Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#216494 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All you gotta do is look at atheist leaders from the last century and you have your answer. Atheist leaders have killed more in the last century than religion has in the history of man.
Atheism provides no direction. Do you understand what that means to your argument?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No. This isn't Minority Report. People should not be killed for a belief. Sam Harris wouldn't want to be executed for his beliefs, would he?
Who said it was Minority Report?

If you know what someone believes, if they believe you deserve to die, that is a relevant and actionable piece of information, if they're pointing a gun at you.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Wrong. The US is not hunting down jihadists for their beliefs, we're hunting them down for their actions.
I don't have the rules of engagement handy, but I'm pretty sure the only requirement that needs to be met is identifying a person as Al Qaeda. They don't get a trial or inquiry.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Except for the unneeded slander, I agree with you. Killing should be the last resort.
I'll point out your dichotomous nature any time it's relevant.

So you disagree with capital punishment, stand your ground laws, and killing in defense of property?
YellowStar

Eden Prairie, MN

#216495 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. Do you consider it a matter of faith that there is no evidence of Santa Claus?
<quoted text>
??? This strikes me a just word salad. Please clarify what you mean.
<quoted text>
Really?
<quoted text>
Yes, but that does not mean a god. It in no way is evidence of a god. Merely that there are rules by which the universe operates.
BTW...If you claim your God can break the rules, then there are no rules. If God must obey the rules, then why call him God?
<quoted text>
Please demonstrate where intelligence is inherent. This strikes me as being more wishful thinking than an argument.
<quoted text>
Ah, yes. God-of-the-Gaps. Gotta love it.
I think Tim Minchin, in his beat poem Storm, said it very well...
"Throughout history
Every mystery
EVER solved has turned out to be
Not Magic."
Santa Claus? Magic? I never suggested either so now you're just being stupid. It's quantum physics and experiments in quantum mechanics that suggest intelligence is inherent in all matter, not me, so go argue that with quantum physicists, I'm just relying on the experts in the field...which I'll bet you are not part of.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”~Albert Einstein

Location hidden

#216496 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Self defense of a belief? No. You're trying to sugar coat Harris' vile opinion.
“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” Sam Harris
That is a very dangerous notion.
Hardly.
Then you should be willing to "disarm" Sam Harris, he wants to kill a lot of people. Let's kill him before he has the chance.
O_o
The only vile opinion here is your own. Do you have any interest in what Harris was actually saying?

http://atheistethicist.blogspot.com/2007/05/m...

Read his book or watch one his videos concerning the book, or just read the link above.

If you cannot move forward in a productive way, I'm going to consider you to be unworthy of my attention.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216497 Mar 3, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you planning on killing, schizo?
You're the psycho that brought up the subject, and we all know WHY.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216498 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The humanists aspire to power on the rationale that they are better atheists than Stalin or Mao.
Then along comes a guy like Sam Harris and screws the pooch.
Mr. Prissypants - I like that. Harris has a very punchable face.
He contradicts himself too often to make a great leader. I suspect it is a side effect of all that LSD he took as a college student. Men who talk in circles need to be smacked with angular objects. ;)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216499 Mar 3, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Easy to run you believers off, all one has to do is ask you to provide evidence for your Demon God, and off you run. Those that stay and try and show us their evidence, usually completely embarrass themselves with rainbows, trees, and laughing babies as their evidence. I usually end up ROTFLMAO.
You do know that religious beliefs are a danger to society right? That unsupported beliefs are what caused 9/11 and a host of other horrific acts?
"This" is not the Prove There's a God thread, moron.

Zealots of ANY ideology are dangerous; much like you, Psycho.

Location hidden

#216500 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Self defense of a belief? No. You're trying to sugar coat Harris' vile opinion.
“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” Sam Harris
That is a very dangerous notion.
How vile would you rate an opinion that people deserve to be tortured for an eternity for lacking a specific belief?
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216501 Mar 3, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of a shame that Theists don't have such an elegant spokesman as the brilliant Sam Harris. The best you guys can do are idiots like Ken Hovin and William Lane Craig.
There are other coming up to fill the gap that Christopher Hitchens left, Matt Dillahunty for one, a brilliant young Atheists who host the Atheist Experience out of Austin Texas. His specialty is destroying young earth creationists. He chews em up, and spits em out, really fun to watch.
If Harris were brilliant he would not have been caught in so many lies.

He speaks like a late night "as seen on tv" marketer, slick and fast, not brilliant.

Matt Dillweed? ahahahahaha, what a dweeb, ahahaha, that's hilarious. Oh gee, what a relief THAT is!

I've watched those creeps and they are only legends in their own minds.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#216502 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Men out in Kentucky view hunting and guns about as equal to sports, it's very important to them.
To them, offering to raffle off 25 guns is equivalent to a church raffling off Super bowl tickets.
We're willing to let you in on the most important truth of the universe, that will save you from an eternity of torture, and give you a path to eternal happiness. And if that doesn't do it for you, FREE GUNS!

This is just one of the more unusual examples of religion luring people in with something other than what they are actually selling. I'm a lot more disgusted with Veggie Tales and the like.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216503 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
<quoted text>
Santa Claus? Magic? I never suggested either so now you're just being stupid. It's quantum physics and experiments in quantum mechanics that suggest intelligence is inherent in all matter, not me, so go argue that with quantum physicists, I'm just relying on the experts in the field...which I'll bet you are not part of.
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”~Albert Einstein
I suggest you don't use Einstein to support your case because he said a LOT that goes against it. His ideas of "sacred" do not match up with yours at all.

