Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1051956 Jan 2, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you another liberal who wants our health care system to be just like that of the UK?
which right wing myth are you referring to?
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1051957 Jan 2, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm trying real hard to be nice.
But your coming up with stupid replies for the sake of arguing makes it hard.
----------
""New Survey: 95% of US Cities Satisfied with LED Streetlights and Saving Nearly 60% in Costs"
""WASHINGTON, Oct. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/-- Among cities and municipalities in the United States that have implemented Light-Emitting Diode (LED) streetlight projects, 95% were satisfied with the overall performance of the streetlights. The more efficient LED streetlights were found to save on average nearly 60% in combined energy and maintenance costs, according to a new survey published today by Washington, DC-based research firm Northeast Group, LLC. The firm surveyed nearly 100 cities and municipalities across the US that have implemented some form of LED streetlight initiatives..
I

Info about this survey group....

"The Northeast Group LLC

Categorized under Business Management Consultants, our records show it was established in 2009 and incorporated in District of Columbia, current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $170,000 and employs a staff of approximately 2. "

http://www.manta.com/c/mtcc7cb/the-northeast-...

Bad source for a survey group.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1051958 Jan 2, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
...you'll have to ask the folks who have either lost coverage or are unsure if they are insured. You can also ask parents of autistic children, people who need braces and the folks who frequent tanning salons, just to name a few.
I haven chosen to work for businesses that offer what used to he called a benefits package, and negotiated for my employer to pay 80% of the premium, so all I'm getting out if obamacare us higher taxes. I believe we are taxed enough already.
You're confusing them with facts again.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1051959 Jan 2, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only the "experts" that feed their progressive liberal brains.
All other "experts" are phonies. Like Obama's scandals.
Happy New Year Lois! may the scandals take down the left.
Here is a great scandal: Jessie Jackson Jr. eligible to collect $8,700 of disability while he is in prison, but he expected to make a full recovery...so then will the government disqualify his disability or will they keep paying the thief. Jessie Jackass stole over 750 thousand dollars from the poor blacks in his district and spent it on ho hoswhores and fancy Michael Jackson hats and yet if a republican stole from the blacks they would have reinstated the death penalty. Must be the Chicago way, if you are black and steal from blacks no one cares, or if you are black and shoot another black, same difference.
Vets in Chicago are dying on the streets and are only paid 1038 dollars, and they are the ones that fought for our country. This is really how sick liberalism is.
http://bighealthreport.com/10969/jessie-jacks...

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1051960 Jan 2, 2014
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminder-you were the one that was claiming a 2007 law applied to 2005 Katrina
You still are shooting in the dark.
LBJ federalized the guards due to the claim that not to do so would result in anarchy-failure to follow fed court order.
KATRINA did not have a court order
KATRINA could not be called anarchy
DUMB example!
Now slow down and make some logical connections.
LBJ??

1957??

And there wasn't anaerchy after Katrina?? Are you crazy?? Do you remember people rioting at the Super Bowl?? The deaths, the shootings, the chaos??

You're done. Either you're drunk or high, thinking LBJ was President in 1957.

I have been nice. But you like acting like a silly schoolgirl.

So I'm done with you for today.

----------

How is the National Guard different from the regular Army?

"The National Guard serves a dual role. Most of the time, its under the control of individual states, with the state governor acting as commander in chief. However, the president can activate the National Guard and place it under federal control. When this occurs, guard units are used to supplement the regular Army, bolstering its forces with additional combat units."

----------

The President has broad powers to act in time of emergency, whether weather related or otherwise.

He can act and ask for Congress to back it up afterward. But he does not have to wait.

People can die while Congress dithers..........
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1051961 Jan 2, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to explain the obvious which what you can't grasp apparently would be like saying "if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."
You just can't grasp the obvious.
FOX isn't part of the real media?

but obviously, most of us know that already. including you it seems.

i think we can call that a breakthrough.

Prevented this

#1051962 Jan 2, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
In a perfect world we wouldn't have Islamist terrorist organizations in policy-making positions in the White House, you moron. Now, since it's obvious we have treasonous Islamist terrorist organizations in the White House, why do you think the Russians would be stupid enough to let any organization with direct ties to international Islamist terrorists have anything at all to do with security in Sochi?
Putin says he's jealous that he can't get away with spying on Russians like Obama is spying on Americans.
Putin doesn't have the legal authority to detain anyone indefinitely without charges, you fucking moron.
Putin declared in his New Year speech he's going to annihilate the Islamist terrorists this year. What month do you think the Obama administration will be so stupid they blunder into a trap a blind person can see like they did in Syria last year?
I've got May, right after May Day. What month do you think Putin will make Obama look like a circus clown again?
The moslems are the cause of the big fire in Minnesota, accidentally a bomb when off in their mosque on the second floor and practically destroyed the building, the media has failed in most instances to report it. Instead they are showing all the poor black people that are now homeless, not a moslem to be seen.

