Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1232717 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1090912 Mar 4, 2014
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>....We notice your posts
-
On Thursday, leaders of the European Union will meet to decide whether to impose “targeted measures” on Russia. The fact that the EU’s 28 member states are working in unity is a testament to its success. But even more revealing will be whether Russian President Vladimir Putin now recognizes that his country’s own economic dependence on Europe is reason enough to back off his violation of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The EU vision of shared prosperity as a peace enhancer has led it to steadily expand its membership. It now includes 11 states of the former Soviet empire. That vision also led EU members to trust Moscow leaders enough to allow their economies to become closely intertwined with Russia’s.
Russia has become the EU’s third largest trading partner, while the EU is Russia’s largest export market. Nearly a third of natural gas used in Europe comes from Russia.
Perhaps as the EU’s experiment began to work, it believed it could offer Ukraine the opportunity to join its prosperity club. Ukraine shares borders with four recent EU members: Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia. That EU offer, however, proved too threatening to Mr. Putin last November, precipitating the crisis that has led to a standoff in Crimea.
After years of facing internal financial turmoil over the eurozone’s debt crisis, the EU is once again returning to the original reason for creating a sphere of peaceful and mutual prosperity. Poland, for example, is now rethinking its stalled decision to join the 17-nation monetary union.“This [Ukraine] crisis shows that it’s worth making an additional investment in the European Union. It’s perhaps worth looking at the issue of our membership in the eurozone,” said Marek Belka, governor of Poland’s central bank, on Monday.
The EU is an experiment in countries giving up some sovereignty for the greater good of a peaceful continent. This is a type of “soft power,” or an attempt to influence events through nonmilitary means, such as recognizing common values, culture, and ideals. Russia’s aggression in Ukraine is a throwback to hard power, or the use of force by one nation to gain territorial advantage out of a notion of zero-sum thinking.
At least eight nations still seek to join the EU. In fact, it is European ideals that inspired last November’s protests in Ukraine, where people believe in those ideals more than many Europeans do. This crisis can help the EU get back to basics.
Will Robert Parker be joining in these discussion?
Lil Olive Skin Kid

Buffalo, NY

#1090913 Mar 4, 2014
On your way to becoming more obnoxious ...
Raspy Putin wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was I?
Patrick

United States

#1090914 Mar 4, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
dem's clueless remark brought back memories to me about a book I read long ago by some Professor Durant, I believe, called The History of Philosophy.
Interesting
Raspy Putin

Edgerton, WI

#1090915 Mar 4, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>Why is O'bama letting these Moslems interact with the American soldiers?
Well, possibly because you guys invaded the place and he feels obligated to?
Patrick

United States

#1090916 Mar 4, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I read long ago by some Professor Durant, I believe, called The History of Philosophy.
While you may misquote the book, you do introduce her to reading
LOL

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1090917 Mar 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
We need new faces and new voices, for sure. But I think we do.
After November, there might even be a few more, God willing.
They need to push term limits in Congress as a #1 priority.
yes, the cry of the truly ignorant that are actually the ones causing our problems in washibngton...

the problem isn't there, dear. the problem is ignorant voters like you...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1090918 Mar 4, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
dem's clueless remark brought back memories to me about a book I read long ago by some Professor Durant, I believe, called The History of Philosophy.
In one particular section, the author presented the ancient and nascent trail of Nihilism, a form a Fatalism that was spreading throughout the Far East. A Chinese Emperor was very worried should this philosophy take hold inside China leaving it open to its enemies for none of its subjects would be willing to fight but only accept their fate if attacked.
The Emperor heard of the conversion of one of his servants to Nihilism. Curious, he sent for him to be interviewed. He wanted to know more about this Nihilism.
"If I were to steal all of your wealth and possessions, what would be your response?" asked the Emperor.
"I would have to accept my fate, your highness", he replied.
"And if I were to rape your wife and murder your children, what would be your response?" the Emperor pushed further.
"I would have to accept my fate, your highness", he replied. "It is the only path open to me"
Finally, the Emperor asked a more immediate question of the man. "What if I were to order the palace guards to break both of your knees right now leaving you crippled for life?" he inquired.
"I would have to accept my fate, your highness", he replied. "It is the only path open to me"
In disgust, the Emperor ordered his guards to do just that. He had the servant's legs broken at the knee joints.
I wonder how much dem treasures his knees?
Your posts remind me of a book I once read titled The Sociopath Next Door, by Martha Stout.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1090919 Mar 4, 2014
Economics

