Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212623 Feb 15, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I must confess to a personal fondness for 3.1415926...
Herhehe.
Hey! That's kind of an irrational thing to say...

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212624 Feb 15, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Little girls, like butterflies, need no exuse." - RAH.
And yes, I'd take a bullet.
Me too.

Little kids should be protected, regardless.

A pox on the bible's monster-god, anyway-- who delights at the dashing of baby's brains on the rocks (according to his main advertisement brochure)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212625 Feb 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Actually, there are very early Israelite writings that put Yahweh as the son of El, the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon. They even mention Asherah, the wife of Yahweh. There are even a few places in the Bible where Asherah is mentioned. The P authors didn't do a complete editing of the early Bible. They left some of the stuff they were trying to write out.
You might be referring to the use of the word "we" and other plural forms when the god is voiced.

The faithful like to point out man's failings a lot. Nowhere is it more apparent than in the cobbling of that bible.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212626 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I dyed my pubic hair blonde but before I did that I wrote front and back on my panties just to be sure.
When I tried to put them on this morning the words were upside down and I couldn't read them. Oh well.
I miss RR :(
LOL!

And what do you mean you miss RR? Has something untoward happened? Did his hateful ways finally catch up to him?

If so -- that's too bad. I do not wish ill on anyone, not even one as hateful (to me) as RR was.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212627 Feb 15, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't that what she said?
I seem to recall that she denied her patients pain meds - but accepted them herself.
Teresa wrote that the suffering of people (including children--so long as they were poor, of course) was delightful to her god.

She was a horrid monster, had less compassion than your average rock.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212628 Feb 15, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Religion and science are on a curve, they curve away from each other.
Good for science and scientific progress.

Bad for religion-- sooner than later, any religion that continues to deny reality, will fade away.

Who here knows anyone who worships Set or Horus?(for example)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212629 Feb 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Absence of expected evidence of RR is evidence for the absence of RR.
And there's a lot of it.
Funny, I don't miss Dave at all.
Wait.... Dave's gone too?

WTF?

Do you think there's a connection? Perhaps RR and Dave have finally consummated their deeply held attraction for each other?

Hmmmm....

.... it's kinda funny, but until today, I had not realized either one was absent.

I've been skipping over all the godbot's posts, you see...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212630 Feb 15, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the meaning of life and everything.
Yes, yes-- that's the generalized meaning of '42', sure.

Everybody knows that.

But what is the *real* question that '42' is the answer for?

I'm told that Big Thoughts is still working on it... or was it the white mice? I forget...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212631 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Dave leave? I'll let my scroll wheel know.
Yes... it does save ever so much skipping-down.

Does it not?

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212632 Feb 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
3.14159265... doesn't hold a candle to 2.718281828...
Oh, I don't think there's a plank's distance between the two.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212633 Feb 15, 2014
scaritual wrote:
LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212634 Feb 15, 2014

“Resources For The Future”

Since: Feb 14

Los Angeles, CA

#212635 Feb 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's not what I meant by giving. That's paying for credit.
Incidentally, we don't all pay interest. I haven't spent a nickel in interest in almost five years now, when I sold my American home and paid off my last mortgage (we bought our Mexican home without one). And we haven't made a car payment, nor had any credit card debt, nor paid any other kind of finance charge since the nineties. This is just to let you know that it can be done.
Is your Mexican home long-term lease? If so, that is about the biggest charitable act of all.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212636 Feb 15, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
IIRC, it was Solomon rather than David that can be linked to. The only archeological evidence of Davie is a stone monument mentioning a particular Judean king (who we know to be historical) being of "the House of David". While this is some indication of the historicity of David, there is also the possibility that "the House of David" was merely a title based on mythology. But, as the program pointed out, it has been a quite some time since historians and archeologists have considered the Bible to be a reliable guide.
<quoted text>
There several more pieces of evidence for King David, but the latest is they think they have found his palace or castle what ever. It isn't the existence of David that has been in question, it is the acts and importance as well as the true power of him as a King that has been in question. It is thought all of those things were greatly exaggerated and some outright fictitious. Hence King David was a minor player and had no real power in the world.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/...
Indeed-- seeing as how none of the surrounding countries appear to be much affected by the Isralites' supposed activities.

Egyptian history is rather missing, when it comes to the hebrews. And they wrote about pretty much everything.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#212637 Feb 15, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Magic, for sure-- it's the only thing the bible has going for it, really.
Actually, I think the magic in it is pretty basic and un imaginative.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212638 Feb 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspended disbelief for about seven years continuously. It wasn't hard. It's just a decision to reserve final final judgment - to be willing to accept something provisionally despite any cognitive dissonance with the understanding that the cognitive dissonance might wane over time if there is such a thing as acquired spiritual discernment, and to give that a chance to mature before deciding.
But the years passed, and that never happened. In fact, my questions and doubts were greater by the end than at first.
I think my experience may have been atypical because I came to the religion at about nineteen, after time both at university and in the military. That's got to be different than beginning at four or six years old with no skill in critical thinking.
I'm grateful for the experience. My understanding of theism and atheism each have a firmer foundation because of it.
Interesting.

You were most fortunate, then-- to not have had a childhood soiled by the ugly that is Genuine Christianity™.

Location hidden

#212639 Feb 15, 2014
<quoted text>In reality, the numbers indicated by your 2nd article are miniscule. Compared to the total number of US citizens, less than a 10th of a percent wish to leave?

If you'd asked me outright, I'd have estimated the numbers to be much larger, than a mere 2000+ individuals.

As for your first link-- I've not heard of it (the law), nor has it actually passed. I don't see how it could be enforceable anyhow-- living outside the US pretty much removes a person from US jurisdiction, including the IRS.

They have no jurisdiction in foreign countries.
Thanks for that, I thought it seemed a higher number as well.

I'm not overly familiar with your tax laws so won't comment.

Location hidden

#212640 Feb 15, 2014
<quoted text>Me too.

Little kids should be protected, regardless.

A pox on the bible's monster-god, anyway-- who delights at the dashing of baby's brains on the rocks (according to his main advertisement brochure)
Agreed.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#212641 Feb 15, 2014
Wait.... Dave's gone too?
WTF?
Do you think there's a connection? Perhaps RR and Dave have finally consummated their deeply held attraction for each other?
Hmmmm....
.... it's kinda funny, but until today, I had not realized either one was absent.
I've been skipping over all the godbot's posts, you see...
RR gave us a vacation from him.

I think Dave quit.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212642 Feb 15, 2014
As for your first link-- I've not heard of it (the law), nor has it actually passed. I don't see how it could be enforceable anyhow-- living outside the US pretty much removes a person from US jurisdiction, including the IRS. They have no jurisdiction in foreign countries.
The American government has hegemony. You might be surprised by the reaction of expatriated American citizens to their government's policies that affect them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,563,710
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 27 min cpeter1313 315,175
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 11,286
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr Told Pharts 33,405
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web