Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255972 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#210740 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I sit in comfort knowing that they're wrong and I'm right.
Yes, that's your general attitude.

I pity anybody who has to be around you.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210741 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Not in any place of the Bible, NOT ONE PLACE, does it tell me or any other Christian that slavery or rape is a good thing or that it's the moral and just and Godly thing to do.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Your god orders both
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
True. There are several places in the OT where God orders all the men killed and the women taken as sex slaves. In the NT, it tells slaves to obey their masters. Nowhere does the Bible condemn slavery except to say that your male children could not be sold and that Jews could not own Jews as slaves...but could own slaves from any other country. And I don't recall any passages condemning rape, except to say things like the rapist must pay a fine to the woman's father or that the rapist must then marry his victim. For a God that is supposed to be the ultimate fount of morality, he seems to fall quite short of the mark.
I can hear Riverside Redneck's objection now: That wasn't literal rape or slavery. Plus it protected people - they were better off as slaves. Plus the girls father was well paid in silver - followed by some arcane discussion involving a retranslation of Hebrew using the words "clear" and "simple," a pointing to Jesus saying love one another, and finally, calling us Christian haters that just want to make his religion look evil.

Fennario

#210742 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Many years ago, I was playing an RPG (role playing game) and my character was a man from Texas. His intelligence score was pretty low, so I picked his primary language as "'Murican".
Do you know the word "merkin"? It's a pubic toupee.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definiti...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210743 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you do with the murderers, thieves and rapists?
Send them all to counseling?
LMAO!
That don't work.
WTF???

Fennario

#210744 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Oh, Jeez.
Just saw this quote by Pat Robertson excusing Biblical genocide...
"Assuming you have a culture that has 1,000 really bad people in it — they’re murderers, they’re thieves, they’re rapists, they’re having incest, you name it, they are doing everything horrible — now if they have children, what’s going to happen? Instead of having 1,000, you’ll have maybe 3,000 or 4,000; then — nothing has changed them — then they’ll pass it on to the next generation and the next thing you know you’ve got 10,000 or 20,000 of them and if it keeps on going, you’re going to have a million of them. So what’s the most merciful thing for a loving God to do? It’s to take the thousand and get rid of them. And that’s what He did."
Is he suggesting this method to rid the world of scourges? He should be careful. If non-Christians ever embrace his ethics, he might not like the target they choose.

Was there a huge outcry from the Christian community condemning him for such a repulsive sentiment, and pointing to Jesus' words for guidance, or is that kind if thing reserved only for those of us who call people like Duckman a homophobe?

After all, Jesus and the bible teach love, do they not?

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#210745 Feb 4, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
first time on this forum but thank you for noticing me.
what a tool
When the robots come on the thread, you cant tell them apart. You are all the same, spouting all these same questions, answering none, just repeat, repeat ad nauseam. We just white sheet you.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210746 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
Do you know the word "merkin"? It's a pubic toupee.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definiti...
Kinda the opposite of a Brazil wax?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#210747 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I can hear Riverside Redneck's objection now: That wasn't literal rape or slavery. Plus it protected people - they were better off as slaves. Plus the girls father was well paid in silver - followed by some arcane discussion involving a retranslation of Hebrew using the words "clear" and "simple," a pointing to Jesus saying love one another, and finally, calling us Christian haters that just want to make his religion look evil.
His tact with me on the subject of slavery, was that they were "servants" not slaves. When I pined him down on this issue of the bible stating how much one should pay for a slave, how long they could be kept, the fact that they could be left as an inheritance, meaning a "lifetime of slavery, and how they were marked as property, an awl through the ear, being desperate he found fault with the "translation" in the KJB. He apparently knew more than the biblical scholars. When backed into a corner, his desperation rises to the surface, it's actually very entertaining to watch how he does the Christian dance of the fools. Too Funny!!!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#210748 Feb 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant
The hypocrisy (or outright lies) of some of these godbots is absolutely mind blowing
Your mind could be blown by the exhale of a piss ant.

Fennario

#210749 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm being very clear, so are you. "Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong."
Those are your moral absolutes. By that, I mean that you think your ethical views are absolutely right or wrong.
No, you are not being clear. I still don't know what you mean by that. What would be the case if those values were subjective or relative values? The answer to that would tell me what the word absolute means to you.

