Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#215059 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I just find it amusing when a lesbian says she had sex with a woman.
Although two women can be sexual with each other, they can't have sex.
Oral and finger play isn't sex.
Then men and women across the country are arrested and convicted for soliciting sex on false premises, wouldn't you say?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#215060 Feb 25, 2014
< Expert Quote> Bart D. Ehrman states that the existence of Jesus and his crucifixion by the Romans is attested to by a wide range of sources, including Josephus and Tacitus.[36]

Josephus was not a contemporary of Jesus, he lived decades after his death and could only know about the life of Jesus through "hearsay" Stories passed on from one to the next.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#215061 Feb 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I 'demanded' no such thing. I asked It Ain't to provide a historical example of a country that removed religion as she was suggesting.
Here is a brief history of failure;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
It is why you girls are in a flurry of confusion, lying and denial.
God help you if you are the best 'rational atheists' around!
Smile.
Hippo wrote:
<quoted text>I know, I thought I could get away with it. I don't have the moral integrity to face my deceit, so I just keep dishing it out. It makes a farce out of being a 'rational atheist', doesn't it?
Yes, it really does.

Smirk.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#215062 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A rate is a measurement, a quantity OR a frequency.
To say "California has the highest murder rate by firearm than any or state" is a 100% thing to say.
To say "Washington, DC has the highest murder rate per capita by firearm" is another true sentence.
A 100% thing to say?

What?

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#215063 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't decide what's worse, your OCD or your pedantry.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#215064 Feb 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Historicity of Jesus is established..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J...
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[1][2][3][8][9][10] In antiquity, the existence of Jesus was never denied by those who opposed Christianity....[24] According to New Testament scholar James Dunn, nearly all modern scholars consider the baptism of Jesus and his crucifixion to be historically certain.[5][42] He states that these "two facts in the life of Jesus command almost universal assent" and "rank so high on the 'almost impossible to doubt or deny' scale of historical facts" that they are often the starting points for the study of the historical Jesus... Bart D. Ehrman states that the existence of Jesus and his crucifixion by the Romans is attested to by a wide range of sources, including Josephus and Tacitus.[36]
----------
Ehrman puts people like you in the same category as holocaust deniers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bart-d-ehrman/d...
share this story
Submit this story
In a society in which people still claim the Holocaust did not happen, and in which there are resounding claims that the American president is, in fact, a Muslim born on foreign soil, is it any surprise to learn that the greatest figure in the history of Western civilization, the man on whom the most powerful and influential social, political, economic, cultural and religious institution in the world -- the Christian church -- was built, the man worshipped, literally, by billions of people today -- is it any surprise to hear that Jesus never even existed?
That is the claim made by a small but growing cadre of (published ) writers, bloggers and Internet junkies who call themselves mythicists. This unusually vociferous group of nay-sayers maintains that Jesus is a myth invented for nefarious (or altruistic) purposes by the early Christians who modeled their savior along the lines of pagan divine men who, it is alleged, were also born of a virgin on Dec. 25, who also did miracles, who also died as an atonement for sin and were then raised from the dead.
----------
Stop your denial of reality. It makes you look foolish. Even with folks in your own camp.
I would agree, those who deny the holocaust are in fact willfully ignorant. There is photographic evidence for the holocaust, there were, and maybe still are, eyewitnesses to this horror, people who were apart of it. There was physical evidence in the remains found in mass graves, and of course the GI's who were the first on the scene at the end of the war.

Big difference between the evidence we see for the holocaust and the LACK of evidence we find for the existence of Jesus. Twist and turn as you may, the fact remains...."There are NO contemporary accounts for Jesus outside of the bible"

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#215065 Feb 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2HN/post 214874
<quoted text>
At any rate, I don't think RR knows what a "rate" is.
I was going to try to explain some stuff to him the other day, but... it's RR.
I took a class called Probability and Statistics when I was in high school. What I learned, is that one must approach statistics with either great skepticism, or great understanding. Many people think that because you have lots of data, you can say something definitive about causality. You are actually quite limited on what you can conclude, in most cases.
In the US, as most people are today, statistics may as well be stage magic.
He doesn't seem to know what sex is either.

