Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 10,361)

Showing posts 207,201 - 207,220 of217,042
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm
John 10:30
"I and the Father are one.
Game.
Set.
Match.
Not quite.

Jesus and the Father are one. You and I and the Father are one.

"Is it not written in your law,'I have said you are gods' "

-Jesus of Nazareth

Your true self is not physical. It is spirit. It is one with the Father.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
You cannot put Stalinism and Maoism back into their "proper" category along with Islam and Christianity because they are opposite categories.
They are all essentially the same thing in a slightly different wrapper. The world has suffered wherever Stalinism, Christianity, Maoism or Islam have called the shots, and in precisely the same way.

Please feel free to bring up Stalinism and Moaism all you like, and I will continue to point out how authoritarian ideologies of violence and despair are all the same. Only humanism offers an alternative worth working for.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*might be* reelected.
What makes you think he's a good guy or an effective governor?
Jerry Brown WILL be reelected.

You heard it from Catcher.

As for your question, sorry but I will not engage in a political discussion with you.

I will not be dragged down.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism isn't something you can lean to. You accept a god claim you don't. If he believes in gods of any type, he's not an atheist. I suspect that he is a theist, but uses words like agnostic because he doesn't accept parts of the bible, or doesn't accept the Christian god.
Who knows? All I can tell you is that he doesn't pass the stink test for dispassionate objectivity in scholarship. Even if he is sincere, he's not credible.
These statements are bereft of logic. Since they were attained by exclusion of logic, it would have no effect to apply logic to them.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

I invite any Christian that thinks otherwise to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could. Are any of you Christians aware of such a time and place where the Christian church had the power to do those things, but tool a moral stand and said, "No!" to genocide when it wasn't benefiting by doing so? There must be a few moral successes among the myriad failures.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nothing anyone could tell you would change your one track mind.
Bellying up? Good choice.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I could tell you how the Catholic Church spent hundreds of years dedicating people and resources to the then new inception of the hospital. Your profession exists because the Catholic Church invented it.
Blah blah blah. Still bellying up? I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christians started the education system. Catholics invented the first modem universities.
Bore no more. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christians pioneered modern Social Work.
You're still evading the question. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ever hear of the Red Cross? Founded by a Catholic priest. The Bible has been called "the most influential book in the world", "the most important book in English religion and culture", and "the most celebrated book in the English-speaking world".
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hear of Magna Carta? Christians did that.
LOL.

Still evading, I see. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What about Martin Luther King? Christian.
What about Martin Luther? Christian. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. "Most atheists are humanists" except for atheists like Stalin and Mao.
Huh.
You cannot put Stalinism and Maoism back into their "proper" category along with Islam and Christianity because they are opposite categories.
It's the same old story. If Christians act poorly, it's because they are Christians. If atheists or humanists act poorly, it's not because they are atheists or humanists.

It's probably because they knew Christians.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Brown is your friend?
Do you call him "Moonbeam"?
Not a close friend at all, but I have socialized with Jerry Brown at several functions.

I have called him Jerry when in a group and others called him that. One on one, I call him Governor and he calls me by my first name.

Brown is one hell of a nice guy, by the way. And his wife wears the pants in many respects.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
"Irish Inquiry Hears How Children Were Systematically Beaten and Abused in Catholic Home for Children"
Among the abuses...
"Humiliating children for bed wetting, forcing them to stand with the sheets on their heads and beating them as punishment.
Forced farm labouring or working in the laundry instead of going to school.
Removal of Christmas presents and other personal items.
Calling children by numbers rather than names.
Leaving youngsters hungry through inadequate food or alternately force feeding.
Some people who contacted the inquiry claimed when they were ill they were forced to eat their own vomit.
Inadequate staffing and supervision and lack of medical attention."
One man testified...
I remember, when I was about five years old, being constantly beaten by one particular nun, to get me to stop writing with my left hand.
For more...
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-2...
"Michael McMoran said one nun targeted him for 10 years, hitting him about the head with a brush, mop or tree branch."
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/2...
"A former resident of a children's care home in Derry, Northern Ireland, was told he was evil and had been born of a satanic relationship, the largest UK inquiry into institutional child abuse has heard.
The witness said a priest labelled him the product of such a union because his mother was unmarried."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...
"I never heard children cry like I have in that place, it was one of despair and that still haunts me a little bit, it was a scream of despair."
So you think having hospitals excuses this behavior?
Good post.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

KiMare wrote:
Did all the Christian families kill their foster kids?Snicker.
Did you mean literally kill them or just their minds and spirits?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

KiMare wrote:
evolutionary purpose??? Do some research and get back. Smile snort.
Evolutionary purpose? FAIL.

