Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256555 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#209790 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have an actual argument to make?
Just stating facts in evidence.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#209791 Feb 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You now resort to lying.
You consider lying absolutely morally wrong?

I don't understand your objection in the light of the atheistic position, after all you have no basis for expecting any conversation to be honest...

As you have a commitment to dishonesty being morally acceptable.

Location hidden

#209792 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>It is a culture which decides what is good or bad...FOR THAT CULTURE.

Neither you nor I have to agree with them.

This is why morals are not absolutes.
We understand that your position validates child molestation.

We get it.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209793 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, now we have it.
In an atheistic universe you cannot appeal to transcendent moral standards so you have to allow others the moral "right" to molest children.
Gawd are you one stupid fellow.

I do not have to grant them a right to molest children. They grant themselves that "right".

However, in my personal morality, they are most assuredly in the wrong, and in fact my morality requires me to stop them. In other words, I would deny them that "right".

In THEIR view, I would be wrong to do so.

You still don't grasp that we each have our own moral code. But that code is not universal and therefore not an absolute.

But then, you think the way you believe...on every single subject...is the way everyone should think. Arrogant, much.

(In the above, I would not deny them the right to THINK molestation is OK, but I would deny them the right to act on it.)

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209794 Feb 1, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I love this one,

What's true for you isn't true for me...

Well, here is my challenge, if I stand in front of a train going 120mph and get hit, I will be dead.

Now if you don't believe the same will happen to you, then by all means...
He's not stupid enough to stand in front of a train going 120 mph.

And you don't believe you would be dead. You believe you'd be in some heaven.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209795 Feb 1, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not believe it is absolutely morally wrong to lie. No one does.

Everyone can provide examples of when they have lied for any number of very good reasons.

As for the rest of your post, simply repeating that "I know" god is real but I'm somehow denying it just makes you look kind of pathetic.
Never answer yes to "Do these pants make me look fat."

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#209796 Feb 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Morality is a product of society and civilization, to be exact there is current society in the civilized world that thinks child molestation is an acceptable behavior.
This is not due to any absolute morality, but due to a consensus of societies within modern civilization. What is morally acceptable and what is not morally acceptable is decided by the greater majority within a society. These axioms came about by the decisions of people living together and the golden rule has a significant meaning here. So what is true here is not that there is a absolute morality, there is what is universally acceptable and unacceptable.
If morality is a product of society and civilization then past societies determined interracial and inter-caste marriages were unacceptable. Pederasty was acceptable. That was their version of morality. If it is societies which determine these things, who are we to say they were wrong?

Location hidden

#209798 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but that is an extraordinary claim. A VERY extraordinary claim.

And, as has been said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

"'Cause my mama said so" is not even evidence, let alone extraordinary evidence.

Put some evidence on the table...or fold.
Your preference to justify child molestation, rather than Gods existence is evidence of the war you are engaged in against Him.

You have to abandon all sense of right and wrong to justify your rejection of Him, just like He explained would happen...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209799 Feb 1, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but it is loads of fun watching mtimber flail about...
Yes. Yes it is.

Location hidden

#209800 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why are you assuming that Ogg cut his foot on a rock?
Do you think it was the banana peel?

Location hidden

#209801 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>And yet you continue to ask these questions that miss the point entirely.

***I*** think child molestation is wrong in every case.

Some people (a few at least) think otherwise.

That these latter people exist shows that this is not a moral absolute. A moral absolute means EVERYONE thinks it is wrong in every case.

And you continue to pound this one point, and just this one point. Your stated position is that ALL morals are absolute. Yet you have failed to show even one.
We get it, you refuse to condemn child molestation as absolutely morally wrong...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209802 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Ah. Then Allah is God.
Got it.
Yes, Allah translates to "god".

So does Dios, Deu, Got, Nkos, Jehova, Dyw and Dew.

Languages are funny things...

Location hidden

#209803 Feb 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Just stating facts in evidence.
No, you are failing to contribute one reasonable argument.

#209804 Feb 1, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I love this one,
Well, here is my challenge, if I stand in front of a train going 120mph and get hit, I will be dead.
BTW...Why have you posted under so many screen names in the past?

Yes, what is "true" for you is not always "true" for me.

For you, Christianity is absolute truth. For me, it is sheer poppycock.

Game
Set
Match

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209805 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
God and Yahweh are the same being.
It's just "god" in different languages.
Tide with Beach wrote:
No, YHWH is a name. It doesn't mean "god" or "deity".
The YHWH character shared space with other deities that had their own names.
Did I say "YHWH"?

I'm pretty sure I didn't...

Location hidden

#209806 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Gawd are you one stupid fellow.

I do not have to grant them a right to molest children. They grant themselves that "right".

However, in my personal morality, they are most assuredly in the wrong, and in fact my morality requires me to stop them. In other words, I would deny them that "right".

In THEIR view, I would be wrong to do so.

You still don't grasp that we each have our own moral code. But that code is not universal and therefore not an absolute.

But then, you think the way you believe...on every single subject...is the way everyone should think. Arrogant, much.

(In the above, I would not deny them the right to THINK molestation is OK, but I would deny them the right to act on it.)
Why would you stop them?

Do you think your morality is superior?

What are you measuring it against, what standard are you using to determine that your moral position gives you the right to stop them exercising theirs?

Sounds like you are returning to reality, the Christian reality where all sexual immorality is condemned.

#209807 Feb 1, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I love this one,
BTW...you are making the same logical error that mtimberhas been making. You think that one case proves it for all cases. Wrong.

Location hidden

#209808 Feb 1, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>If morality is a product of society and civilization then past societies determined interracial and inter-caste marriages were unacceptable. Pederasty was acceptable. That was their version of morality. If it is societies which determine these things, who are we to say they were wrong?
You will notice the atheists will also try to attack Israel's societal moral standard at every opportunity.

Another contradiction.

Atheists are squatters in Gods garden, arguing that it is their garden, without displaying any deeds of ownership.

Location hidden

#209809 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>BTW...Why have you posted under so many screen names in the past?

Yes, what is "true" for you is not always "true" for me.

For you, Christianity is absolute truth. For me, it is sheer poppycock.

Game
Set
Match
Yes, Christianity condemns child molestation absolutely, that is such an immoral position to resist isn't it?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#209810 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You consider lying absolutely morally wrong?
I don't understand your objection in the light of the atheistic position, after all you have no basis for expecting any conversation to be honest...
As you have a commitment to dishonesty being morally acceptable.
Not only are you a liar , you're also full of sht.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min SOS 1,418,784
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Brian_G 311,622
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr BFL 32,329
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 17 hr Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web