Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258044 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211880 Feb 10, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>For what, the runestone
Here's something that makes it simple - the faker signed it, and attempted to disguise his signature with a cryptogram.
http://scienceblogs.com/aardvarchaeology/2011...
“Öh mans fan vi ved hade ved sten”, or in English,“The Öhmans found. We kept/collected firewood at the stone.”
“… this is not strictly a case of forgery, but of a practical joke gone wrong through the gullibility of others.…Öhman himself may have been both surprised and a little disappointed to find that his hints about who made the inscription were never noted, and as time passed it became successively more difficult for him to confess. After his rune stone gained acceptance in wider circles through skilful marketing by others, it became almost impossible for him to come clean with his honour intact."
Larsson, M.G.. 2010. Vem ristade Kensingtonrunstenen? Saga och sed 2010. Uppsala.
If you want something else, like sources that explain why the language is all wrong and other problems, I'll be happy to provide them, but I think this is quite definitive.
Thanks for the link - I'll make a note of it.

To add to your post - this link also states the runestone could also be a hoax - but it has nothing to do with your "numbers" explanation, but relative to actual history out of Norway/Sweden.

Thanks again for the link.

http://www.badarchaeology.com/...

Just because one artifact is dismissed as true, it doesn't mean that the efforts Wolter is doing is only "chasing rabbits down holes", as you would like to imply.

I guess the Narragansett Rune Stone isn't in this category yet - until the origin facts are discovered about this stone, huh?

http://narragansett.patch.com/groups/politics... ,

Just to state, and in defense of Wolter - IMO Wolter has not mentioned or actually stated that this history is true, but is out to try and prove it to be.

It seems you are jumping the gun with implying I believe all that he is doing is all factual. I don't and am have skepticism in many aspects with these discoveries.
- are they researched enough by scholars to deem "untrue"
- are there plausible scenarios that can depict a find as true. What are the objections?
- Can an artifact be hoaxed? As we have seen throughout time, many people try to hoax different things. We've seen it with the "James Ossuary", "Bigfoot", as well as "The Shroud of Turin" and other "historical" items.

BTW - either you or DS asked me for a sign of skeptism.....here you go....

Animal mutations disprove "God".
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211881 Feb 10, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Soooo, you don't know of any prophecies come true either, huh?
I’m just wondering why you would even ask that question if you were a Christian for 40 years. Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled.

You said you were a Christian for 40 years. Why do I have to teach a former Christian?

Just one of many.

Old Testament Prophecy:

“Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign, Behold, the young woman who is unmarried and a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel–God with us (Isaiah 7:14).

Fulfillment:

“Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place under these circumstances: When His mother Mary had been promised in marriage to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be pregnant (through the power) of the Holy Spirit”(Matthew 1:18).

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#211882 Feb 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. ultimately, I think it revolves around boundaries ..
.. most mammals mark their territories. For humans, it might be expressed by a wedding band or a fence, in the cat family a scent ..
.. in the past, muriqui monkeys formed egaliterian social relationships. Their territory is now endangered and they have begun to exhibit aggressive behavior ..
.. when territories are violated, perhaps aggression is a natural survival instinct? That would make cooperation a higher impulse, aggression the lower impulse ...
.. your thoughts ??..
You may violate my territory any time you like.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211883 Feb 10, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared that the Messiah would be betrayed for the price of a slave—thirty pieces of silver, according to Jewish law-and also that this money would be used to buy a burial ground for Jerusalem's poor foreigners (Zechariah 11:12-13). Bible writers and secular historians both record thirty pieces of silver as the sum paid to Judas Iscariot for betraying Jesus, and they indicate that the money went to purchase a "potter's field," used—just as predicted—for the burial of poor aliens (Matthew 27:3-10). www.reasons.org
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211884 Feb 10, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
I make the prophecy that duck 12 will make another meaningless post and another and another and....
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211885 Feb 10, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
Some 400 years before crucifixion was invented, both Israel's King David and the prophet Zechariah described the Messiah's death in words that perfectly depict that mode of execution. Further, they said that the body would be pierced and that none of the bones would be broken, contrary to customary procedure in cases of crucifixion (Psalm 22 and 34:20; Zechariah 12:10). Again, historians and New Testament writers confirm the fulfillment: Jesus of Nazareth died on a Roman cross, and his extraordinarily quick death eliminated the need for the usual breaking of bones. A spear was thrust into his side to verify that he was, indeed, dead. www.reasons.org
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211886 Feb 10, 2014
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles square, was enclosed not only by a moat, but also by a double wall 330 feet high, each part 90 feet thick. It was said by unanimous popular opinion to be indestructible, yet two Bible prophets declared its doom. These prophets further claimed that the ruins would be avoided by travelers, that the city would never again be inhabited, and that its stones would not even be moved for use as building material (Isaiah 13:17-22 and Jeremiah 51:26, 43). Their description is, in fact, the well-documented history of the famous citadel. www.reasons.og
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211887 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m just wondering why you would even ask that question if you were a Christian for 40 years. Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled.
You said you were a Christian for 40 years. Why do I have to teach a former Christian?
Just one of many.
Old Testament Prophecy:
“Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign, Behold, the young woman who is unmarried and a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel–God with us (Isaiah 7:14).
Fulfillment:
“Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place under these circumstances: When His mother Mary had been promised in marriage to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be pregnant (through the power) of the Holy Spirit”(Matthew 1:18).
So you are saying there were no unmarried pregnant women prior to 0BC.
In that case we have the bibull to blame for all single moms in the world

BTW Virgin meant unmarried girl.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211888 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some 400 years before crucifixion was invented, both Israel's King David and the prophet Zechariah described the Messiah's death in words that perfectly depict that mode of execution. Further, they said that the body would be pierced and that none of the bones would be broken, contrary to customary procedure in cases of crucifixion (Psalm 22 and 34:20; Zechariah 12:10). Again, historians and New Testament writers confirm the fulfillment: Jesus of Nazareth died on a Roman cross, and his extraordinarily quick death eliminated the need for the usual breaking of bones. A spear was thrust into his side to verify that he was, indeed, dead. www.reasons.org
My prophecy has come true.

