Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#208803 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your position?
If morality is a consensus of society then Hitler was justified.
Oh? Seems most of the world disagreed with Hitler. And Hitler lost that argument.

Even a lot of Germans didn't agree with Hitler. They were just too afraid to speak out.

And what part of "don't harm others" do you not understand? Apparently not much.

#208804 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument fails because you have already claimed omniscience...
Where? Please quote where I claimed omniscience.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#208805 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In no way, shape or form would any scientist agree with you and blacklagoon that DNA didn't exist before it was discovered.
It's one one the stupidest Topix Atheist! comments I've ever seen.
"AS FAR AS SCIENCE IS CONCERNED", DNA has existed for millions of years.
Long before it was discovered, it existed.
I thought that would get you obnoxious incredulity going and is a great indicator of what I was saying about your misrepresentation, misinterpretation and deliberate misunderstanding however was NOT what I said, I did say and I quote

“How can the existence of something be known before it is known to exist? It is rather paradoxical is it not?”

Note the known…

What you appear to be saying is that science is clairvoyant and what I was actually saying was that the “knowledge of its existence” was not known before it was known to exist.

And there is not a scientist in the world that would not agree that the “knowledge” of its existence did not exist before Watson and Crick discovered it in 1953

#208806 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing the point, to evolve morally means a destination. A destination requires a standard...
Where do you get this standard from?
Evolution (of any sort) does not require a destination. Evolution merely means change.

As for a standard, we are constantly changing our standard as our understanding increases.

Why does there have to be a standard that we do not make for ourselves?

You are using unstated assumptions here. Ones I do not agree with.

#208807 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, if morals are not absolute then child molestation is ok??
Again, what part of "do not harm others" do you not get?

Your concept of morality seems to be very flawed, and not at all moral IMHO.

#208808 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have failed to provide a basis for your morality, so your question has no meaning.
Again you fail to get "don't harm others". Are these words going in one ear and out the other?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208809 Jan 29, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
You and by extension other pro homosexuals keep attempting to link legal SSM with civil rights of Blacks. You have no choice but to stipulate it.
I don't think stipulate is the word you want here.

By the way, if people like me are pro-homosexual, what does that make people like you?
lightbeamrider wrote:
That is lame lame.Com paring sodomy with prayer because they are both behaviors when the former spreads incurable disease especially hit young men.
You seem to like to dictate what other people can think or compare. That must be frustrating.

Your inability to see the similarities between two things doesn't invalidate my observations. You are a man of faith, which limits what you can see.

Finally, many of us consider faith based thought a kind of disease - an infection of the reasoning faculty if you will. You may find that offensive, and I apologize if you do, but it remains the case that many people see it that way nevertheless:

From "Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness" at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/kath... :

"An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

“Someone who has for example become radicalised to a cult ideology -- we might stop seeing that as a personal choice that they have chosen as a result of pure free will and may start treating it as some kind of mental disturbance," Taylor said.“In many ways it could be a very positive thing because there are no doubt beliefs in our society that do a heck of a lot of damage."

It must be terrible seeing the kind of language that you are accustomed to seeing used to describe church outsiders now being used to describe faith itself. It probably doesn't seem fair.

Fennario

#208810 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Batman doesn't care about us.
Where is your evidence for that? You certainly won't convince somebody with faith that Batman loves us that he doesn't with or without evidence. Just try sometime.

Fennario

#208811 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Faith is really just trust or confidence in something.
You make the word useless when you use it like that.

Fennario

#208812 Jan 29, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
What would you feel showed God did care?
The absence of preventable pain and suffering.

I still don't understand why a good god would need to build a hell, or why it would unleash a master demon on our universe that it rejected in heaven. Why not flood and drown it like it did mankind and most animal life - or whatever it takes to kill such a thing?

Also, giving us reason, a holy book full of errors, and a planet full of fossils is a little suspect.
Skombolis wrote:
And who do you feel would be to blame between man and God (assuming God exists) if there are enough resources to feed and house everybody in the world but those resources are disproportionately spread out in part due to the wealth and power of some?
Which has the power to do something about that? I don't. I blame everybody that can right that wrong but won't, which has to include an omnipotent god. That's fair, isn't it?

#208813 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No you didn't.
You said the Catholic Church accepts Darwinism.
Those are your words, Chrissy. Own them.
Firstly and for the benefit of buck, Darwinism is not atheism, Darwinism is not materialism, Darwinism is - the theory of the evolution of species by natural selection advanced by Charles Darwin. True there are other definitions, all similar but non other than perhaps creation.com , which does not really count in the scheme of things, that claim atheism or materialism in the definition

And I have never (as buck claimed) stated that any pope is atheist. That’s just one of the buck looser rants and bares no resemblance to fact. It’s so funny how whenever he cannot win an argument then he always (ALWAYS) resorts to name calling, misdirection, misrepresentation and/or outright lies. It’s one of the ways I know that he is beaten. What is doubly funny is that you invariable back him up with irrelevance and join in the name calling.

But yes true that I said “the Catholic Church accepts Darwinism.” And following Bucks incredulity attack I introduced the evidence of several catholic edicts (along with multiple links) which included documents written by 3 separate popes.

And finished with the by line I see your archbishop and raise you three popes.

I seem to have won that hand because although buck did his usual irrelevant ranting he was not able to beat 3 popes and had now gone into the lying stage. But feel free to join him I that’s what excites you.

So YES I DID and you need to grow up and live with it….

