Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#213314 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
AIDS is not a medical mystery.
It's God's wrath on the sexual deviant and immoral.
There is only one cure for it; be sexually moral.
You'll never even worry about contracting it or any other STD.
"It's God's wrath on the sexual deviant and immoral."

Then explain why it is a problem with newborns. Is your God punishing them for their immorality and deviance?

And why do people get it through transfusions? Isn't the fact they need transfusions bad enough without your God inflicting them with AIDS as well.

You are a doofus.

#213315 Feb 19, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a repulsive post and a horrible way to speak. Have you ever watched someone die from AIDS? A straight person? A child?
You are scum.
Welcome to Riverside Redneck, a sterling example of Christianity.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#213316 Feb 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Redneck indeed is a disgrace to humankind.(...)
Agreed, and there's this...

I'm sure his employer is relieved - that Ar aR was able to keep up his average of 75 posts per day, even with vacations and days off~/.

That's an average of 1 post every 6.4 minutes during an eight - 8 - hour day.

Ar Ar claimed at one time he - only - posted from where he worked at, and that he didn't even have internet at his home.

If he works 5 days a week, that average post per day count goes up to 104, which works out to one - 1 - post every 4.6 minutes.

To be fair, I went ahead and averaged his posts across all days that have been available to post, based upon 24 hour days, and his join date(no gray box numbers). He clocks in at an average of:

Roughly 3 posts, every hour of every day, for the past 20 months. Or, 1 post every 20 minutes for about the last 1.75 years.

Ar aR spends more time on Topix than on his deity.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#213317 Feb 19, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>*<Ar aR> "... UM..uhhh ... Sometimes Christians feel like a snake, sometimes they don't?...... PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY AND JESUS TOO! IT CAN BE ANYTHING WE WANT IT TO BE....! "

Message to Ar aR: From now on, I will be typing your name as such: Ar aR

You are welcome to emulate me in this respect as well. BTW, I'm flattered in advance. You're almost like my 6th younger sibling. Okay, but they have the ability to utilize logic and reason and quit the emulation thing around ten(10) years old. So you'd be like an infant 6th sibling.
Lol.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#213318 Feb 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.
I first started typing his name as , "Ar Ar", so when he saw >RR< in a post, he wouldn't get confused and think someone was referencing the Rail Road, commonly abbreviated as: RR

I know that ((:word jumbles:)) can be a problem for Ar aR.

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

#213319 Feb 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The source does not matter if the information is correct. I don't know what you hope to accomplish by attacking the source and seeking to marginalize. Classified by who as a hate group? Pro homosexual groups regularly refer to dissenters as haters homophobes etc. In other words they name call. Resort to smear because they cannot defend nor promote their position through logical argument or even hard science.
You know it's a biased source, so the information is never going to be anything but biased, only propaganda.

Nice try playing the victim.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#213320 Feb 19, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Autotune would be a disaster in blues. Blues guitarists deliberately bend stings to achieve quarter tones (flat notes), and vocals often need to be flat. Anybody who enjoys a voice lik Johnny Cash or Frank Sinatra likes the pitch a little flat, and that includes me.
This may be what you object to in non-digital keyboard instruments (the modern digital/MIDI ones allow continuous pitch modulation). The pitch is simply too perfect. To me, a piano or organ solo can't touch a sax or guitar.
If anyone is interested, I offer you The Allman Brothers doing Stormy Monday Blues live at The Filmore East. The virtuoso of interest here is Duane Allman (Dicky Betts also solos on this recording, but is overshadowed by Duane). Listen to Duane's guitar solo beginning at 3:35 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1gDhR1R3S0sXX
The very first note at 3:35 is a slow, sleazy, moaning bend to a flat note (bending is stretching a string to make it more taught and raise the pitch), followed by five stacatto notes (notes separated by tiny silent spaces). Another example of a tormented note follows at 4:08
About 4:35, the guitaring changes for a few seconds - it's suffering as before, but awaking and becoming agitated. After calming down again a bit, the guitar begins whining once again with about four flat bends with prolonged sound (sustain).
At 4:58, the guitar begins crying life a baby with a series of staccato flat bends that still bring tears to my eyes. Ouch!
For contrast, listen on to Gregg Almann's organ solo beginning immediately thereafter at 5:14. Call me a bigot, but I consider that an anticlimax. It sounds like a circus to me - "Welcome to the big top!" I expect to see a horse running in circles with a monkey or a dog standing up on its back.
If people are still interested, listen through until Dicky Betts comes in for the second guitar solo at 6:03, which in my opinion, just languishes like the keyboard solo through the first 12-bar cycle. Dicky comes alive in his second 12-bars beginning at 6:51, when he begins the soulful string bending.
Anyway, I appreciate both the musicianship and the electronics. Electric guitars bring in a distortion that can't be achieved on an acoustic guitar. These same guitar solos would sound nothing like this on a Spanish guitar.
What do you say, blacklagoon? And anybody else - musician or audiophile.
Sure I'm with you on this one, I don't mind at all electric guitar, and the bends it can accomplish, that was never my issue. I know that some electronics are helpful, I use click tract all the time in the recording studio and in large sound stages recording film music. But even with a click tract, real humans are performing and the time will not be robotic, it will move faster in some sections, the brasses usually, and slower in others, the strings. The layman would never be able to detect it but it's there, as though the music was breathing.

