Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1263857 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1069963 Jan 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
New GOP Plan Makes Everything They Hate About Obamacare Even Worse
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/gop-obamacare...
they always make things worse.
the bill repeals ObamaKKKare, the only possible solution to a completely unworkable law....
Lcn

United States

#1069964 Jan 28, 2014
Jan 28 (Reuters)- President Barack Obama will lay out a strategy for getting around a divided Congress and boosting middle-class prosperity on Tuesday in a State of the Union speech that reflects scaled-back legislative ambitions after a difficult year.

Obama will make clear in his 9 p.m. address that he is willing to bypass U.S. lawmakers and go it alone in some areas by announcing a series of executive actions that do not require congressional approval.

The White House said Obama would announce he is issuing an executive order to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for federal contract workers with new contracts.

In his address, Obama will also call on Congress to pass a bill to increase the federal minimum wage for all workers to $10.10 an hour from $7.25 and index that to inflation.

The executive order raising the level for federal workers, which applies to new contracts or existing contracts in which terms are being changed, will take effect at the beginning of next year, with janitors and construction workers among the beneficiaries. Issuing the order allows Obama to bypass Congress, where Republicans oppose a broad increase in the minimum wage.

White House officials said Obama would also announce new executive actions on retirement security and job training to help middle-class workers expand economic opportunity.

"What you'll hear in the speech tonight is very concrete, realistic proposals as it relates to wages, as it relates to education, as it relates to training, high-tech manufacturing, retirement security, those are the things that he's focused on," White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough said on NBC's "Today Show."

With three years left in office, Obama has effectively reduced for now his ambitions for grand legislative actions.

Obama is expected to renew his appeal for a long-stalled immigration overhaul that has been stymied by Republicans. He will promote his signature healthcare law, four months after its disastrous initial rollout.

White House officials said the president would try to work with Congress to accomplish his agenda, but would also try to advance it through executive actions if necessary.

"We will continue to call on Congress - both sides of the aisle - to come up with new and fresh ideas for how we can grow our economy and create opportunities for the American people, but we aren't going to stop at that," White House senior advisor Valerie Jarrett said on MSNBC'S "Morning Joe."

Congressional Republicans expressed ...

