Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
949,841 - 949,860 of 1,079,304 Comments Last updated 1 min ago
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to my now famous and much anticipated Christmas countdown?
Because if you insist again this year...
Go for it :-).
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

The Terrible Case for Reinstating the Draft

Dana Milbank makes an exceptionally poor case for reinstating the draft:

There is no better explanation for what has gone wrong in Washington in recent years than the tabulation done every two years of how many members of Congress served in the military.

It shouldn’t take much time to recognize that this makes no sense at all. There are probably at least a dozen better explanations for political dysfunction and incompetence in Washington than the lack of veterans in Congress, and it is strange to think that filling up Congress with more people with military experience would remedy any of these other problems. It is possible that members of Congress would be less willing to permit presidents to wage so many unnecessary wars if more of them had previously served in the military, but even that is far from certain.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

WE ARE ALL THE SAME POOR PEOPLE DOES THIS STORY SOUND DIFFERENT FOR SOMEONE FROM WEST VIRGINIA or a BLACK PERSON AT HARVARD;England is two countries. One is dominated by London, the other remains in its shadow. When I first arrived from Australia, it seemed no one went north of Watford and those who had emigrated from the north worked hard to change their accents and obscure their origins and learn the mannerisms and codes of the southern comfortable classes. Some would mock the life they had left behind. They were changing classes, or so they thought.

When the Daily Mirror sent me to report from the north in the 1960s, my colleagues in London had fun with my naïve antipodean banishment to their equivalent of Siberia. True, it was the worst winter for 200 years and I had never worn a scarf or owned a coat. Try to imagine what it is like in darkest Leeds and Hull, they warned.

This was a time when working people in England were said to be “speaking out”, even “taking over”. Realist films were being made, and accents that had not been welcome in the broadcast media and sections of the entertainment business were now apparently in demand, though often as caricatures.

During that first drive north, when I stopped for petrol, I failed to understand what the man said; within weeks, what the people were seemed perfectly clear. They were another nation with a different history, different loyalties, different humour, even different values. At the heart of this was the politics of class. Crossing the Pennines, the Empire dropped away. The imperial passions of the south barely flickered. On Merseyside and Tyneside, apart from the usual notables, no one gave a damn for royalty. There was the all-for-one-and-one-for-all of a wagons-drawn working class society – unless, as was made painfully clear in later years, you happened to be black or brown. That solidarity was, for me, the story, as if it was the missing chapter in England’s political heritage, a people’s history of modern times, suppressed by Thatcher and Blair and still feared by their echoes.

I had already glimpsed the power of this solidarity in the place where my parents had grown up and I knew as a boy: the mining region of the Hunter Valley in New South Wales. Here, whole collieries had shipped out from Yorkshire, Tyneside and Durham.“Watch them; they’re communists,” I heard someone say. They were fighters for working class decency: proper pay, safety and solidarity. The Welsh were the same. They brought with them the pain and suffering and anger of those who had industralised the world and gained little but the resilient comfort of each other.

The Mirror published my reports of working lives: miners working in three foot shafts, steelworkers in unimaginable heat. I would find a street, virtually any street, and knock on doors. What intrigued me then was that such human warmth and forbearance could survive the treadmill of northern cities. Moreover, the great radical tradition of resistance in the north – from the cotton workers of the 19th century to the Great Miners’ Strike of 1984-5 – always threatened the game known in London as “the consensus”.

This was the nod-and-wink arrangement between Labour and Tory governments and the five per cent who owned half the wealth of all of the United Kingdom. The Labour MP turned media man, Brian Walden, described how it worked.“The two front benches [in Parliament] liked each other and disliked their back benches,” he wrote.“We were children of the famous consensus … turning the opposition into government made little difference, for we believed much the same things.”

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! So, is that why reich wingers prefer to change the Constitution in order to 'protect' the people?
Geez you people think that if you can't push the agenda your way, you just change the laws!
It's funny how you believe non cons want a 'revolution' while at the same time declaring they want to take away your guns and eliminate the 2A at the same time when the false bravado and talk of armed conflict comes from the right.
You can't have it both ways... armed, revolutionary pacifists!
Yes, occasionally I converse with idiots...

You forot to back your bullshit up with some exampes of how the actual liberals who have been labelled "conservative" by radical conservatives with a medieval mentality who ludicrously call themselves "liberal" desire to change the Constitution.

Let' see...
Three co-equal branches of government.(Democrats don't like this.)
Only Congress can write laws.(Democrats don't like this.)
Only the House of Representatives can write a revenue bill.(Democrats don't like this.)
You can speak your mind, exercise your chosen religion, and assemble with whomever you choose without fear of government retribution.(Democrats don't like this.)
You can defend yourself and your individual rights.(Democrats don't like this.)
You don't have to fear the government spying on you.(Democrats don't like this.)
You can acquire property and can only be taken by due process of law.(Democrats don't like this.)

So, what event can you cite to argue against this?
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
since she's 3/5ths crazy....just Bachmann.
YOU are a RACIST BIGOT I tell you that over and over get out of here
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
good wine does not have bubbles...
and very good wine is very affordable in California...
That's according to taste-and therefore au contraire...

They arise from the bottom and bubble to the top.

But hey, you probably LIKE *flat* sodey pop too (library loather)!
TSM

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Right now, my premiums are $1650/month for my wife & I through my company & the local Chamber. This is only because last year I opted for a lesser policy to avoid paying $2,000 a month for the policy I had before that.
I can buy the same exact policy I had now through the exchanges for $900 / Month.
Where did you get your cut/paste response from the WH web Page, Davey you’re full of it and it’s dripping from your Ears!!

