Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1704482 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1134998 May 11, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
Let's review again the GOP's "affordable" plan for health care reform...(keep in mind ObamaCare was ruled as a tax law by SCOTUS):
A. Universal access programs guaranteeing access to affordable care for those with pre-existing conditions.
B. Ending costly junk lawsuits.
C. Preventing insurers from cancelling policies denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions.
D. Giving small businesses the ability to pool together to offer health care at lower prices.
E. Providing incentive payments to states that reduce premiums and the number of uninsured.
F. Allowing Americans to buy insurance across state lines.
G. Health Savings Accounts to create incentives to save for future and long-term care needs to use HSAs to pay premiums.
Which letter/s wouldn't lower costs? And aren't the better solutions?
it never would have made it our of congress like that...not even a house and senate with republican majorities...especially with that! it would have ended up looking like hte ACA or worse...

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1135000 May 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so if the procedures performed on your hubby were done substandard, and left him with millions of medical costs for the rest of his painful life, you'd just say "oh well" and walk away?
It's been my strong opinion for many years that the medical profession has become substandard in that most doctors perform knee-jerk procedures and tests to cover their butts and too many medical professionals have become apathetic knowing they're going to get handsomely paid simply by billing the insurance companies and HMOs no matter how much the cost...plus all the red tape of government bureaucracy in Medicare and the paperwork and paying extra employees to keep up with it along with rising malpractice insurance costing the patient even more.

ObamaCare is just going to make physicians even more apathetic or leave practicing medicine altogether.

I've been complaining about the health care system for decades because it's too costly and inaccessible to so many.

What we have now isn't reform. It's more government bureaucracy and more taxes and 30 million are still projected to be uninsured.

Not exactly the kind of health care reform I've been waiting decades for.
Michelle

Wexford, PA

#1135001 May 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and covering their mistakes, which will happen (no one is perfect) is going to be expensive for the health care industry as a whole.
One of the problems with medical malpractice cases is that juries often fail to recognize that a bad outcome is not necessarily the result of malpractice and award large verdicts to sympathetic litigants regardless of fault, just because there is insurance.
Michelle

Wexford, PA

#1135002 May 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>maybe we should ask Nigeria to help us here in the US free the thousands upon thousands of human trafficked little girls in the sex industry we have right here and can't seem to save ourselves...
Gd to have you on board.

#BringBackOurGirls

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#1135003 May 11, 2014
Eleanor Beaver wrote:
<quoted text>
How Did Rich Connecticut Morph Into One Of America's Worst Performing Economies?
Why, Democrats of course!
"Governor Malloy has signed legislation he introduced that strengthens the presence of United Technologies in Connecticut and bolsters the state's aerospace industry, impacting more than 75,000 jobs in Connecticut."..“With the signing of this legislation, we are moving our state toward a new era of innovation, investment and economic growth, while solidifying our position as a world leader in aerospace manufacturing. Most importantly, this agreement has a direct impact on employment at the thousands of aerospace supply chain companies throughout the state, ensuring they are keeping and creating good-paying jobs with good benefits for men and women in nearly every city and town in Connecticut,” said Governor Malloy.

More info on today's announcement ---> http://1.usa.gov/1jpGDLz

"Great news: Data released today by the National Assessment of Educational Progress shows that Connecticut high school seniors lead the nation in reading and remained in the top tier in math." More info on today's announcement ---> http://1.usa.gov/1jAvlna
Carlos Danger

Los Angeles, CA

#1135004 May 11, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
My mama's white as snow and she doesn't resemble a baboon, like Moochelle and Dopey Dave.......... and you
LMAO
Carlos Danger

Los Angeles, CA

#1135005 May 11, 2014
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Gd to have you on board.
#BringBackOurGirls
#GetBackOurCountry
Nostrilis Waxman

UK

#1135006 May 11, 2014
And another one of my wonderful sockpuppets has come forth!!!! He calls himself "Carlos Danger". Winning!

Please my dear friends, show him some Topix Love!!Hoping that all my "opponents" so far today are enjoying my deranged comments and senseless, useless, mindless attacks against them!!!!!!!!!!

You all must admit my newest Topix sockpuppet creation,
"Hillaryous" is fabulous. She is currently my new favorite and by far one of the most endearing of all my sockpuppets so far. I channeled her with my tinfoil hat from my wheelchair as I sat in front of my mirror today in a fresh pair of industrial strength depends repeating over and over:

"I'M GOOD ENOUGH. I'M SMART ENOUGH. AND DOGGONE IT, PEOPLE LIKE ME.!!!!!!!!!

Please my friends, show them her some LOVE!!!!!!

