Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1620103 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1178520 Aug 2, 2014
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
What? The House just passed a Bill the Question should Obama call back the Senate? You sound desperate!!
so they weren't aware of the fact that the Senate had already gone home? they didn't know Obama had already waved the veto pen?

desperation indeed.....they passed a nothing but symbolic bill and you act like they actually did something.

get back to me when they pass a bill that actually means something. like....never?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1178522 Aug 2, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! So please explain.... why is raising rates by the Fed a bad thing?
What Happens to Stocks When the Fed FINALLY Raises Rates?
By Dr. Steve Sjuggerud
Monday, March 10, 2014

"When the Fed raises interest rates, look out!"

That's the conventional wisdom... but is it right?

The truth is, history does NOT agree with the conventional wisdom on this one.

For the truth, let's take a look at what happened the last few times the Federal Reserve significantly raised interest rates...

The Fed raised interest rates from 2004 to 2006. Instead of falling, stocks rose 18% during that time.(They crashed not too long AFTER the Fed STOPPED raising rates.)

The Fed raised interest rates from 1999 to 2000. Once again, instead of falling, stocks rose 10% during that time.(And once again, they crashed not long AFTER the Fed STOPPED raising rates.)

That's the last two cases. The story is similar over the last 30 years... Stocks have consistently managed to go UP during periods of rising interest rates.

The gains were typically nothing special. But importantly, they were not losses.

How could stocks go up when the Fed is "putting the brakes on" the economy?

One simple explanation is that the Fed feels the economy is getting much better... And if the economy is improving, the Fed can bring interest rates back up to normal levels.(A zero-percent interest rate is not normal.)

Right now, the expectations in the market are that the Fed will start raising interest rates around mid-2015. The consensus guess from Wall Street economists is that rates will be around 0.75% at the end of 2015 and around 1.75% at the end of 2016.

If they are right (which is a big "if"), that doesn't sound too bad to me.

Don't get me wrong here...

I am not trying to minimize the situation the U.S. is in. And I am not guaranteeing that the stock market will go up when the Fed raises rates, just because it has over the last 30 years.

All I want you to see is that it is not the end of the world when the Federal Reserve decides to start raising interest rates.

It's possible that investors will interpret it as a positive thing... that the economy is getting back to normal. And investors may continue to send stocks even higher.

Of course, the U.S. government is on an unsustainable path of spending, borrowing, and printing money. The danger is incredible – and a crisis is inevitable.

My point today is, a crisis does not have to start the day the Fed starts to raise interest rates.

Most investors think that day is the beginning of the end. History tells us that it is not... Don't forget that.

Good investing,

Steve
TheIndepentMajor ity

London, KY

#1178523 Aug 2, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
DUH! The two health care workers being returned to the United States for treatment are not going to be sneezing on anyone. GET A CLUE. You are being stupid.
YO moron--

EVERYONE here can read, and they don't need crackhead ozombieTic type commie wanna be wanker dictators like you to "tell" them anything.

You flocking ignorant imbecile.

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#1178524 Aug 2, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Just used to liberals eluding reality - elusion is the act of evading or evasion.
Elusion...illusion...same thing when it comes to the liberal version of reality.
When being wrong is not an option, you'll believe anything to elude reality even if it means believing an illusion.
There. Thanks for allowing me to clear that up.
Carol can't admit she made a mistake? Got it. You're wrong, wrong, wrong, but what the hey,huh. Too many mini strokes and not enough brain matter...
No Surprize

Largo, FL

#1178525 Aug 2, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see you play spellcheck fascist here. I thought that was Leo's job. LOL
I guess after making a complete fool of yourself with Rmoney lies, you need something to feel good about, you little parasite.
Facts are fun, too bad you have none.
It's easier to lie and try to fool woodtick and look stupid, than it is to convince him you are not a retard nuc..

It's the culture...
TSM

El Paso, TX

#1178526 Aug 2, 2014
Again!! It’s in the Liberals/Democrats DNA…Clinton like of response to Rwanda genocide .... Obama’s failure to response to the Iraq genocide of Christians…WHAT’S UP?

