Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212517 Feb 14, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Try reading, you feckin' moron.

HereL: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/archaeo...
Try to pull up your skirt and fight your own battle, cowards.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212518 Feb 14, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Which 37 ip's?

255.255.ssssssssssss

The same subnet mask that I always use.

Why do you ask?

I like to use port 69 but I'm flexible.
Nevermind, you answered my question.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212519 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>EX{ERT is just full of shi'ite. If you provide sources, he'll say you are just parroting others and dismiss what you say. If you don't provide sources, he'll complain about that and dismiss what you say.

You can't win with him because he is inherently dishonest.
Awe, you got butt hurt and are looking for sympathy. How cute...
Chevy forever

Windsor, Canada

#212520 Feb 14, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Posting a link is not evidence it is an appeal.
Didn't expect you to fight your own battle.
You're full of EXCREMENT

you must be kristINSANITIST
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212521 Feb 14, 2014
Chevy forever wrote:
<quoted text>You're full of EXCREMENT

you must be kristINSANITIST
You ride a short yellow bus and wear a helmet, right?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212522 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
IIRC, it was Solomon rather than David that can be linked to. The only archeological evidence of Davie is a stone monument mentioning a particular Judean king (who we know to be historical) being of "the House of David". While this is some indication of the historicity of David, there is also the possibility that "the House of David" was merely a title based on mythology. But, as the program pointed out, it has been a quite some time since historians and archeologists have considered the Bible to be a reliable guide.
OK.

I thought I heard them say that it was David that was the first historical figure. You say it was Solomon. Of course, Solomon was said to be David's son, so that sets the date for bible history to begin in the tenth century BCE either way.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#212523 Feb 14, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Nevermind, you answered my question.
Well good.

What was your question?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212525 Feb 14, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Maybedemonstrable evidence.
Not a week goes by that our resident Atheist donít post something about Hitler. At least a dozen times a week. Hitler is dead. He met his demise as his kingdom fell around him. Thousands of our military men and women lost their life in Europe. Most of them were Judeo/Christians as evidence of their grave memorials.

And the man who defeated Hitler as leader of the Allied forces was a Christian. Not a perfect man. As no man has been perfect. But he was a brilliant General that brought a crushing defeat to the Naziís.

With Eisenhowerís leadership the Naziís were defeated. He was a Christian and the 34 president of the United States. In fact I donít believe America has ever had a President that didnít believe in God.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#212526 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
IIRC, it was Solomon rather than David that can be linked to. The only archeological evidence of Davie is a stone monument mentioning a particular Judean king (who we know to be historical) being of "the House of David". While this is some indication of the historicity of David, there is also the possibility that "the House of David" was merely a title based on mythology. But, as the program pointed out, it has been a quite some time since historians and archeologists have considered the Bible to be a reliable guide.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
I thought I heard them say that it was David that was the first historical figure. You say it was Solomon. Of course, Solomon was said to be David's son, so that sets the date for bible history to begin in the tenth century BCE either way.
There several more pieces of evidence for King David, but the latest is they think they have found his palace or castle what ever. It isn't the existence of David that has been in question, it is the acts and importance as well as the true power of him as a King that has been in question. It is thought all of those things were greatly exaggerated and some outright fictitious. Hence King David was a minor player and had no real power in the world.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/...

Fennario

#212527 Feb 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
I remember being "saved" several times. I kept trying because I wasn't getting any feedback. I realize now that I wasn't a very good Christian. I was able to suspend disbelief for a few minutes at a time, but for the most part I was just going along to get along.
I suspended disbelief for about seven years continuously. It wasn't hard. It's just a decision to reserve final final judgment - to be willing to accept something provisionally despite any cognitive dissonance with the understanding that the cognitive dissonance might wane over time if there is such a thing as acquired spiritual discernment, and to give that a chance to mature before deciding.

But the years passed, and that never happened. In fact, my questions and doubts were greater by the end than at first.

I think my experience may have been atypical because I came to the religion at about nineteen, after time both at university and in the military. That's got to be different than beginning at four or six years old with no skill in critical thinking.

I'm grateful for the experience. My understanding of theism and atheism each have a firmer foundation because of it.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212528 Feb 14, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Darwins Stepchild wrote:

There several more pieces of evidence for King David, but the latest is they think they have found his palace or castle what ever. It isn't the existence of David that has been in question, it is the acts and importance as well as the true power of him as a King that has been in question. It is thought all of those things were greatly exaggerated and some outright fictitious. Hence King David was a minor player and had no real power in the world.

I bet that hurt...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212529 Feb 14, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
That is if you believe that "numbers rule the world" theory.
I will agree that math is far reaching into pretty much everything, but so do fractals.
Are you familiar with numerology?
I can say that I haven't met many so-called "Christians" who are familiar with it, and I guess I could say the same with non-religious/non-believer type folks as well.3326
BTW...numerology has nothing whatsoever to do with math. And I should know.

