Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#215653 Feb 28, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> John 11:48 pre supposes it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.
8 If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”
----------
John 10:33. Indicates the Jews understood the Deity claims of Jesus and that is why Jesus is accused of blasphemy. Jesus did not deny.
----------
33 The Jews answered Him,“For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
----------
I disagree.

Men made him look to be "God" not himself. They couldn't handle a radical amongst them - one who spoke out against their "laws".

Please remember - everything you read is of a second-hand source and with so many different copies of the NT - one really needs to realize that words have been changed to fit the tehology of those men who were governing the copies.

What you read today, is probablhy not what was actually written word for word, or could be a re-write of what was actually stated or observed.

8 If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”
- Sounds like Jewish leaders are jealous of him - making him out to be "God"....in error.

----------
John 10:33. Indicates the Jews understood the Deity claims of Jesus and that is why Jesus is accused of blasphemy. Jesus did not deny.
33 The Jews answered Him,“For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”

- Again - jealousy seems to be a factor of motive to erroneously label Jesus with "God".

Jesus never called himself "God" - why should you?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#215654 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember what I told you about your so-called advice?
I do vote.
I'll bet you're the kinda guy that voted for Schwarzenegger and Brown, huh?
I did not vote for Arnold.

I did vote for my friend Jerry Brown, and I'll vote for him again in November, and he will be reelected.

Brown is a good guy and an effective Governor.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215655 Feb 28, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all a ruse to keep followers.
They would rather lie about Jesus, than to be honest.
I find it quite hard to believe that they will be last in line with me.....*smiles*.....
Hmmm

John 10:30
"I and the Father are one.”

Game.
Set.
Match.

Albuquerque, NM

#215656 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehrman is not even a christian, much less a christian apologist.
That's you, dogpile. Always wrong.
Buck - you are correct - he used to be, but now he claims himself as Agnostic - as everyone who is honest should.

http://ehrmanblog.org/am-i-an-agnostic-or-an-...

"Am I an Agnostic or an Atheist?QUESTION:

If you don’t think God exists, why do you refer to yourself as an agnostic? If this is your perspective, why not refer to yourself as an atheist? Could it be that you don’t believe the Christian God exists, but are open to the possibility that some kind of higher power exists (this is my perspective) and this is why you call yourself agnostic?

ANSWER:

I have been getting this question a lot, and so I’ve decided to try to explain my position a bit more fully here in this post.

The first thing to say is that I had no idea how militant both atheists and agnostics could be about their labels, until I became an agnostic myself!

FOR THE REST OF THIS POST, see the Members Site. If you don’t belong yet, JOIN!! "

Albuquerque, NM

#215657 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep reading..... I included:
"A married man can tell you he's married without saying "I'm married". He can say "Meet my wife" or "Today's is our wedding anniversary" or "I'm her husband". No matter which of those he says, you quote clearly understand that he's married."
Super Husband?
Not a very good comaprison, especially since religion is a different topic than marriage.

You analogy is like me saying.....

"I am Spirit - I was before Moses."

There - I meet all the requirements of your analogy, and I also meet the qualifications to call myself "God".

C'mon RR - move past the words and understadn their meanigs.

Albuquerque, NM

#215658 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm
Game.
Set.
Match.
Yes one Spirit.

"I and the Father are one, also." - New Age

Looks like you spoke too soon.

Albuquerque, NM

#215659 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm
Game.
Set.
Match.
BTW - this is not Jesus stating, "I am God".

But you like to twist out any ol' perception that you believe men could do.

Why not, huh? After-all, you like ot follow men and their beliefs, right?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215660 Feb 28, 2014
<quoted text>
It's all a ruse to keep followers.
They would rather lie about Jesus, than to be honest.
I find it quite hard to believe that they will be last in line with me.....*smiles*.....
I agree.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215661 Feb 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Sorry, I forgot you, and Aerobatty, and Karl.
Most atheists are humanists. The alternatives are things like Stalinist and astrologist.

I tend to redirect the theists who first callus atheist, which is correct, and treat all atheist as if that implied Stalinist or Maoist.

It s pretty frigging dishonest - slanderous/libelous, actually. but not for theists. We see it a lot.

When I see , I tend to want to put Stalinism and Maoism beck into their proper category along with Islam and Christianity - you know, totalitarian ideologies based on faith in, worship of, and submission to a larger than life persona, replete with genocide, characterized by anger and threats - typical autocratic dictatorships - and point out how averse we are to such values. Humanists are the best defense against the Christian church and other institutions and ideologies that not only don't resist genocide, partake of it.

To Christians:

I invite any Christian that thinks otherwise to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could? Are any of you Christians aware of such a time and place where the Christian church had the power to do those things, but tool a moral stand and said, "No!" to genocide when it wasn't benefiting by doing so? There must be a few moral successes among the myriad failures.

