Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1478930 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1081145 Feb 16, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, believe it or not, they issued draft cards before the first draw. I know that seems like quite a bit of advanced planning, when compared to today's government, but that's the way it was.
Give it up. You have been proven to be a fraud. The issuing of a draft card had absolutely nothing to do with when someone's number was up.

FACT: There was no such thing as a "low number" prior to 1969. All men 18 1/2 through 25 years old, were classified 1-A and were drafted oldest first unless they had a deferment. Just because someone had a draft card didn't mean they knew when they would be drafted. They just sat in limbo during the entire time they were within the draft-eligible age group.(Although certainly, if you couldn't afford college it was a good bet you'd end up in the military.)

I can remember protests against the draft in 1965 when the number to be drafted was increased from about 3,000 a month to 33,000 a month but no one had any idea when they would receive an induction notice. It was the luck of the draw.

After 1969, the draft was based on the draw of birth dates:

December 1, 1969, "366 blue plastic capsules containing birth dates were placed in a large glass jar and drawn by hand to assign order-of-call numbers to all men within the 18-26 age range specified in Selective Service law.

With radio, film and TV coverage, the capsules were drawn from the jar, opened, and the dates inside posted in order. The first capsule - drawn by Congressman Alexander Pirine (R-NY) of the House Armed Services Committee - contained the date September 14, so all men born on September 14 in any year between 1944 and 1950 were assigned lottery number 1. The drawing continued until all days of the year had been matched to lottery numbers."

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/deploymentscon...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1081146 Feb 16, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>lying scum alert!! watch for lying scum from this area!
surprised you have the balls to show your face again...but then you do seem too stupid to actually understand what a scum you are...
We were alerted to you a long time ago. Now GFY if you can figure out how. I understand Leo can give you directive.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1081147 Feb 16, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
We had to register for the draft by our 18th birthday. That's when you got your selective service number and lottery number. I turned 18 in April of '68 and enlisted before the end of the year.
Nope. That's not the way it worked. There were no "lottery numbers" prior to December, 1969. NONE. You are a liar.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
dem

Chicago, IL

#1081148 Feb 16, 2014
Enoch Plays With Dem wrote:
<quoted text>
5 years later and you're still dreaming of Craig.
He must have really worked you over.
Tic Toc Tic Toc
Enoch is dead you silly old fk.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

United States

#1081149 Feb 16, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>yeah none of the O'bama son's murder each other in Chicago because of drugs either. One down. Of course what difference does it make if a black face kills a black face, they were inspiring dancers-they were good boys. Just like the black faced girl--Hadiya Pendleton that the O'bamas used. She was hanging out with GDs when she was killed-but of course her being black and all the O'bama's used her as an example. Ever wonder why all the black faces go on TV and cry and let the media cover their grief?

crying white face.

Dunn showed no emotion as the verdicts were read. But afterwards, he turned to his lawyer, Cory Strolla, and asked, "How is this happening?"

"Obviously, my client is devastated at the outcome. Never saw it coming one bit,"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

and didn't FOX use Zimmerman in their race baiting campaign? or most any white guy who beat the overwhelming odds of being killed by another white guy? though i can never tell which FOX likes the most; the killers or the killed.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1081151 Feb 16, 2014
Nostrils Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
How sweet! You are talking to a devious person with affection.
What a wonderful reflection on who you are.
What's devious? Posting under unregistered screen names? If you think that is so underhanded, why do you do it? The poster is skillful not necessarily "devious". I really don't understand your point of view. I don't view either of you as deceitful, dishonest, unethical, unprincipled, immoral, unscrupulous, fraudulent, dubious, unfair, treacherous, duplicitous etc, etc, etc. You are just two people who are protective of your personal information and choose not to register.
new yawk

East Amherst, NY

#1081152 Feb 16, 2014
Hi USA ... I caught part of that interview and agree.
What business is it of Romney's. What's he concerned Russia's Opening Ceremony out did his. I thought it was a beautiful ceremony.
And it's been a very well done Olympics. The Athletes don't seem to be complaining.
Like he even knows what poverty is ...

