Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#214654 Feb 24, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The resurrection of Jesus is hardly "actual History." First when you consider there are NO contemporary accounts for Jesus outside of the bible. Any account for Jesus outside the bible are NOT contemporary, most are stories written about Jesus decades after his death. Many biblical scholars doubt the very existence of Jesus, at least the Jesus portrayed in the bible.
So says Professor Michael White from the University of Texas. "The Gospels are NOT biographies in the modern sense of the word, rather they are stories told in such a way as to invoke a certain image of Jesus for a particular audience. Think of these stories as a kind of "Preaching."
Paula Fredriksen professor of Appreciation of scriptures from Boston University. "The Gospel about Jesus are a kind of religious advertisment."
Allan Callahan professor at Harvard Divinity says, "You cannot take the Gospels as a factual account of the life of Jesus. The Gospels are of little value as eyewitness account of his life"
.. to promote Christianity, Jesus had to be Divine with the same powers of any mythical god . Hence, you have the virgin birth, resurrection and ascension ..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214655 Feb 24, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
But it's so funny. I love it when the mask slips. It's helpful.
It *is* funny as heck.

It's also proof that the god they believe in, doesn't do a damn thing useful--

--**especially** not at helping people be better people.

Proof?

Any random godbot on the atheist threads...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214656 Feb 24, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The resurrection of Jesus is hardly "actual History." First when you consider there are NO contemporary accounts for Jesus outside of the bible.
You don't need contemporary accounts to establish historicity.
Any account for Jesus outside the bible are NOT contemporary,
You don't need contemporary accounts to establish historicity. Is any of this sinking in?
most are stories written about Jesus decades after his death.
The letters of Paul contain hymns or creeds that go back to within a few years of the death of Jesus according to Ehrman.
Many biblical scholars doubt the very existence of Jesus,
No they do not.
at least the Jesus portrayed in the bible.
Well they deny His divinity and they deny resurrection. Ehrman feigns ignorance.
So says Professor Michael White from the University of Texas. "The Gospels are NOT biographies in the modern sense of the word, rather they are stories told in such a way as to invoke a certain image of Jesus for a particular audience. Think of these stories as a kind of "Preaching."
None of that denies the historicity of Jesus.
Paula Fredriksen professor of Appreciation of scriptures from Boston University. "The Gospel about Jesus are a kind of religious advertisment."
None of that denies the historicity of Jesus.
Allan Callahan professor at Harvard Divinity says, "You cannot take the Gospels as a factual account of the life of Jesus. The Gospels are of little value as eyewitness account of his life"
Does he deny the historicity of Jesus? Does he deny Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist? Does Allan Callahan deny Jesus was crucified via Pilate?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214657 Feb 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is not a historical figure?
<quoted text>
^ Jump up to: a b In a 2011 review of the state of modern scholarship, Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees" B. Ehrman, 2011 Forged : writing in the name of God ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. page 285
^ Jump up to: a b Michael Grant (a classicist) states that "In recent years,'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary." in Jesus by Michael Grant 2004 ISBN 1898799881 page 200
^ Jump up to: a b Richard A. Burridge states: "There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more." in Jesus Now and Then by Richard A. Burridge and Graham Gould (Apr 1, 2004) ISBN 0802809774 page 34
Smile.
NONE of your quote-mines support your claim-- they are each and every one-- OPINION.

NONE refute my request for DOCUMENTATION DURING JESUS ALLEGED LIFE.

None.

You don't have any.

Therefore?

Your Jesus is pure myth.

NEXT!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214658 Feb 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are.
Who Would Jesus AsFuck?

Hmmm?

I bet **YOU** know, Rancid. Don't you?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#214659 Feb 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
This is what Ehrman also has to say:
“The more I studied the manuscript tradition of the New Testament, the more I realized just how radically the text had been altered over the years at the hands of scribes, who were not only conserving scripture but also changing it." - Misquoting Jesus, the Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why - by Bart D. Ehrman
"Doctrines such as the divinity of Jesus and Heaven and Hell are not based on anything Jesus or his earlier followers said. At least 19 of the 27 books in the New Testament are forgeries. Believing the Bible is infallible is not a condition for being a Christian." - Jesus, Interrupted - by Bart D. Ehrman
More from Bart:

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#214660 Feb 24, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =H9nPf7w7pDIXX
.. Catcher is going to have a shit fit ..
Or as my Indian friend at the 7-11 says, he'll have a "fit of shit".