Fennario

#215662 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
.the Wiki page on the Historicity of Jesus starts off with the warning... "The neutrality of this article is disputed."
Christians edit Wiki. I guess that they can't erase the site's disclaimers.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215663 Feb 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I did not vote for Arnold.
I did vote for my friend Jerry Brown, and I'll vote for him again in November, and he will be reelected.
Brown is a good guy and an effective Governor.
*might be* reelected.

What makes you think he's a good guy or an effective governor?

Fennario

#215664 Feb 28, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
All of Ehrman's books presupposes Jesus exists. He leans towards atheism
Atheism isn't something you can lean to. You accept a god claim you don't. If he believes in gods of any type, he's not an atheist. I suspect that he is a theist, but uses words like agnostic because he doesn't accept parts of the bible, or doesn't accept the Christian god.

Who knows? All I can tell you is that he doesn't pass the stink test for dispassionate objectivity in scholarship. Even if he is sincere, he's not credible.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215665 Feb 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Not a very good comaprison, especially since religion is a different topic than marriage.
You analogy is like me saying.....
"I am Spirit - I was before Moses."
There - I meet all the requirements of your analogy, and I also meet the qualifications to call myself "God".
C'mon RR - move past the words and understadn their meanigs.
I understadn their meanigs just fine.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215666 Feb 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:

I tend to redirect the theists who first callus atheist, which is correct, and treat all atheist as if that implied Stalinist or Maoist.
It s pretty frigging dishonest - slanderous/libelous, actually.
Ooohhhhhhhh..... You no likey being compared to Stalin or Mao?

Guess what. I don't like being compared to Duke or Phelps.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215667 Feb 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Most atheists are humanists. The alternatives are things like Stalinist and astrologist.
It s pretty frigging dishonest - slanderous/libelous, actually. but not for theists. We see it a lot.
When I see , I tend to want to put Stalinism and Maoism beck into their proper category along with Islam and Christianity - you know, totalitarian ideologies based on faith in, worship of, and submission to a larger than life persona, replete with genocide, characterized by anger and threats - typical autocratic dictatorships - and point out how averse we are to such values. Humanists are the best defense against the Christian church and other institutions and ideologies that not only don't resist genocide, partake of it.
I see. "Most atheists are humanists" except for atheists like Stalin and Mao.

Huh.

You cannot put Stalinism and Maoism back into their "proper" category along with Islam and Christianity because they are opposite categories.

Fennario

#215668 Feb 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Hiding another accusation about me in someone else's post again. While running like a sissy from direct debate? What a hypocritical coward.
You're mental.
KiMare wrote:
The article equates the free PERSONAL expression of a core tenant of faith to something being imposed on ALL society. Is it just ignorance or deliberate humanist deceit? Is there a 'rational, moral humanist' I could ask???
Ask your doctor if Zyprexa is right for you.
KiMare wrote:
Both Santorum and Hunkabee decried the shift from Constitutional practice into the recent assertion that a viable unborn child is not a person, or that a mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered couple equates to marriage. Things that our Founding Fathers would turn over in their graves about.
Have you noticed how many fewer people these days seem to be interested in what Jesus would recommend?
KiMare wrote:
Still not man enough defend your charge of homophobia?
Smile.
Are you sure you want to go there? You have a vagina or something concave.

And with all due respect, your questions don't matter.You're a homophobe. That's all you need to know. Believe it on faith.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215669 Feb 28, 2014
To Christians:
I invite any Christian that thinks otherwise to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could? Are any of you Christians aware of such a time and place where the Christian church had the power to do those things, but tool a moral stand and said, "No!" to genocide when it wasn't benefiting by doing so? There must be a few moral successes among the myriad failures.
Nothing anyone could tell you would change your one track mind.

I could tell you how the Catholic Church spent hundreds of years dedicating people and resources to the then new inception of the hospital. Your profession exists because the Catholic Church invented it.

Christians started the education system. Catholics invented the first modem universities.

Christians pioneered modern Social Work.

Ever hear of the Red Cross? Founded by a Catholic priest.

The Bible has been called "the most influential book in the world", "the most important book in English religion and culture", and "the most celebrated book in the English-speaking world".

Hear of Magna Carta? Christians did that.

What about Martin Luther King? Christian.

Christians invented a way for the blind to read, Braille.

Habitat for Humanity? Christians.

Salvation Army.

Countless missionary doctors around the world and throughout time have sacrificed so much to help strangers, my grandpa was one of them.

Out of the initial 110 universities in the US, 100 had Christian foundations, you probably went to one.

Ever hear of William Wilberforce? Somehow I doubt it.

Now. What the hell has atheism done for mankind?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#215670 Feb 28, 2014
i came over here to see if there are any hot babes, but all i see are the usual suspects....:-(

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215672 Feb 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
i came over here to see if there are any hot babes, but all i see are the usual suspects....:-(
What am I, chopped liver?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#215673 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What am I, chopped liver?
Gram pa's stink bait.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Notliz 1,643,675
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min Susanm 320,386
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 11,806
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Trojan 34,849
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 9 Randy-From-Wooster 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web