Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258451 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212965 Feb 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong.
<quoted text>
I've already provided several links. Then I did the footwork for one of them, Attis: http://lmgtfy.com/...
If you need more, Google the others yourself.
<quoted text>
Why do you continually question people scoffing at you when you make an extra effort in most posts to be repulsive? That's your purpose for adding this word, is it not?
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;

http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21...

Bazinga!

Location hidden

#212966 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Still wrong. See above. And look up the word "equate." I would never equate the religious prophecies with scientific prophecies. They're not in the same league.
<quoted text>
The Alien?
I said that they are not quality prophecy, not that they aren't valid. Here's another valid prophecy, also of low quality: it will be dark tomorrow night.
Look - if you're going to ignore the meanings of words like "equate," which does not mean the same thing as either compare or contrast, and disregard the difference between a mundane prediction and a quality prophecy, including the criteria for quality prophecy, there is no basis for communication, and no point in continuing.
All that is in it for me is having to repeat myself, and there is no reason for me to continue doing that. I've made my points, and you've had you chance to rebut them. If you have nothing else to add, it's time to move on.
Look, you cannot admit that a whole culture and the most significant religion in human history are quality prophecies. I get it. In fact, I got it long ago. I just like twisting the knife in your denial.

Smile.

Location hidden

#212967 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
If that were true, why did you not specifically address the points? And the one you did mention, you censored the specific point of it being created out of nothing as the Big Bang Theory asserts.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Your myth has almost no overlap with science except that the universe and life had a beginning, like every other creation myth. I don't intend to repeat that again.
You, on the other hand, ignored all of my points listed above, every one of which your myth missed.
<quoted text>
Do you suppose the Alien ever smirks at you?
You never answered my question about what you think faith and religion have done for you, especially with regards to your intellect, character and personality. Has it made you a better person in any of those areas?
Still can't address the points? Now you want to change the subject of the discussion and attack me personally? I'm shocked!

Smile.

Location hidden

#212968 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Gay couples have a piece of paper claiming that your mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered relationship equates to marriage. That distinction bothers you immensely, in spite of your claim otherwise. You know as well as I do that nothing can change the inferior status of your relationship. It is visibly a counterfeit, scientifically defective mating behavior, factually fallacious and socially a forced sympathy to denial. Smile.

The system that put such ideas in your head can't disappear from the world soon enough. A man who speaks like you do has nothing to say to decent people.

KiMare wrote:
Oh please, be specific, what ideas are you speaking of?
Smile.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The ones that preceded my comment. They're disgusting.
The truth is disgusting?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212969 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Unable to speak?!
No, that's not what I said.
Yes you did, you agreed with eagle 12 assessment that anyone who doesn't believe in YOUR God is dumb.

Location hidden

#212970 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.
<quoted text>
Did the Alien tell you that?
How do you think you appear to others? Do you know? Do you care?
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I have to scoff. That's just poetry, and not even sciency like Cadet Nelson's.
Still avoiding the Creation points with scoffing? Damn, you are looking silly and scared.

The Proverbs passage is words of wisdom. It is the basis of scientific discovery.

Of course you scoff.

Smile.

Location hidden

#212971 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.

macumazahn wrote:
And now I prophecy. I predict that tomorrow, in the city of London, England, a child will be born. So will a cat, a rat, and a dog. See how easy?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That is quality prophecy indeed, Carnak! Have you been in touch with the Alien?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZFQFf_Vb0HwXX
(I hope my scoffing isn't too apparent. It seems to bother him.)
Which reminds me of this: Did you ever see My Little Chickadee starring Mae West? There is a hysterical scene in it in which Ms. West has approached the bench in courtroom, and makes a snide remark under her breath. The judge angrily asks (paraphrasing),Mrs. West! Are you trying to show contempt for this court? to which she replied,No, your honor. Im doing my damnedest to conceal it.
Do you think that is clever? Really?

LOL, you idiots make yourselves look dumb. I'd be embarrassed...

Smirk.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212972 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the Scripture, buddy boy:
Mark 16:17-18
"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.
Nowhere in there is a commandment to do anything.
Do you see a commandment or do you wanna just continue elementary school insults?
Are you an idiot, right there before your face......"these signs will accompany those who believe in my name,, they will PICK UP snakes. Anyone who wants to validate their belief and be on the "right side" of God, would do those things without worrying about the dangers as in "It will not hurt them."

