Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256558 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#209462 Jan 31, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know? You're only guessing that it was a god that touched you and not a fairy. You didn't actually see it, did you? And even if you did, how would you know the difference? By the size? By whether it hovered like a cloud or flitted about like a moth?
It is like watching "Finding Bigfoot". LOL

"I heard a noise in the woods! I know it was Bigfoot."

or the silliest:

"Bigfoots can mimic other animals. If you hear a wolf howl it is probably a Bigfoot."

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#209463 Jan 31, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There's only one Zeus.
Would that be the Zeus in the Greek NT ?

<smile>

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209464 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the "We think it's happening there so it must have happened here" theory.
That's supposition at its finest.
Supposition isn't fact.
<quoted text>
Nope. They'd have to create the perfect environment with the perfect amount of materials in that perfect environment.
"Created" being the key word....
Yes, that is often how science is done. One of its assumptions is that the way things work here is the way it works everywhere in the universe. The formation of Earth from a collapsing interstellar cloud follows, since we DO see it happening elsewhere.

Or are you going to argue that things work differently here on Earth than they do in the rest of the galaxy.

You are too caught up in this word "created". In the case of abiogenesis "produced" works just as well, and doesn't carry all the baggage you put into it.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#209465 Jan 31, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case, the Bible is just the name of a book.
You act as if calling it "the Bible" somehow makes it special.
RR thinks that calling his god "God" makes it special too. He's funny that way.

He does, however, love his dog "Dog" and his horse "Horse" so he can't be all bad.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#209466 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand what "mocking" means?
You said there was more evidence for fairies than for God. I asked you for some evidence. You posted a cartoon drawing of some Disney characters.
I mocked you by posting a painting of God.
Dumb ass.
In other words, you proved there is the exact same amount of evidence for the existence of fairies and gods.

Bravo!

#209467 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never once stated that because scientists haven't created life in a lab proves it can't be done. I've only stated that they haven't created life in a lad. You added in the rest.
I have never stated that I expect scientists to have already created life.
Who's brain is broken? You wanna argue about things I haven't said.
But you did argue that since scientists have not yet demonstrated abiogenesis that proved abiogenesis is very unlikely. So while my statement might have been hyperbole, it wasn't far off the track.

#209468 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the "We think it's happening there so it must have happened here" theory.
That's supposition at its finest.
Supposition isn't fact.
<quoted text>
Nope. They'd have to create the perfect environment with the perfect amount of materials in that perfect environment.
"Created" being the key word....
BTW,,,If humans DO replicate abiogenesis, doesn't that prove your god is not necessary for life to exist? Would that leave one less gap for your God-of-the-Gaps to hide in?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#209469 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree that Christianity is based on fear, I think it's the opposite.
John writes: "Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love."
I agree with that, since fear and love are incompatible with each other. Christianity teaches how to recognize, to understand how dangerous it can be and how to provide a spiritual response to them.
.. this is what you believe and I can respect that ..

.. however, the Bible is clear: Fear God ..

.. and, the portrait of hell? Isn't that something to fear ??..

.. after you investigate modern Christianity in Africa, the fear message being dispersed, I'll be glad to reconsider my opinion ..

.. until then, I stand by my words: all religion is based on fear and opposed to freedom ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209470 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I have never once stated that because scientists haven't created life in a lab proves it can't be done. I've only stated that they haven't created life in a lad. You added in the rest.
I have never stated that I expect scientists to have already created life.
Who's brain is broken? You wanna argue about things I haven't said.
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I don't think anyone is trying to create life in a lad. Ew.
You acknowledged nothing I said.

Your concession is noted and accepted.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209471 Jan 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
RR thinks that calling his god "God" makes it special too. He's funny that way.
He does, however, love his dog "Dog" and his horse "Horse" so he can't be all bad.
I had a friend that named his dog "Deeohgee".(D.O.G.)

Funny name.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#209472 Jan 31, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I can remember the first exposure I had with Christianity. I was about 5, and my grandfather scared the living shit out of me tell me about Hell.
Yes, Christianity is about fear. The threat of Hell is one of their main selling points.
.. historically, when converting Pagans, Christianity relied on much more than hell ..