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214661 Feb 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what Ehrman also has to say:
“The more I studied the manuscript tradition of the New Testament, the more I realized just how radically the text had been altered over the years at the hands of scribes, who were not only conserving scripture but also changing it." - Misquoting Jesus, the Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why - by Bart D. Ehrman
"Doctrines such as the divinity of Jesus and Heaven and Hell are not based on anything Jesus or his earlier followers said. At least 19 of the 27 books in the New Testament are forgeries. Believing the Bible is infallible is not a condition for being a Christian." - Jesus, Interrupted - by Bart D. Ehrman
Indeed.

There remains zero evidence for the historicity of this Jesus character.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214663 Feb 24, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the man you call Jesus is pretty much historical fact ..
.. wouldn't his divinity rest on the resurrection and ascension, not the virgin birth? That statement seems somewhat of a misnomer to me ..
.. the Mormon concept of Jesus is rather simple: he was a perfected human being ..
Wait til the Mormons meet me...

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#214664 Feb 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I ready know your beliefs, scarscar. You don't have to repeat them to me.
I've never heard of Ehrman before today, I was mocking you for posting his opinion as if it's fact. I really don't care what he has to say.
You have a faith - only - supported belief in your religious mythology, of course you don't.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You say: "If it is a scholar that makes the claim that he believes the Jesus is a "god", then that is his belief and nothing more." Very well.
That's because there is no non biased evidence that there are "gods". When I say evidence, I mean there is no evidence which will be recognized as such by all theists and all non-theists alike.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If it is a scholar that makes the claim that he believes the Jesus is NOT a "god", then that is his belief and nothing more.(That'd be you and ole Ehrman)
That's because there is no non biased evidence that there are "gods". When I say evidence, I mean there is no evidence which will be recognized as such by all theists and all non-theists alike.

Notice; I was able to reply with the exact same wording to the last two comments made by you, above. I didn't have to reword a thing. Think about that.

Here's the question: Why is it when the decision is made, to not have a belief there are, "gods", based on there being no non biased evidence for, "gods" - and I do mean none whatsoever - considered a belief?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214665 Feb 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not Catholic, but they usually run food banks in every community across the country. They also set up free medical and homeless housing in the community where I lived to 25 years.
Your criticism is ridiculous.
So what?

I've been to these (I was going to volunteer--but changed my mind when I saw the conditions).... "food banks". They are degrading, they each and every one, require certain degrading behavior for the recipient of their "good deeds".

They are truly a heinous cult-- and their "food banks" are just as abusive.

As for your claim? Have you ***been** to one of these things? I doubt that-- you are too full of hate to volunteer to help anyone.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214666 Feb 24, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the man you call Jesus is pretty much historical fact ..
Right. There is hope for you. No hope for Bob.
.. wouldn't his divinity rest on the resurrection and ascension,
Yes in part but you can have resurrection without divinity.
not the virgin birth?
Virgin birth has to do with Deity becoming human. Death on cross means God dies twice. First spiritual then physical.
That statement seems somewhat of a misnomer to me ..
.. the Mormon concept of Jesus is rather simple: he was a perfected human being ..
I don't know what they mean by that. Perfected human being.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214667 Feb 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It Ain't ain't been around much since then has she?
Smirk.
So that's a no, then?

Your "get behind me satan" has **never** worked in the history of the world?

Likely because both your god, and your favorite, satan, are not real.

You are an idiot among idiots.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214668 Feb 24, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Bob, you can't carry his luggage. <quoted text> I gave you the whole article and I could give even more. You did not even read it or if you did there is little comprehension. Just denial. You got your head in your ass on this one, as usual.
<quoted text> You don't need documentation from Jesus time to establish historicity. It would be nice but historians go with what they have. You don't even know what you are talking about. If historians went by your standards it would eliminate plenty of historical characters including Pilate according to Ehrman. A lot of Roman rulers would be gone.
<quoted text> You are just to stubborn to admit you are wrong.
It doesn't matter.

There is NO CURRENT DOCUMENTATION about your myth, Jesus.

None.

Never has been-- because your Jesus is just a myth.

As for your appeal to an authority? So what? I don't give a crap-- if this idiot Ehrman thinks that there was a real Jesus character?

