Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 10,200)

Showing posts 203,981 - 204,000 of216,391
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Numerology is quite a interesting "science", as it is heavily used in Kaballistic astrology and other mystic arts.
FYI - another number within Judaism and Christianity and Islam is the number 72 - which also has its own significance and "importance".
http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu72.ph...
...shoot 72 virgins are waiting for the Islam terrorist who kills himself.
I wonder if this person is aware there may be some virgin men included!!
:o)
Numerology now???

<headdesk>

The only number that has importance is 42. After all, it is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Numerology now???
<headdesk>
The only number that has importance is 42. After all, it is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.
Yeah - I did post a couple of posts relating to Numerology - what do you know about it?

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
Sure, according to the belief within Christianity it(asking forgiveness of the deity) must be "genuine" in its intent, however, that does not prevent the disingenuous, nor those that truly do feel as if they asked and were forgiven, from continuing in the same way and perpetrating the same ills.

That's what I'm referring to.

"For even the most powerful robber baron must sleep, but he who tortures you with righteous intent does so with a clean conscience" - C.S Lewis
"You forgive me jesus, right? Right?"

*hears nothing*

"Yeah, you do, you forgive me. I just know it."

*hears nothing*

"I may be vile to someone again tomorrow but I know you'll forgive me then as well, right?"

*hears nothing*

"Yes! I'm righteous! The jesus always forgives me."

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/160x/9617...

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Six_Of_One wrote:
Why would a lack of a belief require faith (or anything?)- dumb topix question.
Of course it doesn't.

You might think that people who trust and value faith, who think that it is a superior methodology, would claim it only for themselves, and point to the absence of it within atheism. What we're seeing more and more, is faith based thinkers accusing atheists of having faith as a way of insulting us, or bringing us down to their level.

Welcome to this dumb topix thread. I think this one is one of the better ones.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Where is your head at, Quaalude Bob?
http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture...
Moses never existed.

Neither did Abraham, nor any of the other fictional bible characters.

You can be as hate-filled and bigoted as you like: it's literally what identifies your "love" of your fellow human.

But it won't magically make your fairy tale become real.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Lets face it Blob, you quit. You took your bat and ball and left because the Jeannie didn't blink for you. The spiritually blind cant see, remember? You couldn't see the answers . You were impatient too. Youre like old man Sutter, sold his mill and went to Europe to look for gold, the lucky buyer found lots of gold. Must have been soul crushing.
I don't talk to pedophiles (you).

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

It aint necessarily so wrote:
To your knowledge, has Jesus ever turned anybody down that prayed for forgiveness? I've never heard anybody report that he said "No." How much easier does it get than that?.
I remember being "saved" several times. I kept trying because I wasn't getting any feedback.

I realize now that I wasn't a very good Christian. I was able to suspend disbelief for a few minutes at a time, but for the most part I was just going along to get along.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
If it's done to curry favor with a god or man, it's self-serving.
But even when it is given with no expectation of anything in return, it's not charitable giving in the usual sense just because it's a gift unless the money is used to help somebody who needs the help.
If the money is used to promote religion such as to build a church or to support a preacher, then it is not charity by my standards.
Worse, if by churches taking money, less is given to bona fide charities that actually serve needs, such giving actually hurts the needy.
I agree. The funds are diluted to the self-serving coffers of the church's greedy maw.

Little or nothing actually goes out to help those in need.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If Craig presents himself as an academic, he implies that he embraces academic standards, which do not include faith. If he later confesses that faith trumps reason and evidence for him, he is misrepresenting himself.
I find it disingenuous when posters require a type of answer from others that they do not require of themselves, or offer an argument that they would not accept. My answer to such faith based thinkers that demand that others provide proof, evidence or even reasoned arguments is to point out that they didn't come to their conclusions by reason or evidence, that they can't be moved from their conclusions by reason or evidence, and that they therefore have no use for such answers, nor any legitimate reason to be requesting them.
I agree completely. Which is why I think con-men like Craig are just lying.

They are quite good at the lies, they wrap the lies in pretty words with lots of syllables.

But in the end, they are still lying.

I have absolutely zero respect for the Craigs of the world. They are educated enough to **know**better**, yet they persist in the lies they *know* are lies.

Craig has been defeated on countless occasions when he's been in speaking engagements-- yet the very next time he speaks in public, he trots out the same,**refuted** things as before, as if he had not learned *anything*.

He's a liar of the lowest sort, because of that.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Blob, that is really stupid. I can't think of a more stupid term to utilize, or I would apply it to you.
Do you, by chance, have a hairbrush stuck up your ass?
I do not talk to pedophiles (you).

