Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 240137 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#212397 Feb 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If your deity has the power to shape the universe according to its will, then the universe is the result of its will, and nothing less. An all powerful deity is necessarily responsible for all that transpires within its realm of influence.
Is your deity all powerful, or just kinda powerful?
Correct. God is all powerful and responsible.

But He did turn over responsibility to me for wild sex acts.

Should I send someone over?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#212398 Feb 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is more than likely jesus existed, just not as the person in the god book. The closest anyone can get to a real person is judas ben pantera, a terrorist of the worst kind, a fanatic who was crucified for his crimes. His buddies from the forth philosophy bribed the guard and he was freed, to be seen around town before dying of blood poisoning from the nails used in the crucifixion.
Iíve seen his dads grave stone in Germany
Sure, yeah, I remember him.

There is also Judas Ben Elvis, who died on a stone toilet after eating poppy seeds.

Fans called him "The Kang".
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212399 Feb 14, 2014
blimp wrote:
I can't find any physical proof that God is not real..
but I can find proof that Atleast the will of God is real..
whatever you do to others he makes be done unto you..
so he's gotta be real!! I MEAN Ccome the heck on you guys are reading the bible wrong if you don't believe in him!
The reason your prayers are not answered is because you entered an environement of cursedness in which someone else was suffering an deep within their subconcsiouss minds they cried out to God against you without realizing it and that's the real reason bad stuff is happening .. even the act of me telling you this if you are the one in a bad situation you have also probably cried out to god against me perhaps something may happen to me now because of me discussing your plights so he can even us out which sucks but..
Maybe if you did a better job of expressing yourself we would understand the points you are trying to make.

Your "Will of God" idea is stupid and unsupported. Doing good for others and having them return that goodness, has nothing to do with the God your can't even begin to prove. It has to do with empathy and compassion, both human traits and most likely a product of our evolution. If I do something good for you, aren't you most likely willing to do the same for me? If you want to inject your God into this, the you are required to provide reliable and demonstrable evidence.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#212400 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>If you like that sort of thing, I could find time to knock you around a bit.

First, I owe Bongo an ass whoopin'.

Should I pencil you in, Aunt Betty?
Same old buck.

Incapable of learning.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212401 Feb 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched the remainder of the HBO special Questioning Darwin. The most memorable scene was the one with the teen-aged girl in a hospital bed paralyzed from a motor vehicle accident and breathing through a tracheostomy assisted by a mechanical ventilator while her very religious family stood by at the bedside trying to make sense of it all aloud when interviewed privately. My thoughts were that their religious beliefs were not comforting them, but causing them consternation.
It all made sense to me: rotten luck. Nobody intended it, and nobody was in a position to anticipate or prevent it, so it happened.
But to them, they had to reconcile the fact of their precious daughter reduced to that state with their belief in a god who might have willed it, or at the very least could have prevented it, but didn't. They not only have to accept that, but agree that it is a good thing even if they cannot possibly fathom how.
Besides torturing these poor people, how can such thinking not lead to a deformed moral sense? What are good and evil if you can't tell them apart by looking at them?
Also, the victim herself may very well want to die, but if so, would likely be chastised for thinking such a thing if it is believed that it is not her god's will. She has almost zero control left, yet would not be allowed to exercise her will in the only way left to her - having her natural thoughts.
Yet all of this is called comforting them.
Great post, and a wonderful perspective on how religion, at least in this case, is more harmful than comforting. The fact that these people, maybe even the young girl, believe that God can peer into your most private thoughts and condemn you if they don't align with his laws, has got to be unsettling as best, horrifying at worst. Religion really does poison the mind. Such a sad situation made worse by religious beliefs.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212402 Feb 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Everyone is subject to or capable of bad actions, it does not change the standard God has for people. Religion with all its problems is a better way. Buck has sufficiently demonstrated that there is a 58% chance of being eliminated if atheists are empowered. This easy forgiveness concept you talk about is not as easy as you describe.
Buttcrack is a psychopathic liar and specializes in the twisting of words and concepts. Besides being a vulgar crass human being with no respect or compassion toward his fellow man, he's also obviously criminally insane. That you would take any information he produces on face value puts your mental state into serious doubt.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#212403 Feb 14, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Buttcrack is a psychopathic liar and specializes in the twisting of words and concepts. Besides being a vulgar crass human being with no respect or compassion toward his fellow man, he's also obviously criminally insane. That you would take any information he produces on face value puts your mental state into serious doubt.
I only hope both of them are on some body's watch list as both have demonstrated psychopathic tendencies.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#212404 Feb 14, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I only hope both of them are on some body's watch list as both have demonstrated psychopathic tendencies.

He wont hurt nobody...as long as you give him a big tree and plenty of banana in his jello.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#212406 Feb 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
This easy forgiveness concept you talk about is not as easy as you describe.
Sure, according to the belief within Christianity it(asking forgiveness of the deity) must be "genuine" in its intent, however, that does not prevent the disingenuous, nor those that truly do feel as if they asked and were forgiven, from continuing in the same way and perpetrating the same ills.

That's what I'm referring to.

"For even the most powerful robber baron must sleep, but he who tortures you with righteous intent does so with a clean conscience" - C.S Lewis

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#212407 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Yes we can. And we have.
And I bet you've found it everywhere, right?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212408 Feb 14, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Same goes for Moses-- as close to certain he's myth as anything in history.
According to the NOVA special Darwins Stepchild linked us to, David is the earliest biblical character that can be said to have been a historical character. Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Esau, Joseph and his brothers, Job. Jonah, Lot, Moses, Joshua - none of these people is known to have actually existed, and none of the myths surrounding them is known to have actually occurred including the Exodus and the siege of Canaan.

But starting about 1000 BCE with David and Solomon, real people are known to have been kings over a real nation, even if not every story about them is authentic.

Fennario

#212409 Feb 14, 2014
blimp wrote:
I can't find any physical proof that God is not real..
It's with the proof that Santa isn't real.

Fennario

#212410 Feb 14, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
That whole 40-years-in-the-desert tale is ludicrous on its face.
The damn' Sinai is only about 150 miles across, and a desert-dwelling people couldn't figure out to keep Polaris on their left? Walk towards the sunset?(It makes sense to travel at night in the desert.)
I don't know why they couldn't just follow a star to Bethlehem. It takes only one night from Persia if you don't stop.

Fennario

#212411 Feb 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Everyone is subject to or capable of bad actions, it does not change the standard God has for people. Religion with all its problems is a better way.
Why? What fraction follow your god's standards? The better way is the one with the better values better manifest. Humanism has higher standards, and humanists approximate them better. Look at the participants of this thread. Most of us actually get pretty close to the Golden Rule. I'd say that you do best among the Christians posting, but you're pretty much alone.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212412 Feb 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the NOVA special Darwins Stepchild linked us to, David is the earliest biblical character that can be said to have been a historical character. Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Esau, Joseph and his brothers, Job. Jonah, Lot, Moses, Joshua - none of these people is known to have actually existed, and none of the myths surrounding them is known to have actually occurred including the Exodus and the siege of Canaan.
But starting about 1000 BCE with David and Solomon, real people are known to have been kings over a real nation, even if not every story about them is authentic.
IIRC, it was Solomon rather than David that can be linked to. The only archeological evidence of Davie is a stone monument mentioning a particular Judean king (who we know to be historical) being of "the House of David". While this is some indication of the historicity of David, there is also the possibility that "the House of David" was merely a title based on mythology.

But, as the program pointed out, it has been a quite some time since historians and archeologists have considered the Bible to be a reliable guide.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#212413 Feb 14, 2014
Why would a lack of a belief require faith (or anything?)- dumb topix question.

Fennario

#212414 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Any charitable giving that reduces income taxes paid to this government is a good deed. Even if we just make it up and deduct it. I consider that a morally pure act.
If the government served all of its citizens, I would disagree. But given how it actually uses tax dollars - so much on foreign wars, farm subsidies, the War on Drugs, clandestine operations, spying on citizens, bank bailouts, and servicing the debt run up on similar spending in the past - I would tend to agree.

Of course, I doubt that any of those are your reasons. My guess is that you either object to taxation however it is spent, or object to it being spent on things like public health care. Is that correct?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#212415 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy the desert with coffee and a cigar, right after the main course.
That would be "dessert".

