Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247311 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#215606 Feb 28, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> We went over that here.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
As far as i know you did not respond to that post.
All of Ehrman's books presupposes Jesus exists. He leans towards atheism so naturally heis going to deny resurrection or Deity claims since he does not believe in Deities.
You tout his scholarship, and link to the man, as if as if that bestows some sort of validity, even going as far to classify him as a legitimate scholar, and went so far as to say that - "you aren't even worthy to carry his briefcase" - or something to that effect.

So what I'm understanding, is that his views are valid as long as you find benefit in the view, if not, it's then that you discard his scholarship.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#215607 Feb 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This is for you and KiMare, who wanted me to learn the difference between influence and impose:
"The Conservative Crusade For Christian Sharia Law - It’s not just the fringe anymore. Mainstream conservatives are trying to bring America’s laws into agreement with ‘God’s law."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02...
"The question isn’t: Will conservatives push to enact laws based on the Bible? We are way beyond that. The real questions are: 1. How many more of these laws do they want to impose? And, 2. What will our nation look like if their crusade is successful to bring America’s laws into agreement with “God’s law”?
[snip]
"We saw that in 2012 when Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum declared his belief that the laws in our country must “comport” with God’s law. Santorum also argued in opposition to marriage equality, that our nation’s values “are based on Biblical truth… And, those truths don’t change just because people’s attitudes may change.”
"And former Governor Mike Huckabee, who is considering running for president in 2016, proclaimed during his 2008 presidential race that our laws should be in accordance with God’s. In fact, Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, went as far as to say:“…I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And that’s what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than trying to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view…”
[snip]
"[W]e should take a look at some of the more concerning passages from the Bible in case they truly mean it when they say our laws should be revised to agree with God’s law:
1. If a woman is found not to be a virgin on her wedding night,“she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.” Deuteronomy 22:20-21
2.“Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.” 1 Timothy 2:10-13.
3.“If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.” Leviticus 20:10 (Unlikely conservatives will push for this law because with it would mean too many politicians would be put to death.)
4.“Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.” Leviticus 20:9
5.“For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of Sabbath rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.” Exodus 35:2
========
As is easily seen, it is Christian doctrine, not humanism, that has much in common with totalitarian regimes and death squads than humanists. People should fear Christian government, not secular humanist government. We believe in human autonomy and human rights, not death to those that won't obey.
Hiding another accusation about me in someone else's post again. While running like a sissy from direct debate? What a hypocritical coward.

1. The article equates the free PERSONAL expression of a core tenant of faith to something being imposed on ALL society. Is it just ignorance or deliberate humanist deceit? Is there a 'rational, moral humanist' I could ask???

2. Both Santorum and Hunkabee decried the shift from Constitutional practice into the recent assertion that a viable unborn child is not a person, or that a mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered couple equates to marriage. Things that our Founding Fathers would turn over in their graves about.

They did not seek to impose new or different understandings. Moreover, there is no equatable comparison between a Christian society and a Sharia Law society.

Still not man enough defend your charge of homophobia?

Smile.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#215608 Feb 28, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You tout his scholarship, and link to the man, as if as if that bestows some sort of validity,
It does. It sounds like you are implying his PH.D.s along with his 30+ years of experience is of little validity to you.
even going as far to classify him as a legitimate scholar,
Ehrman is a legitimate scholar with 30+ years of experience.
and went so far as to say that - "you aren't even worthy to carry his briefcase" - or something to that effect.
Yes to those who denies the existence of Jesus.
So what I'm understanding, is that his views are valid as long as you find benefit in the view, if not, it's then that you discard his scholarship.
Discard his soft atheism not his scholarship.Ehrman comes to different conclusions with the same evidence and debates with scholars. He feigns ignorance when it comes to resurrection. If there is anything from history which would validate resurrection as a hoax he would be on it. There isn't. That means resurrection is history and he knows it but will not admit it. If crucifixion is history then so is resurrection.

“It's time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#215609 Feb 28, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar.
You never defended me-- when I was being bullied by your fellow Genuine Christholes™.
You joined in in the bullying, in fact.
You lie.
It's how you roll, I guess.
I get the impression that one WAS the school bully. Nothing's changed.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#215610 Feb 28, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to explain Australia's record?
When they got rid of nearly all the guns in their country, including almost all handguns-- gun deaths went **DOWN** so dramatically, that everyone was surprised.
But you cannot explain that-- because you prefer your delusions instead.
That was mostly because of the Port Arthur Massacre of 1996.
http://www.abc.net.au/archives/80days/stories...
http://www.portarthur.org.au/index.aspx...

I think the scumbag who did that should be subjected to the same regimen as the convicts were @ Port Arthur in the old days.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#215611 Feb 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the nature of science. LOL
Unfortunately little of ancient materials survive. However, recent excavations at Hadrians wall uncovered many messages on wood "note pads" from common soldiers stationed there in the first to second centuries demonstrating that literacy was quite common.
There is NO evidence of widespread illiteracy. it is merely an assumption that illiteracy was wide spread.
Ancient graffiti. Well, well, well.

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#215612 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you must vomit a lot.
Only when I think of paedophiles and rapist and to be honest I don’t have as many nightmares as I used to have thanks for your concern

#215613 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You said I'd get shot in the foot.
It's just as much of a "threat" as when I told you why I missed you...
I said – shoot yourself in the foot

Why do you need to twist my words to make excuses for your own inadequacy?

