Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
206,701 - 206,720 of 226,554 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215249 Feb 26, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, amigo, but there is no symmetry here. Faith based thinking and a general disrespect for scholarship and the values of academia render your conclusions as useless to an evidence based thinker and ours are to a faith based thinker. Don't pretend that your stuff is valid outside of church. It's not. That's just how it is.
I would drop this recent campaign of yours seeking parity in the discussion. You're not going to get anything that you like with it.
Sure there's symmetry.

"Christians can't be trusted with statistics" is equally as intolerant and bigoted a statement as "Humanists can't be trusted with statistics".

The big difference is that you were serious while I was merely mocking your bigotry.

Location hidden

#215250 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your link says that.
"Masturbation prepares you for great sex"
Own it. Masturbation is not sex.
BenAdam wrote:
You giving hand jobs to your coworkers doesn't make you gay ?
ROFLMAO
What "University" taught you that masturbation means giving someone other than yourself a hand job?

You should get a refund, purfesir.

Get up off the floor, you're embarrassing the other atheists here.

Location hidden

#215251 Feb 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:

I am glad your wife told you about me.
Buck Crick wrote:
Yeah. She called you "Pencil-Dick".
Mrs RR has always been known to be generous...

Location hidden

#215252 Feb 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, don't get so worked up because people can have sex without a man involved. That's where this discussion started, right? You don't like it when women say they can have sex with each other.
Here's the deal. Not everybody is so misogynistic and/or sexually repressed that they think the male/female missionary position is the definition of sex.
How's Mrs. Neck doing? Good I hope.
Two women can be sexual with each other but they can't have sex.

Sorry.

Mrs RR is great.

But she got a sunburn on her cleavage.

Maybe I should call her Mrs RedBoobs.

Location hidden

#215253 Feb 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, don't get so worked up because people can have sex without a man involved. That's where this discussion started, right? You don't like it when women say they can have sex with each other.
Here's the deal. Not everybody is so misogynistic and/or sexually repressed that they think the male/female missionary position is the definition of sex.
And furthermore!(lol)

Why do you always bring up the missionary position with me? Do you think I'm sexually deprived or something and know no other position?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#215254 Feb 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Paul predates the Gospels. Back to Ehrman.
With respect to Jesus, we have numerous, independent accounts of his life in the sources lying behind the Gospels (and the writings of Paul)-- sources that originated in Jesus' native tongue Aramaic and that can be dated to within just a year or two of his life (before the religion moved to convert pagans in droves). Historical sources like that are is pretty astounding for an ancient figure of any kind. Moreover, we have relatively extensive writings from one first-century author, Paul, who acquired his information within a couple of years of Jesus' life and who actually knew, first hand, Jesus' closest disciple Peter and his own brother James. If Jesus did not exist, you would think his brother would know it.
----------
Secular sources not likely to use the Gospels
http://thedevineevidence.com/jesus_history.ht...
CORNELIUS TACITUS (55 - 120 A.D.) Tacitus was a 1st and 2nd century Roman historian who lived through the reigns of over half a dozen
Roman emperors. Considered one of the greatest historians of ancient Rome, Tacitus verifies the Biblical account of Jesus' execution at the
hands of Pontius Pilate who governed Judea from 26-36 A.D. during the reign of Tiberius.
"Christus, the founder of the [Christian] name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius. But the
pernicious superstition, repressed for a time, broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, by through the city of
Rome also." Annals XV, 44...
Skeptic Interjection: Could Tacitus have taken his information from Christian sources?
Answer: Because of his position as a professional historian and not as a commentator, it is more likely Tacitus referenced government
records over Christian testimony. It is also possible Tacitus received some of his information from his friend and fellow secular historian, Pliny
the Younger. Yet, even if Tacitus referenced some of Pliny's sources, it would be out of his character to have done so without critical
investigation. An example of Tacitus criticising testimony given to him even from his dear friend Pliny is found here: Annals XV, 55. Tacitus
distinguishes between confirmed and hearsay accounts almost 70 times in his History. If he felt this account of Jesus was only a rumor or
folklore, he would have issued his usual disclaimer that this account was unverified.
----------
<quoted text> The Gospels can be used to establish existence.
You really can't use Paul or the writings ascribed to his for any kind of historical evidence. There is no record of his death and NO information on his life. Paul's own account of his life is found in Galatians--his epistles are found in the "book of Acts," Biblical scholars say that information is "acts" directly contradicts his accounts in Galatians. There are no autographed copies of his writings and NO original manuscripts.

The evidence for most of the history connected to the bible and Christianity just keeps unravelling. There are many biblical scholars who would discount the Gospels as any kind of evidence, I have already posted some of those, in addition, Most biblical scholars say that the Pentateuch was really written almost 1,000 years after the time attributed to Moses's time. On this view Moses did not write any part of the bible. Evidence indicated it was written by Levite priesthood who wrote the Levitical laws in the bible.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#215255 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your link says that.
""Masturbation prepares you for great sex"
Solo Sex is a sexual activity.
Masturbation is a sexual activity.