“Stop Child Soldiers”

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1178527 Aug 2, 2014
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you need some compassion lessons, Hobbit. The guy's not even running for anything. It's all a tempest in a teapot situation--the kind you off-your-rocker dudes specialize in.
Many people have attempted to close down his hateful Twitter account but he has documented to Twitter that he is a candidate. But, hey Leo always knows everything.

Please, tell Twitter what you claim to know and get the jerks account closed.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1178528 Aug 2, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text>What Happens to Stocks When the Fed FINALLY Raises Rates?
By Dr. Steve Sjuggerud
Monday, March 10, 2014
For the truth, let's take a look at what happened the last few times the Federal Reserve significantly raised interest rates...
The Fed raised interest rates from 2004 to 2006. Instead of falling, stocks rose 18% during that time.(They crashed not too long AFTER the Fed STOPPED raising rates.)
The Fed raised interest rates from 1999 to 2000. Once again, instead of falling, stocks rose 10% during that time.(And once again, they crashed not long AFTER the Fed STOPPED raising rates.)
That's the last two cases. The story is similar over the last 30 years... Stocks have consistently managed to go UP during periods of rising interest rates.
The gains were typically nothing special. But importantly, they were not losses.
One simple explanation is that the Fed feels the economy is getting much better... And if the economy is improving, the Fed can bring interest rates back up to normal levels.(A zero-percent interest rate is not normal.)
Right now, the expectations in the market are that the Fed will start raising interest rates around mid-2015. The consensus guess from Wall Street economists is that rates will be around 0.75% at the end of 2015 and around 1.75% at the end of 2016.
I am not trying to minimize the situation the U.S. is in. And I am not guaranteeing that the stock market will go up when the Fed raises rates, just because it has over the last 30 years.
All I want you to see is that it is not the end of the world when the Federal Reserve decides to start raising interest rates.
It's possible that investors will interpret it as a positive thing... that the economy is getting back to normal. And investors may continue to send stocks even higher.
Of course, the U.S. government is on an unsustainable path of spending, borrowing, and printing money. The danger is incredible – and a crisis is inevitable.
My point today is, a crisis does not have to start the day the Fed starts to raise interest rates.
Most investors think that day is the beginning of the end. History tells us that it is not... Don't forget that.
Good investing,
Steve
That flies in the face of what you've said here for years, moron.

You've been swearing the market will collapse the moment interest rates rise.

Now you post something that disputes your own bullshit.

You really don't have a clue.

“Stop Child Soldiers”

Location hidden

#1178529 Aug 2, 2014
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Carol can't admit she made a mistake? Got it. You're wrong, wrong, wrong, but what the hey,huh. Too many mini strokes and not enough brain matter...
Says the person who totally failed to understand what the other poster stated.

Location hidden

#1178530 Aug 2, 2014
TheIndepentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
YO moron--
EVERYONE here can read, and they don't need crackhead ozombieTic type commie wanna be wanker dictators like you to "tell" them anything.
You flocking ignorant imbecile.
Flo's cooked herself up a new batch of meth!!

She's loaded for bear!!

Location hidden

#1178531 Aug 2, 2014
TSM wrote:
Again!! It’s in the Liberals/Democrats DNA…Clinton like of response to Rwanda genocide .... Obama’s failure to response to the Iraq genocide of Christians…WHAT’S UP?
Before Bush invaded, the Iraqi Christians were safe, had been for centuries.

Saddam ran a secular regime. Bush replaced it with a Shiiite militant regime.

It's all the fault of stupid Bush and idiots like you who supported him.

That would be you.
WAKE UP DEM

Lillington, NC

#1178532 Aug 2, 2014
scirocco wrote:
'An Interesting Thing That's Happened'
Watch Obama Flip-Flop On This Issue Right Before Your Eyes
http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/01/obama-flip-...
Obama is the guy that farts in a room and says who did that ??

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1178533 Aug 2, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text>What Happens to Stocks When the Fed FINALLY Raises Rates?
By Dr. Steve Sjuggerud
Monday, March 10, 2014
Good investing,
Steve
The dot.com bubble crashed the market in 2000.

And rates had nothing to do with the financial collapse of 2008. That was based once again on a housing bubble.

Your cite is conflating issues that had absolutely no effect on the economy since there were other more catastrophic overriding factors.