.. in some Pagan European countries, the oak tree was considered sacred, something to be worshiped and feared. Christian Missionaries placed crosses in oak trees to enforce the correlation between Jesus, fear and worship ..

.. in Africa today, missionaries are blending cultural traditions to create fear and effect conversion ..

.. is it any wonder I think all religion is based on fear? If you ask a Christian, "Why fear God," what answer do you receive ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209473 Jan 31, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Yes, that is often how science is done. One of its assumptions is that the way things work here is the way it works everywhere in the universe. The formation of Earth from a collapsing interstellar cloud follows, since we DO see it happening elsewhere.
Or are you going to argue that things work differently here on Earth than they do in the rest of the galaxy.
Yes, I know. That's what I've been saying all along, that our "knowledge" of the early earth is supposition.

Thanks for your help.
You are too caught up in this word "created". In the case of abiogenesis "produced" works just as well, and doesn't carry all the baggage you put into it.
Fine, then let's use that word instead.

If scientists ever produce life in a lab, all they're doing is proving that life needs to BE produced and the perfect conditions the Producer needs to make for it to happen.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209474 Jan 31, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. this is what you believe and I can respect that ..
.. however, the Bible is clear: Fear God ..
.. and, the portrait of hell? Isn't that something to fear ??..
.. after you investigate modern Christianity in Africa, the fear message being dispersed, I'll be glad to reconsider my opinion ..
.. until then, I stand by my words: all religion is based on fear and opposed to freedom ..
That is your opinion and I respect that.

But I disagree.

To paraphrase what I just wrote; "God is love. There is no fear in love".

To teach Christianity through fear is an ignorant and wrong approach to it. Christianity is supposed to be taught through love and compassion.

The ignoramuses in Africa are teaching it wrong.

RR has spoken. So let it be written. So let it be done.

#209475 Jan 31, 2014
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."

--House

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/upl...

#209476 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You acknowledged nothing I said.
Your concession is noted and accepted.
I believe I did address this in a second post.

Do I get an apology?

#209477 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know. That's what I've been saying all along, that our "knowledge" of the early earth is supposition.
Thanks for your help.
The way you state this, the words you use, implies it to be very unlikely though possible.

It however appears very likely. So likely as to be almost certain.

So you consider gravity to be supposition?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, then let's use that word instead.
If scientists ever produce life in a lab, all they're doing is proving that life needs to BE produced and the perfect conditions the Producer needs to make for it to happen.
<facepalm>

Religion has ruined your brain.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209478 Jan 31, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
The way you state this, the words you use, implies it to be very unlikely though possible.
It however appears very likely. So likely as to be almost certain.
So you consider gravity to be supposition?
-- possible turns into likely turns into almost certain --

How the what the?!?

In any case, you'll have to take this up with your fellow Topix Atheist! genius buddies, ChrisM and BL. They both think that we know for certain...
<facepalm>
Religion has ruined your brain.
Why do you keep smacking yourself in the face?

Sadist much?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209479 Jan 31, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe I did address this in a second post.
Do I get an apology?
You did.

I apologize.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#209480 Jan 31, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Christians are crazy like a fox ol battyboy. In the end, which is only an average of 25,000 days on earth, a mere blip in eternity, Every person better have a propitiation. If you don't, its foreboding. No other religion has one. muslims jews hindus and anything man conjured up are judged by the law Just think, you spend a third of your life sleeping, a third working, Nearly a third 2 young or old to do anything, a person spends 6 months of their life shaving. How much time is spent commuting to a job a person doesn't even like? Life is quite short, eternal life, well , you get that in one form another. Whether you like it or not.
Ooooooo....

So scary.

I'll start believing right away.

K?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#209481 Jan 31, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Have you considered that your anti religiousness is a mental defect, since its all in your mind , and you may need medical intervention so you can get on with whats left of your life unemcumbered by strife and endless polemics.
Have you ever considered that your belief is a mental defect?

You should.

You really should.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min USAsince1680 1,418,995
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr ThomasA 311,623
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr BFL 32,329
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 23 hr Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web