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it doesn't.
You might think that people who trust and value faith, who think that it is a superior methodology, would claim it only for themselves, and point to the absence of it within atheism. What we're seeing more and more, is faith based thinkers accusing atheists of having faith as a way of insulting us, or bringing us down to their level.
ha, got it!
What's funny is that I bet if someone put up a post that said "Religion requires as much science as atheists" the absurdity would be immediately obvious. Someone this topic's title doesn't jump out as fast.
Good stuff...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
I watched the remainder of the HBO special Questioning Darwin. The most memorable scene was the one with the teen-aged girl in a hospital bed paralyzed from a motor vehicle accident and breathing through a tracheostomy assisted by a mechanical ventilator while her very religious family stood by at the bedside trying to make sense of it all aloud when interviewed privately. My thoughts were that their religious beliefs were not comforting them, but causing them consternation.
It all made sense to me: rotten luck. Nobody intended it, and nobody was in a position to anticipate or prevent it, so it happened.
But to them, they had to reconcile the fact of their precious daughter reduced to that state with their belief in a god who might have willed it, or at the very least could have prevented it, but didn't. They not only have to accept that, but agree that it is a good thing even if they cannot possibly fathom how.
Besides torturing these poor people, how can such thinking not lead to a deformed moral sense? What are good and evil if you can't tell them apart by looking at them?
Also, the victim herself may very well want to die, but if so, would likely be chastised for thinking such a thing if it is believed that it is not her god's will. She has almost zero control left, yet would not be allowed to exercise her will in the only way left to her - having her natural thoughts.
Yet all of this is called comforting them.
Exactly!

The idiotic idea that "it's all for the best" and "god has a plan" and "it's all god's will" is **bullshyt**.

It causes people more grief than **any** slight help it might accidentally cause.

The only **rational** message a **sane** person could take, from witnessing the tragedy you describe?

Is that if there is a god, he's a real douchenozzle, and what this god likes the **most**?

Is making little girls **suffer** endlessly.

We know this must be so, right?

Because one of this god's spokes-weenies has told us that god delights at the suffering of people (Mother Teresa).

... especially little girls (or so it appears)

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Great post, and a wonderful perspective on how religion, at least in this case, is more harmful than comforting. The fact that these people, maybe even the young girl, believe that God can peer into your most private thoughts and condemn you if they don't align with his laws, has got to be unsettling as best, horrifying at worst. Religion really does poison the mind. Such a sad situation made worse by religious beliefs.
The only *sane* conclusion to It Ain'ts story is that this god of theirs must really **delight** in the suffering of little girls.

After all, isn't that what Mother Teresa claimed?

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
According to the NOVA special Darwins Stepchild linked us to, David is the earliest biblical character that can be said to have been a historical character. Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Esau, Joseph and his brothers, Job. Jonah, Lot, Moses, Joshua - none of these people is known to have actually existed, and none of the myths surrounding them is known to have actually occurred including the Exodus and the siege of Canaan.

But starting about 1000 BCE with David and Solomon, real people are known to have been kings over a real nation, even if not every story about them is authentic.
Yep.

I especially like the fact that the camel is mentioned in the bible about 1000 years before camels were available in the area in question.

An anachronism you'd think a **god** wouldn't have made...

... making all the OT stuff just mythology.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
I don't know why they couldn't just follow a star to Bethlehem. It takes only one night from Persia if you don't stop.
Indeed.

It must have been magical camels....

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Numerology now???
<headdesk>
... yes, yes... everyone knows that.

The *real* question is this:

What is the question, that 42 is the answer for?

Hmmm?

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
"You forgive me jesus, right? Right?"
*hears nothing*
"Yeah, you do, you forgive me. I just know it."
*hears nothing*
"I may be vile to someone again tomorrow but I know you'll forgive me then as well, right?"
*hears nothing*
"Yes! I'm righteous! The jesus always forgives me."
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/160x/9617...
Indeed.

This magical spell-casting that absolves them of any and all guilt (and by association, any and all **responsibility**) has created a nation of irresponsible people.

Proof?

Well.... Washington, DC is a lovely example.

And the fact that prisons contain more Genuine Christians™ than any other?