Jealousy & Hatred ...

Yep, same nonsense on this thread. Hatred, hostility, mean spiritedness, ugly, nasty people.

Nope ... Nothing's changed. It's getting worse. I stayed gone for 6 months ... Another 6,months, a year, for good !?!..;-)

Glad I got to say Hello to you.

Take Care ...

USA wrote:
Well, I skipped over about 1,000 posts but I can tell by skimming that nothing has changed. Conservatives are still brain dead.

I listened to Romney on Meet The Press this morning. What a crank.

He criticized Russia for spending $50 billion dollars on the Olympics. Claiming that most of that money could be spent fighting poverty and disease (like he cares about poverty and disease). He's just a typical Republican who parrots conservative media.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1081153 Feb 16, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot the words allegedly, in regards to ms Pendleton, racist Jew kkkhunt.
Actually, police confirmed that "the shooter mistook the teens for gang members." The Kvetch always ignores any piece of a story that doesn't fit into that jigsaw she calls a brain.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1081154 Feb 16, 2014
new yawk wrote:
Hi USA ... I caught part of that interview and agree.
What business is it of Romney's. What's he concerned Russia's Opening Ceremony out did his. I thought it was a beautiful ceremony.
And it's been a very well done Olympics. The Athletes don't seem to be complaining.
Like he even knows what poverty is ...
Jealousy & Hatred ...
Yep, same nonsense on this thread. Hatred, hostility, mean spiritedness, ugly, nasty people.
Nope ... Nothing's changed. It's getting worse. I stayed gone for 6 months ... Another 6,months, a year, for good !?!..;-)
Glad I got to say Hello to you.
Take Care ...
USA wrote:
Well, I skipped over about 1,000 posts but I can tell by skimming that nothing has changed. Conservatives are still brain dead.
I listened to Romney on Meet The Press this morning. What a crank.
He criticized Russia for spending $50 billion dollars on the Olympics. Claiming that most of that money could be spent fighting poverty and disease (like he cares about poverty and disease). He's just a typical Republican who parrots conservative media.
Glad to see you here. If I didn't like my TV so much, I would have thrown something into the screen when Romney was speaking. He's such a phony.

The hatred and hostility of a few on this forum really is amazing. There are, however, a couple of conservatives who have toned down their nastiness, name calling and use of profanity. Others just seem to be born missing a gene which separates them from normal human beings.
sonicfilter

United States

#1081155 Feb 16, 2014
Michael Dunn Trial: White Fear Matters More Than Black Lives

A Florida jury failed to convict yet another man for killing an unarmed black teenager. By their logic, Michael Dunn should have kept shooting and never asked questions.

Let's say you wanted to kill a black teenager. The reason doesn't matter. Maybe they looked too suspicious while walking home, or maybe they just wouldn't obey when you gave them a command. The goal, however, is to make the kill without getting convicted.

Well, if there's anything to take away from the trial of Michael Dunn, it's that—in the state of Florida—this is possible. You just need to be more thorough than Dunn could manage in his initial rage, when he killed Davis for being a "thug" who wouldn't bend to his will.

First, let's look at the trial. Yes, assuming a tough judge, the 47-year-old Dunn will go to prison for the rest of his life. But he won't be going to prison for Davis's death. On the charge of first degree murder in the killing of the unarmed teenager, the jury couldn't come to a decision. Indeed, if Dunn is facing a jail cell at all, it's because the jury found him guilty of attempted murder in the case of Davis' friends—after killing Davis, Dunn fired more shots into the vehicle. The jury has held him for shooting at three teenagers, but not for killing the fourth.

With that said, there's another way to look at this. If Dunn had killed Davis and his friends—or if he had killed Davis without shooting afterwards—then, by to the logic of the jury, he would have escaped punishment altogether. Which provides a guide, of sorts, for future killers, racist or otherwise. Claim fear, kill your target, and either do so away from people, or be sure to kill any witnesses. As long as you can portray the witnesses as also threatening, it seems like you could avoid jail time.

