Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1602365 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Nostrilis Waxman

Simsbury, CT

#1142723 May 28, 2014
We need to put insane liberals back in insane asylums to protect our kids.

Liberals kill people, not guns.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1142724 May 28, 2014
Anyone notice the rousing welcome Obama got at the U.S. Military Academy this morning? They cheered like corpse-men.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1142725 May 28, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Ghost. Delusional much?
Sy bagger, that's not me.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#1142727 May 28, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>hey, the lyg scum lying about his service again!
did you find that draft lottery number you got over a year before the draft lottery ever started?
you were ruled too stupid to serve.
Yeah he sold his number and sent an American... One that had NO persona at all...I think it was one of your cousins... LOL

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

KREUZBERG...

#1142728 May 28, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
We need to put insane liberals back in insane asylums to protect our kids.
Liberals kill people, not guns.
Liberals kill smokers is all they just want to Ban things , that is all the power they have...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1142729 May 28, 2014
Is This A Party Thinking Of The Future?

Duck DynastyĎs Phil Robertson is going to keynote the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans tomorrow:

Robertson will talk to the annual confab in the evening of its opening day, the conference announced Tuesday. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) are among the people also scheduled to speak Thursday evening at the conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Yíall know I like the Duck Dynastists, and I think Phil Robertson got a raw deal when he was trashed earlier this year. Still, I wonder what the GOP is trying to accomplish by giving the Duck Commander the prime spot in its big event. Is putting a reality TV celebrity, one known for being extremely polarizing in the culture war, in that slot really the sign of a party thatís looking outside of its own navel? Again, I say that as somebody who is all for the Duck guys, but also as someone who doesnít understand why the Republican Party thinks it can grow itself by identifying itself so strongly with the South and white Southern culture.

Itís hard to get more iconic of the rural Bible Belt South than the Duck Commander. Hey, I live in the rural South, and Iím glad I do. But this is a big country.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher...
GayGhostsmama

Palm Coast, FL

#1142730 May 28, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Lookie it's my gay stalker Waxballs.
It's not nice to call yo mama a gay stalker; yo babydaddy-in-hiding he not be happy. Now what is that about yo waxed balls, Honey?
GayGhostsmama

Palm Coast, FL

#1142731 May 28, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
While you were complaining President Obama
was elected with the popular vote twice.
Both times dat be foe "Lie of the Year" be revealed... LOL
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142732 May 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
It's your president who needs some tests "ran" apparently. Has a selective memory problem or lying disorder. Either/and/or.
He's not interested in being my president. Made that clear a long time ago.
Hmmmm... you're obviously not American then son....

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

KREUZBERG...

#1142733 May 28, 2014
Corporal Corporate SIR????
Didn't I just read something on something like that?
Must be me again...
Clowns dance too oh corpses well a Town Idiot who is that going to be?
We...Oh I am looking this time for an Einstein I found Peters by the way...
Is that crazy or what?
A Poet I found him too and I think I have an Einstein but what a do???
I know the exact place to take over hijack it and hmmmm...
Well they thought it sounded like fun...

Oh yeah and that American he is a bomber that one guy ...He came home bombed as chit...P'd off to the core some had for sure...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142734 May 28, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
He's doing the lying all by himself to cover up his incompetency as a president.
His outrage about every scandal and doing nothing about them - and reading about every one of them in the newspapers - is getting very old and tiring even to liberals who once defended him as blindly and loyally as you do on here.
lol! Which is why reich wing whiners offer... nothing... as an alternative.