“Stop Child Soldiers”

Location hidden

#1178534 Aug 2, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
Latin America comes out in force against Israel
Montevideo (AFP)- Latin America's leaders are among the most vehement in condemning Israel's Gaza offensive -- labelling the Jewish state "terrorist", recalling ambassadors, and offering near-unanimous, unwavering support to Palestinians.
"I can't remember another similar situation where (all the countries in the region) have reacted practically as a bloc," said political scientist Reginaldo Nasser, a professor at the Pontifical University in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
One of the most symbolic recent developments came from Bolivian President Evo Morales -- one of the leaders of Latin America's far left -- who put Israel on its list of "Terrorist States" and eliminated a visa waiver program for Israeli citizens.
More than 1,400 Palestinians have been killed and 8,000 injured, two-thirds of them civilians, in Gaza in 24 days of fighting between Hamas and Israel. The conflict has also cost the lives of 61 Israeli soldiers, as well as two civilians and a Thai farm worker killed by rocket fire.
More than 245 of the dead Palestinians were children, UNICEF has said.
Brazil President Dilma Rousseff this week called the Israeli military operation a "massacre."
Tensions between the two countries had already escalated a week earlier, when Brazil recalled its envoy from Tel Aviv, a move that prompted Israel's foreign ministry spokesman to call the Latin American powerhouse a "diplomatic dwarf".
Rousseff's condemnation did not go as far as some of her peers. Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro denounced "a war of extermination that has lasted nearly a century" against the Palestinian people. A lawmaker from his party used the term "genocide" -- a term rejected by Rousseff.
Peru, Ecuador, Chile, and El Salvador have also recalled their ambassadors for consultations, while Costa Rica and Argentina, which have the largest Jewish populations in the region, called the Israeli ambassador for meetings at their foreign ministries.
The region has universally condemned the violence from Israeli military operations, urged a ceasefire and the resumption of negotiations between the two sides.
----------
Appears the Jews don't control the media in Latin America.
Only America is tied to Israel by Jewish American Bankers.
The USA is a captive state of Israel.
Latin America like terrorist.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1178535 Aug 2, 2014
TSM wrote:
And Clinton failed to get bin laden that led to 911
Nostrilis Waxman

Miami, FL

#1178536 Aug 2, 2014
I wonder if Obama is bringing American ebola patients back to the U.S. for political gain!!!!!!!!!!

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1178537 Aug 2, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox again??? Geez.
"According to new numbers, the U.S. economy continued to add jobs at a steady pace in July. Employers added 209,000 jobs to their payrolls, and while the report showed the unemployment rate ticking up slightly to 6.2 percent, even that was a somewhat positive sign."
http://www.npr.org/2014/08/01/337164729/in-ju...
Uh, claims for unemployment benefits rose 25,000 to 302,000 last week. Let's see 302,000 lost their job. 209,000 got a job. What is wrong with this picture?

Economy is on fire!!! LMAO!!!!
TSM

El Paso, TX

#1178538 Aug 2, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
so they weren't aware of the fact that the Senate had already gone home? they didn't know Obama had already waved the veto pen?
desperation indeed.....they passed a nothing but symbolic bill and you act like they actually did something.
get back to me when they pass a bill that actually means something. like....never?
Son...The House passing a Bill ‘Symbolic?… Obama’s Presidency is “ Symbolic !”

“Stop Child Soldiers”

Location hidden

#1178539 Aug 2, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Before Bush invaded, the Iraqi Christians were safe, had been for centuries.
Saddam ran a secular regime. Bush replaced it with a Shiiite militant regime.
It's all the fault of stupid Bush and idiots like you who supported him.
That would be you.
You never keep up with current events-eh?

The ISIS-the group Obama sat by and watch them invade Iraq--are slaughtering the Christians.

Sometimes Nuc you have to admit that Obama messed up

“Stop Child Soldiers”

Location hidden

#1178540 Aug 2, 2014
This what the terrorist group Hamas thinks about free speech

https://twitter.com/AdamMilstein/status/49420...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 25 min Freedomofexpression 318,348
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 48 min Not who you think 34,445
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Fri Wisdom of Ages 11,652
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 30 Frankie Rizzo 201,871
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 29 Alice Meng 13
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sep 20 The pope 258,482
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web