Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1395222 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044809 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
The main problem I have with the groups alleging higher prices is crude oil is sold as a commodity. Why one part of the US would pay higher prices for the crude than other parts is quickly skimmed over.
Again crude oil is a commodity sold on the open market. The price of crude oil is set based on availability. If the Candian oil is made open to the international market which I would assume it would be there is no justification to think additional oil in the market would have a price increase and defies current market trends. Noted that the articles skimmed over the basis for this allegation too.
This also begs stupidity. Canada could ship oil from their ports.
the Canadian crude oil is of lower quality and lower value than typical American crude oil...

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1044810 Dec 18, 2013
GOPidiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Carol doesn't understand "average" poll.
Nice try.
Bush left office at 22 - 26%.
Obama average is NOT 44%.
You are not too bright.
In December 2005, at the end of the first year of his second term (where Obama's at now), his approval was 43%, 1 point higher than Obama's at 42%.

Bush's two-term average approval (2001-2009) was 49%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/Presidentia...

His numbers didn't start dipping below where Obama's are now until the last two years of his presidency.

Again, it's too soon to do any comparisons. Next year will be a significant year in determining where this president stands among the people.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1044811 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears to me either coast could be used and the route would be shorter than through the US
I agree. The only reason TransCanada wants to cross the U.S. is because they believe U.S. politicians are easily fooled.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1044812 Dec 18, 2013
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
hilarious, Abomination Kare will be the biggest disaster this country has ever seen. Are you really that stupid? Where's the money going to come from for all the new people on medicaid? The tooth fairy?
Who will pay for the subsidies? Santa Claus?
Libs are stupid, those who pay aren't, millions will do everything in their power to avoid being screwed by Oblama and this idiotic, unworkable wealth redistribution scheme.
over 2.5 million signed up for the 'disaster'.

if you don't know where the money for the subsides comes from then go find out.

and yes, i know where it comes from, but i'm getting tired of citing stuff that everyone should already know.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044813 Dec 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe anyone knows how many young people have or have not signed up for health care. It's just speculation.
Heck, back in October Access Health CT, Connecticut's marketplace, said that approximately one-third of the people who had applied for coverage there were under 35. That was right in the ball park of reaching the administration's goal of having 2.7 million of the 7 million estimated new enrollees be between 18 and 35.
At the same time, Maryland announced that the biggest demographic of those who had created accounts were "between 25 and 29".
I believe our young people have more common sense than you give them credit for
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...
"applied for coverage" and "enrolled" and "signed up" are meaningless terms when discussing ObamaKKKare....

the number of people who have an actual paid insurance contract is miniscule...

Orlando, FL

#1044814 Dec 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Obama Thanks Congress For Passing Budget
I’m pleased that with tonight’s vote in the Senate, for the first time in years, both parties in both houses of Congress have come together to pass a budget. It’s a budget that unwinds some of the damaging sequester cuts that have harmed students and seniors and acted as headwinds our businesses had to fight. It clears a path for critical investments in things like education and research that have always grown our economy and strengthened the middle class. And it will continue to reduce our deficits at a time when we’ve seen four of the fastest years of deficit reduction since the end of World War II.
All told, it’s a good first step away from the shortsighted, crisis-driven decision-making that has only served to act as a drag on our economy. It helps chart our economic course for the next two years, which means that the American people won’t be exposed to another painful and unwise government shutdown. But there is much more work to do to ensure our economy works for every working American. For one, Congress should pass an extension of unemployment insurance so more than a million Americans don’t lose a vital lifeline as they fight to find a job. Today, Senators Reed and Heller introduced a bipartisan solution that would prevent a lapse in benefits that would hurt these families and deal an unnecessary blow to our economy, and I urge Congress to act.
I thank Democratic and Republican leaders from the House and Senate who have worked hard to get this budget done and look forward to the Congress sending me bills that fund our government and refrain from fighting old ideological battles. And I hope this spirit of cooperation will continue into the New Year as we work to restore opportunity and broad-based growth for every American.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/obama-t...
Congress is going to vote to tweak the new budget when they return in January so that cuts in veterans benefits will be taken out. Hope Obama is still happy about that.

What's funny is Obama acts like he had something to do with Congress deciding to act on their own without him.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044815 Dec 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
don't issue permits and the pipeline jobs will go to Americans...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044816 Dec 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
if you don't have insurance and you are accepted for Medicaid(Medicare?) are you still one of the uninsured?
yes, uninsured and on welfare....probably for life...

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1044817 Dec 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very true. Think the poster, Ray, said the same thing. If Obama were Bush, the media wouldn't have to make up stuff or mislead people or build mountains out of molehills just to sway public opinion against him. They'd only have to hold him accountable for his failed policies, poor leadership, lies and deceptions and cover-ups. And, if that were the case, his approval ratings would be in the negative.
The fact his approval is hovering around 40% in spite of the media ignoring his failed policies and poor leadership and helping him sweep his lies and deceptions and cover-ups under the rug is telling. Considering Bush was only 5 points behind him at the very end of his second term with the media hounding him every step of the way.
Wish I'd seen Ray's.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1044818 Dec 18, 2013
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
there are already pipelines all over this country, not trashing anything, except maybe your mind.
You are truly clueless. Those pipelines are not carrying the very caustic, abrasive and corrosive tar sands crude. Why do you think even Canadians want nothing to do with transporting it across their land?

