Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#210861 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Creationism has not been unequivocally ruled out. Persecution of the Church was foretold and expected, even before there was a Church. Changing diapers is not a job its a dooty.
Yes it has, there are at least 27 different mathematically valid theories of how this universe was created and not includes goddidt by magic. In fact the goddidt by magic idea is unequivocally ruled out in several distinct ways. Including various aspects of quantum mechanics and at the atomic level.

It’s good to foretell after the event, you can never be wrong that way, the problem comes when you try clairvoyance before the event, then all you have to go on is experience and thousands of years of history.

Try telling that to the minimum wage nursery worker
Bongo

Medford, NY

#210862 Feb 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
If it gives a list of rules for owning slaves, how to treat them, how to sell them, also the indentured servants, without telling anyone that it is wrong to own them, then it is condoning slavery. Not in the old or new testaments is there one word about setting all slaves free because it is immoral to own another human being.
Do you really think slavery is any worse than the millions who crowd the freeways everyday , working jobs they don't necessarily like for less money than they need? Why? So they can eat, pay the mortgage, taxes etc etc? Slavery may have been the best thing that ever happened to Africans. Look where theyre at now. They absolutely dread going back. The Jews were freed from slavery, then they wanted to go back to Egypt. Imagine that. Slavery is a very subjective term. No one is as free as they think. I wont even get into the millions of psychic slaves , which I think you are.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#210863 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the kind of thing that makes my blood boil, and intensifies my resolve to see that church weakened. It hurts people. It's hurting schoolchildren by keeping their worlds smaller and more ignorant, and by impairing their competitiveness in the job market. And it hurts the nation, which is already reeling from problems like an increasingly gullible and incompetent electorate, and too many citizens distrustful of science and unable to understand the climate change problem or the threat it entails.
It's too serious to be polite about, and that is just one front. The church is what it is: a selfish and destructive force that needs to be opposed and weakened.That will come about quickest with the use of forceful, urgent, and indignant language not watered down by concern for who is offended.
I know how much language like this riles the Christians - how evil, god hating and intolerant they see us. But really, we can't afford to care about that under the circumstances. There is no reason why others should treat the church with any more respect than it offers.
It is indifferent to the damage it does, contemptuous of the law and of church-state separation, and of the values of secular society. I'm sure that it is for reasons like these that Hitchens said, "I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right."
It's more than a right. It's a duty.
.. with charter schools, there's a fine line ..

.. many religious schools have converted to charter schools. For instance, in Jewish charter schools, Hebrew is taught. In the Bible Belt, ID enters through the backdoor. Although the focus is on textbooks, teachers reign supreme in the classroom, their influence prevalent ..

.. it's a question of parents' rights -vs- government .guidelines. Who do you think will win ??..
Bongo

Medford, NY

#210864 Feb 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it has, there are at least 27 different mathematically valid theories of how this universe was created and not includes goddidt by magic. In fact the goddidt by magic idea is unequivocally ruled out in several distinct ways. Including various aspects of quantum mechanics and at the atomic level.
It’s good to foretell after the event, you can never be wrong that way, the problem comes when you try clairvoyance before the event, then all you have to go on is experience and thousands of years of history.
Try telling that to the minimum wage nursery worker
Good Morning Chrissy, Man just does not know. The faithfull believe. You said science does not go there. Man is limited, very limited. God has us right where he wants us. You may call it majic, but God knows exactly what hes doing , we don't. He made no fingerprint the same. Everyone meets the mystery, after an approx. 24,000 days .

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210865 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
This is the kind of thing that makes my blood boil, and intensifies my resolve to see that church weakened. It hurts people. It's hurting schoolchildren by keeping their worlds smaller and more ignorant, and by impairing their competitiveness in the job market. And it hurts the nation, which is already reeling from problems like an increasingly gullible and incompetent electorate, and too many citizens distrustful of science and unable to understand the climate change problem or the threat it entails.

It's too serious to be polite about, and that is just one front. The church is what it is: a selfish and destructive force that needs to be opposed and weakened.That will come about quickest with the use of forceful, urgent, and indignant language not watered down by concern for who is offended.

I know how much language like this riles the Christians - how evil, god hating and intolerant they see us. But really, we can't afford to care about that under the circumstances. There is no reason why others should treat the church with any more respect than it offers.

It is indifferent to the damage it does, contemptuous of the law and of church-state separation, and of the values of secular society. I'm sure that it is for reasons like these that Hitchens said, "I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right."

It's more than a right. It's a duty.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Lol, so pathetic. So intolerant.
I'm far from alone. How would you suggest we react?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210866 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And yes, absolutely, your church needs to be stopped and controlled.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Who are you relying on to get that done? It certainly isn't you, you wouldn't even confront the two Jehovah Witnesses that came to your door....
Now you want me to be confrontational? A minute ago, that "pathetic" and "intolerant" to you.

The ones we need to reach are not knocking on our doors with religious tracts. The battle for minds does not include talking with zealots except in a venue like this where other kinds of people can benefit from it.

And yes, it is people like me with opinions like mine expressing themselves a million times a day through the various media like message boards, Facebook pages, email forwards, in the news (governors and mayors), on talk shows (Maher and Stewart), and on YouTube videos that will get the job done.