Social Science...

and the min wage...

What did raising the min wage do?

"That minimum-wage increases lead to higher dropout rates is exactly what Texas A&M economist Finis Welch found. Now that's a revelation, higher wages attract people into the workforce."

or...

"...minimum wage increases the number of high-school students who drop out, it makes getting a job and keeping it that much more difficult. It is no wonder then that the 1990 census showed that in Louisiana more than 70 percent of high school dropouts were out of work."

GED won't help...

"...those with GED's with no further education or training and those dropouts without a GED, on average, earn roughly the same incomes..."

http://www.nicholls.edu/mcoats/newopeds/minim...

Lapeer, MI

#1090920 Mar 4, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it part of your parole to avoid talking about little boys?
Isn't is part of your therapy to stop acting like one?

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1090921 Mar 4, 2014
Lil Olive Skin Kid wrote:
Agree, it was accurate. But, perhaps it is the why he "misunderstands" America, The Geopolitical World, that is the piece of the puzzle that has been missing.
I think Dinesh D'Souza did an excellent job in researching and laying out the missing pieces of the puzzle.
Brit Hume is always a Gentleman ...
Sink or Swim ... Well, true ... The Democrats don't seem to choose swimming with that albatross of an anchor around their political necks and take a chance at sinking their careers
<quoted text>
But they should be forced to swim with that albatross around their necks. They passed it. They forced it on everyone else. And if this president gets away with changing his own law at will on his own whim for political posturing and manipulation, there'd better be an outcry just short of storming the castle. Enough is truly enough.

Or we've all just become pansies of the state. And get what we deserve.
Raspy Putin

Edgerton, WI

#1090922 Mar 4, 2014
“I never dared be radical when young for fear it would make me conservative when old.’… Robert Frost

"That's Robert, of course, and has nothing whatever to do with me. If you get to be sufficiently radical at the outset and develop skills with girls and older women you need never fear becoming conservative."

Raspy Putin

Lapeer, MI

#1090923 Mar 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be difficult to find another statement like Hume's that was so accurate:
"I think that Barack Obama misunderstands the world, that he had limited experience of it and in it, and I think he has proved, as Oscar Goodman, the mayor of Las Vegas, said in another context, to be a very slow learner.”
I also think some have forgotten Obamacare is either going to sink or swim this year. Unless, of course, the wanna be king has decreed another delay in his own law because the Democrats are running away from it like bats out of hell for their political lives.
We are all waiting to hear the other shoe drop and the Magic Negro knows this so he keeps playing Musical Bedrooms until we stop following him around the cheap hotel.
Raspy Putin

Edgerton, WI

#1090924 Mar 4, 2014
Lil Olive Skin Kid wrote:
On your way to becoming more obnoxious ...
<quoted text>
Oh yeah! You're right about something at last!
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1090925 Mar 4, 2014
Min wage!!!!!

We have heard from the Social Scientists...

How about the people....

"An increase in the minimum wage to $5.15 an hour, as President Clinton proposes, would drive teenagers with few skills out of the workplace and out of the schools, say members of the African-American leadership group Project 21."

Enter greed...