And, yes, Santa Claus. As long as we are going to be talking about beings with no evidence of existence, why discriminate? Certainly you've heard it before? Should I have mentioned the Tooth Fairy instead? Or maybe Make Make (pronounced Mawkay Mawkay if you didn't know) if you want to get into actual gods? There is just as much evidence of Make Make as there is for Jehovah. Yet I doubt you would make a Make-Make-of-the-Gaps argument. Likely you would consider it very silly.

And, yes, magic. Miracles are magic. Miracles defy the laws of physics. Magic defies the laws of physics. Same difference. That fact may offend you, but deal with it.

I would strongly expect that I know a fair amount more about quantum mechanics than you do since I have actually studied the subject...both undergrad and graduate levels. Plus a lot of extra reading on my own. Physics is a hobby of mine.

And QM shows probabilistic behavior. Not intelligent behavior. You have been listening to someone that doesn't know anything about QM either. Electrons are not intelligent, nor do they act in a manner as if an intelligence is guiding them. While probabilistic individually, they act in a very predictable fashion when viewed en masse.

Location hidden

#216504 Mar 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Sarah Palin's hand-o-prompter.
http://mochamrclean.files.wordpress.com/2010/...
Some of the things she said really rubbed off on me.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216505 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Craig debated Harris and the consensus was Craig beat him.
Atheist Luke Muehlhauser of "Common Sense Atheism" declared Craig the winner.
Where are your "up and coming" young atheists to fill the gap left by Joe Stalin and Vladimir Lenin?
You just don't see good atheist lines like this one any more:
"Our program necessarily includes the propaganda of atheism."
-Vladimir Lenin
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa ....
I couldn't care less about who debates who about their preferred ideology but, when a scumbag like Harris starts creaming himself over fantasies of killing or chemically lobotomizing all believers in any of the Abrahamic faiths then I DO care, a great deal. A creep like that needs some serious, continuous surveillance done on him. Only the sickest nihilists will find his homicidal musings attractive. Blacklagoon is a classic radical, militant psycho acolyte type.
The idiots here can't think for themselves so they come here and quote Harris and Dawkins ad nauseum. Pathetic, considering the unsubstantiated, wild claims both of them have made.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216507 Mar 3, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
How vile would you rate an opinion that people deserve to be tortured for an eternity for lacking a specific belief?
Your idol, Harris, proposes the use of torture to gain information. Hypocrite.

Gee, it must be that untreated megalomania of his getting all inflamed and itchy. Intelligence does not preclude insanity.:)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaa

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

#216508 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW...why don't you call your local university (not a Bible school) and talk to a physicist. Tell him...

"It's quantum physics and experiments in quantum mechanics that suggest intelligence is inherent in all matter, not me, so go argue that with quantum physicists, I'm just relying on the experts in the field..."

I predict one of three responses.

1) Laughter.

2) Stunned silence.

3) Calmly telling you why you are wrong.

Strange, though. I have asked theist before you to call and ask scientists what they really have to say on the subject. No theist ever seems to take up my dare. Either that, or they never admit they did and found out they were wrong.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216509 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You nailed it. Harris' statement had nothing to do with self-defense. Self-defense is a response to an action, not to thoughts.
Like I said, atheists seek authority on the basis that they are better atheists than Stalin and Lenin.
Then along comes a humanist, Sam Harris, and screws the pooch.
Harris is evil and so are the idiots who idolize him.

#216510 Mar 3, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Then for something to come out of nothing would be a miracle, magic mud!
Funny fantasy!
Actually not. It follows directly from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Cf. quantum fluctuation. But then, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Yes. Yes indeed. We actually do observe something coming out of nothing. Happens all the time on the quantum level.

BTW...it is a really bad idea to expect things at the quantum level or the relativistic level (really really small and really really large) to act according to "common sense". Relativity is strange. Quantum mechanics is flat-out weird. Both are non-intuitive.

#216511 Mar 3, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Your idol, Harris, proposes the use of torture to gain information. Hypocrite.
Gee, it must be that untreated megalomania of his getting all inflamed and itchy. Intelligence does not preclude insanity.:)
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaa
Nano, behave yourself. Have you gone off your meds?
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216512 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Those are the words of Jon Favreau and his team, Obama just read them.
Take away Obama's teleprompter, see what you get.
That's a scary thought, dimbo without his professional speech writer.
`8^o

#216513 Mar 3, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Harris is evil and so are the idiots who idolize him.
Curious you demonize Harris. I will admit he has said some things I greatly disagree with. But most of those things, like hatred for Islam, is the same thing we hear from so many evangelicals.

Why aren't you demonizing Pat Robertson as well? He has said a lot that is just as bad, or even worse.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216514 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel bad for the pooch.
Maybe someone should kill Harris for having those thoughts....
According to Harris, the pooch was begging for it...

xD

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Teaman 1,459,865
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Flirts9578 312,838
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Chosen Traveler 32,615
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Wed Go Blue Forever 59
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Dec 5 Yin 17
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web