Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1403962 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1009676 Oct 23, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably a good idea to hold off on the laughter.
Republicans have a year to stand back and watch how the ACA unfolds. They cannot be blamed because they tried to stop it. If it proves a disaster, the last laugh will likely be on the Democrats.
Let's wait and see if the 7 million needed to keep the ACA afloat are signed up by March 2014.
Of course, single-payer is the next card up Obama's and Reid's sleeve if the ACA fails to launch.
Did you have some sort of head trauma?

Obamacare is here to stay; if it evolves into single payer healthcare; which I hope it does; it will be a phenomenal victory for Hillary Clinton.
Meanwhile, the kerraazzzy republicans will keep busy whipping a few thousand more pieces of legislation against womens rights.
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1009677 Oct 23, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Let's Laugh at the People Who Told Obama to Give in to Republicans
I'm no fan of "winners and losers" breakdowns of complicated fights, because I think they're simplistic, and I hate getting heavy Internet traffic for my articles. But it would be irresponsible to move on from Shutdown 2013 without remembering how badly the GOP underestimated Barack Obama. The White House said all year that the president would refuse to negotiate on the debt limit. The president himself said this whenever asked. Republicans didn't buy it.
"Oh, nobody believes that," said Rep. Paul Ryan in a Sept. 28 interview with National Review. "Nobody believes that. He himself negotiated Bowles Simpson on the debt limit with Democrats. That was Kent Conrad’s requirement. He himself negotiated the Budget Control Act with the debt limit. Graham Rudman [sic]. Bush Andrews Airforce Base. Clinton Gore ‘97. All of those major budget agreements were debt limit agreements. I see this time as no different and I believe he does too. I think most people believe he’s just posturing for now."
He was not posturing. Republicans failed to appreciate the president's strengthened position vis-à-vis 2011, when he had lost the House and needed to win re-election. They had a theory that the world had changed since 1995, and the "optics" of a shutdown were changeable. Republicans didn't realize that Obama was doing his best impression of Rorschach after he gets jailed in Watchmen. He wasn't locked in with them. They were locked in with him.*
Let us also raise our glasses the pundits who completely misread the situation.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/10/17/...
Let's raise a glass at that distraction being over and the focus now on the ObamaCare failures. What was that he was giving away again on his Monday Infomercial? Oh yeah a set of 6 steak knives if you can manage to get a password that works in less than 24 hours.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1009678 Oct 23, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The CRA was passed in the 1970's. Are you really this GD stupid?
When Republicans laid the groundwork for the financial meltdown by passing Gramm, leach, Biley, it expanded the number of mortgage lenders. All Clinton did was make sure the CRA applied to these new players in the mortgage market.
CRA loans were not the cause of the meltdown. Most problem mortgages involved no interest, balloon payment type loans. CRA loans are typically long term traditional mortgages.
You people are dumber than sh*t.
1933-38
President Franklin D. Roosevelt initiated "New Deal" reform programs designed to affect the mortgage market and homeownership. Fannie Mae, the Federal National Mortgage Association, was established to facilitate liquidity among lending institutions.

As part of President Johnson's Great Society reform plan, much of Fannie Mae became a privately owned yet government-chartered company, a government-sponsored enterprise, or GSE. Fannie Mae bought home loans to preserve liquidity in the mortgage market. Though private, it remained backed by the federal government.

President Nixon chartered Freddie Mac, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, as a GSE to compete with Fannie Mae.

President Carter, pressed by grass-roots organizations (though opposed by the banking industry) signed the Community Reinvestment Act to boost lending in poorer communities, regardless of the borrowers' ability to repay their home loans.

August 1989
Amid the savings and loan fallout, Congress enacted the Financial Institutions Reform Recovery and Enforcement Act. It mandated public release of lender evaluations and performance ratings, boosting pressure on the banking industry. Such oversight enabled bullying abuses of community organization groups such as ACORN to further influence lending practices.

1990s
Community organizer Barack Obama worked closely with ACORN activists. Employing the intimidation tactics of radical activist Saul Alinsky that Obama had learned and was teaching, activists crowded bank lobbies, blocked drive-up teller lanes and demonstrated at the homes of bankers to browbeat them into risky lending in poor and minority communities. Those who resisted were accused of racism.

At first, the GSEs resisted purchasing risky mortgages. Eventually the Clinton administration instructed them to substantially increase the percentage of these mortgages in their portfolios.

February 1990
Madeline Talbott, a well-known radical ACORN leader and banking industry agitator, challenged the merger of a Chicago thrift, Bell Federal Savings and Loan Association, which responded that it was being bullied into irresponsible "affirmative-action lending policy."

Enforcement of CRA was "sporadic," as the Washington Times notes, until a flawed Federal Reserve Bank of Boston study asserted that there were "substantially higher denial rates for black and Hispanic applicants than for white applicants."

