Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1420651 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1028587 Nov 22, 2013
The Washington Post has published the winning submissions to its yearly contest in which readers are asked to supply alternate meanings for common words.

And the winners are:

1. Coffee, n. The person upon whom one coughs.

2. Flabbergasted, adj. Appalled by discovering
how much weight one has gained.

3. Abdicate, v. To give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

4. Esplanade, v. To attempt an explanation while drunk.

5. Willy-nilly, adj. Impotent.

6. Negligent, adj. Absent mindedly answering the door when wearing only a nightgown.

7. Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.

8. Gargoyle, n. Olive-flavored mouthwash.

9. Flatulence, n. Emergency vehicle that picks up someone who has been run over by a steamroller.

10. Balderdash, n. A rapidly receding hairline.

11. Testicle, n. A humorous question on an exam.

12. Rectitude, n. The formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.

13. Pokemon, n. A Rastafarian proctologist.

14. Oyster, n. A person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.

15. Frisbeetarianism, n. The belief that, after death, the soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.

16. Circumvent, n. An opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by Jewish men.

...for those who like words and word play...but not finished resting yet...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1028588 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Let's not forget he also saved the nation from a second Great Depression.
Oh plz, the recession was over in June of that year and the bad economy since is all the result of bad policies from the Obama administration.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1028589 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Let's not forget he also saved the nation from a second Great Depression.
Gosh...wish I weren't still resting...because I'm dying to say "only in his mind...only in his mind..."

But since I'm still resting, will have to say it later.
TheIndependentMa jority

Twinsburg, OH

#1028590 Nov 22, 2013
JESUS IS KING OF KINGS

Holly Springs, NC

#1028591 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
I think we should put aside our differences today and celebrate our great nation and it's people in remembrance of John F. Kennedy.
Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.--John F. Kennedy
Or I could just GFMyself
Modern Democrats Would View John F. Kennedy As A Reaganite Extremist

Pushing for a huge, across-the-board tax cut in the final year of his life, President John F. Kennedy dismissed the idea that it would increase the debt in the long run:“By removing tax roadblocks to new jobs and new growth,” he declared,“the enactment of this measure next year will eventually more than make up in new revenue all that it will initially cost.”

When assessing the legacy of President Kennedy 50 years after his death, journalist Ira Stoll makes the case that Kennedy wasn’t what we think: The title of his new book “JFK, Conservative” says it all.

Stoll lays out Kennedy’s fierce anti-communism, his religious devotion (he gave faith-based speeches of a kind Michele Bachmann might consider extreme today) and his advocacy for low deficits, a strong dollar, free trade, tax cuts, free enterprise and individual responsibility. If JFK were here today, he would either have to renounce most of what he stood for or join the Republican party.

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#1028592 Nov 22, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious, posted to post by a Progressive who is whining about the poor victimized Acorn organization.
"posted to post"??? No wonder you're a charter member of the group of mental midgets that thinks ACORN (an acronym) is currently in charge of Obamacare, the IRS, and BEN-GAUZE-EEE <shiver> [email protected] lot of U.
JESUS IS KING OF KINGS

Holly Springs, NC

#1028593 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
I think we should put aside our differences today and celebrate our great nation and it's people in remembrance of John F. Kennedy.
Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.--John F. Kennedy
Or I could just GFMyself
Even as late as 1980, supply-side policies could be denounced as “voodoo economics” by George H.W. Bush, but before the term was popularized Kennedy was an instinctive supply-sider. It’s important to keep in mind how unusually courageous a stance this was. The triumph of Keynesian economic theory in the immediate postwar decades was complete. It was simply taken for granted by the leadership class that the government needed to stimulate the economy with centralized spending during downturns. One adviser to Kennedy, the Keynes disciple John Kenneth Galbraith, argued as much. The waggish Kennedy simply exiled him with the post of Ambassador to India.

Kennedy inherited a major recession (a contraction at an annualized rate of five percent in the fourth quarter of 1960) but kept domestic spending basically flat while ramping up military and overseas spending. Though he did preside over a 25 percent increase (over two years) in the federal minimum wage and launch several domestic programs beloved by liberals including food stamps and what became Medicare when it was passed in 1965, he harbored deep suspicions of the creeping influence of the state. Albert Jay Nock’s anti-New Deal book “Our Enemy, the State” was a volume JFK kept at his Boston home in the 1950s and he sometimes echoed the book in public statements.“I do not believe in a super state,” he said in a 1960 speech in which he declared himself a liberal, with heavy qualifiers that made him sound more like one of today’s conservatives.“I see no magic to tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned,” he continued, smartly summarizing the voodoo economics of Keynesianism.“I do not favor state compulsion when voluntary individual effort can do the job and do it well.”
JESUS IS KING OF KINGS