My issue is not with music technology but using that technology to "dumb down" the skill and craft as in autotune, or in the attempt to mimic the sound of real instruments electronically. I'm also death on composing music using the computer and or any electronic devises. This also "dumbs down" the skill and craft it takes to be a successful composer as you never ever learn about the instruments you are writing for. I suppose one could go to a concert hall, sit and watch someone at a bank of keys preprogrammed to generate certain sounds, and be entertained. No human emotions involved, no human interaction between the performing musicians which you as a listener can be apart of, no stretching of the time as it would be precise and robotic. I would find it a very non-human experience.

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#213321 Feb 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That *is* the nature of True Belief™-- you are required to hate anyone who isn't a member (of your cult)
;)
How very true. It's called doing the Lord's work.
:-)

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#213322 Feb 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your Jesus command you to call me "quaalude bob"?
Is this another fine example of your Christian Love™?
(psst: most people call this hate speech, just so you know)
Who would your Jesus Hate?
How very true.

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#213323 Feb 19, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post213186
<quoted text>
Thanks, Rosa.
No worries.

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#213324 Feb 19, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's God's wrath on the sexual deviant and immoral."
Then explain why it is a problem with newborns. Is your God punishing them for their immorality and deviance?
And why do people get it through transfusions? Isn't the fact they need transfusions bad enough without your God inflicting them with AIDS as well.
You are a doofus.
That reminds me of the book April Fools' Day, about a haemophiliac boy who caught HIV from a transfusion back in the 80s, when it was a death sentence.

Obviously it was medically acquired AIDS - and he was straight. That didn't stop him from being called names, even by some hospital staff. Not to mention being preached at by visiting fundies. A very sad book.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#213325 Feb 19, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I embrace the new and reminisce the old - you prefer to live in the old and not embrace the new.
To each his own.
Sell that 8 track!
You embrace the smell of ozone, the monotonous click tracts, the hard edges sounds of electronically generated sounds---I prefer the emotional connections between human performers and their listeners, the undulating time feel, the melodies never player the same way twice, the ever so slight intonation differences between instruments that bring life to the music.

The innovative musician is the one who cherishes what has been done, knows the history, respects the tradition, and then in his own way, finds the means to move the art form forward.

I don't have an 8 track, I consume my music, for the most part, live.

Yes, to each his own, good luck in your endeavors.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#213326 Feb 19, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I first started typing his name as , "Ar Ar", so when he saw >RR< in a post, he wouldn't get confused and think someone was referencing the Rail Road, commonly abbreviated as: RR

I know that ((:word jumbles:)) can be a problem for Ar aR.
I thought of the emphasis on Ar a R as being "atheist code" for Always a Retard.

I like your hypothesis also.

Hi, scar :D

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#213327 Feb 19, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>That reminds me of the book April Fools' Day, about a haemophiliac boy who caught HIV from a transfusion back in the 80s, when it was a death sentence.

Obviously it was medically acquired AIDS - and he was straight. That didn't stop him from being called names, even by some hospital staff. Not to mention being preached at by visiting fundies. A very sad book.
I read that.

I also watched a friend suffer with AIDS, seems like another life now.

ReligiousRetard is scum personified.

#213328 Feb 19, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you know if SIX likes scarves ??..
HL...think you might like this one.

&fe ature=kp

#213329 Feb 19, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That reminds me of the book April Fools' Day, about a haemophiliac boy who caught HIV from a transfusion back in the 80s, when it was a death sentence.
That would be a very sad story.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#213330 Feb 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought of the emphasis on Ar a R as being "atheist code" for Always a Retard.
I like your hypothesis also.
Hi, scar :D
Lets not confuse him.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#213331 Feb 19, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Lets not confuse him.
Lol.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213332 Feb 19, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Faith is the disease that hides the cure from its victims.
Good and pithy insight.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213333 Feb 19, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Agreed, and there's this... I'm sure his employer is relieved - that Ar aR was able to keep up his average of 75 posts per day, even with vacations and days off~/. That's an average of 1 post every 6.4 minutes during an eight - 8 - hour day. Ar Ar claimed at one time he - only - posted from where he worked at, and that he didn't even have internet at his home. If he works 5 days a week, that average post per day count goes up to 104, which works out to one - 1 - post every 4.6 minutes. To be fair, I went ahead and averaged his posts across all days that have been available to post, based upon 24 hour days, and his join date(no gray box numbers). He clocks in at an average of: Roughly 3 posts, every hour of every day, for the past 20 months. Or, 1 post every 20 minutes for about the last 1.75 years. Ar aR spends more time on Topix than on his deity.
LOL. I think you've earned the title of thread statistician.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 18 min Grey Ghost 1,190,244
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr Niqisam 4,123
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Pietro Armando 201,370
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 hr Pearl Jam 308,914
NCSU vs UNC from the Coach's Perspective by Jam... 22 hr IdeasandTruth 1
Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Fri KHS Alumni 69
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Fri Trojan 29,057
More from around the web