Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255879 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#211214 Feb 5, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I hope this is the last time anyone has to post this.
Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. I am an agnostic atheist, because I don't believe in a god, but I am not sure there aren't any gods. Another example - if you say you are sure there is a god, you are a gnostic theist, because you believe in god and are sure of that position.
Agreed.

A pretty good illustration.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Also, either of the two, atheist or agnostic, do not have a - belief - deities exist.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#211215 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rocco, good to see you here!
I see you've met our village idiot, the Redneck.
Thanks, Catch.

But he IS a good speller, just saying..........

..........and I do like his explanation of how long a "poof" is - or isn't.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211216 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
A pretty good illustration.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
Also, either of the two, atheist or agnostic, do not have a - belief - deities exist.
Clearest illustration I've seen. Fingers crossed (that it does the job).

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211217 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why even bother trying to get through to a dishonest idiot?
It's like a cross between an elephant and a rhinoceros.

Elephino.

No arguments though. He is a dishonest idiot.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211219 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How's a black woman know she's pregnant?
When she pulls out the tampon and the cotton's already picked.
Crass, ignorant racist, I went out of my way to register a complaint against you, I certainly hope your fellow Christians are proud of your ignorant racists behavior. I really had thought out species had outgrown such dehumanizing behavior.

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#211220 Feb 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it was Gov. Cuomo who made the statements.
The invidiousness of his statement is that he defamed people, not just a particular policy view. People who are pro-life, pro-second amendment, and opposed to same-sex marriage,(omitting the governor's straw-man exaggeration of the terms) make up over half the nation's population.
If Cuomo has arguments that diminish the credibility of such people, he should use them, rather than use fallacious and elitist rhetoric to diminish them as human beings.
Further, with tax and regulatory policy in NY being what it is, there is no need for finding new reasons to keep people out, or encourage them to flee.
Hello Buck, how true.... ex-New Yorker here - I heeded Bob Matherson's(R.I.P.) warnings .."Leave NYS before it's too late"
;)

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#211221 Feb 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. That's what is so funny. While this Governor is doing all he can to run people out of the state of New York here in Florida they are buying airtime on local stations wanting people to relocate a business in New York. Good luck with that.
NOooo, yer kiddin',right? In FLORIDA?!....Haha! Ol' Bob must be spinning in high rotation in his grave...

They're running the adds here in Pa. and Maryland as well! All industry I've either worked/consulted for are GONE from "Little Silicon Valley" (Long Island tech parks), and been 'put out to pasture'....

You're right Chris, good luck with that..

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211222 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to point out, Scott Wolter is pretty much on the fringe, or even beyond it.
His is the type of show that has alienated any serious academic from the History Channel.
These "discoveries" of his are little more than wishful thinking.
Oh yeah. This is a good blog dedicated to criticizing "America Unearthed."

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/america-unearthe...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211223 Feb 5, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah. This is a good blog dedicated to criticizing "America Unearthed."
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/america-unearthe...
The History Channel used to be pretty good. It was one of my favorite networks. Then they started going for the sensational and have really gone downhill. They still have a few good shows, but I don't pay them much attention any more.

I did a <headdesk> reading the guys own profile..."evidence of the Knights Templars in pre-Comumbian America"...based on a hunch about one artifact. Jeez. That is about as bad as the Atlantis stuff.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211224 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No I don't object to a public option.
Would you support the idea?

Fennario

#211225 Feb 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Have you looked at your avatar lately, or read its caption? D'oh!
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I suppose you are expecting RR to have a sense of irony???
I don't expect much except more of the same. I hope that all of this is doing some good. I don't think that it is helping the Christians much or at all, but I hope that it is giving the rest of us more cause to resent this disease called religion and the damage it does to these people first, and to the rest of us secondarily. It's a real problem that hurts everybody, and taking a lukewarm position against it is not helping anybody. I'm pleased to see the number of people stepping up and saying in one form or another, "What this book teaches is bad, what it teaches is wrong, and those that are in its sway are made worse people for defending bad ideas"

Fennario

#211226 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You spouted all that Christian hate.
I leave that to you. You're doing a great job.

Like Catcher said, I suggest that you get used to intense criticism and learn to deal with it - not just of you for your racism, which really isn't my issue, but also of the church, which is.

Fennario

#211227 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You atheists make me sick.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
You inspire us.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Then you're weak.
Can you tell me how your religion has makes you a better person than you would have been without it, keeping in mind that you would likely have been more like the unbelievers posting here.

Fennario

#211228 Feb 6, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Good thing we have a free market system. He can shop around, get upfront prices, compare services, and make an informed decision that meets his budget.
LOL, I'm about halfway through the Silverman video now. Very affirming. Thanks again.

Fennario

#211229 Feb 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Unlike Republicans that call Democrats unAmerican and traitors. Buck has no problem with that.
I'm sure that you recall the George H. W. Bush quote:“No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”

Have you also seen the billboard calling atheists traitors?
http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/...

But it's the Christians being persecuted by mean old Christian-hating atheists.

Fennario

#211230 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
My honest opinion is that the Bible was inspired by God. Not written, inspired.
I think that Christians say what you did so that they can point to whatever parts of it they want to and say, "God said this or that" while simultaneously being able to say that certain embarrassing parts are the fault of men. But what kind of god allows even one word of human origin to contaminate its word?

Which brings is to this: What evidence is there that a god wrote any of it?

Fennario

#211231 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is no Scripture contradictory to Exodus 21:16.
Nonsense. Your god commands taking various prisoners of war into captivity.

Fennario

#211232 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
My honest opinion is that the Bible was inspired by God. Not written, inspired.
And West Side Story was inspired by Romeo and Juliet. If you want to understand Shakespeare, "inspired by" is not nearly good enough. I would no more go to Broadway to see a play inspired by Romeo and Juliet to learn about Romeo and Juliet than I would go to a bible only inspired by a god to learn anything about that god.

Fennario

#211233 Feb 6, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
there was no "New Testament" at the time the letter was written, and there wouldn't be for a couple more centuries. So it was proto-Cathloics several hundred years later who declared it "scripture". The author himself could only have been referring to Hebrew scripture.
Good point.

Fennario

#211234 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
LMAO!! He checked.... He really spent the time to see if there's more horseshoers than atheists..
Fact checking is what experienced skeptics do. You mock yourself and faith, not people who search for evidence rather than take you at your word.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 min Trojan 32,307
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RealDave 1,402,882
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min cpeter1313 311,484
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr litesong 9,981
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Frankie Rizzo 201,877
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Thu Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web