Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258479 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

ROCCO

Indio, CA

#210296 Feb 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
So you see humanist and Jew as mutually exclusive categories, like competing religions? The two mutually exclusive categories are faith based thinking and evidence based thinking. That's the contest here: which has benefited mankind, which has made life longer, safer, more comfortable, and more convenient, and which has contributed wrong ideas and fostered tribalistic behavior.
The polio vaccine is a triumph of reason and evidence over faith, which would have you recognize polio as the god's righteous wrath which must be endured without complaint, or maybe to smear pigeon blood on yourself and pray. I don't care if Salk and Sabin were Jews. Science is the triumph of man over the elements. Humanism celebrates and serves humanity, not gods.
It shouldn't go unacknowledged that countless pigeons owe their lives to polio vaccine.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#210297 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No.

You not lie and state that Humanists gave us a vaccine for polio.
You do understand that humanists are not necessarily atheist.

Of course you do.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210298 Feb 2, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
However, there are those that reject your magic mud theory right?
I thought it was you guys that have the magic mud theory.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210299 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Lol.

I just gave out statistics, like these:

I don't know what they gravitate to crime so much, but they DO.
I know that blacks are twice as likely to have a prison sentence than whites.
I know that blacks are more than twice as likely to have been in prison than in the military.
I know that over 10% of blacks in prison have a college degree.

Where's the white supremacy? Where do I make the claim that the white race is the supreme race?

In fact, where's the racism there?!

Go.
Gee.

Could it be that blacks are targeted for incarceration?

No. That couldn't possibly be it.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210303 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It's Genesis 1:24, dude. It's Biblical.

Then God said, "Let the earth produce every sort of animal, each producing offspring of the same kind--livestock, small animals that scurry along the ground, and wild animals." And it was so.

Aside from the God part, isn't that what you think happened too?

Camels have a gestation period of 14 months.

Elephants are 22 months.

Sharks can be up to 42 months of gestation.

None of that could've happened in 24 hours.

I know you've made camp with the Creationists, but you're both wrong.
I really wish you had a clue how absolutely foolish you sound.

If god were real, even he would be embarrassed for you.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210304 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just going off of what Genesis says.

It says God said "Let there be light", and there was light (God *poofed* it).

It says God said "let dry ground appear", and there was dry ground (another *poof*).

It says "Let the earth produce vegetation" (no *poof*).

It says " “Let the earth produce living creatures" (again, no *poof*).

From a naturalistic and evolutionary standpoint, you believe all life came from the earth in one way or another.

The Bible agrees with you on that. Notice that Genesis doesn't say "God said, let there be animals", no. It says " “Let the earth produce living creatures..."
So god is only a partial poofer.

Okely-dokely, riverino.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210305 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It's a racist joke, nothing more.

Oprah DOES have black holes....

Or maybe purple, I don't know...
Well...it's a good thing you're not racist, because when racists tell racist jokes, that's bad. Real bad.

But as long as you're not racist, it's okely-dokely, riverino.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210306 Feb 2, 2014
That's not a foundational concept in Christian ethics. Submission to whatever one thinks is the will of the deity is. If one can be convinced that what you or I would consider harmful is the will of the deity, that becomes a moral truth. Thus, there is little interest in whatever harm homophobic doctrine, for example, does to people. All one needs to know is that the deity considers it an abomination, and submit to that standard. How much interest did you see in what is being done to gay people during the recent discussion of the topic in this thread? I saw none, just a continual reassertion that homosexuality is a sin. That was the entire ethical analysis. "Do no harm," your bedrock ethical virtue, never entered into their ethical calculus.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Then you employed intellectual dishonesty.
We've talked a lot about homosexuality is a sin. We've also added, with this new emphasis, BUT SO IS ANY EXTRAMARITAL SEX. They are all equal sins in the eyes of God.
How is that a rebuttal to my claim that your ethics are not grounded in not hurting people, but in obedience to your god? I was pointing out that your moral philosophy based in the concept of sin and retribution is radically different from humanist ethics, which is rooted in compassion. I think one can see the relative merits of each.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210307 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Try to watch this without drooling.

&sn s=em

You're welcome.

Location hidden

#210308 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RR isn't a Topix Atheist!
That's why.
Have any Topix Atheists! knocked me for my beliefs?

I don't recall that ever happening.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210309 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What is it you think I've reinterpreted?
What your bible says clearly and simply.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210310 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>They are clear and simple.

