Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#211998 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Which atheist belief system do you believe to be non-existent?
That one, too?
The one on your right.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#211999 Feb 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. It is easily refuted.
<quoted text>
There is none for a theist, either. If there is an afterlife, it will be there for all of us. Nobody will be rewarded for believing a mythology. Why would they be?
Agreed.

How do you feel about sharing the afterlife with Buck and Dave Nelson?
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#212000 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism has a doctrine of God, a doctrine of origins, a doctrine of the ascent of man, a doctrine of sin, a doctrine of salvation, prophecy, and an eschatology.
It's doctrines are different than others.
I know you are slow to learn but there is no 'atheist belief system' or 'doctrine'. Perhaps you have spent too long in jail.

Location hidden

#212001 Feb 11, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The one on your left.
They're all on my left.

Location hidden

#212002 Feb 11, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you are slow to learn but there is no 'atheist belief system' or 'doctrine'. Perhaps you have spent too long in jail.
I know you atheists feel soiled by being accused of belief, but the charge is inescapable.

Sorry 'bout your luck.

Next time, choose a belief system with no belief system.

Bongo

Medford, NY

#212003 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha ,, And Catcher.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#212004 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Which right god?
.. there you are ..

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212005 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Even worse, I heard some teach their children that donuts are infinite in length.
Perverse, indeed.
Thank you, Buck, for demonstrating that infinity does exist. No one other than you could show he has infinite stupidity.

Again, thank you.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212006 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
I'm pretty depressed about having to share this life with you and Dave.

If the guy that named our species "Homo sapiens" had known you two, he would have found a different name.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#212007 Feb 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you atheists feel soiled by being accused of belief, but the charge is inescapable.
Sorry 'bout your luck.
Next time, choose a belief system with no belief system.
You are just another silly little godbot who can't see outside the jail cell of their mind and thinks everybody has to be just like them.

You think that just because you believe in something then everybody has too but guess what you are wrong.... as usual.

In fact you can not even conceive the idea that some one can has an original thought. You are so institutionalized that you have to belong to something that is probably why you are so happy in jail, a place where you don't have to work or think for yourself and you can 'fix' your problems with your fists.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#212008 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Buck, for demonstrating that infinity does exist. No one other than you could show he has infinite stupidity.
Again, thank you.
He has a knack for that.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#212010 Feb 11, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I havenít spent a lot of time in courtrooms but I was on a Jury on two occasions. One was a civil case and the other was a criminal case.
And testimony from witnesses is considered evidence. We both know that personal testimony can be fabricated but it can also be factual.
This is why we have Juries(...).
Testimony, as it applies to a legal matter in court isn't the same as a religious testimony.

Sure, expert witnesses can give a professional opinion, and depending on the facts surrounding that, move that opinion, to an objective opinion >>>----> to fact. Then there are witnesses in a court, that do not give an opinion based upon a professional or official status - they just relay what they saw or didn't see - in a process that attempts to arrive at a factual or reasoned conclusion about an event.

Religious testimony is pure subjective opinion - about an event, occurrence or subject - and its origin or source is said to be from the "supernatural". Unless there is some sort of verifiable or demonstrable evidence that can be evaluated, it remains pure subjective opinion.

Want a general example of that?

<personal religious testimony>"I saw the boulder coming down the mountain, and all of a sudden it was as if a hand suddenly pitched the boulder up and over myself while riding my motorcycle. I knew the road was fraught with danger. I had prayed before I left for the lord to keep me safe and he did. It was a miracle!"

<observant onlooker testimony> "As the boulder tumbled down the mountain, it hit an embedded rock outcrop, this is what pitched the boulder over the road and gave it the momentum to make it over the guardrail and hit the van full of children on the switchback below. I took pictures of where the boulder hit that rock outcrop, and have the entire event on video. As a matter of fact, in watching the video, you can see that the boulder never came close to you and your motorcycle "

Guess which testimony carries weight in a courtroom?

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#212011 Feb 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Testimony, as it applies to a legal matter in court isn't the same as a religious testimony.

Sure, expert witnesses can give a professional opinion, and depending on the facts surrounding that, move that opinion, to an objective opinion >>>----> to fact. Then there are witnesses in a court, that do not give an opinion based upon a professional or official status - they just relay what they saw or didn't see - in a process that attempts to arrive at a factual or reasoned conclusion about an event.

Religious testimony is pure subjective opinion - about an event, occurrence or subject - and its origin or source is said to be from the "supernatural". Unless there is some sort of verifiable or demonstrable evidence that can be evaluated, it remains pure subjective opinion.