No I don't really call it sex, but it is by definition.
After masturbating ,I wouldn't be saying anything like..
Man that was some good sex. lol
But a sex act is sex

sex say it! sex
sexsexsex
sexxxes lmao .

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#215256 Feb 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not that repressed when it comes to positions.

I have tried:

The Flying Dutchman, The Penal Colada, The Plump Pumpkin, The PB&J, The Garden Salad, The Taco Tackle, Summer Sausage, The Anal Cruelty, The Urethra Punch, The Squealin' Pig, The Squirmin' Sherman, The Clitoral Crunch, The Red Baron, The Portuguese Pot Holder, Bumper Cars, The Big Dipper, and the Twisted Doggy.

Some of those make me hungry.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215257 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your link says that.
"Masturbation prepares you for great sex"
<quoted text>
What "University" taught you that masturbation means giving someone other than yourself a hand job?
You should get a refund, purfesir.
Get up off the floor, you're embarrassing the other atheists here.
What did your mother call it when she was jerking you off ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#215258 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry.
Mrs RR is great.
Sexual without sex ?

More word salad from RR.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#215259 Feb 26, 2014
"Joseph jerked off into Mary and that is how they got a 'Virgin Birth'." - RR

“Love much, trust none”

There

#215260 Feb 26, 2014
"Fish reproduce without sex." - RR

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215261 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice that IANS said "Christians shouldn't be trusted with statistics"?
Of course you didn't.
Don't wanna cry ad hominem or bigot on your own kind, eh?
I saw that. A bit of hyperbole.

And in your case I agree with him. You don't understand statistics. And worse, when something about statistics is explained to you, you refuse to learn.

As IANS says, your brain is broken and religion is the reason.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#215262 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This is funny coming from the Topix Atheist! Spelling Police Chief.....
Excellent rebuttal.

In the law, there's a saying: If the law is on your side, pound the law. If the facts are on your side, pound the facts. If neither the law nor the facts are on your side, pound the table.

You're a perfect example of a table pounder.

#215263 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Louisiana does not have the highest murder rate by firearm, California does. In 2011, LA had 402 murders by firearm, CA had 1,220.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in ...
<quoted text>
No they don't. I'm referring to the quantity of murders by firearm per year.
1) California has the highest number of gun murders of any state.

2) California has the highest number of Christians of any state.

What do you conclude from these two facts?

San Francisco, CA

#215264 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry.
Mrs RR is great.
Don't hit her until she recovers from the sunburn.

San Francisco, CA

#215265 Feb 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not that repressed when it comes to positions.
I have tried:
The Flying Dutchman, The Penal Colada, The Plump Pumpkin, The PB&J, The Garden Salad, The Taco Tackle, Summer Sausage, The Anal Cruelty, The Urethra Punch, The Squealin' Pig, The Squirmin' Sherman, The Clitoral Crunch, The Red Baron, The Portuguese Pot Holder, Bumper Cars, The Big Dipper, and the Twisted Doggy.
Some of those make me hungry.
I have a banana you can put in your jello.

#215266 Feb 26, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You really can't use Paul or the writings ascribed to his for any kind of historical evidence. There is no record of his death and NO information on his life. Paul's own account of his life is found in Galatians--his epistles are found in the "book of Acts," Biblical scholars say that information is "acts" directly contradicts his accounts in Galatians. There are no autographed copies of his writings and NO original manuscripts.
The evidence for most of the history connected to the bible and Christianity just keeps unravelling. There are many biblical scholars who would discount the Gospels as any kind of evidence, I have already posted some of those, in addition, Most biblical scholars say that the Pentateuch was really written almost 1,000 years after the time attributed to Moses's time. On this view Moses did not write any part of the bible. Evidence indicated it was written by Levite priesthood who wrote the Levitical laws in the bible.
A good many Biblical scholars believe there were 4 groups of priests that were responsible for writing the Pentateuch. The E group, E standing for Elohim. The J group, J standing for YHWH (which is spelled JHWH in German). The D group, the writers of Deuteronomy. And the P group, the priest in Babylon.

There is no historical or archeological evidence of Moses. In fact, there is no evidence of the Israelites in Egypt at all.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#215267 Feb 26, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you conclude from these two facts?
UM...

that

Other than that, I cant say...not enough information.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#215268 Feb 26, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
A good many Biblical scholars believe there were 4 groups of priests that were responsible for writing the Pentateuch. The E group, E standing for Elohim. The J group, J standing for YHWH (which is spelled JHWH in German). The D group, the writers of Deuteronomy. And the P group, the priest in Babylon.
There is no historical or archeological evidence of Moses. In fact, there is no evidence of the Israelites in Egypt at all.
Correct.

Even modern Rabbis admit that the "Books of Moses" were not written by Moses and that they are not "Histories" but rather legends and stories passed down by tradition.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Stu Rumsfeld 1,101,343
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Brian_G 305,485
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr PEE PEE PETE 27,102
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Aug 26 RICK SERVICE 29
offer Aug 23 Peter 1
Addition of Emmitt Holt is "Big" for Indiana Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
Ex-Hoosier Zeller embraces NBA learning Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••