Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Mar 14

Orlando, FL

#1190813 Aug 23, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the US has no choice but to engage and destroy ISIS.....
ISIL's only goal is to engage and destroy us by their own admission. But we're on our own and our military has no real direction and we have no leadership. So I've all but tuned out and hope we somehow land on our feet and survive the next two years.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1190814 Aug 23, 2014
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Eat your stupid(DUHMmy).
George Washington (February 22, 1732 [O.S. February 11, 1731]– December 14, 1799) was the first President of the United States (1789–1797), the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. He presided over the convention that drafted the United States Constitution, which replaced the Articles of Confederation and which remains the supreme law of the land.
Washington was elected President as the unanimous choice of the electors in 1788, and he served two terms in office. He oversaw the creation of a strong, well-financed national government that maintained neutrality in the wars raging in Europe, suppressed rebellion, and won acceptance among Americans of all types. His leadership style established many forms and rituals of government that have been used since, such as using a cabinet system and delivering an inaugural address. Further, the peaceful transition from his presidency to the presidency of John Adams established a tradition that continues into the 21st century. Washington was hailed as "father of his country" even during his lifetime...
"During the presidential election of 1789, he received a vote from every elector to the Electoral College, the only president in American history to be elected by unanimous approval. "
“As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality.”

&#8213; George Washington

unanimous approval. and don't you forget it.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1190815 Aug 23, 2014
Fake Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>Clueless is continuing to worship Obama, after his six year of failed policies... that would be you, daughter. LOL
Funny son.

I don't worship any man.

But apparently you do!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1190816 Aug 23, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
War was declared on western civilization thirteen years ago on September 11.
When Defense Secretary publicly stated that ISIL is “beyond anything that we’ve seen” and poses a greater terrorism threat than Al Qaeda, doing nothing certainly means we have no chance of winning.
Is that something you don't understand or just don't want to understand?
So.... what did iraq have to do with it son?

Orlando, FL

#1190817 Aug 23, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
there are many forms of terrorism.
social terrorism isn't the only bagger game. bagger economic terrorism has actually been put into practice. just look at Kansas or Wisconsin. beheading the economy in those 2 states has put them at risk of never getting out of the hole....until they elect a Democrat as Governor.
You're part of the problem and not the solution. We don't need any more problems. You've helped create enough already.

It's time for you to step back and reassess. You're too close to the problem to think rationally.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1190818 Aug 23, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
social terrorism isn't the only bagger game. bagger economic terrorism has actually been put into practice. just look at Kansas or Wisconsin. beheading the economy in those 2 states has put them at risk of never getting out of the hole....until they elect a Democrat as Governor.
I'd say the witch hunts qualify as terrorism.....
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1190819 Aug 23, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
ISIL's only goal is to engage and destroy us by their own admission. But we're on our own and our military has no real direction and we have no leadership. So I've all but tuned out and hope we somehow land on our feet and survive the next two years.
Well gee whiz son.

You people were clapping and cheering for Assad and Putin in Syria against Obama and America, and NOW you complain about what you've sown?

Reich wing absurdity.... it's off the charts!!!

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1190820 Aug 23, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
How big is California's deficit?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1190821 Aug 23, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You're part of the problem and not the solution. We don't need any more problems. You've helped create enough already.
It's time for you to step back and reassess. You're too close to the problem to think rationally.
oh my. too close to the problem. i guess i should be paying attention to FOX myths. and then i should go out in the world and show everyone how rational i am.

but Carol, i don't like being laughed at. that and everyone would instantly say......FOXbot! and who wants to be attached to that stigma?! hell, even most FOXbots won't admit the watch FOX. though i suppose that's about being called a parrot, parrot.

Orlando, FL

#1190822 Aug 23, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
sure they're peaceful. 200 people can't make much of a ruckus.
and sure it'a joke. just like the impeach Obama petition.
There were more than that at just one of the rallies I attended in Central Florida.

On just one day among the many different days rallies were held across the nation - April 15, 2009 - demonstrations reportedly were held in more than 750 cities.

The number of attendees were in the thousands in some of these rallies.

The tea party movement's goals were - and still are - limiting the size of the federal government, reducing government spending, lowering the national debt and opposing tax increases.

Too scary?

