Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#214149 Feb 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they add a No Fun clause to the TOS?
Apparently I didn't read the fine print.

:(

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#214150 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There's no such thing as an "accidental pregnancy" when the two people aren't using contraceptives, just like there's no such thing as accidentally contracting an STD when found the same.
There is a such thing as an accidental pregnancy. It's when you get pregnant unintentionally. If you get an STD unintentionally, that's an accident too. Accidents are unintentional effects. Pregnancies are often happy accidents.

I think you made this error accidentally.

Location hidden

#214151 Feb 23, 2014
scaritual wrote:
KiMare is starting to blather on incessantly, when all that was really necessary was the standard Christian response of:
<Kimare> "...NUH UH!..."
I've been reading responses to his posts.

I only catch a few smiles and smirks from him/her as I scroll past.

We need some new theists. The ones that haven't retreated into the closet yet are the ones who aren't bright enough to know better.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#214152 Feb 23, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not surprised. We all think that one's as mad as a tree full of galahs.

He only proves it further.
:-)
The galahs make more sense to me.

Location hidden

#214153 Feb 23, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Beady. As if there weren't enough nutters on this thread already...
Beady? Ffs.

Location hidden

#214154 Feb 23, 2014
IANS: "You should throw out your bible, preferably after burning it."
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Gotta love that Humanism love, eh?
Even though he says to burn it before throwing it out, I don't think he's saying that you should burn it inside without proper ventilation.

Safety first.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#214155 Feb 23, 2014
Bertrand Russell was an English philosopher and mathematician in the early 20th century. In 1927 he gave a speech which was later turned into an essay titled...

Why I am not a Christian

For those of you interested (it is rather good) it can be found here in both PDF and as an audiobook. The audio is not quite 40 minutes long.

http://atheistmovies.blogspot.com/2013/12/why...

He addresses a number of arguments, mostly presented by the Catholic Church, for the existence of God. You will likely recognize them from this thread. He also discusses the morality of Jesus and while he finds it good, he does find it less than perfect.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214156 Feb 23, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Kinda blows John 1:18 out of the park as being any kind of authority don't it?
"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."
Who's lying - the anonymous author of John, or the anonymous author of Genesis?
Neither are lying nor are they anonymous. John is the Gospel which is far more explicit about the identity of Christ bring equal to God. In other words Jesus is Yahweh according to John. Like most fundies you are far to literal in your interpretations and selective in your facts.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#214157 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Again, the 'rational atheist' response is a hateful, bigoted troll attack.
This seems to be your stock rebuttal.
KiMare wrote:
Here is some history: Do you understand that whole cultures have predicted the demise of Christianity. They are gone, Christianity isn't.
Some people predicted that AIDS would be gone by now, too. So what? Literal viruses and memetic viruses can be difficult to eradicate from a culture

Are your tepid prophecies part of an argument - perhaps for the existence of the Christian god?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#214158 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, some real judgment/bigotry there.

Seriously, you should take your own advice!

Now, why are you afraid to ask your family and friends?

Smile
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigotry?
Really?
I disagree. You've said yourself that your friends, three of them, signed papers to validate your sanity, based on you lying to them.
Hardly objective, I sincerely hope that you don't have access to minors.
I'm deducing, from your line of questioning, that your family and friends, thought you were insane.
Oh, your projection is noted.
1. "Christian psychologists are not objective."

I know you'd label that statement as a 'fact', but an objective person would label it as bigotry.

2. Family and friends know us and the quirks we all possess. What do you think they will all say to a question about your sanity?

On the other hand, psychologists evaluate on professional level. I know the right answers because of my training. They are forced to accept those as valid. Even more significant, because they are my friends, I know THEIR professional quirks. I can adjust my response selectively in light of those quirks.

Where that leaves us is this.

I have asked my family and friends, AND professionals. As a result, I have a paper signed by THREE professionals signifying my sanity.

YOU, on the other hand, are afraid to ask even your family and friends. You not only exposed your bigotry, but deep denial.

SMile.

Location hidden

#214159 Feb 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
What am I dodging? Your dodge? It's your story dude.
You think you are cleverly playing dumb to hide your fear.

It's not working, it's just dumb.

Smirk.
OG Kush

United States

#214160 Feb 23, 2014
The never ending party...

I want to be loved by you just you nobody else but you Boo-boo bee Doop!

http://atheistmovies.blogspot.com/2013/10/chr...

Dr. Richard Carrier, world renowned philosopher and historian, explains the four reasons he does not accept the Christian religion, describing four facts of the world that, had they been different, he would believe.

He is brief, clear, and down to earth, covering the whole topic in under ninety pages of easy-to-read explanation.

Those four reasons are God's silence, God's inaction, the lack of evidence, and the way the universe looks exactly like a godless universe would, and not at all like a Christian universe would, even down to its very structure.