Numerology is just woo of the same sort as astrology and tarot cards.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212530 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>BTW...numerology has nothing whatsoever to do with math. And I should know.

Numerology is just woo of the same sort as astrology and tarot cards.
You should, but don't. Snack Shack!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212531 Feb 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
Solomon was kinda sorta historical. Not any direct references from outside the Bible, IIRC, but there are archeological finds that match up with the stories of Solomon.

It has been a while since I watched it, and you may be right, but as I recall it there are no references or archeological evidence of David. The earliest evidence in archeology is mention of the House of David some centuries after David is supposed to have lived.

I may have to sit down and watch the show again.

You might notice that not one theist has commented on it, pretty clearly indicating none of them watched it.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#212532 Feb 14, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a week goes by that our resident Atheist donít post something about Hitler. At least a dozen times a week. Hitler is dead. He met his demise as his kingdom fell around him. Thousands of our military men and women lost their life in Europe. Most of them were Judeo/Christians as evidence of their grave memorials.
And the man who defeated Hitler as leader of the Allied forces was a Christian. Not a perfect man. As no man has been perfect. But he was a brilliant General that brought a crushing defeat to the Naziís.
With Eisenhowerís leadership the Naziís were defeated. He was a Christian and the 34 president of the United States. In fact I donít believe America has ever had a President that didnít believe in God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#212533 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Solomon was kinda sorta historical. Not any direct references from outside the Bible, IIRC, but there are archeological finds that match up with the stories of Solomon.
It has been a while since I watched it, and you may be right, but as I recall it there are no references or archeological evidence of David. The earliest evidence in archeology is mention of the House of David some centuries after David is supposed to have lived.
I may have to sit down and watch the show again.
You might notice that not one theist has commented on it, pretty clearly indicating none of them watched it.

Fennario

#212534 Feb 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> 1) I couldn't know for sure but I think, Yes. 2) Many people perhaps most must think it was No, Why else would they keep asking repeatedly and suffer deep self loathing,fear and condemnation.? The Jews by wich we have the gospel used to have a method of sinning and then killing an animal. God had enough of that tom foolery and gave his son to do it once and for all. Thanks to their rejection of messiah. Its a heart thing, not a mechanical mind thing. True story, I knew a lawyer fresh out of law school who was raised catholic. He somehow adopted, seemingly with clear conscience , the idea that he could do wrong and on sunday just confess and ask and get forgiveness. I was astonished at how wrong that sounded and that was before I was a Christian. I think a person who continues sin as a "matter of course" will eventually become apostate so thay can stop the mental torture of guilt shame and condemnation.
You think that somebody prayed for forgiveness and was told "No"? Why? Have you or anyone you know ever reported being refused forgiveness? I have never heard of such a thing. Sure, t here are people that go on feeling guilt or remorse, but that isn't the same as not being forgiven. That's not forgiving yourself.

My experience both directly and indirectly is that forgiveness is a sure thing if you want it and as for it, at least in the sense that you are never told "No," which is why in the past I have called it forgiveness on demand, and probably why Scaritual called it "easy forgiveness.".

Incidentally, did you see this answer to your question on formatting? Look at the correction two posts later before reading the main response:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Location hidden

#212535 Feb 14, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet that hurt...
You will find we are in search of the truth and follow evidence where ever it leads.
It doesn't effect me at all, as I have no horse in this race. But if anything it's a little bit exciting to find things like this, and when we do it puts an end to story and the historical truth becomes known. If this is Davids palace , then my money is going on that we will find King David the man, though legendary no more a man than other legendary men. Certainly no more legendary than Alexander and maybe even less so in reality.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#212536 Feb 14, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>Try to pull up your skirt and fight your own battle, cowards.
Tell me everything you know about skirts.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#212537 Feb 14, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You will find we are in search of the truth and follow evidence where ever it leads.
It doesn't effect me at all, as I have no horse in this race. But if anything it's a little bit exciting to find things like this, and when we do it puts an end to story and the historical truth becomes known. If this is Davids palace , then my money is going on that we will find King David the man, though legendary no more a man than other legendary men. Certainly no more legendary than Alexander and maybe even less so in reality.
You have no interest in the truth, as I have exposed you before.

Case in point,

Do you agree with the current scientific position that the Universe had a beginning?
Do you accept the laws of physics?

I would like to ask you a few questions about Jupiter, Mars and the Earth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min RealDave 1,173,296
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 18 min Bruin For Life 28,716
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 1 hr Quantummist 3,136
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr ChickBrilliance 307,978
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Pinoyboyguy 734
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (Jun '13) Jan 24 RICK SERVICE 32
San Diego State hoping Dwayne Polee II gets a shot Jan 23 alanparkcity 1
More from around the web