Which, you know, is insane, both in what it says about Florida's “Stand Your Ground” law—your best bet for getting away with murder is to shoot first and kill everyone—and what it says about the value of black lives vis-à-vis the state's legal system. According to the criminal justice system of Florida, you are right to fear African-American men, and if you decide to act on that fear with violence, then you stand a good chance of avoiding conviction, on account of a jury that—more likely than not—will sympathize with your fear.

The facts back this up. In states with “Stand Your Ground,” homicides with a white perpetrator and a black victim are most likely to be ruled "justifiable." By contrast, it is least likely—by a factor of ten—for black on white homicides to receive the same designation.

In fairness to Florida, it's not as if this—white fear as an adjudicating factor for black life—is a new thing. It's the force behind the lynching epidemic of the early 20th century, the racial terrorism of the 1920s, and the economic assaults—riots and redlining—of the post-war period. And for all of the real problems of the current moment, there was a belief that we had put that behind us. Which is one reason why this case is so jarring. No,“Stand Your Ground” isn't as egregious as the worst of Jim Crow, but there's no denying that it harkens to a time when you could shoot first and never ask questions, as long as the victim was a black person.

I think I speak for many black people when I say that's terrifying.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02...
dem

Chicago, IL

#1081156 Feb 16, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, police confirmed that "the shooter mistook the teens for gang members." The Kvetch always ignores any piece of a story that doesn't fit into that jigsaw she calls a brain.
Oh I know.
I was at her one year memorial.
new yawk

East Amherst, NY

#1081157 Feb 16, 2014
I felt, be happy for Our Athletes ... It's been a successful Olympics.
But, sour grapes shows up.

You handled that poster with grace. I only mention it, because under the new yawk screen name, she wrote something not very nice about you and I didn't appreciate that.
Maybe you saw it, maybe not. Rather you hadn't. It was a low thing to do considering "to your face" she is always foo-fooing you. You know me. I'm not much for pretense.

That's what N Waxman was referring to.

Anyway ...

There are a few people who are decent, civil. But like you said when we last spoke, "crazies" and "nutters" ... And I agreed. Missing a few genes?
More like a whole link in the chain !!! I know the debil is.
Now posting and conversing with you under Tactitus ...
And has caused a lot of upset on this thread. It hasn't been appreciated.

I know you wouldn't compromise your values on what is deceitful, devious and the like.

PS I love my UGGHS too. They're so ugly, but so comfortable and cozy ...
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to see you here. If I didn't like my TV so much, I would have thrown something into the screen when Romney was speaking. He's such a phony.
The hatred and hostility of a few on this forum really is amazing. There are, however, a couple of conservatives who have toned down their nastiness, name calling and use of profanity. Others just seem to be born missing a gene which separates them from normal human beings.

Since: Feb 14

Waukesha, WI

#1081158 Feb 16, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
The facts back this up. In states with “Stand Your Ground,” homicides with a white perpetrator and a black victim are most likely to be ruled "justifiable." By contrast, it is least likely—by a factor of ten—for black on white homicides to receive the same designation.
In fairness to Florida, it's not as if this—white fear as an adjudicating factor for black life—is a new thing. It's the force behind the lynching epidemic of the early 20th century, the racial terrorism of the 1920s, and the economic assaults—riots and redlining—of the post-war period. And for all of the real problems of the current moment, there was a belief that we had put that behind us. Which is one reason why this case is so jarring. No,“Stand Your Ground” isn't as egregious as the worst of Jim Crow, but there's no denying that it harkens to a time when you could shoot first and never ask questions, as long as the victim was a black person.
I think I speak for many black people when I say that's terrifying.
A young black man thinks it's hilarious to smash the head of an old lady and knock her out.
Another shoots a man in front of his wife just to steal their car.
Another rapes a young girl living in his neighborhood while a small child is fatally shot in the crossfire of a gang shootout.
These often fatherless school dropouts frequently land in jail because they do not live in a culture that provides them with the guidance they need to make positive life choices. The culprit, we are told, is racism: that whites oppress blacks, preventing them from accessing opportunities that will allow them to rise above their circumstances. Yet, black Americans are successful at the highest levels of government, education, the military, pop culture, and the professions.
Rather than rage against whitey, black communities need to be strengthened from within and accept that young black men end up in prison for the crimes they commit -- usually in their own communities -- not because of the color of their skin.
anonymous ferrerman