October 1992
Rep. Jim Leach, R-Iowa, warned about the impending danger nonregulated GSEs posed. He worried that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were changing "from being agencies of the public at large to money machines for the stockholding few."
Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., countered that "the companies served a public purpose. They were in the business of lowering the price of mortgage loans."

November 1994
President Clinton addressed the housing issue: "I am committed to a new and unprecedented partnership between industry leaders and community leaders and government to recommit our nation to the idea of homeownership and to create more homeowners than ever before."

June 1995
Republicans won control of Congress and planned CRA reforms. The Clinton administration, allied with Frank, Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., and Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., did an end-around by directing HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo to inject GSEs into the subprime mortgage market.
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1009679 Oct 23, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dumbo. I recall you defending Democrats stance on Voter ID. You scoundrels just want anyone to be able to show up and vote.
To illustrate what hypocrites you are, let me tell you what my state is telling me on my drivers license renewal so I can get a "verified" drivers license that as a valid federal ID so I can use it for air travel, etc.
To renew the license as "verified" they require "ALL" of the following documents:
1 - Passport or Birth Certificate
2 - Social Security Card or W-2 or 1099
3 - Bill from a Bank, credit card or utility company
4 - Bank Statement or pre-printed pay stub or property tax bill
If non-US born, also need more stuff
This is no chit, and it's our Obama/Democrat Federal Gibberment requiring this, hypocrite!!!!!
Yet, a bozo like you says it's too much to ask a voter to bring a single form of ID?
Dolt.
E-verify dumbazz, Florida has and it's a btch for divorced women who've remarried and anyone from overseas. And that birth certificate better be a "certified original copy" and not one of those copies that have been in your file cabinet for 40 years.

The program was established in 1997

www.gathergoget.com
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1009681 Oct 23, 2013
Public Again Out of Touch with Washington?

Republicans are filled with an unchained glee by the missteps and bumbles of the Obamacare website roll-out. Meanwhile, people who support the law and care about people getting coverage not only lament the debacle in human terms but also see a chance to show how government can concretely deliver benefits for people's lives being squandered for trivial reasons. And yet, if you look at the polls, through this process, support for the law has either held steady or even bumped up while all of this has been happening. It's too early to say how this is affecting public perceptions of the law. But even the short-term repercussions may not be what we'd imagine.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/public-ag...
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1009682 Oct 23, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Republican. Can't see the truth when it is right in front of your face.
When we see some we'll let you know....
TheIndependentMa jority

Brodhead, KY

#1009683 Oct 23, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>Obamakare is a Trojan horse...
It's the culture...
w/ horshoes on wrong that are not backward compatible LOL

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1009684 Oct 23, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
The Shutdown Was Not a Failed Strategy. It Wasn’t a Strategy at All
....In the wake of the debacle, reporters and mortified Republican pragmatists alike have attempted to reconstruct the erroneous thinking that led the GOP to undertake a doomed strategy. There certainly were elements of legitimate miscalculation at play.(The simplest and least appreciated is that many of them initially believed shutting down the government would halt Obamacare, and by the time they learned otherwise, they had already printed up the T-shirts.)
In the most important ways, though, the tea party’s strategy was not a strategy at all. On the surface, demanding an end to Obamacare in return for reopening the federal government was an insane negotiating strategy. Attempting to analyze these demands in strategic terms misses the point. It’s not a plan to achieve a defined legislative end. It’s a demonstration of dissent from a political faction that has no chance of winning through regular political channels. The problem they are attempting to solve in each case is not “how do we achieve this policy objective?” but “how can we express our outrage?"
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/10/...
FOXbots in Congress doesn't seem to be working.
What government shutdown?
I don't recall any government shutdown.

What planet do you live on?
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1009685 Oct 23, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the part Real Dave needs repeated:
All of this gave Fannie’s executives free rein to underwrite far more loans, further enriching themselves and their shareholders, but at increasing risk to taxpayers as lending standards declined.
Countrywide abandoned standards altogether, even doctoring loans to make applicants look creditworthy, while generating a fortune for its co-founder, Angelo R. Mozilo.
Wall Street banks received fat fees underwriting securities issued by Fannie and Freddie, and even more money providing lenders like Countrywide with lines of credit to expand their risky lending and then bundling the mortgages into securities they peddled to their clients.
The Democrats didn't care.
Round #114 of Aunt Pity Party talking out her azz about a topic in which she's completely clueless.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1009686 Oct 23, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
In Utah, tea party favorite Sen. Lee faces GOP backlash over government shutdown
Spencer Zwick, a Utah native and national finance chairman for Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign, was more direct, calling Lee a “show horse” who “just wants to be a spectacle.”
“Business leaders that I talk to, many of whom supported him, would never support his reelection and in fact will work against him, myself included,” Zwick said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-uta...
as if any Republicans are interested in anything coming from anybody associated with the disastrous Romney campaign.....
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1009687 Oct 23, 2013
Never Have Republicans Been More Disliked Than Right Now as GOP Unfavorables Hit 64%

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/10/23/republ...