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1069965 Jan 28, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>You have to admit what kind of man was Bill Clinton? he was a predator on young women. And what kind of stupid woman would put up with a man that screwed a bunch of women while being married to him-that stupid broad's name is Hillary "doormat" Clinton. It does lend credence that Hillary Clinton is a not what she says she is. Women just aren't as dumb as Hillary in that situation.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The Clintons are a perfect example.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1069966 Jan 28, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
Former NFL punter Chris Kluwe rips Christian fundamentalists who want to turn U.S. into Iran
Fundamentalism is never a good thing in history,” he said.“Fundamentalism leads to really terrible things, and so my position has always been: I don’t have any problem whatsoever with religion, I have no problem whatsoever with whatever your beliefs are, all I care about are your actions. What do you actions say about you as a person? Because that is the only way any of us can ever judge each other.”
Kluwe warned that if fundamentalism was unchecked, the United States could see a form of government like the Iranian theocracy. He said that many Christian fundamentalists were “terrified” of Islamic Sharia law being imposed within the United States, yet wanted to turn the United States into a “Christian theocracy.”
“You can’t say no to this theocracy and then try to impose your own theocracy. That doesn’t make sense,” Kluwe remarked.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/27/former-...
another washed-up athlete exploiting homosexuality to try to stay relevant....
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1069967 Jan 28, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that would be you, Lily...and your fellow race baiters who resort to the basest of behaviors just to get your own way.
My desire is that you - and all liberals - will find the common sense you lost somewhere along the way. Also, I'm just sick and tired of all the nonsense you and they have created.
You only hate conservatives because we strive to aspire to a higher standard. What does that say about you, Lily?
Is it because you simply can't tolerate anyone who tries to aspire to a higher standard or is it because we refuse to fall prostate before your chosen golden calves?
So it's not me who needs to look in the mirror. It's you, I'm afraid. I'm on the side of what is right and good - the side who respects women for their strengths and not their weaknesses, who wants to lift the bottom up instead of bringing the top down, and who wants to cherish some of the traditional values that makes us a good and decent society by looking to something greater than ourselves rather than our selfish and self-centered natures.
I'm just trying to shine a little light into the darkness. But the darkness hates the light, according to scripture. You probably hate that too.
No one is a race baiter; but, you are a racist.
What higher standard would that be? Spending 5 years staring at photoshopped naked photos of the Presidents late mother? Disparaging his parentage? You have no standards; you have stooped to the lowest depths of desperation in your seething hate of President Obama; and, it is because he is black. We've been reading your posts for 5 years. We get it
So, you can stuff your lofty proclamations filled with hollowness.
Your party is the anti women party, the racist party, the anti gay party, the anti immigration party, the anti veteran party. You are doomed. So suffer. There's nothing good or decent about you; you wallow in darkness, it's you and don't give me that scripture bullshyt either.
It's sickening.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1069968 Jan 28, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Tom Coburn lost his doctor because his own Republican party insisted that members of congress lose their insurance. He can thank Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley for proposing the amendment to the ACA that required members of Congress and their staffs to purchase health insurance though state exchanges. No one to blame but himself.
Let's see if I have this right. Coburn lost his insurance because of ObamaKare, and it's Coburn's fault.
Did I get that right, you moron?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1069969 Jan 28, 2014
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
and thank goodness for TERM LIMITS in duh office of duh poitus of Uhmareickuh!!!!!!
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHRISTIE/Biden/Ryan/Paul/Napal itano et al 2016!
Working class T.E.A.!!!!!!!!!
REAL CONSTITUTIONAL leadership for ALL of America again(Not just some)-and NOT divide, DRAIN, and commieTic WHINE and sue against it!!
don't count your chickens...

Moochelle can run to provide a third Obama term....

and the left will dump Hillary in a flash...

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1069970 Jan 28, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Illegal immigrants don't count!
... er, illegal aliens.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1069971 Jan 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Mitt Romney clarifies Vladimir Putin comments
While he said he thinks it’s clear that Obama “has been outmaneuvered on the world stage” by Putin, the former Republican presidential candidate added that Putin is a “terrible president” and a “thug.”
“But by the way, President Putin is a terrible president,” Romney said.“He’s a thug. He’s killed, from what we can tell — I don’t know that I want to accuse him of killing — but there have been members of the media that have disappeared and opposition voices that disappeared and been put in jail and so forth.”
“This is not a good guy,” Romney added.“Our president’s a lot better president than President Putin, but it breaks my heart to watch President Putin outmaneuver him on the world stage.”
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/mitt-ro...
the tea party communists will not be happy.
btw,,,that interview was on FOX. i guess they thought they couldn't get away with shutting off Mitt's mic.
Romney continues his pathetic history of being soft on Obama...refusing to call a spade a spade...

Orlando, FL

#1069972 Jan 28, 2014
Lcn wrote:
<quoted text>
Auntie Galt - "incompetent, lazy, and indifferent" but still posting
LOL
You're in the same spot as PDupont though. A tiddly wink in the pot.

