Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255503 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#213066 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;
http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21 ...
Bazinga!
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> During the early years of Christianity, it needed them.
When we say ... that he, Jesus Christ, our teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propose nothing new from what you believe about those you consider sons of Zeus.
Justin Martyr, First Apology (100–165CE)
"We shall seem to utter the doctrine of Plato; and while we say that there will be a burning up of all, we shall seem to utter the doctrine of the Stoics: and while we affirm that the souls of the wicked, being endowed with sensation even after death, are punished, and that those of the good being delivered from punishment spend a blessed existence, we shall seem to say the same things as the poets and philosophers; and while we maintain that men ought not to worship the works of their hands, we say the very things which have been said by the comic poet Menander, and other similar writers, for they have declared that the workman is greater than the work." - Justin Martyr, First Apology.
Justin Martyr - CE 100–ca.165 CE
hahaaahaaa
Apologists....
Noun: apologetics
1. The branch of theology that is concerned with the defense of Christian doctrines
WordWeb Pro 7.02
Christianity needed apologists to defend the belief. A belief, needed defending. There is a reason for that.
Theists believe in mythology, but do not see it as mythology.
Theology and theologians entire purpose is to try and make the supernatural deities appear real, and give religions the appearance of legitimacy. Theologians pour over religious texts, endeavoring to highlight historical aspects and realities within those texts, but the ultimate goal is to try and find the deity. The goal is to find that one bit, no matter how small that they can point to and say:
<frantic theologian>"I have found legitimate and unbiased evidence of a deity! "
That has never happened. Ever.
Theists feel theology authenticates their mythological beliefs, even though they do not see the belief as being based in myth.
They look to the theologian or at the least, someone who has their approval, as having some special authority or power to substantiate the belief. The theologian sets about to massage any portion of possible prophetic fulfillment no matter how small out from those mystical and mythic ramblings of ancient man.
They've done no more than practice what equates to, "Mytheology".
"Mytheology" ~ The in depth study by theologians of supernatural deities and supernatural elements within mythology, believed by theologians and theists to be reality, and able to be proven, but never succeeding in doing so.
I understand that you're within the myth and believe in it as a reality.
So did the believers in Zeus.
You respond to an exposed lie with a diversion?

You need to apologize.

Location hidden

#213067 Feb 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Tell her to make you a sanctified sammich.
At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.

Ss couples are a defective failure of mating behavior making ss marriage an oxymoron.

Did the truth offend you again???

Snicker.

Location hidden

#213068 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I meant to say, "Even if right behavior has no HEAVENLY reward, it hardly DE-LEGITIMIZES it."
I then go on to explain why. Right behavior has consequences, some totally unanticipated.
You were hurt over that??? Kind of a sissy, no?
<quoted text>
You're still evading my question: What do you think faith and religion have done for you with regard to your intellect, character and personality? Has it made you a better person in any of those areas? Do you care?
Why do you keep shifting the issue when you have no reasoned response? And to personal attacks no less!

That's not rational or moral. Maybe you should say you are just an atheist instead of a 'rational' atheist.

SMirk.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#213069 Feb 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
In that case, we're even.
You are ludicrous to me.
Ludicrous speed!

GO!

Location hidden

#213070 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You clearly have no substantive response to the existence of the Jewish culture as the Alien predicted.
<quoted text>
The Alien? Does laughter count as a substantive response?
Clearly no. It is a childish and idiotic response.

I get that you don't believe in gods. However, I'm referring to an ancient account that clearly describes a Being not from this planet. An extra -terrestrial Being, accurately described as an Alien.

I suspect that you divert to this stupidity because you have no way of explaining the profound results of the Alien's contact with the Hebrews.

SMile.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#213071 Feb 18, 2014
<quoted text>
You keep saying that like there is some missing information of any importance. What more do we need to know than that you are a faith based thinker that considers Christian scripture authoritative? What more on the subject of your belief system could possibly be of interest or value to the rest of us? Do you think we care whether you go to church, or which denomination? Do you think we care if you believe in baptism by sprinkling or immersion? Do you think we care whether you think the sabbath is Saturday or Sunday? No.
We also know more than enough about your character and disposition. Did you think you were a mystery? You're not. You answer in anger and rudely. What more does a person need to know to size you up?
Ah, there's your problem. She's not a christian, she's an ancient astronaut christian.