"As this study shows, raising the minimum wage serves only to play into the hedonistic young adult's mindset of instant gratification, of always choosing now over later. Minimum wage increases are a prescription for underachievement because it gives young people the incentive to choose low-skill jobs over long-run human capital formalization," says Project 21 member C. Mason Weaver, Chairman of the Committee to Restore America (based in Oceanside, CA). Weaver continues, "the income sacrificed and skills forfeited by young people who do not graduate are the hidden costs associated with an increase in the minimum wage. This is an example of the President doing the politically expedient thing, not the economically right thing -- at the expense of the nation's long-run competitiveness."

http://www.nationalcenter.org/MinWage.html

Lapeer, MI

#1090926 Mar 4, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>hasn't really been that much, because....wait for it, DBwriter....Russia is a failed state and investments there are not secure.
It is more like *you* are in a failed state.

Where do you come up with these little stories?

Do you experience visions?
Nostrilis Waxman

Newington, CT

#1090927 Mar 4, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
This White House is going to lecture anyone on anti-corruption?
BWAAAAW HAAAAAAWWW HAAAAAAAAAAWWW
Unbelievable! What a joke!
Raspy Putin

Edgerton, WI

#1090928 Mar 4, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
In one particular section, the author presented the ancient and nascent trail of Nihilism, a form a Fatalism that was spreading throughout the Far East. A Chinese Emperor was very worried should this philosophy take hold inside China leaving it open to its enemies for none of its subjects would be willing to fight but only accept their fate if attacked.
The Emperor heard of the conversion of one of his servants to Nihilism. Curious, he sent for him to be interviewed. He wanted to know more about this Nihilism.
"If I were to steal all of your wealth and possessions, what would be your response?" asked the Emperor.
"And if I were to rape your wife and murder your children, what would be your response?" the Emperor pushed further.
Finally, the Emperor asked a more immediate question of the man. "What if I were to order the palace guards to break both of your knees right now leaving you crippled for life?" he inquired.
In disgust, the Emperor ordered his guards to do just that. He had the servant's legs broken at the knee joints.
Yessiree-bob, you republican ninnies sure know how to get the most out of the help I always say... Funny, they were chinee? but here's the problem, hiney-licker, a real nihilist wouldn't even have bothered to show up for work at a job taking care of some bureaucrat's fat useless ass. Old Chinese Proverb: "If you're dragged into court before an emperor make sure you bring a knife hidden in your sleeve. Secondly, if you are one of the ones doing the dragging, consider your value to your master."
Raspy Putin

Edgerton, WI

#1090929 Mar 4, 2014
On the other hand, it occurs to me that your chinee book excerpt brings Jesus to mind... doesn't it? Actually, I'm pretty sure the Romans broke HIS knees there at the end, acceding to the Jews' request and hastening his mild-mannered exit... and you know what? The son of God himself didn't do a goddam thing about it. Pussy. How do you explain that? Why didn't your number 1 hero just jump down off the cross and duke it out with the "enemy" sojurs?
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1090930 Mar 4, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Sevastopol.(Is it "sev-es-TO-pol"?) ;-)
Sergeant__S-E-R-G-E-A-N-T__wei rd how phonics works eh fkface???

Colonel is also sort of strange as is corporal__maybe they do that to trick up stooges like you.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1090931 Mar 4, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
We're sometimes left wondering if the majority on the left believe anything is worth fighting and dying for.

If they lost their freedoms for just one day or thrown into a gulag for just one minute, they'd be suiting up and applying the war paint. They just can't seem to get past their complacency or that their own freedoms aren't free and that nothing is guaranteed to stay the same.
It's too late once freedom is taken away and too often that's taken for granted by far too many on the left who can't seem to recognize progressive liberalism is attempting to do that.

What's even more worrisome is that they don't seem to mind as long as it's not their freedoms and as long as they're standing on what they think is the right side but is the wrong side of history.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Martin 29,762
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr Pietro Armando 201,810
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr I Am No One_ 309,866
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr thetruth 239,089
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 8 hr Timotion 7
Jayhawks dance team #1 13 hr Jeff 1
News Festus Ezeli and the long, strange trip to the NBA 13 hr tom wingo 2
More from around the web