"There are no safe ways to transport tar sands. Tar sands bitumen must be diluted from its asphalt like consistency to a thinner substance by a proprietary, undisclosed chemical cocktail as well as heated by stations every 40 miles to be moved through pipes. The nature of this diluted bitumen (dil-bit) is a caustic and corrosive material that will sooner or later leak. The Keystone 1 tar sands pipeline alone leaked 12 times in its first year of operation!"

"Tar sands pipelines, with only a decade long history, have an abysmal safety record, spilling hundreds of times, including a spill near the Kalamazoo River in 2010 that released almost a million gallons of diluted bitumen, and is still not cleaned up as well as the recent Mayflower, AR spill where displaced residents are still unable to return to their homes after a month has passed."

"Tar sands dilbit or heavy crude, as the industry often calls it, is more caustic, more abrasive material that is transported at a higher temperature and a higher pressure than conventional crude. Diluted by proprietary chemicals transporting tar sands is an inherently dangerous activity that poisons water for all species for generations."

http://gptarsandsresistance.org/why/

Orlando, FL

#1044819 Dec 18, 2013
GOPidiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Half the country disagrees with you.
I would argue that the GOP is inherently stupid.
You keep nominating losers after circus- like primaries.
The nuts are already turning out for Senate GOP primaries.
GOP threatening another fiscal cliff over raising the debt ceiling to pay for the budget they just voted for.
Now that's stupid.
In all polls, Obama's disapproval rating is 50%(in only three) and higher in all the rest..

47% is the highest approval in two polls. All the rest are in the low 40s..

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other...

You can't say half of the country disagrees with me. You're in the minority and don't seem to know it.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1044820 Dec 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress is going to vote to tweak the new budget when they return in January so that cuts in veterans benefits will be taken out. Hope Obama is still happy about that.
What's funny is Obama acts like he had something to do with Congress deciding to act on their own without him.
cuts to vet benefits? Obama?

Ryan's Committee Scrubs Doc of Claim to Protect Disabled Vets' Pensions

House Budget Committee Chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) has scrubbed a document to remove a false statement about the budget deal he cut with Senate Budget Committee chairwoman Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA), Breitbart News has learned.

An original talking point in the document claimed the plan’s cuts to military pensions for wounded warriors, or service members who retired as a result of disability or injury, would not be affected.

....Ryan’s committee removed the claim that wounded warriors’ pensions would not be affected by the cuts because the claim is not true, as the Washington Free Beacon documented.

Ryan’s spokesman Will Allison admitted to Breitbart News that Ryan’s team did in fact edit the document. Allison said Ryan’s staff discovered the claim was in fact incorrect and then edited the document on Tuesday, Dec. 10--two days before the House vote. But Allison would not answer when asked multiple times if Ryan and his committee staff notified House members of the significant change to that document--which may in fact have led to a decision for some House members on which way they would have voted on the bill.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/...

looks to me like a republican signed off on those cuts and then tried to hide it from the FOXbots.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044821 Dec 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
over 2.5 million signed up for the 'disaster'.
if you don't know where the money for the subsides comes from then go find out.
and yes, i know where it comes from, but i'm getting tired of citing stuff that everyone should already know.
a number pulled out of your ass...

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1044822 Dec 18, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
"applied for coverage" and "enrolled" and "signed up" are meaningless terms when discussing ObamaKKKare....
the number of people who have an actual paid insurance contract is miniscule...
Too early to tell. Sit back and relax.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1044823 Dec 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
defining cost.
which is nowhere near the Heritage 'estimate'.
Yes, I included that too...$1,363 billion over ten years

"CBO and JCT’s current projection of the budgetary impact of the ACA’s coverage provisions is $1,363 billion over the 2014–2023 period. That amount represents an increase of $40 billion from the February 2013 estimate of $1,323 billion, as shown in the table below. Although the gross cost of those provisions is now projected to be $74 billion less over the 10-year period, various payments to the government and other savings related to those provisions are now also estimated to be less—by $114 billion; the combination of those two effects has boosted the projected net cost of the coverage provisions.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044824 Dec 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
there are no cuts in veterans benefits...just in cost-of-living increases...

Orlando, FL

#1044825 Dec 18, 2013
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
sure imbecile, but Ostupida care won't cost a dime, will it?
If I remember correctly, Obama clearly said it won't cost one "thin" dime.

Every conservative in that chamber should have yelled "lie" right then. Bet they would now.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044826 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I included that too...$1,363 billion over ten years
"CBO and JCT’s current projection of the budgetary impact of the ACA’s coverage provisions is $1,363 billion over the 2014–2023 period. That amount represents an increase of $40 billion from the February 2013 estimate of $1,323 billion, as shown in the table below. Although the gross cost of those provisions is now projected to be $74 billion less over the 10-year period, various payments to the government and other savings related to those provisions are now also estimated to be less—by $114 billion; the combination of those two effects has boosted the projected net cost of the coverage provisions.
all such projections are meaningless and are likely to be too low by an order of magnitude....

Orlando, FL

#1044827 Dec 18, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
there are no cuts in veterans benefits...just in cost-of-living increases...
That's true but, to veterans, that expected increase would have seemed like a cut.

Glad both Democrats and Republicans are going to fix it.

Wonder if they've told Obama yet. Or if he'll just read about it in the news.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1044828 Dec 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans in Congress decided to act because of Obama not in spite of him. They came out the big LOSERS in the partial shut down and had no choice except to change direction. Let's hope they keep their heads about them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 48 min Too Funny AD Too ... 9,862
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Todd for Real 311,342
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 9 hr Barbi A 201,865
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr Trojan 32,289
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 hr ChristineM 255,511
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web