Location hidden

#213072 Feb 18, 2014
<quoted text>
No you didn't.
<quoted text>
I wasn't. I was talking about prophecy and character.
What is atheistic behavior? Not believing? Atheist describes what we are not, not what we are.
Christian behavior is nothing for you to be proud of.
<quoted text>
Exactly. So why are calling them charities and giving them tax breaks? Why are you making claims about the church's largesse? The little bit of information that we have about what goes on in churches and Christian charities is pretty damning.
<quoted text>
That may be what the church prefers, but it is incorrect. What the church does becomes everybody's business by virtue of its unwelcome presence in politics and social engineering.
Just look at you. Do you think that the rest of us don't have a legitimate interest in the institution that spits out people like you by the millions?
Again, scoffing.

Your ignorance of Churches justifies castigating them?

Your hate and ignorant bigotry is showing again...

Smile.

Location hidden

#213073 Feb 18, 2014
<quoted text>
Again? Sorry. All you get is a few words: low quality by virtue of being nonspecific, mundane and/or self-fulfilling. For fuller explanations, refer to previous posts.
If you gave anything but scoffing, we would not being having this discussion.

You are a fake.

Smile.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213074 Feb 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
Where did you and your family go on vacation? You haven't mentioned it since returning.
We didn't go anywhere, we all four had a staycation together at home. We built a post and rail fence, let the chickens roam everyday, ate real good food and slept in all week. It was very relaxing for us. We only went out one night, Mrs RR & I celebrated our 10 year anniversary.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213075 Feb 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Give the Redneck a break about his "vacation."
There's more to his story than meets the eye (as usual).
OK though, we can call it a "hiatus".
I wonder why you see deception everywhere, Mr Lawyer......

Location hidden

#213076 Feb 18, 2014
<quoted text>
Did you have a point? Your claim was that, "there have been myths about sex with gods. But never did pregnancy and virginity go together in any of these incidents" The rebuttal was that virgin birth was a common claim in pre-Christian mythology.
Did you intend to refute that with an essay by a Christian apologist addressing one of the dozen or so examples I provided you? Did you not see where your apologist wrote, "we could say its a kind of a virgin birth"?
And you used the second link. Why not the first, which was entitled "Attis: Born of a Virgin on December 25th, Crucified and Resurrected after Three Days" < http://www.truthbeknown.com/attis.html > Both links confirm that the mythology of Attis includes a virgin birth, as do all of the others.
And that is just one entry on the list of people allegedly born to virgins before Jesus. You've still got Augustus, Agdistis, Antiope, Auge, Adonis, Buddha, Danae, Dionysus, Glycon, Heracles, Horus, Korybas, Krishna, Melanippe, Mithras, Odysseus, Osirus, Perseus, Romulus and Remus, Tammuz, and Zoroaster to go.
Your claim was wrong, it's been demonstrated, and your inability to understand what you read or to make progress is of no concern or interest to the thread. It's time to move on.
======
Regarding "Bazinga" - Sheldon Cooper's signature exclamation, I just read this at http://chrisstedman.religionnews.com/2014/02/...
"HBO’s True Detective, which debuted last month to glowing reviews, features an atheist lead character played by Matthew McConaughey. He marks the latest entry in a rising trend: Atheist characters in popular TV shows. Last year, two characters on the acclaimed CBS show The Good Wife—including protagonist Alicia Florrick, played by Julianna Margulies—made waves after declaring their atheism. Others in recent years have included Patrick Jane in The Mentalist, Gregory House in House, and Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory."
The culture is progressing with or without the consent of dinosaurs like you struggling to preserve Christian preferential treatment and hegemony. Bazinga!
LOL, Nana is impregnated by the genitals turned almonds of Agdistis and you call it a virgin birth. More like a creative form of intercourse...

Moreover, the account doesn't even claim she was a virgin.

I'm a near senile old jackass, but even I know that by your own standards, that's a fail.

Smile.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213077 Feb 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the Redneck called his wife a bitch.
At least he should have called her a sanctified bitch.
I just call it like it is.

A secretary is a secretary, not an administrative assistant.

A janitor is a janitor, not a sanitation technician.

A wife biting you in the chest out of anger is a bitch, not a wife.