There is no commandment, just a very plain instruction that, if you believe in me, do these things, they can't hurt you.

Location hidden

#212973 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You equated Islam and Christianity today. Either validate your claim or rescind it.
<quoted text>
Are you offended again? How about if I help validate that claim. I don't see much difference between the religions, either.
Both religions embrace magic, mythology, superstition, dogma, the supernatural, and ritual.
Both require worship and submission.
They're both patriarchal, authoritarian, misogynistic, sexually repressive, anhedonisitic, atheophobic, homophobic, antisemitic, antiscientiific, use psychological terrorism on their children, and have violent histories including genocides and terrorism.
Each has an ancient authoritarian holy book filled with hatred, tribalism, violence, and failed morals that endorse slavery, rape, infanticide, and incest.
Each features a Semitic desert god that is an angry, petty, vengeful, jealous, judgmental, capricious, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, malevolent, panty sniffing bully.
Both religions believe in demons, angels, an afterlife and a system of reward and punishment after death.
Believers of both attend temples (Mosques or churches) and obey their paternalistic, misogynisitic clergy.
The similarities are striking. Is a Christian bomber for the IRA or a Christian abortion clinic bomber different than a Muslim suicide bomber - enough to be outraged that we would dare compare them? How are they different apart from the fact that the Muslim sacrifices his own life, while the Christians hide safely at a distance?
The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam.
Is that enough similarities for you? As best I can tell, Christianity is just a camel and a prayer cloth removed from Islam. I don't see what your objection to the comparison is based on.
She equated the violence of Islam in the present day with Christianity.

You could not do it either.

Smile.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212974 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doc, Were talking about cats.
Fat cats, skinny cats, rich cats, poor cats, clawed and de-clawed cats. They dont believe in God. But they have been known to hit the church dumpster on occasion.
what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#212975 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
You had a thought? Prove it.
Fyi, ar ar hit his ex wife that he divorced, on the head.
Im not in a position to judge another on something that occurred in their past without knowing all the details. We dont know all the details so why pass judgment?

Some women can be violent and dangerous. Ever heard of Jodi Arias? She was convicted of murdering her ex-boyfriend with a knife. The murder occurred in June 2008 in Mesa Arizona.

Her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander was brutally murdered. Women can be abusive and dangerous just like men. And Jodi was a petite attractive female and Travis was certainly stronger than she was. But she killed him with repeated stabs with a knife.

Regardless if you are a man or a woman. Everyone has the right to self defense against the brutally lawless. You don't know the facts and neither do I on the particular case you referenced.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212976 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Regarding human sounding instruments, what an interesting topic. Some instruments can just moan. Not a harp or a harpsichord, but a sax, or a harmonica, or an electric guitar - especially slide guitar. And yet a pedal steel guitar, though beautiful, never becomes as plaintive (moaning low) as a great slide electric guitar. Trumpet can sound soulful as well, and slide trombone. Oboe and clarinet have their moments.
Which brings us to violin - River Tam's instrument. I'll leave it to you two to tell us about how a violin can be human the way drums and banjo can't, even though both of those instruments can be played breath-takingly with great skill and musicality - but not in a human sounding way..
Drums can certainly sound human, press your thumb on the side of the tom or snare and slowly drag it across the surface, with just the right pressure a "moaning" sound can be produced. Depending on the pressure and speed at which the thumb is drawn across the drum head, you can change the pitch and volume.

The Violin and any of the string family, Violas, cello, double bass, can also "slide" between notes, and the use of hight harmonics, by slightly touching the vibrating string can produce some very erie and human like sounds. Of course vibrato gives the notes a warm human sound. Combine these techniques with a large string section of 30 or more strings and the range of human emotions is staggering.

You forgot the "plunger" mute for both trumpet and trombone were the player can literally make the instrument "talk" Listen to "tricky sam" from the old Duke Ellington band, and Clark Terry.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#212977 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!
[smiling]

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212978 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I’m not in a position to judge another on something that occurred in their past without knowing all the details. We don’t know all the details so why pass judgment?

Some women can be violent and dangerous. Ever heard of Jodi Arias? She was convicted of murdering her ex-boyfriend with a knife. The murder occurred in June 2008 in Mesa Arizona.

Her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander was brutally murdered. Women can be abusive and dangerous just like men. And Jodi was a petite attractive female and Travis was certainly stronger than she was. But she killed him with repeated stabs with a knife.

