Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1563712 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1095360 Mar 11, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Galt, being dumber than sh*t, doesn't get the subject is the use of Roth IRA's to avoid estate taxes.
Roth IRAs do not avoid estate taxes, because the people who have such accounts are generally not subject to estate taxes.....

Roth IRAs are limited to those with incomes less than $114K single or $191K married, with an annual contribution limit of $5,500....hardly the vehicle of the "wealthy"...

so, Obama is once again screwing the middle class....

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1095361 Mar 11, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
there is more segregation in cities like New York, Chicago, and Detroit than there is in Alabama....
that has to do more with wealth, not race.

the deal with 'bama is they create so little wealth that never happens...kind of the shithole of the nation, huh? this is why us productive states an citizens have to continually prop up these failed states and regions of backwater, 19th century thinking.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1095362 Mar 11, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of us, including myself, gave up higher paying jobs for two reasons....a guaranteed retirement not dependent on fluctuations on Wall Street, the ability to take time off without the roof caving in and the capability of retiring young. And, yes, it is a great job as long as you are content to work for less than the public sector.
Currently, a top level Senior government executive makes $201,700. That is chicken feed compared to the public sector. Where, I might mention, the employer matches AT LEAST half of what the employee contributes toward retirement.
As an aside, mailmen receive their pensions from postal operational funds...not tax payers..and his average salary is $56,100.00. Not exactly overpaid.
I think where you people are confused is with the high rate of pay and benefits paid to Police and Fire personnel. You really can't judge all government employees by those two which, without a doubt, need to be reigned in.
whatever salary you have been paid as a 'civil servant'...you were never worth it...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1095363 Mar 11, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
What a name, Bubba Atkinson!! Almost as good as Twyla Hundt!!
Hi Grey all is well beautiful sunny Florida and we'll be sending Alex Sink to Congress.
It's a statistical tie right now. 48/45 Sink. We will have to see what happens when everybody that went to work today stops and votes on their way home.
Katrina

Tempe, AZ

#1095364 Mar 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Doe-eyed people are not white house interns.
you have no idea of what happens in the real world, do you?
why do you even pretend you do? you just keep making a total ass of yourself when you try.
Why do you employ the same inflamatory tactics where you post? Is that all you have in your arsenal?

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1095365 Mar 11, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>You have it backwards as usual.
Have what backwards?

Are you actually trying to convince yourself the Democrats didn't pass this health care reform law on a strictly partisan vote and made back room deals with Blue Dog Democrats just to have enough votes to get it passed and there WAS even one Republican on board who voted for this monstrosity?

What the hell do I have backwards, Homer? Maybe it's just your head.

Check the polls in 2009 and in 2014 and see for yourself how many Americans didn't support this monstrosity then and don't now.
Olive Magadino

Buffalo, NY

#1095366 Mar 11, 2014
Your 4th Question: Only if she wanted to.

Unless you're inferring that Monica Lewinsky, like so many Women of your generation believe, allow herself/themselves to be dominated by Men, in order to be pleasing, and acceptable.

Who "subordinate" and conform to what Men need, what Men want.

Perhaps she thought it would be a good Career move up the Ladder.

Stop casting all other Woman in that Victorian Era or your own shadow belief and thinking.

PS And as My Grandmother always says: "The door swings open from The Inside".
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Who never said what even close to that?
Was or was not Monica Lewinsky a subordinate under Bill Clinton?
Was or was not she not much older than his own daughter's age?
Would or would not an impressionable doe-eyed subordinate do whatever the most powerful man in the world asked of her?
Talk about creating fantasy. You're Lewis Carroll when it comes to politics and moral judgments.

St. Croix valley

#1095367 Mar 11, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush initially underestimated the resurgence or al Qaeda claiming Iraq the frontlines.
You can justly criticize him for that.
But things haven't turned out so great in Afghanistan either under Obama's "right war" or in Pakistan where he's dropping drones like hotcakes at IHOP.
Not a peep from the left though. Obama's invisible wars get him reelected, but his real war is the most invisible. The media makes absolutely sure of it - for him.
maybe if Bush hadn't run away from the real war on terror in Afghanistand and destroyed the world-wide coalition we had to fight it we may have done better there, don't you think?
you don't even understand what happens just a few years ago, and you think you have the right to talk about these issues? why? you are a useless citizen. you add absolutely nothing to this nation..your ignorance is just a drag from our true potential.

Since: May 11

Blain, PA

#1095368 Mar 11, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Roth IRAs do not avoid estate taxes, because the people who have such accounts are generally not subject to estate taxes.....
Roth IRAs are limited to those with incomes less than $114K single or $191K married, with an annual contribution limit of $5,500....hardly the vehicle of the "wealthy"...
so, Obama is once again screwing the middle class....
If they are not subject to estate taxes anyhow why do they care if the law is changed so they can't be used to avoid estate taxes?