It doesn't hurt any to have people like you, Duckman, Canada man, the homophobic bakers, Westboro Baptist Church, spokespeople for the Texas school board, Mel Gibson and Pat Robertson chiming in, either.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#210867 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm far from alone. How would you suggest we react?
You are right on cue , as foretold. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Your reactions should help more Christians behave better and adhere to the ideals.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210868 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible doesn't condone slavery, it only lays out a few laws written for the ancient Israelites.
Do you know what condone means? Here's one definition: "accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue." How is that not the precise definition of the bible god's reaction to slavery?

Give it up. The words speak for themselves. All you are doing with this campaign is making faith based thought appear more divorced from reality, not changing minds to your way of thinking. Have you seen any evide ...never mind.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210869 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
It may have been that fear Ds was referring to. Then again, Christians may be the only ones not afraid to die for expressing the Lords will.
Who is "Ds" and what was the fear reference?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210870 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
I always wanted to try on an authentic fez. Ive been sporting a Russian sable all week playing clean up the snow and ice. It would probably be too warm to wear one in Mexico.
It is warm and sunny here. We're expecting a high of 84° today, which is a little hotter than I like it if I'm on foot.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210871 Feb 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
A bit late now, but none the less, may your hats bring you the success you deserve… best of luck
Thank you very kindly. The hats were a hit.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#210872 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Do you really think slavery is any worse than the millions who crowd the freeways everyday , working jobs they don't necessarily like for less money than they need? Why? So they can eat, pay the mortgage, taxes etc etc? Slavery may have been the best thing that ever happened to Africans. Look where theyre at now. They absolutely dread going back. The Jews were freed from slavery, then they wanted to go back to Egypt. Imagine that. Slavery is a very subjective term. No one is as free as they think. I wont even get into the millions of psychic slaves , which I think you are.
That has absolutely nothing to do with whether the bible condones slavery. It does condone it, and as was shown, an indentured servant could become a life long slave if he loved his wife and children more than his own freedom.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210873 Feb 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:

If it gives a list of rules for owning slaves, how to treat them, how to sell them, also the indentured servants, without telling anyone that it is wrong to own them, then it is condoning slavery. Not in the old or new testaments is there one word about setting all slaves free because it is immoral to own another human being.
In Biblical times, slavery was a status more than anything. People would volunteer to be someone's slave to pay off a debt or stave off starvation. Back then, you had people of all sorts that were slaves.

It wasn't about skin color like we've seen slavery the past few centuries.

That kind of slavery the Bible prohibits.

“Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”

-Exodus 21:16.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210874 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Lol, so pathetic. So intolerant.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I'm far from alone. How would you suggest we react?
I know you ain't alone. There's a lot of pathetic, intolerant atheists out there pretending to be compassionate to their fellow humans.

Your compassion for people ends when they don't share your ideals or morals.

Mine doesn't.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210875 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Creationism has not been unequivocally ruled out.
I think it has, at least in the sense of creationism in religious creation stories. They all got it wrong.
Bongo wrote:
Persecution of the Church was foretold and expected, even before there was a Church.
Do you think that that is remarkable or suggests a supernatural prescience? Let me go on record now and predict that any new faction that wants to call others the equivalent of sinners and abominations will be met with resistance.

Plus, you can't really call what the church receives now persecution. Once you've persecuted others, it's just self-preservation.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#210876 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Creationism has not been unequivocally ruled out. Persecution of the Church was foretold and expected, even before there was a Church. Changing diapers is not a job its a dooty.
If anyone or organization treats other people with disdain, persecution will follow, I don't care who you are. No crystal ball needed for that one.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210877 Feb 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
You are the one calling the babble OK, you don’t like the stigma it bestows then you have an option
I've never referred to any babble, sweet cheeks. Only you have.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#210878 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume that you are referring to his and De Blasio's sentiments about extreme conservatives not being welcome in New York. What shocks you about that? I understand why you don't like it, but why are you shocked that he said that people are becoming fed up with "extreme pro-life, anti-gay, pro-assault weapons conservatives"? Because people like mayors and governors have been reluctant to be so outspoken against conservatives in the past?
Such people are extreme, ridiculous, and dangerous - just like the Texans with their textbooks. The times they are a-changing. We may be reaching a tipping point. It's about time.
I believe it was Gov. Cuomo who made the statements.

The invidiousness of his statement is that he defamed people, not just a particular policy view. People who are pro-life, pro-second amendment, and opposed to same-sex marriage,(omitting the governor's straw-man exaggeration of the terms) make up over half the nation's population.

If Cuomo has arguments that diminish the credibility of such people, he should use them, rather than use fallacious and elitist rhetoric to diminish them as human beings.

Further, with tax and regulatory policy in NY being what it is, there is no need for finding new reasons to keep people out, or encourage them to flee.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210879 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Do you know what condone means? Here's one definition: "accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue." How is that not the precise definition of the bible god's reaction to slavery?
Give it up. The words speak for themselves. All you are doing with this campaign is making faith based thought appear more divorced from reality, not changing minds to your way of thinking. Have you seen any evide ...never mind.
The Bible does not condone a Christian to own a slave.

Period.

Prove me wrong, Biblically.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#210880 Feb 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone or organization treats other people with disdain, persecution will follow, I don't care who you are. No crystal ball needed for that one.
Topix atheists regularly treat me with disdain.

So you expect they will be presecuted? When?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 28 min Jenks 1,143,687
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Bruin For Life 28,229
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr John-K 306,589
Pat Summitt files for divorce after 27 years of... (Aug '07) 11 hr Mr bobo 145
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 11 hr Becky 644
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 13 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 2,170
Haas Leads Purdue Past Grambling State, 82-30 Nov 22 ngzcaz 1

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE