Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1434086 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1139641 May 21, 2014
Signs the Progressive 'you don't need a job' economy is on fire!

'In 2013, about 71 percent of adults age 25 to 54 were employed, according to an analysis conducted for the Pew Charitable Trusts' "Fiscal 50" project.

Six years earlier, an estimated 77 percent of those adults were employed. Put another way, the share of Alabama adults that are employed has fallen by six percentage points over the past six years.

Almost every state has seen a significant drop in share of adults working. On average nationwide, the share of adults employed fell by four percentage points over those six years.'

http://www.pewstates.org/news-room/media-cove...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1139642 May 21, 2014
problems before Obama that none of the FOXbots want to talk about.

President Bush apologized Friday for the shoddy conditions at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and promised during a visit to the facility for war veterans that "we're going to fix the problem."

Critics questioned the timing of Bush's visit six weeks after poor conditions and neglect of veterans were exposed there.

Retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, among retired military officers who took part in a conference call before Bush's visit, praised the president for seeing wounded soldiers. But, he added: "I'm convinced he would honor them more if he would refrain from using soldiers as props in political theater."

"I would be very happy to see him do the Walter Reed visit more like the commander and secondarily as an inspector general, rather than as a politician," he said.

Bobby Muller, president of Veterans for America, said Bush wasn't seeing areas of the hospital most in need of change. He cited Ward 54, where soldiers are suffering from acute mental health conditions, and outpatient holding facilities where soldiers see long waits to get processed out of the Army.

"Walter Reed is not a photo-op," Muller said. "Walter Reed is still broken. The DOD health care system is still broken.... Our troops need their commander in chief to start working harder for them."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17869103/ns/politic...
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1139643 May 21, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Here we go again!!!! He said Obama borrowed a trillion dollars. Good grief!!!!
You seem to be totally clueless as to just how warped and stupid you really are.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1139644 May 21, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Here we go again!!!! He said Obama borrowed a trillion dollars. Good grief!!!!
Why don't you do yourself and the rest of us a favor and over dose. Looney bin.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1139646 May 21, 2014
When Fox News Shrugged Over A Military Care Scandal (Hint: Bush Was President)

But back then, of course, George W. Bush was president and back then Fox News wasn't as interested in the story.(It took Bill O'Reilly six weeks following the publication of the first Post expose to conclude that the Bush administration had badly bungled care at Walter Reed.) And Fox worried journalists were paying too much attention to the scandal.

Numbers highlight the striking disparity in coverage.

Over a six-week period during early 2007, as the Walter Reed story continued to generate headlines, Fox aired a total of 28 reports and discussions on the topic, according to a search of programs archived by Nexis. By contrast, in just the last seven days Fox has aired more than 30 segments on the VA story.

In 2007, key talkers such as Sean Hannity and Charles Krauthammer were all amazingly silent on Fox, for weeks at a time, about the wounded soldiers scandal. During that time, Hannity failed on camera to condemn the deplorable Army hospital environment, or hold the administration accountable. The same lack of interest was shared by Krauthammer: Not once did he discuss Walter Reed on the air during his more than one dozen primetime Fox News appearances in the months of February and March in 2007.

Today? With a Democrat in the White House, both men are in high dudgeon mode over the unfolding VA story:

Meanwhile, in 2007 Think Progress noted that on March 2, as the veterans scandal escalated, and one day after the secretary of the Army resigned, the story was of little interest at Fox. That day, Fox mentioned "Anna Nicole Smith," who had generated tabloid headlines when she died three weeks earlier, 121 times. But "Walter Reed" was referenced just ten times on March 2, 2007. By contrast, MSNBC and CNN mentioned the hospital 84 and 53 times on that day, respectively.

While Fox shied away from the Walter Reed story seven years, it simultaneously wondered if the rest of the news media were paying too much attention to the scandal. During a March 10, 2007 discussion on Fox News Watch, host E.D. Hill noted, "The media first brought the scandal to light. But now, are they also in danger of overdoing it?" She later pressed a guest: "Is all of this just slightly overdone?"

Note that the disturbing Walter Reed story has been unraveling for years. Steve Robinson, director of Veterans Affairs at Veterans for America, had told Salon, "What we are talking about is a systemic problem where soldiers are left unattended in the barracks. They are sharing medications. They are drinking like alcoholics," and waiting for treatment.