Regardless if you are a man or a woman. Everyone has the right to self defense against the brutally lawless. You don't know the facts and neither do I on the particular case you referenced.
This from one of the most vile and judgemental godbots on topix.

He gave plenty of details that he called facts.

I can point out christian hypocrisy anytime I want.

I've earned that privilege and pointing out facts isn't always judgement, it can sometimes be observation.

Even if it was, who are you to pass judgement on a non believer?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212979 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.
<quoted text>
Still avoiding the Creation points with scoffing? Damn, you are looking silly and scared.
The Proverbs passage is words of wisdom. It is the basis of scientific discovery.
Of course you scoff.
Smile.
You do realize that people consider you stark raving mad right? Walk into a science convention, stand up on a chair and tell them that science has finally caught up with the bible and watch their reaction. Some of the most educated brilliant people on the planet, who have devoted most of their lives in discovery, will simply stare in utter disbelief, disbelief that anyone subjected to the data we have available in this point in history could even conceive of such an insane assertion. They're only recourse is to deem you totally insane, as do I, and almost everyone else here on Topix. Suggestion, seek professional help as soon as possible, it may not be to late to save you from complete and utter insanity, I personally think it is much too late for you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212980 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet the cats don't get thought modification, judgemental lectures about believing in non existent entities.
Like the poor humans who receive from christian dumpsters.
"Animals don't have Gods, they're smarter than that"

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212981 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize that people consider you stark raving mad right? Walk into a science convention, stand up on a chair and tell them that science has finally caught up with the bible and watch their reaction. Some of the most educated brilliant people on the planet, who have devoted most of their lives in discovery, will simply stare in utter disbelief, disbelief that anyone subjected to the data we have available in this point in history could even conceive of such an insane assertion. They're only recourse is to deem you totally insane, as do I, and almost everyone else here on Topix. Suggestion, seek professional help as soon as possible, it may not be to late to save you from complete and utter insanity, I personally think it is much too late for you.
C'mon! I think some people would laugh at him as well.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#212982 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;
http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21...
Bazinga!
During the early years of Christianity, it needed them.

When we say ... that he, Jesus Christ, our teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propose nothing new from what you believe about those you consider sons of Zeus.
Justin Martyr, First Apology (100165CE)

"We shall seem to utter the doctrine of Plato; and while we say that there will be a burning up of all, we shall seem to utter the doctrine of the Stoics: and while we affirm that the souls of the wicked, being endowed with sensation even after death, are punished, and that those of the good being delivered from punishment spend a blessed existence, we shall seem to say the same things as the poets and philosophers; and while we maintain that men ought not to worship the works of their hands, we say the very things which have been said by the comic poet Menander, and other similar writers, for they have declared that the workman is greater than the work." - Justin Martyr, First Apology.
Justin Martyr - CE 100ca.165 CE

hahaaahaaa

Apologists....

Noun: apologetics
1. The branch of theology that is concerned with the defense of Christian doctrines

WordWeb Pro 7.02

Christianity needed apologists to defend the belief. A belief, needed defending. There is a reason for that.

Theists believe in mythology, but do not see it as mythology.

Theology and theologians entire purpose is to try and make the supernatural deities appear real, and give religions the appearance of legitimacy. Theologians pour over religious texts, endeavoring to highlight historical aspects and realities within those texts, but the ultimate goal is to try and find the deity. The goal is to find that one bit, no matter how small that they can point to and say:

<frantic theologian>"I have found legitimate and unbiased evidence of a deity! "

That has never happened. Ever.

Theists feel theology authenticates their mythological beliefs, even though they do not see the belief as being based in myth.

They look to the theologian or at the least, someone who has their approval, as having some special authority or power to substantiate the belief. The theologian sets about to massage any portion of possible prophetic fulfillment no matter how small out from those mystical and mythic ramblings of ancient man.

They've done no more than practice what equates to, "Mytheology".

"Mytheology" ~ The in depth study by theologians of supernatural deities and supernatural elements within mythology, believed by theologians and theists to be reality, and able to be proven, but never succeeding in doing so.

I understand that you're within the myth and believe in it as a reality.

So did the believers in Zeus.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#212984 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!
Maybe he was a cat in previous life!?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212985 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[smiling]
Shaking head and sighing is disbelief!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,523,436
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 17 min El Phartss 32,922
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr silly rabbit 313,989
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 20 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr 20 DelucaKoehn 11
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 18 RNC 11,137
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Apr 8 Allycat1999 290
More from around the web