Orlando, FL

#1190823 Aug 23, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>I'd say the witch hunts qualify as terrorism.....
Then tell your liberals pals to stop going on witch hunts.
Patrick

United States

#1190824 Aug 23, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Well gee whiz son.
You people were clapping and cheering for Assad and Putin in Syria against Obama and America, and NOW you complain about what you've sown?
Reich wing absurdity.... it's off the charts!!!
Ironic and Gault criticizing American soldiers risking their lives to take out Bin Lauden,

Orlando, FL

#1190826 Aug 23, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
oh my. too close to the problem. i guess i should be paying attention to FOX myths. and then i should go out in the world and show everyone how rational i am.
but Carol, i don't like being laughed at. that and everyone would instantly say......FOXbot! and who wants to be attached to that stigma?! hell, even most FOXbots won't admit the watch FOX. though i suppose that's about being called a parrot, parrot.
Trust me. You are part of the problem now.

If you can assess Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's public statement that ISIL is “beyond anything that we’ve seen” and poses a greater terrorism threat than Al Qaeda and provide a logical perspective, you might be able to redeem yourself.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1190827 Aug 23, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you equate the "Palestinians" with American Blacks?
To the American Blacks of the Jim Crow era? You betcha.

The Israeli legal system keeps Palestinians within restricted areas JUST AS zoning regulations kept blacks in small, isolated patches of Birmingham.

The Palestinian areas of East Jerusalem often lack municipal amenities or services such as street lighting, paved streets, sidewalks, garbage collection and sewers JUST like the black areas under Jim Crow laws.

Israeli "laws restrict where Palestinians can live, where they can travel, what roads they can travel on, and whether they can live with their spouse in another part of the country. Permits to travel from the West Bank to East Jerusalem for work are tightly controlled and dependent on “good” behavior" JUST AS Jim Crow laws restricted residence, use of public facilities, use of public transport, interracial marriage and other aspects of African American life.

“Administrative detentions” have led to the indefinite incarceration of thousands of Palestinians without trials and the israeli legal system rarely prosecutes settler harassment or violence JUST AS the white-controlled legal system during the Jim Crow era rarely prosecuted white-on-black violence.

The four million or so Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, have no say in the government that in fact controls them. They cannot vote in the israeli elections JUST AS "Blacks in the Jim Crow South had no control over the governments that oppressed them and denied them their share of common resources. The 15th Amendment of 1870 gave blacks the right to vote, but that right was progressively taken away in Southern states following the failure of reconstruction. Discriminatory registration procedures were introduced and were enforced by violence. As late as the 1960s, many counties in the South, even those with black majorities, had no registered black voters. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 finally changed that.

Fact is, israel cannot indefinitely present itself as a law-abiding, humane and democratic state when it denies the human rights of the four million or so Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank JUST AS the United States could not continue to proclaim ourselves as the land of freedom and democracy when its own citizens were being beaten for asserting their freedom and their right to vote.

http://electronicintifada.net/content/jim-cro...

Orlando, FL

#1190828 Aug 23, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
if a black cop shot an unarmed white convenience store robber, the white folks would not be rioting in the streets....
Apparently, 30 businesses are now destroyed in that town, schools have closed down, buses have been shot at and stopped running. The people of that town can't send their children to school, insurance will go up for those businesses, people can't go to work in those businesses and no one will want to rebuild.

No one is talking about the aftermath for the citizens of that town.

Orlando, FL

#1190830 Aug 23, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
“As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality.”
&#8213; George Washington
unanimous approval. and don't you forget it.
Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
George Washington

Orlando, FL

#1190831 Aug 23, 2014
Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
George Washington

Orlando, FL

#1190832 Aug 23, 2014
If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.
George Washington
Fake Teacher

Palm Coast, FL

#1190833 Aug 23, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Funny son.
I don't worship any man.
But apparently you do!
Funny, daughter. You worship Obama on this forum 24/7. Your chickens have obviously come home to roost, and they are all going down the tubes with Obama's failed policies, daughter.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1190834 Aug 23, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
if a black cop shot an unarmed white convenience store robber, the white folks would not be rioting in the streets....
Fact is, rarely do we have rioting when a young black man is killed by a white police officer. Ferguson is different because the poverty rate in Ferguson has doubled since 2000. It was a time bomb ready to go off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 min tom wingo 29,713
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr cpeter1313 309,741
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Insults Are Easier 238,324
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
More from around the web