Prevented this

#1051963 Jan 2, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>We have no street lights where I live. I guess you couldn't survive where I live with the kind of fear you appear to be harboring.
so you have no streets there? what town is it again?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1051964 Jan 2, 2014
Britain's health care service says it is sick of being lied about.

Pilloried by right-wing critics of President Barack Obama's health care plan, Britain's National Health Service, known here as the NHS, is fighting back.

"People have been saying some untruths in the States," a spokesman for Britain Department of Health said in a telephone interview. "There's been all these ridiculous claims made by the American health lobby about Obama's health care plan ... and they've used the NHS as an example. A lot of it has been untrue."

He spoke anonymously in line with department policy.

A particularly outlandish example of a U.S. editorial, printed in the Investor's Business Daily, claimed that renowned physicist Stephen Hawking, who is disabled, "wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

Hawking, who was born and lives in Britain, personally debunked the claim. "I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he told The Guardian newspaper. Investor's Business Daily has since corrected the editorial.

....And what of Republicans' claim that British patients are robbed of their medical choices? False again, the department said.

"Everyone who is cared for by the NHS in England has formal rights to make choices about the service that they receive," it said in its rebuttal.

Then followed a fact sheet comparing selected statistics such as health spending per capita, infant mortality, life expectancy, and more. Each one showed England outperforming its trans-Atlantic counterpart.

The British government offers health care for free at the point of need, a service pioneered by Labour in 1948. In the six decades since, its promise of universal medical care, from cradle to grave, is taken for granted by Britons to such an extent that politicians even fiscal conservatives are loath to attack it.

But the NHS faces significant challenges, not least a multibillion pound (dollar) deficit predicted to open up over the next five years. It has its critics too, particularly cancer patients who complain that the government refuses to cover costlier drugs, leaving those who need expensive treatments to pay for them out of pocket.

Nevertheless, many in the British press bristled at the criticism from America's right wing.

"How dare the Republicans bad-mouth our free health care system?" Guardian columnist Michele Hanson wrote Wednesday. "If I'd been born in the U.S., I'd probably be dead by now."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/13/brit...

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1051965 Jan 2, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
interesting that both he and Biden decided not to go themselves.
so much for that american/russian reset Obama claimed
The sad truth is, both of them know they are incompetent amateurs compared to a real head of state. Obama going to Sochi will accomplish only getting himself (and the United States) embarrassed again in front of the entire world. Frankly, I'm tired of the world laughing at us. I'm glad Obama and Biden are going to avoid that certain humiliation of us, which has become a regular event every time Obama or Biden go anywhere.
Besides, Putin said he's going to annihilate the Islamist terrorists this year. That's not exactly a welcome-to-Russia speech for people like Obama. ;-)
new yawk

Buffalo, NY

#1051966 Jan 2, 2014
Thank You, Flack ... But, no matter how many facts are presented regarding the failures and dereliction of duty by Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin; the fact that FEMA/Natural Disaster situations are handled in a very different way than Insurrection which the Federal Government can call in The Armed Forces if the State Authorities fail to do so, is to admit it was the failure of THEIR Democratic lack of capable, competent leadership.

Much easier to parrot: "It was President Bush's fault" ! It's their fallback position - SOP.
Than to admit this inaction, disorganization and lack of planning by Blanco & Nagin were incompetence and corruption at the local and State level. Not the Federal.

Happy, Healthy & Rockin' New Year, My Jack Flack ...!

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Here doofus, learn something for once!
The one exception is provided by the Insurrection Act of 1807, which lets the president use the military only for the purpose of putting down rebellions or enforcing constitutional rights if state authorities fail to do so. Under that law, the president can declare an insurrection and call in the armed forces.
It says nothing about natural disasters.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1051967 Jan 2, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
...you'll have to ask the folks who have either lost coverage or are unsure if they are insured. You can also ask parents of autistic children, people who need braces and the folks who frequent tanning salons, just to name a few.
I haven chosen to work for businesses that offer what used to he called a benefits package, and negotiated for my employer to pay 80% of the premium, so all I'm getting out if obamacare us higher taxes. I believe we are taxed enough already.
You made a statement.

Now you walk away from it.

