Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255263 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

andet1987

Chicago, IL

#213180 Feb 18, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So just because you blew andet for money,,,it don't make you gay huh? Mnmm Kay red nick.
he he he :) RR is a straight guy and married. He respects God, and he respects himself and his family. He will always be faithful to his wife and family. and he will forever be straight.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#213181 Feb 18, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If a kind, loving, just and compassionate God exited, no child would ever die from cancer. Nor would thousand each and every day die a horrible death from starvation.
and if no one dies, where are you going to find a space to live ? where are you going to find your next meal ? someone has to die to make the world a better place to live. death is not bad at all. it only means, that we have to balance the world population in accordance with earth's capacity to feed and maintain it inhabitants.

stop blaming God if someone dies. death is natural.

suppose nobody dies. the world will be over populated. there will be chaos, people fighting for food, space to live, etc.

be open minded Blacklagoon. be peaceful with God and nature. ok ?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#213182 Feb 18, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
and if no one dies, where are you going to find a space to live ? where are you going to find your next meal ? someone has to die to make the world a better place to live. death is not bad at all. it only means, that we have to balance the world population in accordance with earth's capacity to feed and maintain it inhabitants.
suppose nobody dies. the world will be over populated. there will be chaos, people fighting for food, space to live, etc.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#213183 Feb 18, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
he he he :) RR is a straight guy and married. He respects God, and he respects himself and his family. He will always be faithful to his wife and family. and he will forever be straight.
Ugh huh, Whatever you say Miss Marie Antoinette Lilly.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#213184 Feb 18, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dying is one thing, gratuitous suffering especially of young children is quite another.

See anymore dry spots on the ground?

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#213185 Feb 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
You took those quotes as "advocating of killing"? In what context, I wonder.
Well, you not liking him gives me even more motivation to read all his books, we can discuss your superior reading and comprehension skills once I've done so.
Cheers Bucky duck.
There really is no such thing as bad publicity.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213186 Feb 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you offended again? How about if I help validate that claim. I don't see much difference between the religions, either.
Both religions embrace magic, mythology, superstition, dogma, the supernatural, and ritual.
Both require worship and submission.
They're both patriarchal, authoritarian, misogynistic, sexually repressive, anhedonisitic, atheophobic, homophobic, antisemitic, antiscientiific, use psychological terrorism on their children, and have violent histories including genocides and terrorism.
Each has an ancient authoritarian holy book filled with hatred, tribalism, violence, and failed morals that endorse slavery, rape, infanticide, and incest.
Each features a Semitic desert god that is an angry, petty, vengeful, jealous, judgmental, capricious, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, malevolent, panty sniffing bully.
Both religions believe in demons, angels, an afterlife and a system of reward and punishment after death.
Believers of both attend temples (Mosques or churches) and obey their paternalistic, misogynisitic clergy.
The similarities are striking. Is a Christian bomber for the IRA or a Christian abortion clinic bomber different than a Muslim suicide bomber - enough to be outraged that we would dare compare them? How are they different apart from the fact that the Muslim sacrifices his own life, while the Christians hide safely at a distance?
The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam.
Is that enough similarities for you? As best I can tell, Christianity is just a camel and a prayer cloth removed from Islam. I don't see what your objection to the comparison is based on.
Now that was a good essay.

When I read the Quran, what struck me was how many of the stories are similar to the ones in the Bible. Yet the 2 religions have been @ each others' throats, right back from the time of the Crusades...and it goes on.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213187 Feb 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Lightbeamrider, like most of the rest of the church, is not taking the loss of this cultural war well. Their choices are to accept society's changing values with dignity as they have always expected others to do, as when they argue for "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" on the basis of their numbers, or to become antidemocratic when the majority opinion no longer suits them.
What they fail to see is that people outside of the church don't respect its homophobic attitudes, and that expressing them in this losing effort just accelerates its shrinkage and irrelevancy. I suppose that we should welcome that, but I hate to see it anyway. People like lightbeamrider and Clearwater, who are probably just trying to do the right thing as they have been taught it by those that they trust, have been sent out to do an impossible job that leaves people disrespecting them for it, just like Duckman.
No worries, certainly a lot less than they would like us to have. They just have to get with the times, but I'm not holding my breath.

If they won't question church propaganda, other people certainly will!