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#215066 Feb 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Then men and women across the country are arrested and convicted for soliciting sex on false premises, wouldn't you say?
As usual, the redneck has his head up his ass.

His definition of sex isn't accepted in any jurisdiction.

Sex crimes include a wide variety of activities.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215067 Feb 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Would you say there is no difference between a sex act and sexual intercourse?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215068 Feb 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Yeah.
You know I pointed out from the onset what I was speaking of, and my words were:
"most murder per capita, by firearm"
So what? That wasn't my words.

I said that California has the highest gun murder rate in the country.

That is true.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#215069 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, fellow Christians. Sex is now only between a male and female. We may allow those gays to have Civil Genital Interaction but not Sex. Never Sex.

Amen.

Pass the plate, Chester.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215070 Feb 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Hey I am just quoting the experts. They are the ones who say Jesus was baptized by John and crucified via Pilate. its not my claim it is the claim of the experts. I'm just relaying the info.
<quoted text> They don't disagree on everything. <quoted text> LOL. Try to be original. Its not my fault you are in denial and kinda in the same category as holocaust deniers. Sure some Jews were killed but not 6 million??? That is basically where you are at with Jesus. Sure he existed by lets not get into Pilate or baptism by John. Take a reality break hypno.
Your "experts" have zero facts to support their .. suppositions.

Zero as in none, nada, nothing, not-a-thing.

I'm still waiting for you to show **documentation** that proves a historical Jesus.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215071 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The experts say there is little evidence that either John or Jesus existed.
You are confusing scholars with preachers.
Exactly.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215072 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure do talk a lot about what you call a nonexistent character of mythology.
Obsessed much?
Only because you want to meet him, and let him do you in your rear...

... I'm nice like that, helping you fulfill your deepest fantasy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215073 Feb 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. perhaps there are records on olive oil sales because it was a major economic product ??..
.. I'm sorry Bob, it still doesn't make sense to me. The Romans did not record the crucifixion of every thief or heretic, it wasn't important to them ..
.. now, cobbling gospels together that refer to a resurrection and ascension is possible ..
.. twas an interesting debate! Thanks ..
:)

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#215074 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you say there is no difference between a sex act and sexual intercourse?
What does that have to do with the discussion?

Another Redneck "red herring"?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215075 Feb 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
BenAdam wrote:
THE GRAIN OFFERING IS IN TH FORM OF 'BISCUITS' OR 'FLATBREADS'.
<quoted text>
If I add bacon, egg and cheese to either, is is still a grain offering?
:o)
Either way - I'm "offering" it to my stomach!!
Anything with bacon has to be good, right?

Somewhere, someone is enjoying a nice dish (or cone) of bacon ice-cream.

... mmmmmmm!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215076 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Even AA is becoming less religious...
The boom in nonreligious A.A. represents another manifestation of a more visible and confident humanist movement in the United States, one that has featured public figures such as Bill Maher, Sam Harris and the late Christopher Hitchens. Yet this recent trend within A.A. also marks a departure from the organizationís traditional emphasis on religion.
End quote
--New York Times
That is promising.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215077 Feb 25, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
As usual, the redneck has his head up his ass.
His definition of sex isn't accepted in any jurisdiction.
Sex crimes include a wide variety of activities.
When did this turn to sex crimes?!

I was talking about consensual sex and consensual sex acts.

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215078 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
If you only had a real education and the ability to read beyond a 6th grade level you would have.
Thanks for proving once again that Christianity is the religion of morons and liars.
Hey! Buck spent 4 years in the 6th grade!

That is something to be proud of, right?

<snerk>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min RoxLo 1,685,673
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 min June VanDerMark 326,802
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 30 min Long Dongluv 35,377
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr WelbyMD 12,084
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan 17 Sweet 293
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan 4 NicePhartts 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Dec 24 Randy from Wooster 201,884
More from around the web