Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1521737 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039304 Dec 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I am talking to someone with fingers in both ears going la-la-la.
It is more a public service announcement for those who want to know.
lol! Yep son....

... yourself!

Give yourself a hand!

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1039305 Dec 10, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>still making things up as you go along since you have nothing of value to offer.....
Hmm...exactly like Obama and his ACA.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039306 Dec 10, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Galt disagrees...the insurance companies were willing, if foolish, participants in ObamaKKKare because they saw short-term profits...and lacked the guts to stand up to Obama...
lol! If true, then they're no different than the mortgage idiots who created the financial crisis!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039307 Dec 10, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I think she might've been suffering a Wedgie.
Couldn't get her fingers back there for a good tug in front of the world, ya know.
lol! You're speaking from a self inflicted wound I see son!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039308 Dec 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, apparently none of us can match her knowledge.
lol! Certainly not the information son.

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1039309 Dec 10, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Well gee zon.
Aren't you the people who seem to love polls all of a sudden?
Nope, not me.

Like politicians, I take all respected polls seriously. You DO realize politicians worship polling data, don't you?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039310 Dec 10, 2013
Ah! The cries of mental anguish coming from the reich wing!

Another beer will help me enjoy their levity even more!!!

I love this comedy channel!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039311 Dec 10, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...exactly like Obama and his ACA.
Keep saying that to yourself son.

Sometimes... dreams do come true!

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1039312 Dec 10, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! why? you idiots support the reich wing shutdown of government.
Wrong again.

I support a smaller, leaner, less intrusive government, not a shutdown.

Your ilk wants a huge government, run by a compulsive liar, involved in every aspect of your life.

Who are the idiots?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039313 Dec 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
Latest NBC/WSJ poll
"Just 28 percent give the president high grades for being able to achieve his goals (down 16 points from January); only 37 percent give him high marks for being honest and straightforward (down 5 points from June); and 44 percent give him high marks for being able to handle a crisis (down another 5 points since June)."
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10...
lol! You have an interesting article son. And one that's even more telling!

But you go ahead and keep ignoring it like your normally do! That way you'll be surprised again in 2016!!!!

"...'One of the worst' Congresses ever
While respondents might be down on President Obama and his health care law, many of them are downright disgusted at a Congress labeled the least productive in modern history.

Top Talkers: A budget deal that would avoid a partial government shutdown is apparently near in Congress, but it is far from the grand bargain some had hoped to get.

A majority – 51 percent – views the 113th Congress as “one of the worst” Congresses ever in terms of performance and accomplishments, the highest percentage answering that way on this NBC/WSJ poll question dating back to 1990.

By comparison, 28 percent say it’s “below average,” 17 percent call it “average,” just 2 percent say it’s “above average,” and only 1 percent think it’s “one of the best” Congresses.

The Republican Party also fares poorly in the poll when it comes to compassion and compromise.

Respondents give Democrats a 28-point advantage over the GOP (45 percent to 17 percent) when asked which party does a better job showing compassion and concern for people.

They also give Democrats a 12-point edge (31 percent to 19 percent) on which party is more willing to work with the opposition party to pass needed legislation...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039314 Dec 10, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, not me.
Like politicians, I take all respected polls seriously. You DO realize politicians worship polling data, don't you?
So did Romney.

That's why he couldn't figure out why reality didn't match IT and not the other way around!

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1039315 Dec 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
Latest NBC/WSJ poll
"Just 28 percent give the president high grades for being able to achieve his goals (down 16 points from January); only 37 percent give him high marks for being honest and straightforward (down 5 points from June); and 44 percent give him high marks for being able to handle a crisis (down another 5 points since June)."
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10...
37% think he's honest and straightforward? Now that's discouraging.

Well, it IS an NBC poll...
Ben

Bowling Green, KY

#1039316 Dec 10, 2013
Me too.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039317 Dec 10, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
I support a smaller, leaner, less intrusive government, not a shutdown.
Your ilk wants a huge government, run by a compulsive liar, involved in every aspect of your life.
Who are the idiots?
lol! Son, how can you possibly say you support a 'smaller' government while increasing the military?

What you mean is you want to be selective about which part of government is smaller!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039318 Dec 10, 2013
lol! poor whatever.

he's all....'whatever!'
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039319 Dec 10, 2013
Amazing! Up to $100M in subsidies!!!!

And cons aren't against it! Heavens to betsy!!!

"Christian Science Monitor

Budget hawks: Does US need to give gas and oil companies $41 billion a year?

As President Obama and Congress look for budget cuts, some experts say federal energy subsidies are ripe for trimming. Among oil companies, nuclear power, and coal, who gets what from US taxpayers?

By Mark Clayton, Staff writer / March 9, 2011

The full moon sets behind a wind farm in the Mojave Desert in California in this Jan. 8, 2004, file photo. President Obama is urging Congress to eliminate billions of dollars in subsidies for oil companies.

Toby Melville/Reuters/File
Enlarge

Desperately seeking fiscal savings, Congress and President Obama are scrambling to find anything in the federal budget that can be thrown overboard, from child nutrition aid to funding for military bands.

In Pictures Solar power: Harnessing the sun's energy

But the American people might be on to something. In a poll conducted for NBC and the Wall Street Journal, three-quarters of respondents favored "eliminating tax credits for the oil and gas industries." Specifically, 47 percent said they found such cuts "totally acceptable" and 27 percent said they found it "mostly acceptable."