I find it odd that a smart fella like you is having such a hard time with it.
Yeah, IANS.

It is, except when it's not.

Doesn't get any simpler than that.

And Ar Ar is the one to ask.

Jeez, IANS.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210311 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Those beliefs have been around longer than you think.

Philo believed the days in Genesis weren't 24 hour periods. He died about 15 years after Jesus.

I has been believed for a very long time.

You know what else Philo knew?

People like you Topix Atheists! exist looong ago, too....

"For some men, admiring the world itself rather than the Creator of the world, have represented it as existing without any maker, and eternal; and as impiously as falsely have represented God as existing in a state of complete inactivity"
And they're the ones who took the time to figure out how the world ACTUALLY worked, because they realized that if there was a god, it WAS completely inactive.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210312 Feb 2, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>So I take it you are just interested in mocking the Christian and their view. You no desire for serious discussion about the evidence or lack there of.
Is mock a fundamentalist of any religion, but all we've got to work with here are you Christians.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#210313 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at me. Do it. You know you want to.
It isn't about reformulated beliefs, it's about a better understanding of what the Bible says.
The claim was made that all Christians believed in the 144 hour creation event until 250 years ago.
I have since shut that down.
Did you learn something?
This is what I actually said.
scaritual wrote:
Until about 250 years ago, all Abrahamic faiths accepted the flood, the seven day creation etc..., as definitely real. Christians, too.

That certain individuals within Christianity, or the competing belief sets within the Abrahamic faiths, felt otherwise, does not negate the prevailing doctrine within those faiths at the time.

In having said that...

What I've learned over the years, is that when people are presented new view points, and this is true of centuries ago as well, they will often embrace those views because they are logical, make sense, and appeal to reason.

In this case, Philo is no different than you, and you nor Philo are or were all Christians.

I can't or won't make allowances for each individual "belief set" that an individual may or may not have within a religious belief or practice. I've said this on numerous occasions.

The only "Real Christian™" that exists is the one you happen to be talking to,*at that moment*. Just ask them, and they'll tell you who is or isn't a "Real Christian™" or does or doesn't believe what a "Real Christian™" is supposed to believe, and they'll tell you.

So, that you are that you or someone else was or are at variance with what was the commonly accepted doctrine of the time, or currently, isn't the issue.

I stand by what I stated earlier. Until about 250 years ago, all Abrahamic faiths accepted the flood, the seven day creation etc..., as definitely real. Christians, too.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210314 Feb 2, 2014

How is that a rebuttal to my claim that your ethics are not grounded in not hurting people, but in obedience to your god?
Being obedient to God would mean not hurting people.

IE; Jesus' Golden Rule.

So our ethics ARE grounded in not hurting people.

Those that do harm are selfish pricks.
I was pointing out that your moral philosophy based in the concept of sin and retribution is radically different from humanist ethics, which is rooted in compassion. I think one can see the relative merits of each.
I see the merit of Humanism as exactly that - compassion. But when and how does that compassion manifest for you?

I see the merits of Christianity, knowing sin in particular, as having a clear knowledge of right and wrong. I don't see that coming from Humanism, do you?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210315 Feb 2, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Have any Topix Atheists! knocked me for my beliefs?
I don't recall that ever happening.
Of course they won't, y'all share the same beliefs.

They only knock Christian beliefs.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210316 Feb 2, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:

And they're the ones who took the time to figure out how the world ACTUALLY worked, because they realized that if there was a god, it WAS completely inactive.
Hey, what's that over there ---------->?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210317 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Reject?!? Who said anything about reject?

I accept the creation account.

Philo did too.

What are you talking about rejection for?
Do you have an annotated bible that specifies the poof/no poof sections?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210318 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Back in the dinosaur's day, I bet the sky was a beautiful blue.

Oops. Now you're gonna think that I mean the dinosaurs existed for 24 hours....

---

We say down for our evening meal and bowed put heads.

Uh-oh. Now you're gonna think that I ate precisely at sunset.....

---

This morning, I had pancakes.

Oh no. Now you're gonna assume that I had pancakes precisely at sunrise.

---

You see , even in English, "day", "evening" and "morning" have multiple meanings.

Open your eyes. Get out of the Creationist camp.
Your desperation is showing again.

You really should cover that up in public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min VetnorsGate 1,566,595
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 11 min pro-life for women 315,300
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr YouPharted 33,434
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jul 23 Into The Night 11,293
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web