Seems straightforward there....
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1142735 May 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Is This A Party Thinking Of The Future?
Duck DynastyĎs Phil Robertson is going to keynote the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans tomorrow:
Robertson will talk to the annual confab in the evening of its opening day, the conference announced Tuesday. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) are among the people also scheduled to speak Thursday evening at the conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Yíall know I like the Duck Dynastists, and I think Phil Robertson got a raw deal when he was trashed earlier this year. Still, I wonder what the GOP is trying to accomplish by giving the Duck Commander the prime spot in its big event. Is putting a reality TV celebrity, one known for being extremely polarizing in the culture war, in that slot really the sign of a party thatís looking outside of its own navel? Again, I say that as somebody who is all for the Duck guys, but also as someone who doesnít understand why the Republican Party thinks it can grow itself by identifying itself so strongly with the South and white Southern culture.
Itís hard to get more iconic of the rural Bible Belt South than the Duck Commander. Hey, I live in the rural South, and Iím glad I do. But this is a big country.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher...
Just more proof that Republicans are QUACKING up.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142736 May 28, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry old libtard, not me. Paranoid much?
poor ruskie....

still trying to be American like in a commie world!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1142737 May 28, 2014
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Most legal scholars agree that gun control has nothing to do with the 2nd, it has everything to do with public health and public safety!
i agree. but there's the usual obstacle.

The NRA's Orwellian Games On Guns And The Mentally Ill

There's no defense quite like a good offense. But this one relies on a falsehood.

The National Rifle Association, under fire in many quarters for scuttling popular legislation to require near-universal background checks for gun purchases, is embarking on a new campaign to prove that it cares about preventing future shootings. The group is talking up the need to keep firearms away from mentally ill people -- a cause that it frequently invokes.

The gun lobby organization is putting out a print ad lamenting that mental health reform is "being held hostage" -- the three words are creatively splayed out to look like a hostage note -- by President Obama and Democrats. Reported this week by the Washington Examiner, the group intends to spend $55,000 on the ad campaign.

A compelling message -- from a strange messenger. It's not merely that a bill the NRA helped kill in April would have closed loopholes through which criminals and mentally ill people can currently buy guns without a background check. It's also that the NRA-backed substitute legislation, which also failed in the Senate, would have made it easier for people with a history of severe mental illness to buy firearms.

Specifically, the NRA supported a bill offered by Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) that would have let people who have been involuntarily committed to psychiatric hospitals buy guns immediately after their commitment order expired.

Under the Grassley-Cruz bill, "[p]eople recently hospitalized and still recovering from a mental health crisis could go directly from the hospital to a gun store -- and legally buy a firearm," explained a trio of mental health law and policy experts in the D.C. newspaper The Hill. "Guns that were seized at the time of hospitalization would have to be returned."

The three professors -- Columbia University's Paul Appelbaum, University of Virginia's Richard Bonnie and Duke University's Jeffrey Swanson -- argued that this would be dangerous. "The expiration of an involuntary commitment order is often just the starting point in a person's ongoing recovery from an acute episode of a mental disorder," they wrote. "Indeed, attempts at suicide and other acts of violence following hospitalization are most likely to occur shortly after discharge, with the risk diminishing over time."

The NRA-backed Grassley-Cruz legislation would also have restored gun rights for people who "have been adjudicated mentally incompetent" to enter into contracts. And although its supporters say it enhanced resources and incentives to improve mental health reporting, it would ultimately have cut funding for the background check system by about $105 million.

"The NRA is at the point of shamelessness where they hand legislative language to Senators and say they can help get more mentally ill people into the system, when Grassley-Cruz would in fact do precisely the opposite," said Mark Glaze, the executive director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the group led by Michael Bloomberg. "[T]he NRA has spent a generation making sure anyone can buy any gun and carry it anywhere -- including felons and the seriously mentally ill."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/the-nra-s-orw...

so now we're back the 2nd. the Court has said that there are limitations. let's follow through.
Hillaryous

Palm Coast, FL

#1142738 May 28, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmmm... you're obviously not American then son....
probably someone born in Kenya but claiming Hawaiian birth daughter.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#1142739 May 28, 2014
Hillaryous wrote:
<quoted text> probably someone born in Kenya but claiming Hawaiian birth daughter.
What difference does it make?
GayGhostsmama

Palm Coast, FL

#1142740 May 28, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Just more proof that Republicans are QUACKING up.
You're quacking up about what, Honey?