Holly Springs, NC

#1028594 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
Or I could just GFMyself
Even Kennedy’s “ask what you can do for your country” line may not be as chilling an endorsement of state supremacy as it appears: longtime Democratic operative and pundit Chris Matthews believes it was simply a “hard Republican-sounding slap at the welfare state.” JFK didn’t seem to foresee what would happen to Medicare, calling it “a very modest proposal cut to meet absolutely essential needs, and with sufficient ‘deductible’ requirements to discourage any malingering or unnecessary overcrowding of our hospitals.” He also twice rejected a union proposal to reduce the work week from 40 hours to 35. He kept deficits modest (his budget shortfalls for 1961-63 were, when totalled, only slightly more than the 1959 deficit alone), maintained a strict, inflation-fighting price of $35 to the ounce of gold and, despite his gauzy rhetoric about a New Frontier, framed the Space Race as simply a new front in the Cold War:“Everything that we do really ought to be tied in to getting onto the moon and ahead of the Russians….Otherwise we shouldn’t be spending this kind of money, because I’m not that interested in space.”

Kennedy reserved the bulk of his energy for opposing communism abroad and freeing up markets at home. Pushing for “the fullest possible measure of tariff reduction,” Kennedy made a stirring appeal. In 1962 he said,“The American consumer benefits most of all from an increase in foreign trade. Imports give him a wider choice of products at competitive prices….The warnings against increased imports based upon the lower level of wages paid in other countries are not telling the whole story.” And he added that the “philosophy of the free market” was “not a partisan philosophy” but is “as old as freedom itself.” Kennedy carried on a robust disagreement with statist Sen. Al Gore Sr. about the virtues of Keynesianism: Gore later said,“I thought the real needs of our society lay in the inadequacy of health, education, transportation. These were largely in the public sector. Not the private sector.” He also warned dourly that “once taxes are cut, they are not likely to be reimposed.”

Exactly, replied Kennedy, who understood that only permanent tax cuts provide a true economic stimulus because consumers who expect their taxes to go right back up after a momentary easing tend to spend cautiously.“To increase demand and lift our economy,” he said in 1962,“the Federal Government’s most useful role is not to rush into a program of excessive increases in public expenditures, but to expand the incentives and opportunities for private expenditures….the greatest danger is a tax cut too little or too late to be effective.” Republicans, in general, considered the idea of tax cuts reckless, and in the Kennedy-Nixon debates it was the former who mused about the presumed need to increase taxes. Kennedy even framed his tax relief as a Civil Rights issue:“In 1963 he counted on his tax cut to reduce Negro unemployment,” wrote his adviser Arthur Schlesinger.
joe jo 25

Scranton, PA

#1028595 Nov 22, 2013
Hi! I am using another alias...Today I want to give you my blog address...Here it is...Type in the top browser line these words with a space
between each word santo muerte carmi blog then
click on "enter"...You will come to my blog with
1142 messages written in 2009....There are
6500000 links to my blog.
Love, joe jo 25
JESUS IS KING OF KINGS

Holly Springs, NC

#1028596 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
Or I could just GFMyself
It’s almost impossible to picture a Democrat even speaking this way anymore, and yet Kennedy followed up on his beliefs with action. As his speechwriter Ted Sorensen put it,“In fiscal matters, he was extremely conservative, very cautious about the size of the budget.” He went on to say, years later that Kennedy,“never identified himself as a liberal….on fiscal matters he was more conservative than any president we’ve had since. On Nov. 22, 1963, the fateful motorcade through Dallas was headed for Fort Worth, where Kennedy planned to say these words:“by maintaining a more stable level of prices than almost any of our overseas competitors, and by cutting personal and corporate income taxes by some $11 billion, as I have proposed,[we will] assure this Nation of the longest and strongest expansion in our peacetime economic history.” Ronald Reagan couldn’t have said it better.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kylesmith/2013/11...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1028597 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>The GAO, an independent, nonpartisan agency that works for Congress, is often called the "congressional watchdog." It investigates how the federal government spends taxpayer dollars.
Whether you approved of the tactics or not the corruption of the organization came apparent and they loss their tax payer support.

They went down for documented phony voter registrations. It didn't help that public sentiment was unfavorable to them due to their neck deep involvement in pressing banks to give questionable mortgages to minorities.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1028598 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
Other than rightwing blogs, opinion and people with an egenda I find no proof of any corruption by ACORN
you also proclaimed obamacare a success. Stupid sheep.