You have nothing to offer on the subject.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Bellying up? Good choice.
<quoted text>
Blah blah blah. Still bellying up? I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
<quoted text>
Bore no more. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
<quoted text>
You're still evading the question. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL.
Still evading, I see. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
<quoted text>
What about Martin Luther? Christian. I invite any Christian to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could
Well, I'm not a christian now. But I grew up in a christian church.

I never saw them torture or kill anyone. Unless 2 hours on a pew is torture.

They could have killed or tortured. Nearly all of them owned guns. Several likely had them in their vehicles.

If we count each Sunday as one incident, that is several hundred incidents of a christian church not killing or torturing when they could.

That's only one church. There were probably a hundred of them in the county. Thousands in the state.

So there is hundreds of thousands of the examples you are asking for. It was really a bizarre and an oddly conceived question.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehrman is not even a christian, much less a christian apologist.
That's you, dogpile. Always wrong.
So?

You aren't a Christian either, but you spout Christian apologetics every chance you get.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Red Herring fallacy. The Bible is likely fiction in part, but proven non-fiction in part.
Yeah, just like Gone With the Wind is proven non-fiction in part.

That still doesn't make Rhett Butler a historical figure.
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>And a married man can also now say "meet my husband" or "today's our wedding anniversary" or "I'm his husband", as can a married woman now say "meet my wife" or "today's our wedding anniversary or "I'm her wife".

But the words don't tell you "everything", do they?
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
They say enough...
Actually they don't, even if the parties are physically present, that the parties are, in fact, what you believe them to be, and even in that event one has to presume they're being truthful, or at the very minimum, not mistaken.
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how that worked when those men were allowed to have all the wives they could afford to buy?
How about David with hundreds of wives and hundreds of concubines. What a pile of one flesh.
Goes further to making my point!

(Schizimatrimonia, anyone?)
Jacob

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, maybe they don't! What manifestations are you talking about anyway? Revelations....show proof of just one, just one.
I don't think I'm terribly unique and yes we are all tiny specks in a very large universe. What's your point? It's the cristians who think they are so special that they can walk on streets of gold for all eternity. When it comes to feeble minds, speak only for yourself.
Well, how do you explain everything got here? Just asking. If the Big Bang Theory (key word- THEORY) is real, then what was there before the Big Bang? There has to have been some sort of bomb to explode. So, how did the bomb get there? I'm just wondering how the heck you explain it all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Did you mean literally kill them or just their minds and spirits?
If they had Christian birth parents, they were going to be tortured and killed anyway. Right?

Atheist crimes against humanity,(mass murder and torture) compared with that of Christians, is 18,300,000.% higher.

Don't forget, the killing and torture comparison is with atheists being far fewer in number, and having less opportunities in power to commit the atrocities.

Can you imagine the body count if atheists had been in charge as much as Christians?

Mass murderers, among atheist leaders, are the majority! 58.6% murdered massive numbers of their own people. That's not even killing in wartime. Just killing their own people.
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't. You need to include 'oxymoron' with your example.
Smile.
Actually, I don't need to include you with anything.

From what I understand, you're a one thing does all.
Jacob

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They could have killed or tortured. Nearly all of them owned guns. Several likely had them in their vehicles.
If we count each Sunday as one incident, that is several hundred incidents of a christian church not killing or torturing when they could.
That's only one church. There were probably a hundred of them in the county. Thousands in the state.
So there is hundreds of thousands of the examples you are asking for. It was really a bizarre and an oddly conceived question.
How are you not a Christian now? I feel so bad for you. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.
Jacob

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And just to expand on that thought, the churches who killed and tortured weren't following the laws God had said specifically the law that says Thou shalt not kill. So, they weren't good churches.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 207,201 - 207,220 of217,042
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the NCAA Basketball Forum right now

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min John Galt 1,034,176
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 50 min Bitner 303,151
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr Fight On 26,094
Syracuse basketball: Jim Boeheim tells ESPN Tyl... Apr 14 Lenox Da Kid 2
loan offer (Jun '13) Apr 14 Bryan Cranston 81
Burke Calls Shots With The Best (Feb '08) Apr 12 maryann 19
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Apr 12 plenty 49
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••