Want a general example of that?

<personal religious testimony>"I saw the boulder coming down the mountain, and all of a sudden it was as if a hand suddenly pitched the boulder up and over myself while riding my motorcycle. I knew the road was fraught with danger. I had prayed before I left for the lord to keep me safe and he did. It was a miracle!"

<observant onlooker testimony> "As the boulder tumbled down the mountain, it hit an embedded rock outcrop, this is what pitched the boulder over the road and gave it the momentum to make it over the guardrail and hit the van full of children on the switchback below. I took pictures of where the boulder hit that rock outcrop, and have the entire event on video. As a matter of fact, in watching the video, you can see that the boulder never came close to you and your motorcycle "

Guess which testimony carries weight in a courtroom?
*bounces up and down on seat, holding hand up*

The reality based testimony?

(the second one)

“Yes, I'm A Witch; Deal With It”

Location hidden

#212012 Feb 11, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the fact is that non-christians significantly outnumber you christians.
The rest of your post was delusional bullshit.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, that wasn't the issue.
That *was* the issue; you said do. You said there were more christians than anyone else. You were wrong. Or you lied. Which is it?
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you want to include others, religious belief systems SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber atheistic belief systems.
I'm not contesting that; I'm contesting your false claim, and you aren't addressing that.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>As to the rest of your post? Scoffing is not a reasoned response.
It wasn't scoffing, it was fact; the rest of your post was delusional bullshit.

Location hidden

#212013 Feb 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya KiMare ..
.. why are you posting scripture on an Atheist thread ??..
Hiya hotstuff!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212014 Feb 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
I wont. I do think you cast aspersions on the Church that color it a little unfairly. Presently there are problems, mostly due to human nature. God has set criteria for his people , that's not likely to change.
I agree that the problems with the church are a reflection of the baser nature of man, and I agree that that's not likely to fix itself.

From a skeptics' perspective, how would you recommend we proceed?

Location hidden

#212015 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
HBO is airing a show titled, "Questioning Darwin"
Mark Joseph of Slate has written a review titled,ďThe Cruelty of Creationism.Ē
He says in one place...
"Creationism, the documentary reveals, isnít a harmless,compartmentalized fantasy. Itís a suffocating, oppressive worldview through which believers must interpret realityóand its primary target is children. For creationists, intellectual inquiry is a sin, and anyone who dares to doubt the wisdom of their doctrine invites eternal damnation. Thatís the perverse brilliance of creationism, the key to its self-perpetuation: First it locks kids in the dungeon of ignorance and dogmatic fundamentalism. Then it throws away the key."
Has anyone heard of this crappola movie being pushed by Fox Network called "Son of God?" None of the actors are named, no writers are mentioned, no director or producer, no credits being shown at all (I guess no one wants their name associated with it; kind of like those magazines put out by the Jehovah's Witnesses). The only certainty is that it's being put out by 20th Century Fox--which, before you jump all over them, is also responsible for "Family Guy," "American Dad," and about six "Star Wars" movies.

Fennario

#212016 Feb 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
I do think you cast aspersions on the Church that color it a little unfairly.
How am I being unfair? What have I said about it that isn't reasonable?

Fennario

#212017 Feb 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Religion is the ONLY reason atheists are subject to bigotry and hatred, both in the job market and in their own families. Who thinks that we should just roll over for it, or that if we don't, it is evidence of hatred and bigotry from unbelievers? Denying that we are immoral, demon infested souls in rebellion isn't enough. The only effective response I know of is to shine a light on the church.
Bongo wrote:
This is good. Your actions should help Christians behave better. Its similar to the cure for racism. Individuals should be ridiculed for unacceptable behavior, not the whole group. Its an amazing thing when atheists use scripture to deal with Christians. Shine that light, after all, Judgement begins in the house of God.
Thanks.

Actually, if the church was a little more thoughtful, we could and would leave it alone. I wish it no harm, I just want it to stop degrading people's lives, mine included. I just happen to think that that will never happen until the church is unable to do so.

Fennario

#212018 Feb 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
I think people struggle to understand what Holiness is. Knowing how insignificant we are is a good start.
I think that we don't need that lesson. We need to realize what man is capable of being, and to pull ourselves to that place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Pearl Jam 307,128
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr johnplustwomore 1,156,637
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Bruin For Life 28,515
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 3 hr Christian Atheism 694
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 8 hr IBdaMann 2,745
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Sat yinefsfgd 3
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 Dec 25 ivyawe 1
More from around the web