Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210275 Feb 2, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Racist jokes are racist.
Misogynist jokes are misogynist.
This was a BAD racist and misogynist joke.\
Which makes you both a racist and a misogynist.
M'kay.

I'm gonna keep telling em, though. They're funny as hell. The likes of Carlos Mencia and Pablo Fransisco are my humor-heroes...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210276 Feb 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
So you see humanist and Jew as mutually exclusive categories, like competing religions? The two mutually exclusive categories are faith based thinking and evidence based thinking. That's the contest here: which has benefited mankind, which has made life longer, safer, more comfortable, and more convenient, and which has contributed wrong ideas and fostered tribalistic behavior.
The polio vaccine is a triumph of reason and evidence over faith, which would have you recognize polio as the god's righteous wrath which must be endured without complaint, or maybe to smear pigeon blood on yourself and pray. I don't care if Salk and Sabin were Jews. Science is the triumph of man over the elements. Humanism celebrates and serves humanity, not gods.
Christians are humans too, IANS. We also serve humanity.

But we do it without the ego and vanity of the Humanists.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210277 Feb 2, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You considered knocking me for these beliefs?
But you won't?
I wonder why.
RR isn't a Topix Atheist!

That's why.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210278 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Sins are good. I especially like the extramarital homosexual sex sin. Thank you God.
LOL

WTF is wrong with you?

You know what? Never mind.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210279 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
On the very next page of that link you provided, I was again accused of racism.
---
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Well, like I said I can't make it any clearer to you.
Maybe if I told you in Japan talk...
bing dong wang lim Ning wang wing bu bu
Lacez wrote:
And there you are being racist again.
---
But the person I posted that to got the joke:
---
Hidingfromyou wrote:
kimi ha unko. sore dake. unko.
---
Ain't my fault y'all ain't got no funny bones.
You can't change how you're perceived by calling it a joke. Nobody's laughing but you.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210281 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
That's not a foundational concept in Christian ethics. Submission to whatever one thinks is the will of the deity is.
If one can be convinced that what you or I would consider harmful is the will of the deity, that becomes a moral truth. Thus, there is little interest in whatever harm homophobic doctrine, for example, does to people. All one needs to know is that the deity considers it an abomination, and submit to that standard.
How much interest did you see in what is being done to gay people during the recent discussion of the topic in this thread? I saw none, just a continual reassertion that homosexuality is a sin. That was the entire ethical analysis. "Do no harm," your bedrock ethical virtue, never entered into their ethical calculus.
I agree.

Making "Obey" the basis of your morality is a huge error in my book. "Obey" opens the door to all sorts of abuses. It takes your moral decisions and puts them in the hands of another. It is far better, IMHO, to UNDERSTAND the moral issues, and to have developed your own moral code based on careful, reasoned thought.

But the fundamentalist we see here are not known for their careful, reasoned thought.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210282 Feb 2, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Appealing to reformulated beliefs, made in response to logic and reason presented by others - outside of the Christian beliefs - that caused the forefathers of your religious beliefs to question their religious book, at that time doesn't help your point.
It just reinforces what was stated in my previous post.
<quoted text> Yeah,*see above*.
<quoted text>That he felt he needed to still yet speak out against atheists?
<quoted text> Yeah, were used to it.
Religion; The old ways, they die hard.
Religions and the adherents will come around, slowly, surely, and eventually, like they always do.
Just look at you.
Look at me. Do it. You know you want to.

It isn't about reformulated beliefs, it's about a better understanding of what the Bible says.

The claim was made that all Christians believed in the 144 hour creation event until 250 years ago.

I have since shut that down.

Did you learn something?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210283 Feb 2, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
But a planet can form in a day.
Okely-dokely, riverino.
Ugh...

You Topix Atheist Creationists! are weird.

The days in Genesis are not 24 hour periods.

Let's see if you can wrap your pee-brain around that.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#210284 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.
I just gave out statistics, like these:
I don't know what they gravitate to crime so much, but they DO.
I know that blacks are twice as likely to have a prison sentence than whites.
I know that blacks are more than twice as likely to have been in prison than in the military.
I know that over 10% of blacks in prison have a college degree.
Where's the white supremacy? Where do I make the claim that the white race is the supreme race?
In fact, where's the racism there?!
Go.
All racism is based upon the imagined feeling of supremacy from the person exhibiting racism.

Otherwise it'd be called "evenism" or "we're all the sameism" or some other such phrase, or most likely nothing at all, since racism wouldn't exist, if not for the racist. That's why it exists among racists.

Racism is always based upon the racist feeling that his "race"<(a truly meaningless term) evidences supremacy. The racist doesn't have to mention what he is(or isn't).

He need only to make racist comments.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210285 Feb 2, 2014
More good work from you.
I agree.

I was wrong about Martyr.

But only Martyr.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210286 Feb 2, 2014
You can't change how you're perceived by calling it a joke. Nobody's laughing but you.
I didn't know you were omnipresent.

That changes everything!

#210287 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
Fundamentalists have the most faith. A fundamentalist can believe the bible as written without cognitive dissonance, something Riverside Redneck wasn't willing to do. He allowed reason to contaminate his thinking. He found the literal interpretation of the words unreasonable, and reinterpreted them.
But a died-in-the-wool fundamentalist isn't troubled by such things. He has more faith, which is nothing more or less than the willingness to believe without reason and even despite reason, something that is praised as a virtue by his religious mentors.
One line I really liked from Ivanhoe, when Rebecca is being tried by the Inquisition...

"Reason is the tool of the Devil so that will with doubt our faith."

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#210288 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
Wow! Great work digging that up. Get ready for some back pedaling.
Thanks, and...here...
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

#210289 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
What could be more clear or simple?
"The bible teaches [insert any ending you like]"
Oh so true. If the Bible were the product of a perfect God, there would be no disagreement in what it said. Instead we have 40,000 sects of Christianity, all arguing that it says this or that.

Fennario

#210290 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Genesis 1:24, dude. It's Biblical.
Then God said, "Let the earth produce every sort of animal, each producing offspring of the same kind--livestock, small animals that scurry along the ground, and wild animals." And it was so.
Aside from the God part, isn't that what you think happened too?
Camels have a gestation period of 14 months.
Elephants are 22 months.
Sharks can be up to 42 months of gestation.
None of that could've happened in 24 hours.
I know you've made camp with the Creationists, but you're both wrong.
Where's your faith?

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#210291 Feb 2, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
you for a while and see what intellectual revelations you bring to the conversation to get an idea?
Not sure I am seeing this intellectual dialogue you were posing...
Slosh

<giggles>

Better?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210292 Feb 2, 2014
Through the Wormhole - Did God Create Evolution?

http://youtu.be/GMYr-H70VYo

#210293 Feb 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Genesis 11:5-6 (NASB)
5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.
6 And the LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.
And???

Do you have a point to make?

Do you not realize that the Bible is not an authority to us?

Fennario

#210294 Feb 2, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
I have yet to present a position
We've noticed. Yet you have no problem posting "fail" after other people's.

#210295 Feb 2, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
So I take it you are just interested in mocking the Christian and their view. You no desire for serious discussion about the evidence or lack there of.
I think you are experiencing a case of projection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Stragglers 1,603,023
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr HAAHAHA PHARTs 34,256
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr Freedomofexpression 317,610
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 10 hr Randy from Wooster 201,882
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 19 hr It s Weather Not ... 11,574
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 14 Hellepsoaio 12
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep 12 Love 292
More from around the web