Hugs,xoxox,,Waxman!!!!!!!!!!
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1135007 May 11, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been my strong opinion for many years that the medical profession has become substandard in that most doctors perform knee-jerk procedures and tests to cover their butts and too many medical professionals have become apathetic knowing they're going to get handsomely paid simply by billing the insurance companies and HMOs no matter how much the cost...plus all the red tape of government bureaucracy in Medicare and the paperwork and paying extra employees to keep up with it along with rising malpractice insurance costing the patient even more.
ObamaCare is just going to make physicians even more apathetic or leave practicing medicine altogether.
I've been complaining about the health care system for decades because it's too costly and inaccessible to so many.
What we have now isn't reform. It's more government bureaucracy and more taxes and 30 million are still projected to be uninsured.
So__what you're saying then is__that back in the day (pre technology) when medicine was guesswork you were happier?

You're a real piece of work babe__and based on your posts here are clueless as to the the health care and health insurance industries.

Sadly misinformed!
Eleanor Beaver

United States

#1135009 May 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, the Kony 2012 internet sensation did so much...
# useless...but palliative to people's feelings of apathy as they tweeted something or liked it on facebook, so they feel they are doing something...
Wait...we actually see (sort of) eye to eye on something?

Alright, who are you and what did you do to the real Woodtick?
Grey Ghost

Bumpass, VA

#1135010 May 11, 2014
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
And another one of my wonderful sockpuppets has come forth!!!! He calls himself "Carlos Danger". Winning!
Please my dear friends, show him some Topix Love!!Hoping that all my "opponents" so far today are enjoying my deranged comments and senseless, useless, mindless attacks against them!!!!!!!!!!
You all must admit my newest Topix sockpuppet creation,
"Hillaryous" is fabulous. She is currently my new favorite and by far one of the most endearing of all my sockpuppets so far. I channeled her with my tinfoil hat from my wheelchair as I sat in front of my mirror today in a fresh pair of industrial strength depends repeating over and over:
"I'M GOOD ENOUGH. I'M SMART ENOUGH. AND DOGGONE IT, PEOPLE LIKE ME.!!!!!!!!!
Please my friends, show them her some LOVE!!!!!!
Hugs,xoxox,,Waxman!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry Waxman, but as a special trained doctor for the afflicted it's my sad job to report that based on our expert field of professionals out of 50,000 that worked on your case...They all reported the very same results. You are unfixable and you have deteriorated to the point of no return. Even your tiny penis seems to not want anything to do with you anymore. So I suggest you take your tiny one remaining nut and drink your self into oblivion. Quickly.and quitely. For once in your miserable life suck it up and be a man. Even though you have no man parts that work.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1135011 May 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so good! untrained puppies like need to be constrained for their own safety and that of others...
can you get your neighbor on a leash also?
He's been behaving; afraid to end up in jail. But yeah, he needs a leash too!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1135012 May 11, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>So__what you're saying then is__that back in the day (pre technology) when medicine was guesswork you were happier?
You're a real piece of work babe__and based on your posts here are clueless as to the the health care and health insurance industries.
Sadly misinformed!
I believe that many doctors recommend unnecessary procedures for billing purposes; people really have to have their wits about them and decide if they really need the recommended surgeries; but sadly the elderly listen to their doctors as if they are God.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1135013 May 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so if the procedures performed on your hubby were done substandard, and left him with millions of medical costs for the rest of his painful life, you'd just say "oh well" and walk away?
The people who scream for justice; cry loudest for mercy when it affects a loved one.
Nostrilis Waxman

UK

#1135015 May 11, 2014
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Waxman, but as a special trained doctor for the afflicted it's my sad job to report that based on our expert field of professionals out of 50,000 that worked on your case...They all reported the very same results. You are unfixable and you have deteriorated to the point of no return. Even your tiny penis seems to not want anything to do with you anymore. So I suggest you take your tiny one remaining nut and drink your self into oblivion. Quickly.and quitely. For once in your miserable life suck it up and be a man. Even though you have no man parts that work.
Most of my problems are due to that non working ''tiny penis''! Thanks for opening up that wound!!
Now YOU have forced me into drinking another pint of cheap vodka!
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1135016 May 11, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that many doctors recommend unnecessary procedures for billing purposes; people really have to have their wits about them and decide if they really need the recommended surgeries; but sadly the elderly listen to their doctors as if they are God.
I agree that many doctors will take advantage of patient's with the ability to pay__we see it all the time here in Florida where even opthalmologists are involved in ripping off Medicare/Medicaid.

Obamacare won't fix the fraud__it's only step one in what will be a long process of reshaping the health insurance industry.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1135017 May 11, 2014
Just in: Rubio claims that he's ready for POTUS.

ROFLMAO.

He's also, suddenly, become an expert on climate change.