Also, when you say absolute, are you implying that they come from a god like mtimber did? Every time he invoked the phrase, he claimed that it pointed to the supernatural and implied a belief in it. That is the usual meaning of "absolute moral values" to a theist

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#210750 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Intellectual dishonesty. You omitted the bulk of that sentence and made it seem something it's not.
I get it. You & Hank don't like Christians.
And you are surprised about that?

Location hidden

#210751 Feb 4, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!
I got that.:)
This thread would move a lot faster if you relics would stop alluding to crap I have to google to know wtf yer yapping about.

Location hidden

#210752 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not wrong.
You said;
"Can you find any definition in any dictionary that would allow us to properly call someone who neither provided the sperm nor help raise a child its father?"
http://m.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/TUG...
I subsequently gave you 14 alternative definitions.
You didn't like it and now try to pretend it didn't happen.
That's not very honest of you.
C'mon! When did honesty ever serve his purpose?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#210753 Feb 4, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
When the robots come on the thread, you cant tell them apart. You are all the same, spouting all these same questions, answering none, just repeat, repeat ad nauseam. We just white sheet you.
Tell that to Just Think. She thinks I'm the same person that has been on here but under a different name. Dumb dumb huh?

Location hidden

#210754 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
Is he suggesting this method to rid the world of scourges? He should be careful. If non-Christians ever embrace his ethics, he might not like the target they choose.
Was there a huge outcry from the Christian community condemning him for such a repulsive sentiment, and pointing to Jesus' words for guidance, or is that kind if thing reserved only for those of us who call people like Duckman a homophobe?
After all, Jesus and the bible teach love, do they not?
"Jesus" never encouraged genocide, that was the OT's barbaric theme.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210755 Feb 4, 2014
It's not just that you want to make Christianity look evil.

You're obsessed with it.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#210756 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Oh, Jeez.
Just saw this quote by Pat Robertson excusing Biblical genocide...
"Assuming you have a culture that has 1,000 really bad people in it — they’re murderers, they’re thieves, they’re rapists, they’re having incest, you name it, they are doing everything horrible — now if they have children, what’s going to happen? Instead of having 1,000, you’ll have maybe 3,000 or 4,000; then — nothing has changed them — then they’ll pass it on to the next generation and the next thing you know you’ve got 10,000 or 20,000 of them and if it keeps on going, you’re going to have a million of them. So what’s the most merciful thing for a loving God to do? It’s to take the thousand and get rid of them. And that’s what He did."
Justifying genocide?

Only in Christianity.

Pat Robertson should be arrested for supporting hate crimes and terrorism.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210757 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
WTF???
What?

Location hidden

#210758 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
The Texas State Board of Education revised its standard of picking textbooks...
"Among the changes approved Friday was a mandate that teachers or professors be given priority for serving on the textbook review panels for subjects in their areas of expertise. They also enable the board to appoint outside experts to check objections raised by review panels and ensure they are based on fact, not ideology."
One board member stated his concern that Christians are being persecuted...
"[Bradley] said he did his best to insert language mitigating what was approved. But he said “liberals are really trying to make it difficult for Christians and conservatives to have a voice in public education.”"
Right.

So religion is what is making Texas students rate so low, academically,...

http://www.wtamu.edu/academics/college-ag-sci...

...compared to other states?

Try again.

"Being" atheist OR Christian has nothing to do with intelligence. Both ideologies have about the same stupid-to-smart ratio among their membership. Losing religion won't make a dumb kid suddenly smart.

And....I have yet to see any religion being taught in a public classroom.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210759 Feb 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>His tact with me on the subject of slavery, was that they were "servants" not slaves. When I pined him down on this issue of the bible stating how much one should pay for a slave, how long they could be kept, the fact that they could be left as an inheritance, meaning a "lifetime of slavery, and how they were marked as property, an awl through the ear, being desperate he found fault with the "translation" in the KJB. He apparently knew more than the biblical scholars. When backed into a corner, his desperation rises to the surface, it's actually very entertaining to watch how he does the Christian dance of the fools. Too Funny!!!
You remember that debate very differently than I.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Julia 1,404,244
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 hr Brian_G 311,489
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr litesong 9,989
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 22 hr NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 23 Trojan 32,307
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web