Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258043 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#212380 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No I am not talking about Moses and the passover, I'm talking about the slaughter of everyone in Jabesh-gilead were 400 virgins were given to men they knew not.
And I'm talking about Mose command to kill all of the Midianites as "Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."
So am I to understand that in the entire Globe only 7 people believed in God" Really? World-wide, only 7 people? And what documentation have you to show this to be true?
So you God has an escape plan? If someone believed in NIKE the winged Goddess, and felt confident that she would protect them if the jumped from a very high cliff, do you think they should? Would they be protected? Why is your Gods escape plan any more valid than Nike's? I can find stories about both, what makes your God more valid than any other God?
Thee is NO evidence that the Egyptians held Hebrews as slaves. As I said before there has never been any archeological evidence that the hebrews wandered in the desert for 40 years, not one shard of pottery, not one bone. They find cave painting hundreds of thousands of years old, burial pits full of bones, but thousands wandering in a desert for 40 years nada--zip--zilch!!!
This issue with Hitler was how the Catholic Church treated him. celebrated his birthday, turned over documents to the SS that allowed people to be imprisoned, tortured, and killed, and never excommunicated him for these horrendous crimes against humanity.
That whole 40-years-in-the-desert tale is ludicrous on its face.

The damn' Sinai is only about 150 miles across, and a desert-dwelling people couldn't figure out to keep Polaris on their left? Walk towards the sunset?
(It makes sense to travel at night in the desert.)
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212381 Feb 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Don't forget that the problem with sexual abuse and molestation of children - and adults - is just as severe, if not more so in the Protestant faiths too.
Don't forget the Protestants.
<quoted text> I think pretty much all humans are concerned with those problems, and to act as if atheists are only concerned with what happens to children and adults at the hands of the Christian clergy and membership is placing your head in the sand.
<quoted text>
Really? Do you really think worshiping a deity or deities - because none of the deities worshiped by humans do a thing to alleviate these ills you mention - is a better way?
Do you really think if there were no deity beliefs in the world, the world would be worse?
How have deity beliefs helped? I'm going to point out right now that those deity beliefs haven't helped the clergy and members of Christianity that have decided to abuse their fellow man.
If anything, this bizarre notion of believing that all you need to do is ask for forgiveness from the deity for "sin" does nothing. It quite literally enables a person to act with impunity.
Before you pull the "No True Christian™" fallacy out of your hat, understand that is not an answer, it's a hollow excuse.
Everyone is subject to or capable of bad actions, it does not change the standard God has for people. Religion with all its problems is a better way. Buck has sufficiently demonstrated that there is a 58% chance of being eliminated if atheists are empowered. This easy forgiveness concept you talk about is not as easy as you describe.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212382 Feb 14, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. During the aforementioned praying? I was just like you-- a True Believer™. I honestly believed that god would listen to my prayers.
It took me years of god not answering, or "answering" with a flat no, to realize that perpetual no is the exact same answer that a fictional character would give.
But I finally realized that; god is not real.
Lets face it Blob, you quit. You took your bat and ball and left because the Jeannie didn't blink for you. The spiritually blind cant see, remember? You couldn't see the answers . You were impatient too. Youre like old man Sutter, sold his mill and went to Europe to look for gold, the lucky buyer found lots of gold. Must have been soul crushing.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#212383 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler has never been kicked out of the Moose Lodge, either.
So Hitler is a moose. He has antlers.
Great reasoning again, Chris Stalin.
I don't know your income status, but you could make good money as a consultant to people who want to sound stupid.
Oh, by the way. Europe doesn't piss without asking our permission.
You name is buck so do you have antlers? Honey, people like you who live in glass houses get when it rains. And of course you are being silly again, I know several masons and not one has cement boots. Can’t say I know of any moose lodge members but I’d be pretty certain to notice a couple of erections sticking out of their heads.

Thanks for the inane advice but I don’t need to take your job from you.

Oh, by the way, Europe does quite a lot with out bowing to the great buck ego and his arrogant buddies. I have just been for a p|ss and you’ll be sad to note that I never thought about your BS or America as I was passing urine.

#212384 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. My logic only says that his Christian upbringing and his name on a membership role does not make him anything.
It's solid logic. Especially coupled with the documentation proving he hated christianity and had plans in place to eradicate it from Germany.
You might want to check your own typing, Richard fuckstick.
Your logic? I just sprayed my coffee over my desk. You would not know logic if it sat on your face and farted.

Anyway it’s nothing to do with logic but with FACT, actually, multiple and conclusive FACTs.

But we know you have terrible trouble accepting FACT

And of course you are in no position to dictate who is and who is not christian.

When you grow up (sorry, if you grow up) you will realise that the nasty does not go way just by wishing

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#212385 Feb 14, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't find physical proof the invisible pink unicorn isn't real either, bless her holy hooves!
And bless your heart!
Yes we can. And we have.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#212386 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we can. And we have.
Bless your heart.

Location hidden

#212387 Feb 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You name is buck so do you have antlers? Honey, people like you who live in glass houses get when it rains. And of course you are being silly again, I know several masons and not one has cement boots. Can’t say I know of any moose lodge members but I’d be pretty certain to notice a couple of erections sticking out of their heads.
Thanks for the inane advice but I don’t need to take your job from you.
Oh, by the way, Europe does quite a lot with out bowing to the great buck ego and his arrogant buddies. I have just been for a p|ss and you’ll be sad to note that I never thought about your BS or America as I was passing urine.
C'mon. When you patted it dry, you thought of me. Then rubbed a little more.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212388 Feb 14, 2014
at it's heart,**all** religion is firmly seated in a selfish desire to be Cosmically Significant to the Greater Universe? Well.... donating money to religion is **always** a selfish act.
If it's done to curry favor with a god or man, it's self-serving.

But even when it is given with no expectation of anything in return, it's not charitable giving in the usual sense just because it's a gift unless the money is used to help somebody who needs the help.

If the money is used to promote religion such as to build a church or to support a preacher, then it is not charity by my standards.

Worse, if by churches taking money, less is given to bona fide charities that actually serve needs, such giving actually hurts the needy.

Location hidden

#212389 Feb 14, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That whole 40-years-in-the-desert tale is ludicrous on its face.
The damn' Sinai is only about 150 miles across, and a desert-dwelling people couldn't figure out to keep Polaris on their left? Walk towards the sunset?
(It makes sense to travel at night in the desert.)
I enjoy the desert with coffee and a cigar, right after the main course.

Fennario

#212390 Feb 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
"...And my view here is, that the way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit. In my heart. And that this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing that Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, if in some historically contingent circumstances, the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I don't think that that contraverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." . William Lane Craig That's an incredible confession from a man who is considered a Christian intellectual and philosopher.
Craig is nothing but a con-artist of the lowest caliber. P.T. Barnum would have understood his methods.
If Craig presents himself as an academic, he implies that he embraces academic standards, which do not include faith. If he later confesses that faith trumps reason and evidence for him, he is misrepresenting himself.

I find it disingenuous when posters require a type of answer from others that they do not require of themselves, or offer an argument that they would not accept. My answer to such faith based thinkers that demand that others provide proof, evidence or even reasoned arguments is to point out that they didn't come to their conclusions by reason or evidence, that they can't be moved from their conclusions by reason or evidence, and that they therefore have no use for such answers, nor any legitimate reason to be requesting them.

Location hidden

#212391 Feb 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Indeed.
To repeat a valid meme:
When a man talks to his hairbrush, and claims said brush tells him what to do?
Everyone agrees that such a man is a nut case.
Yet?
People such as W Craig do the **exact** same thing-- only without the hairbrush.
Why is it, removing the hairbrush, suddenly makes him *not* a nut case?
Hmmm?
Blob, that is really stupid. I can't think of a more stupid term to utilize, or I would apply it to you.

Do you, by chance, have a hairbrush stuck up your ass?

#212392 Feb 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon. When you patted it dry, you thought of me. Then rubbed a little more.
Nope, when I rub it a little more I tend to think of men, not butt cracks of little intelligence and much monomania

When I do think of you it’s usually the other end, when vomiting

or is it the other way round, do I think of you when I vomit

Not actually sure of the sequence of events because thinking of you and vomiting happen in such close proximity

Location hidden

#212393 Feb 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's done to curry favor with a god or man, it's self-serving.
But even when it is given with no expectation of anything in return, it's not charitable giving in the usual sense just because it's a gift unless the money is used to help somebody who needs the help.
If the money is used to promote religion such as to build a church or to support a preacher, then it is not charity by my standards.
Worse, if by churches taking money, less is given to bona fide charities that actually serve needs, such giving actually hurts the needy.
Any charitable giving that reduces income taxes paid to this government is a good deed.