Suddenly=de repente

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1135018 May 11, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your ilk never gave it a constideration. Your plan is sheer nonsense, the Repubs were against forcing coverage for pre-existing, DUH so don't come here tthree years later and suddenly have a conversion. You're a phony. All your list is nonsense. Most already in Obamacare.

You're like a broken record, Carol. The decades you've been complaining, healthcare has changed radically. I don't like it either,it's become too impersonal, but that was well before Obamacare. You blasme every ill in healthcar on Obamacare,which has only been around for a very short time.

Had both sides worked to make a good healthcare bill, it would be working better, I believe. But when you're in a boat and only one side is rowing,you just go in circles.

HSA's have existed for decades, nothing to do with reform.

Your items A and C are pretty much the same thing.

With slave wages the rule in Repugnant America, how many will be able to fund a HSA?? Could you?? You had a fit when you had to come up with a mere $600.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1135019 May 11, 2014
Realtime wrote:
Just in: Rubio claims that he's ready for POTUS.
ROFLMAO.
He's also, suddenly, become an expert on climate change.
Suddenly=de repente
I read Rubio's text from the ABC Sunday show.

He did not question climate change, in fact he agreed it was well in progress. He played to nitwits like the ones we see here when he said he doesn't believe it is mankind caused. He also said he believes legislation will hurt the economy and not really fix the problem.

So we don't want to leave our grandchildren with debt, but we're willling to leave them with a destroyed biosphere. Amazing.

So we hear the new Repugnant talking points. Climate change exists, it's not our fault, and besides, there's nothing we can do about it anyway.

He covered it on all sides. The only thing he left out was telling the Teabag believers that Jesus would save them. Only them.

Rubio is so pandering. He's becoming as big a ho as Bobby Jindal. They'll say anything to keep the nitwits enthralled.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1135020 May 11, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
True.
Universal access programs guaranteeing access to affordable care for those with pre-existing conditions, ending costly junk lawsuits, preventing insurers from cancelling policies denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions, giving small businesses the ability to pool together to offer health care at lower prices, providing incentive payments to states that reduce premiums and the number of uninsured and allowing Americans to buy insurance across state lines...plus Health Savings Accounts to create incentives to save for future and long-term care needs to use HSAs to pay premiums does not cost taxpayers as much and isn't complicated enough for our liberal friends.
Common sense solutions would be too "conservative".
After all your whining and complaining, you are basically saying that the ACA is full of "conservative" solutions.

The ACA "Prevents insurers from cancelling policies denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions".

The ACA "gives small businesses the ability to pool together to offer health care at lower prices".

The ACA provides incentive payments to providers (not the states) by tying payment to quality standards and coordinated care.

The ACA allows for "Health Savings Accounts to create incentives to save for future and long-term care" with a provision that those under 65 will pay a 20% penalty for early withdrawal of funds.

"Costly junk lawsuits": Making it harder to sue for malpractice benefits whom? Certainly not the consumer.

"Universal access programs" guaranteeing access to affordable care for those with pre-existing conditions has already been proven not to work. No matter how you slice it, charging the sick more for insurance coverage than others makes it unaffordable.

"Selling insurance across state lines": States have different laws regulating benefits, consumer protections and financial and solvency requirements. Health insurers do not want to be subject to the insurance and consumer protection laws of the states where their policyholders live. They want them to be subject to the standards of the states where the insurers are located...a state with no standards at all.

As an example, "until 1978, credit card issuers were subject to the interest rate caps in their customers' home states. In California, for instance, cards couldn't charge more than 10% interest, the state limit. But that year the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that credit card issuers could "export" their home state's interest cap." Promptly, the states with high or nonexistent interest rate caps, such as Delaware and South Dakota, became kings of the credit card industry, attracting the consumer credit subsidiaries of Citibank, Wells Fargo and other big banks. One issuer in South Dakota, which counts its credit card industry jobs by the thousands, even put out a card carrying an annual rate of 79.9%. Eventually, Congress stepped in to impose some relatively modest consumer protection rules on the industry--in 2009. So it only took 31 years.

The same thing would happen if health insurers were permitted to export their home states' health insurance standards and regulations. In the same sense that interest rate limits on credit cards no longer exist, coverage standards and rate regulation in the health insurance industry would no longer exist. You'd be able to buy coverage if, and only if, you were a good risk, and it would be the insurer who would decide.(The insurer would set its own price, too.) If that's the insurance market you think we should have, the GOP plan is for you."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min cpeter1313 330,134
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 8 min Into The Night 12,198
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Chosen Traveler 35,538
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Feb 16 Imprtnrd 201,803
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan '18 Sweet 293
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan '18 NicePhartts 8
News Girl Charged After Sending Explicit Selfie: 'I'... Dec '17 Ink Pharted 4
More from around the web