Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 10,156)

Showing posts 203,101 - 203,120 of216,879
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I recommend you check out this blog:
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/america-unearthe...
I don't think anyone is, as you suggested earlier, particularly committed to a rigid, even dogmatic view of history. I would be very interested to learn that certain historical events happened differently than we believe, or that we are missing important pieces of history. But this guy isn't really interested in good scholarship, archaeology, geology, research, or honesty. He seems more interested in making reaching, occasionally outright fabricated and\or discredited claims that attempt to radically revise history; often effecting a conspiratorial tone just for good measure.
A good parody that might cause you to consider Wolter from another perspective, if the above reviews haven't already done that...
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/1/post/2013/02/i...
Judging by his/her screen name, I'm guessing that skepticism is not a strong suit. The "New Age" points toward a belief in woo, magical thinking not much different from the fundamentalists we see here.

Just a hypothesis on my part, but so far the evidence seems to support it.

If this is the case, we aren't going to convince New Age of anything. He/she will believe what he/she wants to believe.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

timn17 wrote:
Also, the above mentioned parody is particuarly illuminating because none of the "evidence" for unicorns is made up - the author uses actual documents, artwork, and witness account to "make the case" for unicorns. The result is a "proof" of unicorns that is indistinguishable from the techniques that Wolter uses to perform his magic - featured are intentional omissions; out of context quotations, artwork, and documents; complete misrepresentations; leading suggestions; etc...
I think you may have just convinced New Age that unicorns are real.
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You have said anyone saying something racist in a poor black area should expect to be assaulted yet in your neighborhood the response one should expect is to have champagne thrown at them. You clearly see poor, black people as people that one should expect will respond to words with physical assaults.
You have negatively broad-brushed Christians
You have made mocking religious jokes including comments like Yahwehmart
You have constantly labeled rednecks as something negative
You falsely accuse people of abusing their children and attacking women
I can't even keep track of the different claims you have made to explain your lawyer timeline. One that includes a big shot criminal defense attorney not knowing basics about getting records expunged.
Maybe the naked guys you shower with have you a false sense of self because I don't see how the guy posting about how not to be too rough when having anal sex with a family member so as not to hurt them thinks he is in any position to play the 'morals card'
True. Do as Catcher says, not as he does. Good call.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because women aren't better drivers than men, when you compare the amount of miles men drive more than women.
Men drive 40% more miles than women.
Men represent 8% more crashes than women.
Go figure.
No evidence of god

Tons of evidence for Evolution.

Go figure.

Cheating lying creationists choose the facts & statistics they like, ignoring the rules of science.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go.
Lawyers as a class are bad people.
Black people as a race are criminal minded.
Women as a gender are bad drivers.
The Redneck philosophy:
Classify and denigrate.
Ignorant people who think the earth is 3000 years old because of their Creationist mental illness, should really stop sharing their opinions.

That means you Catcher.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

King

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>The one where Bamm-Bamm has to pay Fred 50 pieces of silver?
I guess he has TWO books.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>The KJV is a medieval book written by medieval minds FOR medieval minds.

It's no wonder you like it do much.
Then why do so many people refer to it as a living bible.

Why not just call it what it is?

A book of ancient fables. Like Aesop's Fables.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hate the person.

I do hate the behavior.

It's that "hate the sin but love the sinner" thing.

As for your other request, I'll invoke that "public forum" thing.

If you don't like it, the door is over there.--------->

Shit.

I thought it was over there.
<----------

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, you have that in common.
As do most Christians.
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because women aren't better drivers than men, when you compare the amount of miles men drive more than women.
Men drive 40% more miles than women.
Men represent 8% more crashes than women.
Go figure.
Just an observation on your jokes. I do think at times they go over the line but to each his own. Funny thing they over the last few days those that carry on about your jokes say not a word when Catcher makes jokes that mock rape and incest. Just a guess but would people that have had it happen find it funny? And so it goes.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

You may eventually be deemed not responsible for your life. Would you consider that a good thing or a bad thing?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I believe we are all 100% responsible and accountable for our actions and choices.

That's not even close to what I asked you.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
YOUR TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
A lawyer dismantled segregation at the University of Mississippi.
What was his name?
HINT: He graduated from Harvard.
<quoted text>
BUZZ
.. anyone else want to take a guess ??..
.. AIN ??..
No, I don't know and couldn't find it either the first time you asked (I tried), nor again this morning when I saw that you asked me by name. My first thought was Morris Dees, but he's an alumnus of the University of Alabama School of Law,and probably too young.

Wiki discusses desegregation at the University of Mississippi at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_M... , where we read about the heroic efforts of James Meredith, but he wasn't not an attorney.

Are you referring to Attorney General Robert Kennedy?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhhhh. That makes sense. I figured whatever medicines or equipment was needed was somewhere in the hospital. They keep it all handy right there in the ER?
Yes. ER's are fully functional emergency clinics. They use the attached hospital for laboratory and radiology services only because it would be an unnecessary duplication to have those capabilities in the ER as well. And they use the pharmacy for medications not considered part of ACLS (Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support), such as antibiotics. Also, if stabilization requires emergency surgery not feasible on a gurney in the ER, the hospital's surgical suites are utilized.

