to imagine how poignant this scene would be without them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =szaq3dE2sHEXX
Excellent movie. You can't watch it with the stupid farting added in. Here it is without the farts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

No matter what we eat, we kill something first.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216435 Mar 3, 2014
<quoted text>
You still don't know what a humanist is, do you?
Sure I do. Are there humanists in the federal government? If so, who are they? Keep in mind that the federal government really consists of about 537 elected and 9 appointed men and women.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216436 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Baldie???
O_O
You cut me real deep just there, real deep.
There you go.

Ignore the substance, focus on the humor.

You're not just a homophobe.

You're a cowardly one.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#216437 Mar 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go.
You're a cowardly one.
Catcher RR and TT walk into a bar........

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216438 Mar 3, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2013, Zuckerberg donated 3% of his income.

Warren Buffet donated 5% in the same year.

Bill Gates? As wonderful as his charity is, he's profiting more than he's donating. There's a negative number there somewhere.

Christians are instructed to donate 10% and a lot of them do.

Christians represent 32% of all charitable donations. In 2012, they donated over 214 million dollars. Compare that to your billionaire philanthropists.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216439 Mar 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go.
You're a cowardly one.
There's no reasoning with you, the unreasonable. I might as well stick to the humor you provide.

Your soirée at the Shanghai all-male bath house with lemons, cucumbers and huge bath towels makes for many great jokes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216440 Mar 3, 2014
You're a Christian, right ? Are you ready for Lent?
I've seen two Mardi Gras parades already this week, and the holiday is tomorrow.
Not all Christians or Christian churches observe Lent because the Bible does not mention that custom. I'm one of them that doesn't observe it.
YellowStar

Saint Paul, MN

#216441 Mar 3, 2014
Considering the question posed on this thread I'd have to say no, needing absolute proof is what atheism is all about. The problem there is you can't know what you don't know or have no way of knowing. The scientific method is always turning up new evidence and reaching new conclusions as it advances.

The problem with religion is it purports to know what it doesn't really know. It often has no scientific proof or validation for many of it's claims or irrefutable historical evidence, often requires blind faith....much like a con-man does from his victims, and often rejects a scientific pursuit of knowledge and understanding which may validate some of it's claims(I said some...). Science is a just a process after all and nothing more.

Religious people and atheists arguing about who is right is like two ugly hags arguing who looks best at a beauty contest, they both leave something to be desired.

Let the games begin, you may now attack me from both sides.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#216442 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
Considering the question posed on this thread I'd have to say no, needing absolute proof is what atheism is all about. The problem there is you can't know what you don't know or have no way of knowing. The scientific method is always turning up new evidence and reaching new conclusions as it advances.
The problem with religion is it purports to know what it doesn't really know. It often has no scientific proof or validation for many of it's claims or irrefutable historical evidence, often requires blind faith....much like a con-man does from his victims, and often rejects a scientific pursuit of knowledge and understanding which may validate some of it's claims(I said some...). Science is a just a process after all and nothing more.
Religious people and atheists arguing about who is right is like two ugly hags arguing who looks best at a beauty contest, they both leave something to be desired.
Let the games begin, you may now attack me from both sides.
Sorry YS atheism is about already convinced , you're confusing things here.
Science makes no claims of anything that cannot be tested.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#216443 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Gates? As wonderful as his charity is, he's profiting more than he's donating. There's a negative number there somewhere.
Christians represent 32% of all charitable donations. In 2012, they donated over 214 million dollars. Compare that to your billionaire philanthropists.
There's yet another of your self-serving factoids that illuminate nothing.

Ya see, the way you arrive at that number is simple - it's derived from what people claim on their tax forms as "charitable giving". And the money in the collection plate qualifies.

Let me ask you this - how much of that 32% "charity" is actually money in the collection plate? And how much of that collection plate money goes to pay church salaries, light and heat bills, brick and mortar projects for ever larger glorious edifices of "worship", etc?

Conversely, how how much of that money actually goes to true charitable causes? I know the number - it averages about 3% nationwide.

97% of that 32% pays for mundane administrative costs, 3% allegedly given by Christians ends up aiding a worthy cause.

Hey, I'm not knocking their giving. Not at all. It's all good. All I'm saying is I'm tired of seeing this "Xtians donate most and here's the number" argument trotted out like it actually means something as far as relative altruism. It doesn't.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216444 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no reasoning with you, the unreasonable. I might as well stick to the humor you provide.
Your soirée at the Shanghai all-male bath house with lemons, cucumbers and huge bath towels makes for many great jokes.
OK, I can live with that.

So long as you don't hit me, like you did your wife and your baby.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216445 Mar 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor. That cannot be tested, but it's taught as if it's an indisputable fact.

There are many examples of scientific claims that are either untested or untestable.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216447 Mar 3, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>There's yet another of your self-serving factoids that illuminate nothing.
Ya see, the way you arrive at that number is simple - it's derived from what people claim on their tax forms as "charitable giving". And the money in the collection plate qualifies.
Let me ask you this - how much of that 32% "charity" is actually money in the collection plate? And how much of that collection plate money goes to pay church salaries, light and heat bills, brick and mortar projects for ever larger glorious edifices of "worship", etc?
Conversely, how how much of that money actually goes to true charitable causes? I know the number - it averages about 3% nationwide.
97% of that 32% pays for mundane administrative costs, 3% allegedly given by Christians ends up aiding a worthy cause.
Hey, I'm not knocking their giving. Not at all. It's all good. All I'm saying is I'm tired of seeing this "Xtians donate most and here's the number" argument trotted out like it actually means something as far as relative altruism. It doesn't.
Where did you get this:

97% of that 32% pays for mundane administrative costs

??

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216448 Mar 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
OK, I can live with that.
So long as you don't hit me, like you did your wife and your baby.
I offer no promises.

If you stalk me too much and show up at my front door one day, hitting is guaranteed.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#216449 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Zuckerberg only donated 3% of his income to the tune of $970 million.
What a cheap bastard, huh?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mark...
Buffett donated only 5% in the amount of 2.6 billion.
Another tightwad according to your numbers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorrell/2013/...
I have no idea what you're talking about concerning Bill Gates, but coming from you it's probably misinformation, and I have to leave for a meeting.
Not too shabby for amoral, misguided atheists, huh? Don't forget, I haven't included Bill Gates.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#216450 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
At best this would make Christians charitable. Certainly doesn't prove Christianity is correct or that atheists require some kind of faith.
YellowStar

Saint Paul, MN

#216451 Mar 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you're confused.

Science is a process, Science is still learning knew things, yet you are already convinced you know. Some people have to "know" in order to sleep soundly at night and some people do not.

If you "knew" and were convinced you knew then you wouldn't waste your time here arguing with people who don't know but think they do, you would have moved on with your life having certainty in mind and no need to argue about any of it.

NEXT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min TSM 1,154,118
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 41 min Bruin Nation 28,401
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 51 min Joe fortuna 201,173
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Phil Donahue 306,995
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 11 hr IBdaMann 2,682
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 13 hr Roy the Boy 691
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec 16 The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web