A perfect book to introduce yourself, or your friends, to why fewer educated people are embracing Christianity than ever before.

Ideal for handing out to door-to-door missionaries.

http://atheistmovies.blogspot.com/2013/12/why...

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#214161 Feb 23, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Neither are lying nor are they anonymous. John is the Gospel which is far more explicit about the identity of Christ bring equal to God. In other words Jesus is Yahweh according to John. Like most fundies you are far to literal in your interpretations and selective in your facts.
Teh God works in mysterious ways and Teh Authors write accordingly.

English Lit 101.

It's not what you think it is but it's not what you think it's not.

It's snot.

no really.

Location hidden

#214162 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I did lie to get it! Think about it, I fooled three psychologists!
I've known them for a long time, they are friends and peers.
Do you need a paper too?
SMile.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad you cant fool atheists,eh?
LLL
One psychologist is an atheist.

I don't need to fool the atheists on here, they already are fools.

Snicker.

Location hidden

#214163 Feb 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been reading responses to his posts.
I only catch a few smiles and smirks from him/her as I scroll past.
We need some new theists. The ones that haven't retreated into the closet yet are the ones who aren't bright enough to know better.
"I've been reading responses to his posts."

Now that's a rational evaluation for an atheist... Smirk.

For someone who's never engaged me, who appointed you to judge?

A coward and an idiot. Join the troll hate and bully brigade in the ditch.

Smile.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#214164 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
A vow of monogamy is certainly more serious than a 'choice'
Nope. A vow is words announcing a choice.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Married [people] frequently take other lovers with or without the knowledge of the spouse, and unmarried people are frequently monogamous.
KiMare wrote:
. To top that off, you try to assert that unmarried people are more monogamous than married people.
Nope. Read it again
KiMare wrote:
Remember your, "Science has nothing to do with marriage"
No, I don't.

Who are you quoting there? Those were not my words.
KiMare wrote:
I have no problem with someone who doesn't know everything. I do have a problem with someone with arrogance that falsely pretends otherwise.
No you don't. Just ask the Alien. Your lack of insight is epic.
KiMare wrote:
I would suggest you refresh your understanding of evolution, and most certainly educate yourself about mating behavior before you continue in this discussion.
I don't take advice about science from faith based thinkers.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#214165 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"I've been reading responses to his posts."
Now that's a rational evaluation for an atheist... Smirk.
For someone who's never engaged me, who appointed you to judge?
A coward and an idiot. Join the troll hate and bully brigade in the ditch.
Smile.
Have you pooped yet?

A good movement could change your outlook.

Location hidden

#214166 Feb 23, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This seems to be your stock rebuttal.
<quoted text>
Some people predicted that AIDS would be gone by now, too. So what? Literal viruses and memetic viruses can be difficult to eradicate from a culture
Are your tepid prophecies part of an argument - perhaps for the existence of the Christian god?
I was hoping you would adjust to a true rational position.

I label 'hateful, bigoted troll attacks' only when that is exactly what they are.

I challenge you to show me one example that isn't so.

Who predicted AIDS would be gone by now? Scientists?

However, supposed 'rational atheists' who claim to hold the keys to wisdom are the ones who predicted the demise of Christianity.

I noted the history of atheistic prophecies. Labeling the Jewish culture and Christianity as 'tepid' prophecies is simply imbecilic.

These responses are just disappointing. I thought you had paused to mount a real challenge, or concede like a man. You disappoint me.

Sad.

Location hidden

#214167 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, some real judgment/bigotry there.

Seriously, you should take your own advice!

Now, why are you afraid to ask your family and friends?

Smile

1. "Christian psychologists are not objective."

I know you'd label that statement as a 'fact', but an objective person would label it as bigotry.

2. Family and friends know us and the quirks we all possess. What do you think they will all say to a question about your sanity?

On the other hand, psychologists evaluate on professional level. I know the right answers because of my training. They are forced to accept those as valid. Even more significant, because they are my friends, I know THEIR professional quirks. I can adjust my response selectively in light of those quirks.

Where that leaves us is this.

I have asked my family and friends, AND professionals. As a result, I have a paper signed by THREE professionals signifying my sanity.

YOU, on the other hand, are afraid to ask even your family and friends. You not only exposed your bigotry, but deep denial.

SMile.
You lied to your friends and your family thinks you're insane.

This looks a lot like back-pedalling and projection.

Location hidden

#214168 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>You think you are cleverly playing dumb to hide your fear.

It's not working, it's just dumb.

Smirk.
Did I miss a post? When did we start discussing spiders?

Can they get me in topix? Nooooo!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min VetnorsGate 1,600,076
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 25 min Facts or fiction 11,549
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 34 min Trojan 34,172
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Freedomofexpression 317,440
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 14 Hellepsoaio 12
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep 12 Love 292
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 11 Rose of Tralee 201,880
More from around the web