Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1346943 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

M Stein

New York, NY

#1075981 Feb 7, 2014
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
Signs the Progressive 'if we give corporate people money they will stimulate the economy' economy is on fire!
'Volvo to cut thousands of jobs'
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-...
Pelosi will be thrilled! Thousands of new poets, freed from the shackles of well-paying jobs!!!
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1075982 Feb 7, 2014
More from the Social Sciences on what happens when you give people free stuff for not working...

"Second, our analysis of accurate administrative data from 12 states indicates that a one week increase in potential benefit duration increases the average duration of the unemployment spells of UI recipients by 0.16 to 0.20 weeks."

Katz LF, Meyer BD. The Impact of the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits on the Duration of Unemployment. Journal of Public Economics [Internet]. 1990;41(1):45-72.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#1075983 Feb 7, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>So turns out you agree with me then, when you take their quote in it's entirety.
whose quote?
TSM

El Paso, TX

#1075984 Feb 7, 2014
Will this latest Economic News persuade Obama to approve the Keystone XL project?

The private service sector had a dreadful month. The retail industry lost 12,900 jobs in January and, for the second straight month, the once-booming healthcare sector was flat. Adding to the hiring woes, federal, state and local governments all cut back for a total loss of 29,000 jobs!!

Obama told the American People he was Focus like a Laser on Jobs, judging by the current economic news I guess that promise Expired?

Minnesota's North Coast

#1075985 Feb 7, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>So turns out you agree with me then, when you take their quote in it's entirety.
sorry i cut that off...

whose quote? and what would that have to do with anything i said? just focus on what i said , as that is what i meant.

why can't you do the same?

minimum wage jobs have never been meant to be living wage jobs.

Since: May 11

Landisburg, PA

#1075987 Feb 7, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>have other wages kept up with inflation?
there ya go....
Ave Hourly in 968 $3

Ave hour in 2013 over 20

$3 with inflation -$20.08

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1075988 Feb 7, 2014
Gotta go to work this afternoon because Obama thinks it's fair I help feed someone's 15 kids with 6 different fathers.

Because it wasn't their fault. And liberals have no idea where the line is between being compassionate and gullible.

Maybe if Obama were delivering a different message to prevent those 15 kids with 6 different fathers, it might seem less "unfair'. But his message is someone has to pay so my party gets their votes and working is optional because I could care less about job growth but, rather, about controlling people through health care.

Later.

Minnesota's North Coast

#1075990 Feb 7, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's see...he's taken away my freedom of choice about my own health care provider and applauded CVS for taking away others' freedom of choice to smoke even e-cigarettes when he was until very recently a smoker himself. He gave me no choice in how much more he took out of my paycheck last year and my husband's this year and next to pay for his failed policies. And if it were up to him, he'd take away my freedom of choice to have a gun to defend myself.
So the old adage, "the government can give but it can also take away" must be etched on a plaque somewhere in the Oval Office.
wow! still posting lies after being called out as a proven liar time and time again...guess you just cannot control yourself, huh?

how is your choice of health care provider compromised? you can still choose whomever you want? why do you need to lie about this?

no-one's choice to smoke has been compromised. not in any way at all. why do you feel the need to lie about this also?

is your lying pathological? perhaps that is why you got fired and not because you were too old to do your job anymore...

Minnesota's North Coast

#1075992 Feb 7, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Ave Hourly in 968 $3
Ave hour in 2013 over 20
ooooooookay...

avi minimum 968.57 @8
tri minute bce 1087under the speed of light free of gravitational influences...
buy one get on free for 3 1978 dollars!

did either one of our posts make any sense at all?

Since: May 11

Landisburg, PA

#1075993 Feb 7, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how is buying stock in a company not investing in it?
please enlighten me on this?
you keep saying this yet the real world flies in the face of your posts...
When you call up your broker & buy 50 shares of Mancungie Baloney Factory stock that I told him to sell from my portfolio, how did that invest in the Mancungie Baloney Factory?