But you knew that. You just pretended not to.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#212416 Feb 14, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That whole 40-years-in-the-desert tale is ludicrous on its face.
The damn' Sinai is only about 150 miles across, and a desert-dwelling people couldn't figure out to keep Polaris on their left? Walk towards the sunset?
(It makes sense to travel at night in the desert.)
The number 40 - what Numerology has to say about the symbolism:

Properties of the number 40

----------

Symbolism
According to the Bible, it is the number of the waiting, the preparation, the test or the punishment. Also the Bible often resorts to the number 40 when starts a new chapter of the history of the salvation. On the other hand, forty would indicate the duration of a generation or a long period, whose we ignore the exact length.

Symbolize the death with oneself and the spiritual rebirth.

According to R. Allendy, "it is the achievement of a cycle in the world, or rather the rhythm of the cyclic repetitions in the Universe".

According to saint Augustin, forty expresses the perfection "because the Law was given in ten commandments, then it is through the whole world that the Law has been preached, and the whole world is composed of four parts, Orient and Occident, South and North; therefore, by multiplying ten by four, we obtain forty. Or well, it is by the four books of the Gospel that the Law is accomplished."

Represent the man incorporated in the Universe and combatting the prince of the disorder, according to Claude of Saint Martin.

Represent the complete and sufficient period to finish a work, according to Lacuria.

Represent the eternal hell, according to J. Boehme, because it is the constraint with the cycles of the incarnation whose form does not change.

Symbol of penance, but these 7 aliquot parts - 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 20 - generate for our joy the number 50 in which the inheritance returns to the antique owner, in which, if we make penitence as it is appropriate, the ancient dignity is rendered to us with an increase. According to Thibaut Of Langres, it is for this reason that it is sung the psalm 50 "Miseree" for the remission of sins.

It corresponds to the thirteenth Hebraic letter, mem, and to the Arcane 13 of the Tarot: the Death, marking the completion of a stage.

http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu40.ph...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#212417 Feb 14, 2014
<<continued>>
Properties of the number 40

Bible
Forty days after the birth, Jesus was presented to the Temple of Jerusalem for his legal purification, according to the established law.

The 40 days of fast of Jesus in the desert.(Mt 4,2)

Forty days separate the Ascension of Jesus of his Resurrection.(Act 1,3)

The Flood of Noah lasted 40 days.(Gn 7,4)

Elijah walked 40 days and 40 nights before to reach the Horeb mount. He fasted during 40 days before to begin his public ministry and he remained 40 days on the Carmel mount.(1 K 19,8)

The priest Eli had been judge of Israel for 40 years.(1 S 4,18)

Moses was 40 years old when he was called by God and that he killed an Egyptian, and escaped in the desert of Midian. He kept the herd of Jethro during 40 years. He resided finally 40 days and 40 nights to the summit of the mount Sinai before to receive the Tables of the Law.(Ex 24,18)

During 40 day Goliath defied David.

The children of Israel lived during 40 years in the constraint with the Philistines.(Jg 13, 1)

The Hebrews wandered 40 years in the desert.(Nb 32,13)

The reign of Joash lasted 40 years in Jerusalem.(2 Ch 24,1)

The people of Nineveh had to repent during 40 days.(Jon 3,4)

Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebekah.(Gn 25,20)

The embalming of Jacob was prolonged during 40 days.(Gn 50,3)

The reign of David on Israel lasted 40 years, just as the reign of Solomon in Jerusalem.(1 K 2,11 and 11,42; 2 Ch 9,30)

Ezekiel supported the iniquity of the house of Juda during 40 days.

The 40 emissaries of Canaan.

The 40 years of repentance of Adam after his corrupt practice.

Forty is the number of chapters of the book of the Exodus of the Old Testament.

http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu40.ph...

<<continued>>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nuculur option 1,236,899
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 28 min State the Obvious 310,023
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr tom wingo 29,784
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 10 hr TerryE 5,773
News Former UConn Player Pleads Guilty -- Courant.com (Oct '07) May 29 tom wingo 22
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 29 Pietro Armando 201,809
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... May 25 Timotion 7
More from around the web