Location hidden

#213078 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Look, you cannot admit that a whole culture and the most significant religion in human history are quality prophecies. I get it. In fact, I got it long ago. I just like twisting the knife in your denial. Smile.
<quoted text>
You don't see this kind of malice or seething hatred coming from any of the unbelievers posting here. I blame the church that taught you ethics and forged your character, which you have just called a "whole culture and the most significant religion in human history."
But it has failed us every chance it got. And it failed you.
You embrace your denial as something to be cherished and protected???

You denounce and despise Christianity with false malice and seething hatred but turn and condemn me for accurately doing the same with your denial.

What a hypocrite.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#213079 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The truth is disgusting?
<quoted text>
Your "truth" disgusts me...
My 'truth'? Again, be specific. What specifically was false about my post?

Come on, be that rational moral atheist you claim to be...

Snicker.

Location hidden

#213080 Feb 18, 2014
<quoted text>
You changed your claim after I rebutted what you posted, which made no mention of violence.
I also happened to address your inference that Christianity is superior to Islam because it is less violent: "The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam."
I did no such thing. My challenge has always been to equate the present violence of Islam to Christian behavior.

If the character of Christianity is as you claim, let alone identical to Islam, it should be no problem.

Smile.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#213081 Feb 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but they're immoral enough to eat their young.
Is that what the Topix Atheist! aspires for?
Animals, except for humans, don't have a moral code, and not all animals eat there young. Potential humans are also devoured during oral sex, so in a way, we do have examples of humans eating their babies, at least potential babies.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213082 Feb 18, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Animals, except for humans, don't have a moral code, and not all animals eat there young. Potential humans are also devoured during oral sex, so in a way, we do have examples of humans eating their babies, at least potential babies.
Uh-huh....

So you're anti-abortion are ya?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#213083 Feb 18, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> How can you be so dense. The Rabbi uses archeological evidence as indicated here.
----------
All this changed with the turn of a shovel. Recent archaeological finds have clearly demonstrated that the camel was domesticated by the 18th century BCE.
Prof. Kenneth Kitchen, an Egyptologist at the University of Liverpool (retired) has pointed out that the sale of Joseph to a caravan of Midianites should have been another example of anachronism in the Torah. Joseph was sold for 20 silver pieces. A thousand years later the price for a slave was much higher (ancient inflation). However, the price reported in the Torah matches precisely the going price of slaves in the region from Joseph's time period. This is just one example which demonstrates, according to Kitchen that "it's more reasonable to assume that the biblical data reflect reality
----------

Regarding your statement about using the Bible to prove the Bible is true ignores the fact critics use the Bible to falsify the Bible. Also ignored is the fact the Bible is a collection of writings and not a single book. So yes you can use the bible to either validate or discredit. You can use the Old to fact check from the New.
You are hopelessly stupid.
Um...lbr...I suggest you read that part again. There is no mention in it of camels in Palestein., which is what is under discussion. Archeological evidence points to the domesticated camel being brought to Palestine at a much later date. Just because there were domesticated camels in Arabia at an earlier time is not an indication that there were domesticated camels in Palestine.

No, what critics us is reality to falsify the Bible. The Bible says things that don't match reality.

Note that you once again use a Bible story to prove the Bible. How many times does it have to be pointed out to you the fallacy of doing this?

And BTW your Bible story only mentions a caravan...not camels. There are other load beasts that can be used in a caravan.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#213084 Feb 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder why you see deception everywhere, Mr Lawyer......
Probably because deception IS everywhere. People tend to fabricate their reality to a level of comfort that is agreeable to them. The fact that they're living a lie matters little...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#213085 Feb 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
She had it comin.
I warned her over and over again to stop biting me. I begged her to stop.
She didn't.
Bitch got bopped on the head.
Then she stopped.
You see, if a woman is man enough to hit, she's man enough to get hit.
Never forget that.
ANY man who hits a women for ANY reason, is not a man, he's a coward. I enjoy listening to you rationalize your reason for hitting a women, all the while knowing you're nothing but a cowardly thug. I'm convinced that if a real man wronged you as any women, might have done, you'd not only not hit them but tuck your tail between your cowardly legs and run.

Ok, now put on your buttcrack hat, and tell me about all the bar fights you've been in, and how many men twice your size you have beaten to a pulp. Any man that would strike a women is a coward incapable of facing a man in a fight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Teaman 1,394,856
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 9,817
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr zach 311,329
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Bruin For Life 32,288
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web