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213188 Feb 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So you haven't been following the news?
Micheal Sam...University of Missouri football player...All-American...came out as gay.
Kinda blows a hole in your contention that all gays are wimpy effeminate cross-dressers doesn't it.
I can't imagine him walking up to Ian Roberts and saying it to his face, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Roberts_ (rugby_league)
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coming-...
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#213189 Feb 18, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Such a compassionate worldview...NOT.

And wouldn't your all-powerful, all-knowing God be able to solve these problems...like having just enough babies born to replace the old people dying? Or is he not that all-powerful?

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213190 Feb 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
And Solomon, favored of God, had how many hundred wives? And 600 concubines? And the Bible brags about this?
Right. Sanctity of marriage.
Of course the Bible model is: Marriage should be between a man and several women.

Just ask Lamech, Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, etc.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#213191 Feb 18, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that was a good essay.
When I read the Quran, what struck me was how many of the stories are similar to the ones in the Bible. Yet the 2 religions have been @ each others' throats, right back from the time of the Crusades...and it goes on.
At its start, Islam embraced Judaism and Christianity as "brothers of the Book", meaning the Pentateuch, the first 5 books of the Christian Bible.

This started falling apart when Mohamed expected the Jews to join Islam and the Jews told him to stuff it.

Hard to say who threw the first stone. But a lot of bad blood has resulted and the hatreds are now centuries old.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213192 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.
macumazahn wrote:
And now I prophecy. I predict that tomorrow, in the city of London, England, a child will be born. So will a cat, a rat, and a dog. See how easy?
<quoted text>
Do you think that is clever? Really?
LOL, you idiots make yourselves look dumb. I'd be embarrassed...
Smirk.
Good for Mae West. You just can't stand the fact that she was a smart blonde, a lot smarter than you.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213193 Feb 18, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>That would be impossible since cats are very curious creatures, always exploring. Cats NEVER miss the opportunity to discover for themselves, whatever needs discovering. They never sit and accept anything without exploration. I guess you could say cats are the ultimate skeptics.
Miaow!

Cats are such smart little animals. They always behave as if they are so much smarter than us, that contemptuous look they give you sometimes. Very loveable, tho.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213194 Feb 18, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
The Witherspoon Institute now. You can't seem to help posting propaganda from right-wing fundie groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witherspoon_Inst...
http://www.activistcash.com/organizations/515...

It also has links to the FRC, classified as a hate group.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#213195 Feb 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
At its start, Islam embraced Judaism and Christianity as "brothers of the Book", meaning the Pentateuch, the first 5 books of the Christian Bible.
This started falling apart when Mohamed expected the Jews to join Islam and the Jews told him to stuff it.
Hard to say who threw the first stone. But a lot of bad blood has resulted and the hatreds are now centuries old.
That's true. It all began in Medinah, back in those days. I've read different versions of what happened, from different biographers.

We all know what it lead to tho.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#213196 Feb 19, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
The Witherspoon Institute now. You can't seem to help posting propaganda from right-wing fundie groups.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witherspoon_Inst...
http://www.activistcash.com/organizations/515...
It also has links to the FRC, classified as a hate group.
The source does not matter if the information is correct. I don't know what you hope to accomplish by attacking the source and seeking to marginalize. Classified by who as a hate group? Pro homosexual groups regularly refer to dissenters as haters homophobes etc. In other words they name call. Resort to smear because they cannot defend nor promote their position through logical argument or even hard science.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213198 Feb 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
The preacher's son has vowed to take over the church and continue the use of poisonous snakes in their rituals. A perfect example of "keep the faith."
Faith is a beautiful thing. What a great way to make important decisions.

Fennario

#213199 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is a direct commandment which invalidates your little hypothesis. Jesus answered him, "It is said: Do not test the Lord your God." Those folks that test God are as foolish as you.
Imagine that - you found a scripture to support your preferred point of view just like Snake Boy. And you each think/thought that you know what this god wants, even though you have opposite opinions.

We see this same phenomenon with virtually every doctrinal issue. Does that not say anything to you?

Fennario

#213200 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I like the Robertson's because of their strong Christian and family values.
I dislike those values.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Incognito4Ever 1,382,931
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr ThomasA 311,154
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Tue Evan 32,266
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Tue IB DaMann 9,635
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) May 23 Ceren 39
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 22 01niner 201,860
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) May 15 Idiots 285
More from around the web