To some budget hawks cutting subsidies to mature and profitable energy industries is an inevitable part of any budget deficit solution. "Clearly most of the attention has been focused on non-security discretionary budget,” says Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense in Washington.“But even if we eliminated every dime of that, we would still have a trillion-dollar deficit. So these issues like subsidies for the oil and gas industry – and the tax code – are going to have to be tackled."

Are you smarter than Al Gore? Take our energy quiz.

Finding and tallying federal energy subsidies, however, can be fiendishly difficult. Doug Koplow of the energy-consulting firm Earth Track in Cambridge, Mass., is considered one of the nation’s leading experts on the topic.

He estimates that the US spent between $49 billion and $100 billion on energy subsidies in 2007 – numbers Mr. Koplow says are still accurate if adjusted for inflation. The handouts cover a broad range of activities, from federal loan guarantees and funding for energy research and development to special tax exemptions.

Here is how the subsidies break down by category, adjusted for inflation, according to Koplow.
Oil and gas:$41 billion

President Obama wants Congress to chop $3.6 billion in 2012 oil and gas tax breaks for a total of $46.2 billion over the next decade. Among Mr. Obama’s targets: a nearly century-old oil and gas industry tax deduction for the costs of preparing drill sites and a manufacturer's tax break granted the oil industry in 2004...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039320 Dec 10, 2013
Yeah wrote:
Amazing! Up to $100M in subsidies!!!!
And cons aren't against it! Heavens to betsy!!!
"Christian Science Monitor
Budget hawks: Does US need to give gas and oil companies $41 billion a year?
As President Obama and Congress look for budget cuts, some experts say federal energy subsidies are ripe for trimming. Among oil companies, nuclear power, and coal, who gets what from US taxpayers?
By Mark Clayton, Staff writer / March 9, 2011
The full moon sets behind a wind farm in the Mojave Desert in California in this Jan. 8, 2004, file photo. President Obama is urging Congress to eliminate billions of dollars in subsidies for oil companies.
Toby Melville/Reuters/File
Enlarge
Desperately seeking fiscal savings, Congress and President Obama are scrambling to find anything in the federal budget that can be thrown overboard, from child nutrition aid to funding for military bands.
In Pictures Solar power: Harnessing the sun's energy
But the American people might be on to something. In a poll conducted for NBC and the Wall Street Journal, three-quarters of respondents favored "eliminating tax credits for the oil and gas industries." Specifically, 47 percent said they found such cuts "totally acceptable" and 27 percent said they found it "mostly acceptable."
To some budget hawks cutting subsidies to mature and profitable energy industries is an inevitable part of any budget deficit solution. "Clearly most of the attention has been focused on non-security discretionary budget,” says Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense in Washington.“But even if we eliminated every dime of that, we would still have a trillion-dollar deficit. So these issues like subsidies for the oil and gas industry – and the tax code – are going to have to be tackled."
Are you smarter than Al Gore? Take our energy quiz.
Finding and tallying federal energy subsidies, however, can be fiendishly difficult. Doug Koplow of the energy-consulting firm Earth Track in Cambridge, Mass., is considered one of the nation’s leading experts on the topic.
He estimates that the US spent between $49 billion and $100 billion on energy subsidies in 2007 – numbers Mr. Koplow says are still accurate if adjusted for inflation. The handouts cover a broad range of activities, from federal loan guarantees and funding for energy research and development to special tax exemptions.
Here is how the subsidies break down by category, adjusted for inflation, according to Koplow.
Oil and gas:$41 billion
President Obama wants Congress to chop $3.6 billion in 2012 oil and gas tax breaks for a total of $46.2 billion over the next decade. Among Mr. Obama’s targets: a nearly century-old oil and gas industry tax deduction for the costs of preparing drill sites and a manufacturer's tax break granted the oil industry in 2004...."
lol! Oh wait! My mistake!

It's $100 BILLION!!!

That is......$100,000,000,000!!!!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1039321 Dec 10, 2013
lol! Dang! I can't enjoy my beer anymore.

No more reich wing whining!!!!

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

United States

#1039322 Dec 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but you seem to have major issues.
I am talking about Tax LAWS not rules silly- you know those things that apply to all in business and manufacturing.
Writing a law eliminating the oil industry from using these tax credits has a high probability of being unconstitutional!
Trust me NO one wants to pay $15.00 plus for a gallon of gas which would be the result of your non-thinking nonsense.
We would paid a small fortune to maintain the Strategic Reserve, if at all, and it would be too bad for those receiving energy assistance-get a fireplace.
Your overwhelming hate of a US business is irrational and harmful to even yourself.
READ THE BILL!!! I'm not making this stuff up. I'm telling you want the "End Polluter Welfare Act" is all about. It changes the TAX LAWS so that oil companies will not be treated the same as other business and manufacturing. There is nothing unconstitutional about it.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

United States

#1039323 Dec 10, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
sane people can't see any reason for the government to get involved at all...
Insane people don't comprehend the importance of health insurance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Susanm 313,951
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr As pharts 32,915
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 20 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr 20 DelucaKoehn 11
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 18 RNC 11,137
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Apr 8 Allycat1999 290
News Buzzer-beating shot lifts Florida over Wisconsi... Mar 25 BuzzerPhartss 2
More from around the web