St. Croix valley

#1095369 Mar 11, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of us, including myself, gave up higher paying jobs for two reasons....a guaranteed retirement not dependent on fluctuations on Wall Street, the ability to take time off without the roof caving in and the capability of retiring young. And, yes, it is a great job as long as you are content to work for less than the public sector.
Currently, a top level Senior government executive makes $201,700. That is chicken feed compared to the public sector. Where, I might mention, the employer matches AT LEAST half of what the employee contributes toward retirement.
As an aside, mailmen receive their pensions from postal operational funds...not tax payers..and his average salary is $56,100.00. Not exactly overpaid.
I think where you people are confused is with the high rate of pay and benefits paid to Police and Fire personnel. You really can't judge all government employees by those two which, without a doubt, need to be reigned in.
when you include your full compensation package, you make far more than the private sector. and produce less.

you need to step up your game. or cut your pay...

St. Croix valley

#1095370 Mar 11, 2014
Katrina wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you employ the same inflamatory tactics where you post? Is that all you have in your arsenal?
i just post facts, dear. i post the truth about idiots like you.

don't stalk me dear. you will end up in the dirt. just like the little titty bar waitress you are came from...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1095371 Mar 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>our current obesity epidemic in the US is costing probleus far more than smoking does....far more.
one glance at the fat pigs waddling around our nation will tell you how rampant it is...
more food stamps and expanded school feeding programs will solve that problem....

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#1095373 Mar 11, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I said over 15%, so your ten percent total income would cut the military by 1/3rd.
Now since you say 19%, then your tax plan would cut the military by nearly half as a minimum if all your federal income would be spent on it.
You're a fair tax person & they say we would need a 30% tax rate.
Your new claim said we could do it with a 3% rate. You can't even fund the military on that.
Which aspects of the military are you cutting? Maybe closing all those installations that support your community?
God you're even dumber than I thought!!!!!

Location hidden

#1095374 Mar 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Doe-eyed people are not white house interns.
you have no idea of what happens in the real world, do you?
why do you even pretend you do? you just keep making a total ass of yourself when you try.
She could have bug-eyed for all I care.

If a young intern was singled out by the CEO of a major corporation to perform oral sex in his office during work hours, your double standard would wave like the American flag on the Fourth of July.

Just admit it. Would you condone a CEO taking advantage of a young company intern to perform oral sex?

Yes or no. It's a simple question.

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#1095375 Mar 11, 2014
Incognito4Ever wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish we could stamp that word on every forehead of every liberal.
At least we could see them coming.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Barbara, CA

#1095376 Mar 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>in CA? seriously? your entire real estate industry is out of control...
i was talking with two people here...one from CA and one from NJ. their property taxes for their single, regular sized homes on teeny lots were FAR greater than the taxes on my home on 5 acres and my 40 acres up north with a nice little cabin on it together. and MN is consistently rated as one of the best places to live...( and we still give far more to the feds than we get back!)
you folks have to learn how to use your taxes better...
I'm guessing that the market value of a "regular sized home" in California far exceeds the value of your "home" on five acres. Here in Santa Barbara, a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath home on a 10,000 sq ft. lot sales for $1+ million. You could buy a five acre vacant parcel in far away Santa Ynez for $2.2 million. IMO, equity trumps snow and ice any day.

Location hidden

#1095377 Mar 11, 2014
Olive Magadino wrote:
Your 4th Question: Only if she wanted to.
Unless you're inferring that Monica Lewinsky, like so many Women of your generation believe, allow herself/themselves to be dominated by Men, in order to be pleasing, and acceptable.
Who "subordinate" and conform to what Men need, what Men want.
Perhaps she thought it would be a good Career move up the Ladder.
Stop casting all other Woman in that Victorian Era or your own shadow belief and thinking.
PS And as My Grandmother always says: "The door swings open from The Inside".
<quoted text>
Picture Obama with his pants down in the Oval Office and a young women on her knees in front of him. Or George Washington. Or Abraham Lincoln. Or any president other than Bill "Bubba" Clinton or JFK. At least Kennedy had enough sense to cheat on his wife outside of the Oval Office.

Maybe a visual is all you need.

St. Croix valley

#1095379 Mar 11, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
more food stamps and expanded school feeding programs will solve that problem....
no, no it won't. education about proper diet will. France had a similar problem back in the early part of the 20th century. they started an concerted effort to teach kids how to create a proper diet. it worked.

proven successful systems should be used again.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1095380 Mar 11, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Not really__It just doesn't make sense that so many folks from far away choose the Orlando Topix Forum. Of course it doesn't make sense that someone would pzz away five years posting nonsense on the birther threads either__or lie about their military service.
like you, pal.......

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Barbara, CA

#1095381 Mar 11, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
real estate taxes here are 1.5% of assessed valuation, lower than in many other places....
maybe not lower than MN, but certainly lower than metropolitan areas of NY and NJ....
and the real estate market is stable and relatively inactive, primarily because of short supply due to lack of new construction.....
For the fun of it, I just checked a Minnesota Real Estate site...you can buy a home on ten acres for $189,000. THAT is the reason his taxes are low.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 28 min cpeter1313 315,175
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 11,286
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr Told Pharts 33,405
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) May '17 Into The Night 258,461
More from around the web