I must say though, you have been one of the biggest disappointments. You seem like such a reasonable, intelligent and compassionate person when you're not posting one liners that contribute nothing and end up proving me wrong - about you, I mean.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1069973 Jan 28, 2014
flack wrote:
Here are a few facts to bear in mind when we’re all regaled about Obama’s ‘historic’ presidency at his State of the Union address:
The Number Of Americans That Have Joined The Food Stamp Program Since
Obama Took Office: 19.4 Million.
The Number Of People Unemployed At The End Of Obama’s Fifth Year As
President: 10.4 Million.
The Number Of People Working Part-Time That Would Like To Work Full-Time: 7.8 Million.
The Number Of People That Have Entered Poverty Since 2008: 6.7 Million.
Americans Who Received Cancellation Notices For Their Health Plans
Due To ObamaCare After Obama Promised They Could Keep Their Plans In His 2010 State Of The Union Address: 5 Million.
The Number Of Americans Struggling With Long-Term Unemployment Of 27 Weeks Or Over: 3.9 Million.
The Increase In Americans Struggling With Long-Term Unemployment Since Obama Became President: 1.2 Million.
Construction Jobs (aka “Shovel-Ready Jobs”) Lost Since Obama Took Office: 721,000.
Manufacturing Jobs Lost Since Obama Took Office: 528,000.
The Number Of People That Left The Labor Force In December: 347,000.
The Debt Per Capita For Americans At The End Of 2013:$54,688.
Average Student Debt For A College Graduate:$29,400
The Increase In Debt Per Capita For Americans Since Obama Took Office:$19,661
The Decline In Median House Hold Income Since Obama Became President:$3,827.
Increase In Family Health Care Premiums Under Obama, Despite His Claim
That ObamaCare Would Reduce Premiums During His 2010 State Of The Union
Address (Subsidies Being Irrelevant):$3,671.
The Last Time The Labor Force Participation Rate Was At Its Current level: 1978.
Increase In The Average Price Per Gallon Of Gas Since Obama Took Office: 79%.
The Percent Of Unemployed That Are 18-34 Year Olds: 46%.
Average Number Of Weeks Someone Will Be Unemployed: 37.
Poverty Rate In 2012 – An Increase From 13.2 Percent The Year Before
Obama Became President: 15%.
The Number Of Times Obama Has Pivoted To The Economy: 14.
The Number of New Ideas Expected From Obama’s 2014 State Of The Union
Address: 0.
These are just some of the “fun facts” that come via RNC research, and they are based on government and third-party figures. Historic, huh?
The Bush Legacy continues...We'll get there Flack, we are about 1/2 way
Lcn

United States

#1069974 Jan 28, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that would be you, Lily...and your fellow race baiters who resort to the basest of behaviors just to get your own way.
My desire is that you - and all liberals - will find the common sense you lost somewhere along the way. Also, I'm just sick and tired of all the nonsense you and they have created.
You only hate conservatives because we strive to aspire to a higher standard. What does that say about you, Lily?
Is it because you simply can't tolerate anyone who tries to aspire to a higher standard or is it because we refuse to fall prostate before your chosen golden calves?
So it's not me who needs to look in the mirror. It's you, I'm afraid. I'm on the side of what is right and good - the side who respects women for their strengths and not their weaknesses, who wants to lift the bottom up instead of bringing the top down, and who wants to cherish some of the traditional values that makes us a good and decent society by looking to something greater than ourselves rather than our selfish and self-centered natures.
I'm just trying to shine a little light into the darkness. But the darkness hates the light, according to scripture. You probably hate that too.
The Amusement Park is Open

Auntie Carol will lecture from the right wing of the stage.

Reduced price for the Hall of Mirrors "So it's not me who needs to look in the mirror. It's you" LOL

Fortune cookies read "we strive to aspire to a higher standard" given with Weapon of Mass Destruction Aprons.

For the kiddies enter "the search for the missing birth certificate"

Adults only .... Naked Pictures of ....

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1069975 Jan 28, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete Seeger was one of the first (if not the first) in the grassroots folk music that inspired artists like Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul and Mary.
I'm forgetting some - but he was sort of like the founding father of popular folk music in the 60s and 70s and well-admired by those who appreciated this music, myself included.
Well said, Carol You do have redeeming value.

I attended his 90th Birthday Clearwater Concert!!

It was wonderful, a complete who's who in the folk music world.

The DVD is available on Amazon, worth any price.