Indeed, Salon's Mark Benjamin spent years prior to 2007 diligently detailing the troubling and widespread shortcomings for military members who returned to Walter Reed from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Fox's look-away coverage from Walter Reed mirrored how the conservative press ignored the growing veterans scandal for years. "If the right-wing media had broadcast the story, hidden in plain sight," Steve Young wrote in the Philadelphia Inquirer, "the right's water-carriers could have helped avert years of misery for many of our veterans."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/05/21/when-...
Red Lobster

Palm Coast, FL

#1139647 May 21, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Not very convincing, look how many of you fanatics on the right that would be happy if Obama was kicked out of office. I'll bet you that the vast number of Iraqis will say that they were better off under Saddam than they are now... Not counting the couple hundred thousands that lost their lives for Bush's lies.
"lies"? Did you say, "lies"? Barack Hussein Obama: "Lie of the Year"

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1139649 May 21, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Corporal Captain Ghostie it amuses me to no end how under your skin I've gotten. You are a moran!!! [email protected]!!!!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1139650 May 21, 2014
AWOL in covering a scandal Right-wing media have ignored the mistreatment of veterans at Walter Reed.

The Walter Reed scandal was a story years in the making. A story that up until last week had been downplayed - censored, really - by the government and the military. A story kept from American voters by our pro-troop, pro-surge broadcasting Lords of Loud.

If the right-wing media had broadcast the story, hidden in plain sight, with half the energy they use to excoriate the ACLU, the right's water-carriers could have helped avert years of misery for many of our veterans.

Certainly the information was out there. All they had to do was talk to the minority Democratic Congress members on the Veteran Affairs Committee, who watched helplessly as House Republicans voted to increase veterans' medical fees and reject increased funds for veterans' health care, which, in effect, cut their benefits. How easy would it have been for, say, Bill O'Reilly, to expose this national embarrassment? Very. So why did the right's echo chamber choose to ignore this disgrace? A tough one to answer, especially when they spend so much time characterizing the left as the anti-soldier cult.

On talk radio or Fox News, it's been all Anna Nicole Smith, Britney's hair or lack of same, American Idol nudie pics, Al Gore's perfidious hypocrisy, Obama's connection to racist churches, Hillary's connection to Satan.

Do you see anything on that list that mentions the national shame that is Walter Reed Army Medical Center? Not when there was righteous indignation to be vented over Melissa Etheridge calling her partner wife at the Oscars.

To his credit, new Secretary of Defense Robert Gates didn't bring charges against some Army private but instead felled the Walter Reed commandant and a secretary of the Army. Perhaps Gates should have been in charge during Abu Ghraib and Katrina. But you heard nary a peep of indignation from O'Reilly against the Republican Congress, which, for the last six years, not only stood by and allowed Walter Reed to happen but actually conspired in the abomination.

It was House Republicans who ousted conservative Republican Chris Smith as the chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee when he sought higher funding for veterans services than the Bush administration desired. Any word of that in the rightward media? Not from Rush Limbaugh.

Would Fox News scroll the comments of Veterans Affairs Committee member Lane Evans (D., Ill.) that "the Republican budget resolution will decrease critical services and inflict real pain upon service members, veterans and military families during a time of war," and that "Congress should be ashamed"? Not when Brit Hume needs to question John Murtha's sanity in demanding our soldiers be armed and trained properly before being sent into the middle of someone else's civil war.

Instead of the truth behind the enormous disservice to our men and women, we hear of left-wing scapegoats and anti-global-warming red herrings run (or swam?) amok. Perhaps our veterans would receive better treatment if we burned one more Dixie Chicks CD. Or Swift Boated one more war hero.

I don't know how long it will take Republican voters to realize that they have been Swift-Boated by the very leaders and mouthpieces who swear themselves in support of the troops. Perhaps this unfolding scandal will finally stop Republicans from voting against the American soldier's best interests.

http://articles.philly.com/2007-03-06/news/25...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1139651 May 21, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop posting such lies.
The killing of more than 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys and the mass expulsion of 25,000 to 30,000 Bosniak civilians in 1995 was committed by units of the Army of the Republika Srpska under the command of General Ratko Mladi&#263;.
Christians are persecuted enough around the Muslim world without you adding to a growing anti-Christian intolerance.
When the Roman Catholic Church replaced the Great Roman Empire as the dominate force in Europe during the Middle Ages, atrocities were committed against anyone who refused to convert to Catholicism - including and especially Protestants.
History has judged and condemned their actions. The Roman Catholic Church sought power and control. They weren't interested in Christianity or the true Christian faith. Just like extreme Islamists today.
Lies are something you don't have a problem with son....
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1139652 May 21, 2014
Nothing to see here...