Is another.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
To your knowledge, has Jesus ever turned anybody down that prayed for forgiveness? I've never heard anybody report that he said "No." How much easier does it get than that?.
1) I couldn't know for sure but I think, Yes. 2) Many people perhaps most must think it was No, Why else would they keep asking repeatedly and suffer deep self loathing,fear and condemnation.? The Jews by wich we have the gospel used to have a method of sinning and then killing an animal. God had enough of that tom foolery and gave his son to do it once and for all. Thanks to their rejection of messiah. Its a heart thing, not a mechanical mind thing. True story, I knew a lawyer fresh out of law school who was raised catholic. He somehow adopted, seemingly with clear conscience , the idea that he could do wrong and on sunday just confess and ask and get forgiveness. I was astonished at how wrong that sounded and that was before I was a Christian. I think a person who continues sin as a "matter of course" will eventually become apostate so thay can stop the mental torture of guilt shame and condemnation.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it doesn't.
Ironically, these people (godbots) seem to think that faith based on wishes, is the **same** sort as faith based on actual **experience**.

The former is what all **religious** faith is, of course.

The latter is often expressed as trust-- in that trust must be earned (i.e. by experience).

But that is likely too subtle for your typical True Believer™ to comprehend.

After all-- they truly believe the world is just 6000 years young.....

....(I know.. I know... idiots is too kind a word to describe them)
Richardfs

Parramatta, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

Judged:

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<<continued>>
Properties of the Number 40
General
Jesus preached for 40 month.
Saint John takes care 40 hours near to the body of the Very Holy Virgin Mary before her Assumption to the Sky.
It is 40 years after the crucifixion of the Jesus Christ that Jerusalem was taken by the Romans and that the Temple was destroyed.
The body of Jesus remained 40 hours in the sepulchre.
Jesus received 40 blows of whip during his whipping, according to visions of Maria Valtorta. However, according to visions of Mary Agreda, Jesus would have received 5115 blows of whip!
The 40 days of the Lent before Easter.
Number of years that no man and no beast would have crossed Egypt, according to an old prophecy.
According to the book of secrets of Enoch, the four rivers of the terrestrial Paradise are subdivided by forty and surround all the Earth.
The stigmatized Martha Robin was fed only the Eucharist during 40 years.
The 40 days of fast that Buddha made to the desert before to exert his apostolate.
It is to 40 years that Buddha and Mahomet would have begun their preaching.
According to the Egyptians, it is the number of days necessary in order that the soul becomes definitively delivered of his body. Indeed, following the death of the physical body, the etheric body spends globally 40 days to be dissolved in the universe. As long as it is not fully dissolved and that particles which constitute it did not join the various elements of the nature, the conscience of the defunct will remain linked, more or less closely, to the terrestrial world in which he evolved. This is why a religious ceremony is celebrated 40 days after a death in some traditions in order to facilitate the definitive liberation of the conscience of the being with his habits and his material fasteners. It should however not confuse with what it is called the etheric energy which it is totally extracted of the body after the three days following the death.
According to the Gospel of Barnabas, chapter 54, at the end of the world, there will be 40 darkness years on the world, after what, God will give the life to his Messenger, as well as to his angels and all the elect.
For Islam, the number 40 occupies an important place: the 40 companions, the 40 perfect; the universe is supported by 40 pillars; the 40 supports of the dome of the Mosque of Omar in Jerusalem; And at the Means-Age the Muslems were made depilate the armpits every 40 days.
In some savage tribes, after the circumcision, the males had to withdraw themselves in the bush for a period of solitude of 40 days at the end of which they could then return to the village.
There had 40 mourning nights in the mysteries of Persephon and 40 days of sacrifices in the greeting of Mithra.
Philip-August and Saint-Louis enforce the regulation "Forty-the-Roy", period of 40 days where it was forbidden to any Lord to attack the nearest relatives of the offender.
Birthday of person in Japan: beginning of the old age - shoro.
Anniversary of marriage: weddings of ruby.
Occurrence
The number 40 is used 98 times in the Bible.
The number 1 under its cardinal form is used 40 times in the Gospel of saint John.
The number 40 is used 5 times in the Koran.(Koran II,48, V,29, VII,137, X,17 and XLVI,14)
The term "city of David", designating Jerusalem, appears 40 times in the OT. The verb to adore is used 40 times in the NT and the verb to disavow, 40 times in the Bible.
http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu40.ph...
40 is the most important number and proves that marriage can only be between a man and woman as a man and woman have 40 fingers and toes between them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 203,981 - 204,000 of216,391
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min the cleaner 1,033,687
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr ChickBrilliance 303,188
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Fight On 26,078
Syracuse basketball: Jim Boeheim tells ESPN Tyl... Apr 14 Lenox Da Kid 2
loan offer (Jun '13) Apr 14 Bryan Cranston 81
Burke Calls Shots With The Best (Feb '08) Apr 12 maryann 19
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Apr 12 plenty 49
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••