""Featuring: Pete Seeger &#9642; Bruce Springsteen &#9642; Dave Matthews &#9642; John Mellencamp &#9642; Ani DiFranco &#9642; Arlo Guthrie &#9642; Béla Fleck &#9642; Ben Bridwell &#9642; Ben Harper &#9642; Billy Nershi &#9642; Billy Bragg &#9642; Bruce Cockburn &#9642; Del McCoury &#9642; Emmylou Harris &#9642; Joan Baez &#9642; Keller Williams &#9642; Kris Kristofferson &#9642; Michael Franti &#9642; Patterson Hood &#9642; Preservation Hall Jazz Band &#9642; Ramblin’ Jack Elliott &#9642; Richie Havens &#9642; Roger McGuinn &#9642; Rufus Wainwright &#9642; Steve Earle &#9642; Taj Mahal &#9642; Tony Morello &#9642; Tyler Ramsey &#9642; Warren Haynes &#9642; Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet &#9642; Bernice Johnson Reagon &#9642; Dar Williams &#9642; Eric Weissberg &#9642; Guy Davis &#9642; Jay Ungar & Molly Mason &#9642; Congressman John Hall &#9642; Kate & Anna McGarrigle &#9642; Larry Long &#9642; Martha Wainwright &#9642; Mike & Rudy Merenda &#9642; Native American Cultural Alliance &#9642; NYC Labor Chorus &#9642; Oscar the Grouch &#9642; Peggy Seeger &#9642; Ruby Dee &#9642; Scarlet Lee Moore &#9642; Tao Rodriguez-Seeger &#9642; Teddy Thompson &#9642; Tom Chapin &#9642; Tom Paxton &#9642; Tommy Sands with Moya and Fionan &#9642; Tony Trischka &#9642; Toshi Reagon &#9642; and The Saturday Night Live Band
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1069976 Jan 28, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Obama To Raise Minimum Wage For Federal Contract Workers By Executive Order
President Barack Obama will announce during Tuesday night’s State of the Union address that he's raising the minimum wage for workers under federal contracts to $10.10 per hour, an administration official told The Huffington Post.
The new policy, to be instituted via executive order, may affect hundreds of thousands of workers whose jobs are supported by federal dollars. The move is designed in part to ratchet up pressure on Congress to pass legislation raising the minimum wage for all workers. The current federal minimum wage stands at $7.25 per hour, and hasn't been raised since 2009, after the last of a series of increases signed into law by then-President George W. Bush.
The new executive order is part of a broader pledge from the White House to pursue policies that don’t rely on congressional approval. What other policies are in the works, the administration has refused to say.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/28/obam...
doing what needs done. and not a damn thing anyone can do about it except whine and cry.
SCOTUS will have the final say on the limits of executive power....
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1069977 Jan 28, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text> in Wisconsin--the actual temperature was -20 today-I saw some stores yesterday in Chicago that said, where is our global warming. LOL-if they are making fun of liberals in Chicago you know the people as a whole are--it is a good day.
I laugh when I read one of the moron liberals here say Glow Bull Warming is making it colder! It's usually one of the more deranged idiots like DumbDave.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1069978 Jan 28, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called logic.
Evidently logic is something void in the right whiner mind.
You buddy said killing Bn Laden served no purpose.
We invaded Afghanistan to get Bin Laden.( Bush told Afghanistan that we would not if they turned over Bin Laden)
Therefore, our Afghanistan invasion was to serve no purpose.
Way to go Bush, spend over ten years & hundreds of billion of dollars and the lives of thousands of soldiers on an effort your buddy said served no purpose.
wrong...the US invaded Afghanistan to clean out the terrorist training camps....