'A series of emails disclosed this week indicate that officials at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) don't particularly like conservative reporters and in at least one case told a scientist to lie in order to avoid answering questions.'

http://reason.com/blog/2014/05/15/emails-reve...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1139653 May 21, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I don't do drugs that would be hard to do.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1139654 May 21, 2014
Red Lobster wrote:
<quoted text> "lies"? Did you say, "lies"? Barack Hussein Obama: "Lie of the Year"
Yes Waxballs, to you idiots.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1139656 May 21, 2014
Tank Murdoch wrote:
Obama learned about the VA scandal through the media, gee what an engaged leader we have!
Funny. Bush sr's 'intel' arm was CNN when he attacked iraq.....
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1139657 May 21, 2014
TPRTY wrote:
Obama has known about the VA problem for years -- before he was president, but, uh, he didn't really know?
Well, he's real mad and he cares...and that's all that counts, right?
Soo Mr liar, you admit that the problems were there when Bush was president.Bush left such a mess with every thing it's amazing we have progressed as far as we have, especially since the Republicans one stated goal was to defeat Obama. Now theres some good old American love fr your, huh whiney azzed LIAR.

Since: Mar 14

Orlando, FL

#1139658 May 21, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Good for you babe__maybe your posts on the subject will finally make some sense.
Or maybe not.
I bought the 911 Commission Report when it first came out__later purchased Debunking 911 Myths.
Was going to remind you it was you who brought up the 9/11 report last night.

It was you who made me look it up and made me read it. So it was you who convinced me all you liberals parroting it was all Bush's fault is more propaganda which the report "debunks" .to steal your word.

Perhaps I should thank you. The report proves all of you are wrong.
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1139659 May 21, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Since I don't do drugs that would be hard to do.
Burned out ehh?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1139660 May 21, 2014
Roman Catholic priest Rev. Edwards Beck, who believes that denying climate change is a sin, on Wednesday lashed out at game show host Pat Sajak after he compared environmental activists to racists.

On Monday night, Sajak had taken to Twitter to attack climate change believers.

“I now believe global warming alarmists are unpatriotic racists knowingly misleading for their own ends. Good night,” the longtime Wheel of Fortune host wrote.

“The church has indicated that this is a moral issue,” Beck explained to CNN’s Carol Costello on Wednesday.“We’re stewards of creation, we need to care for it. This is God’s gift to us. And if you abuse it, then you are really maligning that gift.”

The reverend pointed out that Sajak had not thought the comparison to racism all of the way through.

“What’s interesting to me is — the racist, unpatriotic — is how you link the two,” Beck said.“I think the argument could be made that it is more racist to deny climate change because those being effected by it are the poor. The global poor are effected most by climate change, not the rich, who can afford air conditioning, and who can get around all the deleterious effects of climate change.”

Evangelical Rev. Mitchell Hescox told Costello that he was praying for Sajak to get over his “angry hatredness.”

“You just have to look at the world around you,” he added.“You know, the world is changing. And we need to do something about it before it’s too late.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/21/catholi...
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1139661 May 21, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Corporal Captain Ghostie it amuses me to no end how under your skin I've gotten. You are a moran!!! [email protected]!!!!!
But flackie poo what a short memory you have, you picked this fight and now you want to turn puccessee. Cry you little bitch. I use my own words unlike your dumbazz.

Since: Mar 14

Orlando, FL

#1139662 May 21, 2014
We have a disengaged president who seems more annoyed than outraged whenever confronted with incompetency or wrongdoing in his administration and never gets to the bottom of anything.

Since: May 11

Carlisle, PA

#1139663 May 21, 2014
flack wrote:
First your buddy claimed Obama raised taxes on the middle class.

I said that he actually cut taxes on the middle class.

And you can charging in with this trillion dollar number.

First of all, the stimulus bill cost was like 900 billion. 38% dealt with tax breaks or 342 billion dollars.

This compares with Bushes 2.8 trillion dollar tax cut - unfunded tilted towards the wealthy.

Flack: Borrowing 2.8 trillion favoring the wealthy OK. Obama's 342 billion favoring working Americans is "OMG OMG OMG".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 31 min Joe Fortuna 257,171
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Boom2303 311,930
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 8 hr Earthling-1 10,136
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Bruin For Life 32,407
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Sep 18 Go Blue Forever 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 10 yess 201,881
News UCLA Basketball: Grad Transfer Octeus to Bruins (Jun '14) Aug 31 Trojan 2
More from around the web