Glen Ellyn, IL

#1081159 Feb 16, 2014
Ya know, if I were on that trial in Florida it would be a hung jury. I say that because I'm rather well endowed. But, that's not important right now or even necessarily true.

The point is, hello fellow America-loving patriots- dem, USAsince1680, New Yawk and Yeah and anyone else I might have missed!

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#1081160 Feb 16, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah won the 2013 National Fleet Squirt Gun Competition
They were all a bunch of azzholes:)
good one, I think he posted a picture of himself in his wheelchair down at the docks waiting for the Fleet on facebook.

“you know i know”

denver

#1081161 Feb 16, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Another defender of oil industry subsidies.
Obviously, subsidies through the tax code is done by Congress. The idea you seem surprised shows just how uninformed you are.
I suppose I should expect as much from those that think Mitt Romney needs a subsidy.
3 things would surprise me

1. winning the lottery

2 sleeping with Jennifer Anniston

3 you not acting like a complete idiot.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1081162 Feb 16, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and yet here i did just give you a link..
and what post of mine have you ever proved to be a lie, let alone incorrect?!?!
after hundreds of requests from me for even one you still haven't produced squat! and i show your bullshit for what it is all the time!
i'm just smacking your pussy little ass all over the place here, pal, and there ain't nothing you can do about it...just lay down and take it, little boy...too stupid to even defend yourself...what a shame of a human you are!
smack smackity-smack!
"Nostrilis"
Have you ever noticed that left wing losers, president nobama, arse kisser, "woodendick0000" are always claiming they slap folks around. "woodendick0000" is a liar and a phoney. He claims to be a conservative. A flat out lie.
Peace

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1081163 Feb 16, 2014
In_Cold_Blood wrote:
<quoted text>
A young black man thinks it's hilarious to smash the head of an old lady and knock her out.
Another shoots a man in front of his wife just to steal their car.
Another rapes a young girl living in his neighborhood while a small child is fatally shot in the crossfire of a gang shootout.
These often fatherless school dropouts frequently land in jail because they do not live in a culture that provides them with the guidance they need to make positive life choices. The culprit, we are told, is racism: that whites oppress blacks, preventing them from accessing opportunities that will allow them to rise above their circumstances. Yet, black Americans are successful at the highest levels of government, education, the military, pop culture, and the professions.
Rather than rage against whitey, black communities need to be strengthened from within and accept that young black men end up in prison for the crimes they commit -- usually in their own communities -- not because of the color of their skin.
If only more people were saying this, maybe the message would get through.

Real hope and encouragement is long overdue.

School choice and a decent education would be the first indication of real hope.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1081164 Feb 16, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>never been in a union..(well, as dishwasher for a year or two in jr. high...local something something of restaraunt workers...)
i worked in heavy equipment operations as my second career. a heavily union industry and our non union ship went from one of the largest in the state to the largest in our industry...
sorry dear...once again you make an ass of yourself with your ignorance...
"Nostrilis"
"woodendick" failed to mention the piece of heavy equipment he operated was his being on the business end of a Mexican steamshovel.
Peace

“you know i know”

denver

#1081165 Feb 16, 2014
DBWaiter wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like an effective business plan to me.
44% of those with AIDS are black males, Lilly has slept with most of them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 32,711
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 10,654
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sun RiccardoFire 201,892
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Sun cpeter1313 313,187
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sun Rosa_Winkel 258,461
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Jan 14 Buffalo Bull 74
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Dec 20 san isidro company 42
More from around the web