P.S. I know it gives you great pleasure in trying to p|ss me off but my name is Christine, or you may use my screen name of ChristineM or even a shortened CM. All you are doing is showing your own ignorance by deliberately using a diminutive form of my name. But of course, it’s expected form people like you.

#208814 Jan 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no document saying that, because there is no such document.
The claim that the Pope and the entire Catholic church is atheist is entirely your own assertion.
I admire you for sticking with it.
I provided several links, I have even copied and pasted the relevant passages for your perusal. You of course choose to ignore them because you are ignorant. It’s what you do.

Wrong you frigging butt brain, I do not associate Darwinism with atheism, that’s is all your own doing. You are welcome to make whatever specious associations you wish but the fact remains they are nothing but specious association
Greens - tuf

Australia

#208815 Jan 29, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You might find this of interest. It's the kind of thing that I have liked as both a kid and an adult.
Thursday (January 30th) is a new moon day, but a particularly interesting one. It is very rare for a month to have no new moon in it. February of this year will be such a February:
New moon - January 1, 2014 - 04:15:02 AM
New moon - January 30, 2014 - 02:40:35 PM
New moon - March 1, 2014 - 01:02:41 AM
New moon - March 30, 2014 -11:48:06 AM
February is the only month that can have no new (or no full) moon, since the lunar month ranges from 29 days, 6 hours and 35 minutes to 29 days, 19 hours and 55 minutes, the average being 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes. This means that any month of 30 or 31 days - all of them except February - must contain at least one new moon, and only months of 29 or fewer might not have one.
The only way to miss February is to have new moons just before it starts (January 30th or 31st) and one just after it ends (March 1st or 2nd). When that happens, both January and March get two new moons, as is the case this year.
An even rarer event is having no new moon in a February in a leap year - a 29 day month. For that to occur, the new moons must come late in the day on a January 31st and early in the day of the following March 1st. That won't happen again until 2572
That's interesting, thank you.
:)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208818 Jan 29, 2014
scaritual wrote:
I don't particularly dislike you if that's what you're asking. I think you make atheism look good, for instance. You can't dislike that, no matter if you are a polytheist.
Awwww..... I like you too, scarscar.

#208819 Jan 29, 2014
_GRIM REAPER_ wrote:
<quoted text> How can you not associate Darwinism with Atheism? I can see the Catholic Church as a bunch of Atheist..All one has to do is read their Doctrine, talk about a cult and brainwashing...it's all about control..
Sorry, but the Catholic church believes in a god. That means it is in no way atheist.

Me thinks you equate "atheism" with "things I don't like", which is really sloppy thinking.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208820 Jan 29, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You seem confused over the difference between proving something is REAL and not being able to explain something that is real. many of your examples can absolutely be explained.
The hottest part of a flame is not at the bottom but near the top or the sides, so the corona being hotter than the surface makes perfect sense.
Birds migrate using the earth magnetic fields along with visual orientation and smells. Birds contain grains of magnetite, a form of iron oxide that can be easily magnetized.
There are many theories as to why we need sleep, it is not totally unexplained.
The long neck of a Giraffe's neck is far from useless, it enables the animal to graze on the higher branches where other grazers can't reach, chalk that up to a great evolutionary adaptation.
Since the Earth was part of the same accretion disk as the sun, it makes sense that we retained portions of the sun.
There are many theories as to how the universe began, as there are as to how life came to be. Abiogenesis is already being experimented with. Amino acids, the building blocks for life have already been created from Chemical mixtures. Science speculated being able to create life from non-living materials, Abiogenesis, within the next decade.
You just vomited 100 guesses.

You've unwittingly helped me demonstrate that many things occur without the knowledge of science.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208821 Jan 29, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Care to name something that is natural but can not be observed.
Dark matter.

Black holes.

Dreams.

Feelings.

Observing a thing's effects is different than observing the thing.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#208822 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Dark matter.

Black holes.

Dreams.

Feelings.

Observing a thing's effects is different than observing the thing.
So you've never had feelings or dreams?

I have, I've also seen black holes, many times.

All things that can be observed, studied and measured.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#208823 Jan 29, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
So you've never had feelings or dreams?
I have, I've also seen black holes, many times.
All things that can be observed, studied and measured.
What are your feelings about dreams of black holes?

#208824 Jan 29, 2014
_GRIM REAPER_ wrote:
<quoted text> How can you not associate Darwinism with Atheism? I can see the Catholic Church as a bunch of Atheist..All one has to do is read their Doctrine, talk about a cult and brainwashing...it's all about control..
Easy, I am not a funnymentalist godbot who assigns philosophically irrelevant meaning to specific words just to big up my belief. And I know and understand the meaning of the words Darwinism and Atheism, seemingly unlike creationists who want the two concepts to be one because it makes their image of the way they think things should be look better

Darwin was not an atheist so why should Darwinism be branded atheist? Why because it suites creationists fundamentalism, no other reason.

Pope Pius XII stated that “there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces”

The soul is irrelevant to evolution,(at lest 3 popes have seen this) and of course there is no scientific or empirical evidence to show that a soul exists anyway.

As for your go at the catholic church, the entire kit and caboodle of religion, all religion, is about control, the god or creed does not matter. However there is no way that the catholic church can be classed as atheist, their entire reason for being is belief in a god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,536,575
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 min Clean air 11,172
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 hr John-K 314,356
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 23 hr The pharts 33,111
Penn State University & State College May 12 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr '17 DelucaKoehn 11
More from around the web