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1142741 May 28, 2014
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>
'...1 in 3 Democrats believe that Bush was in on it (9/11 Terror Attacks) somehow, and a majority of Democrats either believe that Bush knew about the attacks ...'
http://www.latimes.com/la-oe-goldberg15may15-...
Hmmm. What we have here is 61% of Democrats saying that either Bush was definitely not "in on" 9/11 or they don't have enough information to make a decision one way or the other. Seems about right

Certainly proves that the majority of Democrats are smarter than the 55% of Republicans who believe Obama wasn't born in the United States.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1142742 May 28, 2014
Hillaryous wrote:
<quoted text> probably someone born in Kenya but claiming Hawaiian birth daughter.
????????
Hillaryous

Palm Coast, FL

#1142743 May 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree. but there's the usual obstacle.
The NRA's Orwellian Games On Guns And The Mentally Ill
There's no defense quite like a good offense. But this one relies on a falsehood.
The National Rifle Association, under fire in many quarters for scuttling popular legislation to require near-universal background checks for gun purchases, is embarking on a new campaign to prove that it cares about preventing future shootings. The group is talking up the need to keep firearms away from mentally ill people -- a cause that it frequently invokes.
The gun lobby organization is putting out a print ad lamenting that mental health reform is "being held hostage" -- the three words are creatively splayed out to look like a hostage note -- by President Obama and Democrats. Reported this week by the Washington Examiner, the group intends to spend $55,000 on the ad campaign.
A compelling message -- from a strange messenger. It's not merely that a bill the NRA helped kill in April would have closed loopholes through which criminals and mentally ill people can currently buy guns without a background check. It's also that the NRA-backed substitute legislation, which also failed in the Senate, would have made it easier for people with a history of severe mental illness to buy firearms.
Specifically, the NRA supported a bill offered by Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) that would have let people who have been involuntarily committed to psychiatric hospitals buy guns immediately after their commitment order expired.
Under the Grassley-Cruz bill, "[p]eople recently hospitalized and still recovering from a mental health crisis could go directly from the hospital to a gun store -- and legally buy a firearm," explained a trio of mental health law and policy experts in the D.C. newspaper The Hill. "Guns that were seized at the time of hospitalization would have to be returned."
The three professors -- Columbia University's Paul Appelbaum, University of Virginia's Richard Bonnie and Duke University's Jeffrey Swanson -- argued that this would be dangerous. "The expiration of an involuntary commitment order is often just the starting point in a person's ongoing recovery from an acute episode of a mental disorder," they wrote. "Indeed, attempts at suicide and other acts of violence following hospitalization are most likely to occur shortly after discharge, with the risk diminishing over time."
The NRA-backed Grassley-Cruz legislation would also have restored gun rights for people who "have been adjudicated mentally incompetent" to enter into contracts. And although its supporters say it enhanced resources and incentives to improve mental health reporting, it would ultimately have cut funding for the background check system by about $105 million.
"The NRA is at the point of shamelessness where they hand legislative language to Senators and say they can help get more mentally ill people into the system, when Grassley-Cruz would in fact do precisely the opposite," said Mark Glaze, the executive director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the group led by Michael Bloomberg. "[T]he NRA has spent a generation making sure anyone can buy any gun and carry it anywhere -- including felons and the seriously mentally ill."
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/the-nra-s-orw...
so now we're back the 2nd. the Court has said that there are limitations. let's follow through.
What DIFFERENCE does it make?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Bruddah Z 317,584
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 9 hr Fugsworth 11,572
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr LMFAO phart 34,230
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sep 20 The pope 258,485
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 14 Hellepsoaio 12
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep 12 Love 292
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 11 Rose of Tralee 201,880
More from around the web