Minnesota's North Coast

#1075994 Feb 7, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Ave Hourly in 968 $3
Ave hour in 2013 over 20
lets see if i can decipher this mess....

don't worry, i make badly composed or typed posts all the time...i'm just messing with you as you are adult enough to take it...but it did take me a while to figure this one out...

what was the minimum wage in 1968?(did i decipher that correctly?)
dumdemsmama

Palm Coast, FL

#1075995 Feb 7, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Galts a fkn idiot. Much like you.
Willfully ignorant racist jagoffs like you receive no quarter.
fknidiotignorantracistjagoffno strilfckfaceforsure say what? LOL
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1075996 Feb 7, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's see...he's taken away my freedom of choice about my own health care provider and applauded CVS for taking away others' freedom of choice to smoke even e-cigarettes when he was until very recently a smoker himself. He gave me no choice in how much more he took out of my paycheck last year and my husband's this year and next to pay for his failed policies. And if it were up to him, he'd take away my freedom of choice to have a gun to defend myself.
So the old adage, "the government can give but it can also take away" must be etched on a plaque somewhere in the Oval Office.
So, you think that President Obama ordered CVS not to sell cigarettes? President Obama banned E cigarettes? Oh really?
President Obama took money out of your paycheck? Oh really?

You're totally off your rocker and a liar.

Minnesota's North Coast

#1075997 Feb 7, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
When you call up your broker & buy 50 shares of Mancungie Baloney Factory stock that I told him to sell from my portfolio, how did that invest in the Mancungie Baloney Factory?
i am not stupid enough to tell my investor what to do...that is why he does his job and why i do mine.

are you familiar with Roy Smalley? the world series champion baseball player? he is my investment manager...

i do give him parameters on what kinds of businesses and what types investments i want to make and he takes it from there...very successfully, i might add...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1075998 Feb 7, 2014
Homer wrote:
As president Homer would get rid of the minimum wage and replace it with a living wage. Everyone feel better now?
Minimum wage intention, stfu, it was set up so employers would have to pay next to nothing as opposed to just plain nothing.
Terrific insight Homer. But__the minimum wage was a way, an ingenious way I might add, to get more of the nations employees on paper aka among the taxpaying workforce.

Many in my age group recall that first little paycheck with a few buck$ taken out for Uncle Sam and maybe bit more for the state. I'm told that it was a WTF moment that some never recovered from___stealing they called it and still do.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1075999 Feb 7, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Benghazi? bwwaaaaahaaaaaa! Have a cigarrette
What's funny (and sad) is you think this is really over. What's scary is how desperately you want to think it is.

Any reason why Panetta hasn't come out of hiding by now and put this to rest once and for all? All he'd have to say in front of one camera is, "I did not tell the president Benghazi was under a terrorist attack within minutes after it began that night."

But he's nowhere to be found - like he suddenly disappeared.

Could it possibly be he may not want to be found? Because he might have to be truthful and say otherwise? And his simply telling the truth would bring down this presidency?

That's a pretty good reason to remain in hiding if you ask me...considering who your enemies would be at that point.
sonicfilter

Noblesville, IN

#1076000 Feb 7, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>in fact they did. our economy did improve.
it most certainly was not the tax cuts that busted our economy later on...you know this.
did you say something?

i hear a lot of noise....

Minnesota's North Coast

#1076001 Feb 7, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
Gotta go to work this afternoon because Obama thinks it's fair I help feed someone's 15 kids with 6 different fathers.
Because it wasn't their fault. And liberals have no idea where the line is between being compassionate and gullible.
Maybe if Obama were delivering a different message to prevent those 15 kids with 6 different fathers, it might seem less "unfair'. But his message is someone has to pay so my party gets their votes and working is optional because I could care less about job growth but, rather, about controlling people through health care.
Later.
just another lie, Lois? hard to believe anything you say at all after so many proven lies...

perhaps you mean you have to go apply for more welfare after being fired from your job?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1076002 Feb 7, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
Later.
A person who works for $15.00 an hour isn't paying for anyone elses anything you liar.
You probably don't even make that now with your new job; you are working those jobs because you failed to prepare for retirement and your husband doesn't make enough to support you.

You want the President of the United States to dictate human behavior? Do you know anything; anything at all about how our government works?
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1076003 Feb 7, 2014
Progressives and their handouts....

"Extended UI benefits in the aftermath of the Great Recession raised the average duration of unemployment by 7 percent and caused the unemployment rate to increase by 0.4 percentage points"

http://www.nber.org/digest/oct13/w19048.html

Faber, H. & Robert Valletta.(2013).'Do Extended Unemployment Benefits Lengthen Unemployment Spells? Evidence from Recent Cycles in the U.S. Labor Market?' NBER Working Paper No. 19048

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 40 min Fast Frank 8,658
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 43 min It aint necessari... 253,540
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Kathwynn 310,655
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Bruins 31,890
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 14 hr You Lost 201,846
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 7 Mary 284
News IU ranked 13th, Butler 16th (Dec '07) Feb 3 Fart news 89
More from around the web