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
the diversion started the day the GOP went: hey look!
no one pays attention to them anymore. people go out of their way not to pay attention to them. diversion indeed.
<spam>

Like Saul Alinsky commanded, the truth is relative. There is no fixed truth.
Do you actually pretend to believe what comes out of your mouth?
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

It's FUNNY THE ELITES IN AMERICA CAN GET AWAY WITH MURDER BECAUSE OF RACE THATS WHY WE HAVE OBAMA IN OTHER COUNTRIES POOR IS POOR My second film for television, made for Granada TV in Manchester, was called Conversations with a Working Man. It was the story of Jack Walker, a dyehouse worker from Keighley in Yorkshire whose job was monotonous, filthy and injurious to his health, yet he derived a pride from “doing it well”. Jack believed passionately that working people should stand together. That an articulate trade unionist was allowed to express his views without intrusion by those who often claimed to speak for him, and to worry out loud about the stitched-up democracy in Westminster, was beyond the pale. The term “working class”, I was told, had “political implications” and would not be acceptable to the Independent Television Authority. It would have to be changed to “working heritage”. Then there was the problem of the term “the people”. This was a “Marxist expression” and also had to go. And what was this “consensus”? Surely, Britain had a vibrant two-party system.

When I read recently that 600,000 Greater Manchester residents were “experiencing the effects of extreme poverty” and that 1.6 million were slipping into penury, I was reminded how the political consensus was unchanged. Now led by the southern squirearchy of David Cameron, George Osborne and their fellow Etonians, the only change is the rise of Labour’s corporate management class, exemplified by Ed Miliband’s support for “austerity”– the new jargon for imposed poverty.

In Clara Street in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in the wintry dark of early morning, I walked down the hill with people who worked more than sixty hours a week for a pittance. They described their “gains” as the Health Service. They had seen only one politician in the street, a Liberal who came and put up posters and said something inaudible from his Land Rover and sped away. The Westminster mantra then was “paying our way as a nation” and “productivity”. Today, their places of work, and their trade union protection, always tenuous, have gone.“What’s wrong,” a Clara Street man told me,“is the thing the politicians don’t want to talk about any more. It’s governments not caring how we live, because we’re not part of their country.”
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Flo changed her nametic
Ebb and Flo,
Tea People seem in a panic as ACA starts to slowly work.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
no one pays attention to them anymore. people go out of their way not to pay attention to them. diversion indeed.
It SEEMS NO one is paying attention to OBAMA AND HIS LIES look at the poll numbers you Obama baggers used to bragg about what happened HE LIED
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the GOP troll plan for health insurance?
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

THEY BRAGG how obama saved the economy lolololololol and wall street and the stocks are HIGH well OPINIONS OF MORE EDUCATED PEOPLE THAN REAL DUMB DAVE Nobel Prize-winning economist warns of US stock market bubble that could be a disaster for America
Nobel Prize-winning economist Robert Shiller believes sharp rises in equity and property prices could lead to a dangerous financial bubble and may end badly.
GFY REAL DAVE
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

WOW wrote:
<quoted text>It SEEMS NO one is paying attention to OBAMA AND HIS LIES look at the poll numbers you Obama baggers used to bragg about what happened HE LIED
Try posting in English or work on your GED?
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

WILL OBAMA GIVE THIS BLACK MAN THE TRAYVON TREATMENT WILL HIS SUPPORTERS DO A FUND RAISER FOR HIS FAMILY OH I FORGOT ELECTIONS AARE OVER FOR NOW Former college football player shot dead by robber who demanded he hand over his $300 Dr Dre headphones
Christian Massey, 21, was walking to a friend's house on Sunday when a mugger stopped him and demanded he hand over the $300 headset, in the Winfield area of Philadelphia.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

FINGERS ARE CROSSED IN THE WHITEHOUSE Obamacare website could STILL go down, admit aides as site continues to suffer problems after weekend relaunch
A day after the government met its weekend deadline for making HealthCare.gov operate smoothly, Americans are still having problems enrolling online.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
You can have all the "feelings" you want idiot.
By the way, how did you get from Seattle to San Francisco and then to Hawaii so fast, sockpuppet?
Here you are 7 hours ago posting from Seattle, then San Francisco.
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TI79GCO8VK...
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TI79GCO8VK...
You are a
L - O - O - S - E - R
son.
Typical disingenuous, slimy Ghost DemocRAT.
Amazing isn't it?

BTW, you're still hanging your wealth on your family.

But that's ok. It's not like you ever did anything in your life, right?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

WOW wrote:
<quoted text>YOU are a RACIST BIGOT I tell you that over and over get out of here
so where does it say Topix thread for nutjobs only?

i realize you nutjobs like to have your little tete-a-tetes so you can give each other a pat on the ass for being nutjob crazy, but all you're really doing is setting the table for the sane folks to rip you a new one. the stuff you folks like to 'talk' about between yourselves makes it way too easy. it's like the rabbit hole grows exponentially when you nutjobs start talking over the fence.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the GOP troll plan for health insurance?
To watch it implode as it's been doing did real dave sign up yet did you sign up yet thats the real ?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2013

Judged:

Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah! You should write a book and call it 'Dreams of a commie phag punk'!
lol! It would appear you're much better equipped to write this reich wing fantasy than I am son.

Because unlike you, I'm not that big a believer in your ideas!

But I'll look for it in the fiction section!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the NCAA Basketball Forum right now

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Dave Nelson 224,060
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Junket 305,081
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) 5 hr RICK SERVICE 26
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,649
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Jul 20 Danny 2
loan needed (Dec '13) Jul 20 Danny 4
Hairston's bounceback game highlights big day f... Jul 16 Go go d 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••