Can you not make it by being truthfull?

#215614 Feb 28, 2014
Before you get an erection - truthful?

#215616 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.....
That monkey that sits on my should....
Is that more European slang?
Don’t know, I first heard it in the US

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#215617 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hooray for you!
Did you know that 'gym' is short for 'gymnasium'?
Yes, and did you know what it really means in Greek?

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#215618 Feb 28, 2014
"How to Determine if Your Religious Liberty Is Being Threatened in Just 10 Quick Questions."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-emily-c-hea...
Just pick "A" or "B" for each question.
1. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to go to a religious service of my own choosing.
B) Others are allowed to go to religious services of their own choosing.
2. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to marry the person I love legally, even though my religious community blesses my marriage.
B) Some states refuse to enforce my own particular religious beliefs on marriage on those two guys in line down at the courthouse.
3. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am being forced to use birth control.
B) I am unable to force others to not use birth control.
4. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to pray privately.
B) I am not allowed to force others to pray the prayers of my faith publicly.
5. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) Being a member of my faith means that I can be bullied without legal recourse.
B) I am no longer allowed to use my faith to bully gay kids with impunity.
6. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to purchase, read or possess religious books or material.
B) Others are allowed to have access books, movies and websites that I do not like.
7. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) My religious group is not allowed equal protection under the establishment clause.
B) My religious group is not allowed to use public funds, buildings and resources as we would like, for whatever purposes we might like.
8. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) Another religious group has been declared the official faith of my country.
B) My own religious group is not given status as the official faith of my country.
9. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) My religious community is not allowed to build a house of worship in my community.
B) A religious community I do not like wants to build a house of worship in my community.
10. My religious liberty is at risk because:
A) I am not allowed to teach my children the creation stories of our faith at home.
B) Public school science classes are teaching science.
Scoring key:
If you answered "A" to any question, then perhaps your religious liberty is indeed at stake. You and your faith group have every right to now advocate for equal protection under the law. But just remember this one little, constitutional, concept: this means you can fight for your equality -- not your superiority.
If you answered "B" to any question, then not only is your religious liberty not at stake, but there is a strong chance that you are oppressing the religious liberties of others. This is the point where I would invite you to refer back to the tenets of your faith, especially the ones about your neighbors.
I'll pay that one.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#215619 Feb 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Gospel of John is so full if errors about Judaism and out right lies that it is a disgrace to everything that the Jesus of Mark and Matthew taught.
Curiously, it is the favorite (sometimes only) Gospel of Christians.
Without the Gospel of John (which is actually a 'Gnostic' text) Modern Christianity would collapse.
I wonder if it's so much a Gnostic text, or the bits of vague clumsy Gnostic references are just another example of the amalgam of popular regional influences incorporated into the fully developed product that is GoJohn.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#215620 Feb 28, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> John 11:48 pre supposes it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.
8 If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”
----------
John 10:33. Indicates the Jews understood the Deity claims of Jesus and that is why Jesus is accused of blasphemy. Jesus did not deny.
----------
33 The Jews answered Him,“For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
----------
Or John 11:48 is written to appear as if it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.

Like I said, more than the other gospels, John wad written with a clear purpose in mind, to address all the weaknesses present in the previous attempts.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215621 Feb 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
He never even came close to claiming to be God.
Christianity simply refuses to accept the proper use of Hebrew idioms.
Example:
Son of Man and Messiah are not claims to be God.
All Christianity does is make shit up and call it facts.
"I and the Father are one."
"There is nothing in these clothes but God"
"I existed since before Abraham"
"I am the son of Man"
"I am the son of God."
- ME 9:37
None of which is even blasphemy in Judaism let alone claims to be God.
"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

"before Abraham was born, I am!"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215622 Feb 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I forgot you, and Aerobatty, and Karl.
Are you compiling your next all male, multicultural shower fun-fun time?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215623 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All we've got is a bunch of opinionated, retarded, fact-hating, Christian-hating Topix Atheists! here.
Are you complaining that you don't get the respect you deserve?
Not complaining, commenting.

You should learn the difference.

#215624 Feb 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide these "Roman Archives".
No conspiracy at all. They don't exist.
As I say to the theists, "Where are these 'Secret Squirrel Scrolls' you claim to have ?"
I do not have them – Yeah he says

They were supplied in a UNI project more than 25 year’s ago.

Actually is was photographs because who was going trust a bunch of students with the real thing?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215625 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
when the Topix Atheist!(you) says something like "Christians can't be trusted with statistics", you get all pissy when the tables are turned and you get called a bigot.
It was you that went apoplectic over my announcement that I don't trust Christians with statistics. You've got a lot of nerve complaining about that after your recent display. Trust is earned, not demanded. Respect, too.
Again, not complaining, commenting.

So far, none of you Topix Atheists! have bothered refuting any of it, you just attack me and accuse me of complaining.

Go figure.

#215626 Feb 28, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
After Googling him, I totally agree. Leaded petrol was abandoned years ago here, but I'm sure the environment still suffers...
He was also responsible for CFCs as coolant to replace that nasty ammonia in fridges and freezers

He contracted polio and invented a lift to help him in and out of bed.

He was strangled in the workings

In my view it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 45 min shinningelectr0n 1,275,358
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr IB DaMann 6,853
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 29,921
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Fri _Bad Axe 310,476
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 16 Doctor Justice_ 201,862
More from around the web