He is a low grade moron, then-- and has bought into the bullshyt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214669 Feb 24, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to have a rational response to that sort of thing.
It's a terrible injustice, but it will soon be corrected.
Cannot be too soon-- kids are literally dying and their minds are being ruined by this ugly cult.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214670 Feb 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby, that's not the issue. My challenge is to find a poster child country where religion has been eradicated.
I found 3.

Sweden is mostly atheist.

So is Denmark and so is Switzerland.

All are majority atheists.

And all have superior cultures than **any** religious country (including the USA).
All enjoy low crime rates, very low infant mortality, universal health care, and very high average salaries.

Most likely because they dumped toxic religion (apart from a purely symbolic remainder, devoid of any real substance).

And they **never** let religion interfere with **any** serious decision.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214671 Feb 24, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> We are arguing historicity, not divinity of Jesus. Ehrman confirms the historicity of the crucifixion of Jesus via Pilate and early Christians believe Jesus resurrected.
Using... what, exactly?

**HOW** did he "confirm"--- apart from his OPINION?

Did he cite actual DOCUMENTS? No?

Interesting. He's an idiot, if he is certain.

As are you.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#214672 Feb 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
No, that's not the point. My position remains the same, doesn't change, and never has, which is this:
There is no fact based, non biased evidence of the Jesus as a "divine being" - IE: a god - and that goes for any of the human imagined god(S).
This is the point.
If you're going to post an excerpt from Ehrman, claiming that his view is legitimate concerning the historicity of the Jesus!, then you must also consider Ehrmans opinion valid in other areas as well.
You, or LBR might suddenly choose to disagree with Ehrman when it comes to statements - like the ones I supplied above - that don't support your position(S).
I've also got to point out, that when historians state that the character of the Jesus! was likely a literal person, they're not stating or affirming, the Jesus! was a "god", or supernatural being.
They're only saying it is likely that a human person by that name lived, and that's - all - they are saying.
If it is a scholar that makes the claim that he believes the Jesus is a "god", then that is his belief and nothing more. He has no non biased evidence concerning that. He's not making that claim based upon evidence which will be recognized as such by theists and non-theists alike.
Back to Ehrman. When he states that there are forgeries, fabrications, and alterations within NT texts, he's making that assessment based upon - textual criticism and what can be evaluated with any sort of reasonable surety - as a scholar.
Ehrman started out as a Christian, and after he embarked upon his education at Princeton within theology, he became agnostic.
This is my opinion, but I think he's probably an atheist, but avoids that term because of what it would likely do to his success within his chosen career/profession.
I'm going to call that fallacy the Special Plea to Authority.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#214673 Feb 24, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
He has a Kubota tractor now.
Hell is getting so crowded that he started to square bail souls.
http://www.washburncompany.com/Mvc1138s.jpg

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214674 Feb 24, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No, didn't. You "shared" just as much of it as needed to make your point, which is pretty much standard fare on all topics.
You claim you are in a group plan of 250,000, which is most likely either a trade or government. You claim that your premiums increased 30% over some undefined prior amount. That's the extent of your "sharing".
I do not believe that a trade union OR government employee plan jacked your rates up 30% UNLESS you were playing the system before, and the ACA ended your game.
But you don't share what it used to be.
You don't share a comparison of benefits, if any.
You don't share total out-of-pocket comparison.
You don't share if and how much premiums have increased AND benefits eroded over a previous time-frame, which has been the reality for EVERYbody on insurance. It didn't just miraculously happen after the ACA, in fact overall costs have slowed.
You don't share if you're eligible for subsidy.
You don't share if you've explored alternatives in the marketplace, which didn't EXIST before the ACA.
No, like all the rest of the right-wing sky-fall tales, you share just enough to underscore your politics. Given the many times we've seen this exact same pattern before, the prudent person would take such tales with a truckload of salt.
You'll understand why I don't want to share too much information here...

I'm not in a union nor am I a gub'ment employee.

I don't need to share the dollar amount, only the percentage.

My insurance rate was going to go up 30%, even though I never used it. That's the primary reason I canceled it. The other reason is that it would've been 25% of my pretax income. That's just too much money to waste on something I never use.

If you don't believe me, fine. Then drop it and all yourself a winner, pat yourself on the back and have a victory margarita.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,656,484
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min June VanDerMark 322,021
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 35,083
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Research 11,896
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web