Even if we just make it up and deduct it. I consider that a morally pure act.

#212394 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
It is far from certain Jesus existed. Abraham is almost certainly mythological.
It is more than likely jesus existed, just not as the person in the god book. The closest anyone can get to a real person is judas ben pantera, a terrorist of the worst kind, a fanatic who was crucified for his crimes. His buddies from the forth philosophy bribed the guard and he was freed, to be seen around town before dying of blood poisoning from the nails used in the crucifixion.

I’ve seen his dads grave stone in Germany

Location hidden

#212395 Feb 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, when I rub it a little more I tend to think of men, not butt cracks of little intelligence and much monomania
When I do think of you it’s usually the other end, when vomiting
or is it the other way round, do I think of you when I vomit
Not actually sure of the sequence of events because thinking of you and vomiting happen in such close proximity
See. I knew you were thinking of me.

I could send some racy pics. Anything to help womankind.

How about the Buck naked and full throttle on a bearskin rug?

Fennario

#212396 Feb 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
It is far from certain Jesus existed. Abraham is almost certainly mythological.
I watched the remainder of the HBO special Questioning Darwin. The most memorable scene was the one with the teen-aged girl in a hospital bed paralyzed from a motor vehicle accident and breathing through a tracheostomy assisted by a mechanical ventilator while her very religious family stood by at the bedside trying to make sense of it all aloud when interviewed privately. My thoughts were that their religious beliefs were not comforting them, but causing them consternation.

It all made sense to me: rotten luck. Nobody intended it, and nobody was in a position to anticipate or prevent it, so it happened.

But to them, they had to reconcile the fact of their precious daughter reduced to that state with their belief in a god who might have willed it, or at the very least could have prevented it, but didn't. They not only have to accept that, but agree that it is a good thing even if they cannot possibly fathom how.

Besides torturing these poor people, how can such thinking not lead to a deformed moral sense? What are good and evil if you can't tell them apart by looking at them?

Also, the victim herself may very well want to die, but if so, would likely be chastised for thinking such a thing if it is believed that it is not her god's will. She has almost zero control left, yet would not be allowed to exercise her will in the only way left to her - having her natural thoughts.

Yet all of this is called comforting them.

Location hidden

#212397 Feb 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If your deity has the power to shape the universe according to its will, then the universe is the result of its will, and nothing less. An all powerful deity is necessarily responsible for all that transpires within its realm of influence.
Is your deity all powerful, or just kinda powerful?
Correct. God is all powerful and responsible.

But He did turn over responsibility to me for wild sex acts.

Should I send someone over?

Location hidden

#212398 Feb 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is more than likely jesus existed, just not as the person in the god book. The closest anyone can get to a real person is judas ben pantera, a terrorist of the worst kind, a fanatic who was crucified for his crimes. His buddies from the forth philosophy bribed the guard and he was freed, to be seen around town before dying of blood poisoning from the nails used in the crucifixion.
I’ve seen his dads grave stone in Germany
Sure, yeah, I remember him.

There is also Judas Ben Elvis, who died on a stone toilet after eating poppy seeds.

Fans called him "The Kang".
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212399 Feb 14, 2014
blimp wrote:
I can't find any physical proof that God is not real..
but I can find proof that Atleast the will of God is real..
whatever you do to others he makes be done unto you..
so he's gotta be real!! I MEAN Ccome the heck on you guys are reading the bible wrong if you don't believe in him!
The reason your prayers are not answered is because you entered an environement of cursedness in which someone else was suffering an deep within their subconcsiouss minds they cried out to God against you without realizing it and that's the real reason bad stuff is happening .. even the act of me telling you this if you are the one in a bad situation you have also probably cried out to god against me perhaps something may happen to me now because of me discussing your plights so he can even us out which sucks but..
Maybe if you did a better job of expressing yourself we would understand the points you are trying to make.

Your "Will of God" idea is stupid and unsupported. Doing good for others and having them return that goodness, has nothing to do with the God your can't even begin to prove. It has to do with empathy and compassion, both human traits and most likely a product of our evolution. If I do something good for you, aren't you most likely willing to do the same for me? If you want to inject your God into this, the you are required to provide reliable and demonstrable evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min flack 1,460,134
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr The Don 312,852
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr Pete_Carroll 32,616
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Wed Go Blue Forever 59
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Dec 5 Yin 17
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web