I am writing to the Guinness Book of Records claiming I have made the world's fastest prophecy.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#211889 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared that the Messiah would be betrayed for the price of a slave—thirty pieces of silver, according to Jewish law-and also that this money would be used to buy a burial ground for Jerusalem's poor foreigners (Zechariah 11:12-13). Bible writers and secular historians both record thirty pieces of silver as the sum paid to Judas Iscariot for betraying Jesus, and they indicate that the money went to purchase a "potter's field," used—just as predicted—for the burial of poor aliens (Matthew 27:3-10). www.reasons.org
Except the unknown author of "Matthew" attributes the prophesy to Jeremiah.

You'd think that if you were going to spin a yarn about prophesies being fulfilled, you'd get the prophet right.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211890 Feb 10, 2014
Judging by the votecons I have tick off a godbot, I wonder who it might be.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211891 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>My prophecy has come true.

I am writing to the Guinness Book of Records claiming I have made the world's fastest prophecy.
Oh great prophet! Teach us!
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211892 Feb 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh great prophet! Teach us!
You've had your freebie. It's $19.99 a hit from now on.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#211893 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one of many.
Old Testament Prophecy:
Fulfillment:
Except, of course, that the virgin birth never happened...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211894 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles square, was enclosed not only by a moat, but also by a double wall 330 feet high, each part 90 feet thick. It was said by unanimous popular opinion to be indestructible, yet two Bible prophets declared its doom. These prophets further claimed that the ruins would be avoided by travelers, that the city would never again be inhabited, and that its stones would not even be moved for use as building material (Isaiah 13:17-22 and Jeremiah 51:26, 43). Their description is, in fact, the well-documented history of the famous citadel. www.reasons.og
330 feet high???

It is too laugh.

You clearly don't know much about the limitations of building with un-mortared stone. You might note that all tall structures built with un-mortared stone are in the form of a pyramid. That is because steep angles of un-mortared stone are unstable, as evidenced by several early Egyptian pyramids that collapsed when built with steep walls and above a limited height.

How long was it supposed to have taken to build this 33 story high, 90 foot thick, 800 mile long wall?

You'll believe just about anything, won't you?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211895 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>You've had your freebie. It's $19.99 a hit from now on.
Gosh darn it! Bloody profits..

*walks off shaking head in disgust*
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211896 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you only knew what you don’t know. Then you would know that you didn’t know what you claimed to know. Knowing nothing as if it was something is a weight without the scale.
And you have nothing to compare because you have nothing from the beginning. In the end you will still have nothing. Belief in nothingness is not something to be proud of.
Try selling non existing hot chocolate in a blizzard. Or imaginary snow cones in the hot Summer. Even though you have nothing, you’re so proud of your nothingness.
Your argument is non existent because it’s without substance. Something is always better than nothing. And nothing is all you have. Zero multiplied or divided by Zero always equals Zero.
Zero is what you believe in and Zero is nothing.
I think I'll jump in here, I can help myself from responding to nonsense.

First off I don't believe in "nothingness" I don't even know what "nothingness" is, do you? I have numerous things I believe in and for everyone one of them I have supporting evidence, can you say the same?

Can you define "nothingness?" or are you just talking out of your ass?

In order for you to believe a virgin was impregnated without physical contact with male, or by any other natural means, as in artificial insemination, you are required to believe in magic. Saying we have nothing to compare it to is simply a bold faced lie, we have REALITY to compare it to, the naturalistic realm. When using reality as a comparison, we have no examples of a female becoming pregnant without sexual contact or artificial means, as a matter of fact medical science will tell you no such event has ever been documented throughout medical history.

You may claim this event happened, but once again, you MUST use magic, Godmagic as a cause. I stopped believing in magic a long tie ago, you seem to still hold on the childish idea that magic is real, why is that? Religious poisoning? I think that is the only answer, so, GROW UP will ya!!!!!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#211897 Feb 10, 2014
http://tinyurl.com/lbhkww7
Eagle 12 wrote:
(...) Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled(...)
But...
Eagle 12 wrote:
In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared(...)
Where...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Some 400 years before(...)
How...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles(...)
Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?

<Bird-theist> "In the bible, of course ...You just read the bible and once a prophecy is made in the bible, later on while reading the bible, you read in the bible that the bible prophecy made in the bible was fulfilled just like the bible said .... "

"OH"

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211898 Feb 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
But...
Eagle 12 wrote, "In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared(...)"

Where...
Eagle 12 wrote, "Some 400 years before(...)"

How...
Eagle 12 wrote, "Mighty Babylon, 196 miles(...) "

Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?

<Bird-theist> "In the bible, of course ...You just read the bible and once a prophecy is made in the bible, later on while reading the bible, you read in the bible that the bible prophecy made in the bible was fulfilled just like the bible said .... "

"OH"
Ok, this is way funnier.

Hi, scar :D

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211899 Feb 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> But...
<quoted text>
Where...
<quoted text> How...
<quoted text> Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?
"OH"
Kinda like in Harry Potter where it was prophesied that Harry would be the bane of Voldemort. And guess what. Harry WAS the bane of Voldemort. So there you have it. A prophecy fulfilled.

All hail Harry Potter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min ThomasA 312,854
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Aquarius-wy 1,460,160
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr Pete_Carroll 32,616
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Wed Go Blue Forever 59
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Dec 5 Yin 17
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web