Orlando, FL

#1069979 Jan 28, 2014
<quoted text>
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)— As President Obama prepares to deliver his State of the Union address tonight, congressional Republicans are promising to respond with what they call their grumpiest faces ever.
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Virginia) confirmed that the G.O.P. have been practicing in front of mirrors for weeks in the hopes of creating just the right grouchy-face look for the TV cameras.
“Tonight, President Obama is going to lay out his vision for this country,” he said.“We owe it to the American people to look like someone just pissed in our cornflakes.”
For some, the task of looking crabby “is just another day at the office,” said Senator Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky), widely viewed by his fellow-Republicans as the reigning sourpuss in Congress.
“It’s a gift I have,” he said.“It’s one of the perks of being a steaming cauldron of spite.”
Perhaps the most sustained performance of sulkiness will fall to House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who will be seated behind the President and therefore will be on camera for the entire duration of the address.
“There’s a lot of pressure on me to look sullen for an entire hour, but I’m up to it,” he said.“It helps that I will be in the same room with so many people I despise.”
As Greg Gutfeld said, "It's just going to be more Ambien rhetoric."

We've heard it all before. Most Americans know better now. And it will be hard to stay awake. Or not throw something at the TV.

This president promised transparency. He's gotten it. Except most of us can see right through him. But you'll be admiring his new clothes anyway.

Location hidden

#1069980 Jan 28, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
It's widely expected Obama will announce his decree raising the minimum wage for government contracts tonight.
Here's the problem:
There exists a law from which the Federal Acquisition Regulations are written in accordance with.
First and foremost, the President does not have the constitutional authority to set wages. Any real constitutional lawyer would know this.
Second, Obama intends to violate the law (big surprise here) and unconstitutionally write his own law as if he's some kind of dictator that can rule with decrees and edicts.
Here's exactly what the law of the (written, passed and signed in accorcdance with the requirements specified in the Constitution of the land says:
"22.1002-3 Wage determinations based on collective bargaining agreements.
(a) Successor contractors performing on contracts in excess of $2,500 for substantially the same services performed in the same locality must pay wages and fringe benefits (including accrued wages and benefits and prospective increases) at least equal to those contained in any bona fide collective bargaining agreement entered into under the predecessor contract. "
http://www.acquisition.gov/far/html/Subpart%2...
So, if the President uses the office of President to intentionally (or ignorantly) violate the Constitution, and to violate existing law, is that treason against the constitutional republic?
What should be the sentence for this type of treason?
your Obama induced insanity is getting worse

Yes, you've obviously got acute schizophrenia blues.

""People with schizophrenia may not make sense when they talk. Sometimes people with schizophrenia seem perfectly fine until they talk about what they are really thinking.""

Fits you perfectly, Dweeb

Location hidden

#1069981 Jan 28, 2014
<quoted text>
No one is a race baiter; but, you are a racist.
What higher standard would that be? Spending 5 years staring at photoshopped naked photos of the Presidents late mother? Disparaging his parentage? You have no standards; you have stooped to the lowest depths of desperation in your seething hate of President Obama; and, it is because he is black. We've been reading your posts for 5 years. We get it
So, you can stuff your lofty proclamations filled with hollowness.
Your party is the anti women party, the racist party, the anti gay party, the anti immigration party, the anti veteran party. You are doomed. So suffer. There's nothing good or decent about you; you wallow in darkness, it's you and don't give me that scripture bullshyt either.
It's sickening.
BRAVO!!

Orlando, FL

#1069982 Jan 28, 2014
"I still believe the only chance for the human raced to survive is to give up such pleasures as war, racism and private profit," Seeger told RS in 1979, beliefs he held until his death.
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pete-s...
Follow us:@rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
If only the Hitlers, Stalins and Husseins or the world had gotten on board with Seeger's naïve view of the real world,

And if only Southern Democrats had gotten on board with Seeger's distorted view of the world.

And if only Seeger had moved to a communist country in order to appreciate a competitive free market where anyone can move up the ladder.

He may have been speaking during a different time in history - during the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. So he gets a pass. Liberals today don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Earthling-1 6,473
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr thetruth 244,893
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Brian_G 310,343
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) 13 hr bernarlyn 33
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr tom wingo 29,852
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,846
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
More from around the web