"When the troubled federal health care website came online, the key "Anonymous Shopper" function was nowhere to be found -- even though it passed a key test almost two weeks before HealthCare.gov launched.

That successful test, noted in documents obtained by CNN and confirmed by a source close to the project, contradicts testimony from an Obama administration official overseeing HealthCare.gov , who told lawmakers earlier this month the function was scrapped because it "failed miserably" before the October 1 launch.

Like much of the HealthCare.gov rollout, the subject has become political fodder for Republicans, who claim the decision to nix the anonymous shopper was made by administration officials worried it would produce rate estimates so high they would deter potential enrollees.

What is 'Anonymous Shopper?'

The window shopping feature allows website visitors to compare health insurance plans without opening an account, verifying their identity or determining whether they qualify for a federal subsidy. The tool was turned off before HealthCare.gov launched and is still unavailable to users. "
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1028599 Nov 22, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>"posted to post"??? No wonder you're a charter member of the group of mental midgets that thinks ACORN (an acronym) is currently in charge of Obamacare, the IRS, and BEN-GAUZE-EEE <shiver> [email protected] lot of U.
Says the person who practices creative comprehension.

Who the hell said Acorn was in charge of Obamacare-nit wit!
TheIndependentMa jority

Twinsburg, OH

#1028600 Nov 22, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Christie is a sure WINNDER. That's an obvious October surprise, combined with the TEA Party showing up ABOVE and BEYOND, as usual. He'll get nominated louder than sonic sound waves.
Rand Paul is a very possible winner....of sharing some of Uncle Joe's hot n spicy sammiches.
Marco Rubio is a RINO. He'll have the same problem all RINOs have...finding a toothbrush with enough bristles to keep the gleen polished.
Ted Cruz is too confrontational, even though he's 100 percent right. He won't have the visual appeal.
The slam dunk winner is Christie. Andrew Napolitano will like him too. He'd win in a record-setting landslide. The only people he would not appeal to are the percentage of the population that actually support ending the existence of the constitutional republic and the installation of a totalitarian government.
For some reason, there are no polls being conducted to register a feeling for Napilitano as president...probably because he hasn't mentioned running for POTUS publically tot he media.
DB post needs some realignment this a.m.

There, that's better.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1028601 Nov 22, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>She hates him because he's black and because early on she was dreamy over Glenda Beck__spending hour after hour on topix repeating his gibberish then defending it even though largely debunked.
Same with her post on the secret service guy today, it's inaccurate or lies__the guy has a wiki page.
hahaha...wiki page? Those are always reliable. Stupid fck.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1028602 Nov 22, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are upset - Democrats must have done something that does not favor the Republicans
Point!
"Hillary Clinton, spoke out against the nuclear option on May 23, 2005 in the U.S. Senate, when she said to “maintain the integrity” of the body, the Senate should not do what Reid is now doing.
“And I just had to hope that maybe between now and the time we have this vote there would be enough Senators who will say: Mr. President, no. We are sorry, we cannot go there,” Clinton said on the Senate floor.“We are going to remember our Founders. We are going to remember what made this country great. We are going to maintain the integrity of the U.S. Senate.”"

*The GOP can run more commercials against Hillary--and then they can add her screaming melee "What difference does it make..." during the last 6 seconds.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1028603 Nov 22, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh...wish I weren't still resting...because I'm dying to say "only in his mind...only in his mind..."
But since I'm still resting, will have to say it later.
Get well soon.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1028604 Nov 22, 2013
Homer wrote:
...and he can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

you libturds don't realize how delusional you sound.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1028605 Nov 22, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether you approved of the tactics or not the corruption of the organization came apparent and they loss their tax payer support.
They went down for documented phony voter registrations. It didn't help that public sentiment was unfavorable to them due to their neck deep involvement in pressing banks to give questionable mortgages to minorities.
I am just asking for proof of their corruption, that's all.
joe jo 25

Scranton, PA

#1028606 Nov 22, 2013
Hi! I want to write 2 messages this Friday,
November 22, 2013....I got this message in a
dream last night...A man asked me this question
when I was asleep last night...Do you think they
will ever build a tele-transporter?....What is a
tele-transporter? I will explain what it is...It is a way to transport a human that will be broken down
into an electronic signal and transported over an
electrical telephone line....The space aliens have
this technology....I put this idea on line, it is
not original; so some inventer can invent it.
Love, joe jo 25

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 256,631
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Mrs thompjacksiju 201,889
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 hr Earthling-1 10,070
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 17 hr Blue November 311,629
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Aug 27 Trojan 32,332
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web