You pretended to be an expert, now you say "you'll have to ask the folks'.

How typical.

You're done.

(BTW, I have the same type deal with my employer. So all I get is higher taxes, just like you. But I still support the idea of more Americans having access to healthcare, so I don't whine about it.)
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1051968 Jan 2, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
wisdom teeth used to fit in our mouths before processed food. Evolution and creationism do not have to be mutually exclusive
Interesting that wisdom teeth were being extracted long before processed food came along.

Civil war era early enough for ya pally?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1051969 Jan 2, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
so you didn't call your friend on this "crock", but instead come on Topix and talk sht about them? Some "friend" you are.
I told her that I found it hard to believe that anyone would close his/business solely because of that; and in addition, I told her that I doubted her customers had over 50 employees.
What can one say when ones friend is so misinformed without causing a rift. Our friendship is more important that politics; I know where she's coming from and don't bother, other than a few statements here and there that she may or may not think about.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1051970 Jan 2, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>The moslems are the cause of the big fire in Minnesota, accidentally a bomb when off in their mosque on the second floor and practically destroyed the building, the media has failed in most instances to report it. Instead they are showing all the poor black people that are now homeless, not a moslem to be seen.
You know this because? You were there? You haven't' left your house for 5 years!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1051971 Jan 2, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting that wisdom teeth were being extracted long before processed food came along.
Civil war era early enough for ya pally?
OMG he's a dope

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#1051972 Jan 2, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to join the discussion. We left off with the nutjob you're talking to having to defend his argument with text from the Constitution.
In case you missed it, here's where you can start your participation in the discussion:
Nuculur homo option wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems the Repugnants running Utah didn't bother to read the Constitution.
Why is that??
Or the Teabaggers in Congress who demanded same sex marriage be prohibited.
If they had, they'd know the 14th Amendment makes their homophobe apttempts to outlaw same sex marriage is UnConstitutional.
Funny how you "Constitutionalists" have been losing on Constitutional issues, like DOMA.
The Supreme Court shot down your sides hatred for freedom.
Same Sex marriage now legal in 18 States, the rest are court rulings away.
Yes, Liberals wrote the Constitution, and they know it means freedom for all Americans, not just the favored few.
You lose again, Dweeb. But you're used to it.
Keep whining, we enjoy your pain.
DBWriter wrote:
Please provide text from the Constitution to back your idiocy up.
Thank you.
You really have to stretch the 14th Amendment to the moon and back to justify your inane logic.
Now, let's see that text from the Constitution.
You enjoy quoting the constitution because you feel it gives you a level of credibility you have never had in life. The problem with basing all your arguments on a document written over 200 years ago is that much of it is subjective and open to interpretation, that's why we have the Supreme Court. Your interpretation is nothing more than the opinion of a delusional fanatic.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1051973 Jan 2, 2014
new yawk wrote:
Thank You, Flack ... But, no matter how many facts are presented regarding the failures and dereliction of duty by Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin; the fact that FEMA/Natural Disaster situations are handled in a very different way than Insurrection which the Federal Government can call in The Armed Forces if the State Authorities fail to do so, is to admit it was the failure of THEIR Democratic lack of capable, competent leadership.
Much easier to parrot: "It was President Bush's fault" ! It's their fallback position - SOP.
Than to admit this inaction, disorganization and lack of planning by Blanco & Nagin were incompetence and corruption at the local and State level. Not the Federal.
Happy, Healthy & Rockin' New Year, My Jack Flack ...!
<quoted text>
Same to you!
ABC

AOL

#1051974 Jan 2, 2014
Is Obama still the president?

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1051975 Jan 2, 2014
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
LED is not practical for low income families
LED bulbs are much more expensive than incandescent lamps. An 8-watt bulb can cost about $40, versus around $1 for an incandescent bulb that produces equal light.
LED produces a lot of heat that be uncomfortable when used as task lighting.
The light from a LED bulb is directional and is poor at lighting large rooms. Good for a task light. But would required several additional light sources to light a room-where is the savings in that.
Dumb concept.
I've been using leds alot lately...a new hobby. In fact, last night I made an led light strip for a workbench powered by an old PC power supply. It works pretty well. I also ordered 70 multi colored led s (resistors included) from ebay for $6.49 with free shipping. One thing to remember when purchasing led light bulbs, they last alot longer and the manufacturer takes that into consideration when setting the price point. You can also "man handle" leds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min waaasssuuup 232,738
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr LonePalm 2,660
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr Joe fortuna 201,151
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Phil Donahue 306,953
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 12 hr Bruin For Life 28,359
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Tue The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web