Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211201 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How's a black woman know she's pregnant?
When she pulls out the tampon and the cotton's already picked.
Just when you think RR's racism can't get any viler.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211202 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what you will.
There is no Scripture contradictory to Exodus 21:16.
I know you went to the googlers about it.
No, I didn't, because as I explained, this verse isn't really relevant.(Additionally, again, kidnapping is not flat out condemned in the bible anyway, as soldiers are told to kidnap people as spoils of war). Anyways, whether or not the bible endorses kidnapping at one point has nothing to do with the fact that it condones slavery.

The point is, it doesn't matter if there are any contradictory verses. You are holding the verse up to mean something other than what it says. It is not a prohibition against slavery per se, and your inference that the bible condemns "bad slavery" (or something) is incorrect. The bible is perfectly fine with slavery, and its "rules" that believers like to hold up as proof of compassionate slavery (or some other such nonsense) do nothing to change that fact. The bible calls foreign slaves property, allows for the enslavement of fellow hebrew men for 7 years, and allows the indefinite slavery of any female, save for a few exceptions (marriage to a male slave for instance).

Location hidden

#211203 Feb 5, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Yet another verse taken out of context to make a dubious point.
The Mosaic Law you cited dealt with the disposition of a Jew by another Jew. This is confirmed by a repetition clarifying the mizvot at Deuteronomy 24:7 - "If someone is caught kidnapping a fellow Israelite and treating or selling them as a slave, the kidnapper must die. You must purge the evil from among you."
As for Gentiles (which itself was a derogatory term) they were fair game, and in fact the Israelites were allowed at certain points in the conquest to take slaves. "Gentile" is a Latin transliteration of a Hebrew word that could mean "non-Jew", but is also used to describe a swarm of insects or animals.
Exactly. Good post.

#211204 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW...this is one time too many.

You have been reported.

Keep it up, and I will continue to report.

Location hidden

#211205 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Love Minchin. Storm was the first of his works that I heard.
Likewise, on both counts.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#211206 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah.
The googlers led you to no contradictory Scripture, either.....
I've stumped you all.
With that, I bid you adieu.
I bet you do.

#211207 Feb 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Most modern critical scholars argue that 2 Timothy was not written by Paul but by an anonymous follower, after Paul's death.
In other words it is a fraud.
Enjoy your religion of lies.
Hardly any of the books of the NT were written by the people whose names are on them. None of the gospels were written by the apostles who are attributed.

Location hidden

#211208 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!!
He checked....
He really spent the time to see if there's more horseshoers than atheists......
o.O
Your stat is screwy.
"Currently, about six percent of the U.S. public calls itself atheist or agnostic"
You can't combine the two. One is either atheist or agnostic, to combine the two represents a false "6%" answer.
I hope this is the last time anyone has to post this.

Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. I am an agnostic atheist, because I don't believe in a god, but I am not sure there aren't any gods. Another example - if you say you are sure there is a god, you are a gnostic theist, because you believe in god and are sure of that position.

Location hidden

#211209 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
2 Timothy wasn't written centuries before Jesus.
It was written after His crucifixion.
Quite a long time after.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211210 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Do you even have a use as to what slavery was back then?
<quoted text>
Lol. Oops.
That should've read: Do you even have an idea as to what slavery was back then?
When on person OWNS another human being, thats slavery. When that person can drive an awl through another persons ear and mark this person as his PROPERTY, thats slavery.

When you are allowed to beat this other person brutally, as long as he doesn't die within a few days, thats slavery.

When you are able to include this person you OWN in your will and you children may then inherit them as THEIR PROPERTY, thats slavery.

Slavery "back then" or now, or tomorrow, or 100 years from now is immoral. Your God fully endorses slavery and the Good and wonderful Jesus, never mentioned slavery as immoral.

I'm sorry you don't see owning another human being as wrong, it speaks volumes for your morals. So defend away you morally bankrupt Christard.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#211211 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW...your opinion on this is just butt stupid. EVERY person working for the government is an employee of the government...including the President. By your interpretation, every one of them could interfere with your right to worship.
Government, as you are interpreting it, is an abstract. An abstract can not take any action, including interfering with your religion. It is the government employees that take the action. This is why the ban applies to government employees.
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Why even bother trying to get through to a dishonest idiot?

Location hidden

#211212 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah.
The googlers led you to no contradictory Scripture, either.....
I've stumped you all.
With that, I bid you adieu.
You're joking, right?

Location hidden

#211213 Feb 5, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, RR is either a complete friggin' moron or just a flat out liar.
He knows that Exodus 21:16 is a prohibition against kidnapping, but he used it to rebut someone's argument about slavery, then got called out for being an idiot, and now is too embarrassed to admit he was wrong.
Typical religious behavior...
Belief is one hell of a drug.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211214 Feb 5, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I hope this is the last time anyone has to post this.
Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. I am an agnostic atheist, because I don't believe in a god, but I am not sure there aren't any gods. Another example - if you say you are sure there is a god, you are a gnostic theist, because you believe in god and are sure of that position.
Agreed.

A pretty good illustration.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Also, either of the two, atheist or agnostic, do not have a - belief - deities exist.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#211215 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rocco, good to see you here!
I see you've met our village idiot, the Redneck.
Thanks, Catch.

But he IS a good speller, just saying..........

..........and I do like his explanation of how long a "poof" is - or isn't.

Location hidden

#211216 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
A pretty good illustration.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
Also, either of the two, atheist or agnostic, do not have a - belief - deities exist.
Clearest illustration I've seen. Fingers crossed (that it does the job).

#211217 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why even bother trying to get through to a dishonest idiot?
It's like a cross between an elephant and a rhinoceros.

Elephino.

No arguments though. He is a dishonest idiot.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211219 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Crass, ignorant racist, I went out of my way to register a complaint against you, I certainly hope your fellow Christians are proud of your ignorant racists behavior. I really had thought out species had outgrown such dehumanizing behavior.

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#211220 Feb 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it was Gov. Cuomo who made the statements.
The invidiousness of his statement is that he defamed people, not just a particular policy view. People who are pro-life, pro-second amendment, and opposed to same-sex marriage,(omitting the governor's straw-man exaggeration of the terms) make up over half the nation's population.
If Cuomo has arguments that diminish the credibility of such people, he should use them, rather than use fallacious and elitist rhetoric to diminish them as human beings.
Further, with tax and regulatory policy in NY being what it is, there is no need for finding new reasons to keep people out, or encourage them to flee.
Hello Buck, how true.... ex-New Yorker here - I heeded Bob Matherson's(R.I.P.) warnings .."Leave NYS before it's too late"
;)

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#211221 Feb 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. That's what is so funny. While this Governor is doing all he can to run people out of the state of New York here in Florida they are buying airtime on local stations wanting people to relocate a business in New York. Good luck with that.
NOooo, yer kiddin',right? In FLORIDA?!....Haha! Ol' Bob must be spinning in high rotation in his grave...

They're running the adds here in Pa. and Maryland as well! All industry I've either worked/consulted for are GONE from "Little Silicon Valley" (Long Island tech parks), and been 'put out to pasture'....

You're right Chris, good luck with that..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min TherealMcDonald n... 1,600,709
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr cpeter1313 317,468
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Into The Night 11,556
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr LMAO phart 34,188
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 14 Hellepsoaio 12
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep 12 Love 292
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 11 Rose of Tralee 201,880
More from around the web