Apart from the reasons already mentioned, the main reason that ER's are attached to hospitals is because bona fide emergencies virtually always require follow-up hospitalization for observation if nothing else. Also, people would probably screw up and show up at hospitals with their emergencies anyway even if ERs were commonly known to be elsewhere.

But ERs need 24 personnel, and all emergency equipment such as defibrillators, IV solutions, pumps, and medications in the ER. And they often throw out a lot of it unused and expired. They are very expensive to maintain, cannot turn away emergencies whatever the insurance status, and generally treat 25-75% of their patients without compensation depending on the economic health of the community and its access to affordable preventive care. They're often money losers for the hospital.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

My pleasure. It's absurd for the church to be crying "persecution" now that its victims are just able to mount a response. If it didn't invent the practice, they certainly perfected it: "It seems religion can dish it out okay but it can’t take it - like a street thug who calls the police when his victims fight back" - Pat Condell
KiMare wrote:
Matthew 16:17-18 (NASB77) 17 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.
Thanks. That was a big help.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, thee is more than one type. You just don't know it yet.
"The exact definition of racism is controversial both because there is little scholarly agreement about the meaning of the concept "race", and because there is also little agreement about what does and does not constitute discrimination."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism&#8206 ;
What did you say about being home schooled?
Wikipedia? Wow…so educational…

Oh and wonderful, I have just clicked you link and guess what –
“Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Racism& in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.”

So about that schooling, what did you say?

So using my superiour education I searched for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism instead and I see that you have once again cherry picked a partial passage out of context. You are so predictable. So here let me offer you some that you chose to omit.

“Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.

Then came the bit you cherry picked.

You will note that the “educational” page you chose to cite has been anonymously edited over 500 times since Dec 2010, then the archived history runs out
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...

Racist,(like you) verbally (and often physically) abuse races that you don’t like or don’t understand for either personal or religious reasons.

The fact remains that the degree of racism does not matter, from simple (innocent (LOL)) name calling to genocide, it’s all racism

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Thanks. Yes, we toasted our victory. But the serious drinking occurs Monday nights at Matt and Pam's hotel bar, where the trophy sits, and where we meet for group Jeopardy.
I should note that Matt is a Christian and I whupped him last Monday in the category “Name the Bible Book.” I was the only only one to identify a proverb as coming from Proverbs, and the only one to get the daily double “But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea and there was a mighty tempest.”
Well into my cups, I shouted, "What is Jonah?" Matt informed me that there was no such book after I shouted out my answer. LOL. Arrogance is allowed in this setting, and I told him to listen and learn. Alex confirmed my choice. People there were shocked, since many know that Matt is a Christian and I am an atheist. They said that they were glad that I was on their team, even my good buddy Matt. Good fun..
It is quite common for non christians to know more of the babble then christians do. I often find I am more knowledgeable about the babble than my friend who is a BAC, quite far up in the church hierarchy, her employment is administrative in the church organisation. Even so you should be well proud of your achievement.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

<quoted text>
No, I don't know and couldn't find it either the first time you asked (I tried), nor again this morning when I saw that you asked me by name. My first thought was Morris Dees, but he's an alumnus of the University of Alabama School of Law,and probably too young.
Wiki discusses desegregation at the University of Mississippi at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_M... , where we read about the heroic efforts of James Meredith, but he wasn't not an attorney.
Are you referring to Attorney General Robert Kennedy?
.. BINGO !! Bobby ordered federal troops to the Univ. Of Mississippi and forced the enrollment of James Meredith ..

.. you win yesterday's trivia contest ..

TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION

What married, world famous female leader had a lesbian relationship?

HINT: Hick-Up

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. BINGO !! Bobby ordered federal troops to the Univ. Of Mississippi and forced the enrollment of James Meredith ..
.. you win yesterday's trivia contest ..
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION
What married, world famous female leader had a lesbian relationship?
HINT: Hick-Up
Bobby did go to Harvard, but as an undergraduate. He went to law school at the University of Virginia.

And as you know, I know the answer to your new question.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging by his/her screen name, I'm guessing that skepticism is not a strong suit. The "New Age" points toward a belief in woo, magical thinking not much different from the fundamentalists we see here.
Just a hypothesis on my part, but so far the evidence seems to support it.
If this is the case, we aren't going to convince New Age of anything. He/she will believe what he/she wants to believe.
Gauging by my namesake to suppose knowledge.

Ay yes - the use of a familiar "christian" tactic - making comments upon the poster's name instead of disputing the evidence with opinions.

Gotcha DS. You and tim seem to be doing well with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 203,101 - 203,120 of216,879
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeah 1,034,084
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr DAVID27 303,252
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Fight On 26,094
Syracuse basketball: Jim Boeheim tells ESPN Tyl... Apr 14 Lenox Da Kid 2
loan offer (Jun '13) Apr 14 Bryan Cranston 81
Burke Calls Shots With The Best (Feb '08) Apr 12 maryann 19
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Apr 12 plenty 49
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••