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1009688 Oct 23, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
That Straight party line vote was in the Senate with Republicans voting yes & Democrats voting no.
The Republicans controlled the Senate in 2004
How does the President of the US filibuster? Wow, Dumbwaiter. Just how dumb are you?
Ok. I'll explain something you seem to be ignorant of. Barry Soetoro wasn't president in 2006, idiot.

In 2004 there was a Republican initiative to re-instate the Glass Steagall Act, but it didn't have enough support to get to the Senate floor for a vote.
In 2006 there was enough support to get to the Senate floor for a vote, but Christopher Dodd threatened to fillibuster the initiative, WITH BARACK OBAMA STANDING IMMEDIATELY TO DODD'S RIGHT IN THE PHOTO OP.
In January, 2009, Obama is clueless he threatened to fillibuster the re-instatement of the Glass Steagall Act and publicly called for its re-instatement.
This should have been a solid clue to everyone Obama doesn't have a clue what he does in government.
Since, the trail of clues that Obama doesn't have a clue what happens in government is more than the trail a thousand Hansels and Gretels would leave in their trek to getting lost in the woods...
Which is where the country finds itself today... lost in the woods.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1009689 Oct 23, 2013
Laney F wrote:
<quoted text>Let's raise a glass at that distraction being over and the focus now on the ObamaCare failures. What was that he was giving away again on his Monday Infomercial? Oh yeah a set of 6 steak knives if you can manage to get a password that works in less than 24 hours.
didn't you just throw out the usual right wing bs about the housing bust?

if i were you i'd stop compounding that error.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1009690 Oct 23, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
What planet do you live on?
not the FOXbot planet.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1009691 Oct 23, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to keep up, dip[stick.
The subject was the ACA.
We weren't taking about the subsidies that pay your salary.
Would you bve referring to those mythical subsidies to oil companies yu can't find any evidence of?

And you want to convince us that the Democrats intend to give welfare to some useless PoS now and their plan is to take it away later?

<nuts>
<clueless>
... looking for a <dunce> icon....
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1009692 Oct 23, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
as if any Republicans are interested in anything coming from anybody associated with the disastrous Romney campaign.....
LMAO

from love to hate on election day.

so who did you vote for?

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1009693 Oct 23, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
when someone repeatedly posts the same thing isn't that propaganda?
and i'm pretty sure that makes you an Alinsky disciple.
No. It's continually bringing you back to a post you run away from because you answering the post will prove you to be an ignorant dupe.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1009694 Oct 23, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
not the FOXbot planet.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1009695 Oct 23, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You skipped the post immediately following your description of the SIM criteria.
I pointed out to you that the SIM criteria is determined by a secret committee nobody knows who's on it.
I also pointed out to you two cases where this committee adjudicating SIM criteris intentionally ignored muslim terrorists.
Perhaps you intentionally didn't show that post from me.
Obama has ordered there be no spying on muslim institutions in the US.
You're entitled to your own opinion. You're not entitled to your own facts. Go back and show the post where I identified the two specific cases as evidence Obama does not allow intelligence to be collected on muslim terrorist institutions in the US.
I didn't "ignore" your post at all. This is what I said about your post on SIM:

"I gave you the FBI provision dealing with such matters to prove that Obama did not exempt Muslim institutions to which you replied with a rambling conspiracy theory about decisions on sensitive investigative matters (SIMs)being made by some secret committee that no one knows about and of which Obama must "obviously" be calling the shots. It was a ridiculous post that didn't rate a reply."
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1009696 Oct 23, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that be the truth where can keep your existing insurance plan?
Maybe the truth where you can keep your own doctor?
Or maybe the one where Benghazi was due to a video?
Are those the "truths" you are talking about idiot stick?
ObammyCare will be the gift that keeps giving. Free everything via redistribution of healthcare and a wakeup to the middle class who will suffer the unintended consequences of another failed Democrat entitlement.

And here's another truth: We’re doing worse than even Obama economists predicted had we done NOTHING.

The result?

Forget the One Percent: Today we have 50 percent of families who have fulltime employment and 50 percent who don’t, but want fulltime employment.

That’s the real divide in America.

This divide is sponsored by Obamacare, the Dodd-Frank Banks and IRS offices near you.

Can I take a moment to shout out the obvious point that somehow the media missed, mostly likely because the point resides at the top of their head?

You may not like the Republicans, but come on: One has to admit, after 5 full years of stewardship, that the Democrats have NO EARTHLY CLUE about the economy and how jobs are created.

If your problem was income inequality (so-called), it’s gotten worse not better under Obama.

If your problem was Big Banks, the problem got worse not better.

If your problem was cronyism and corruption, the problem has gotten worse not better.

If your problem was healthcare, the problem has gotten worse not better.

Because of Obamacare, for example, insurance companies across the nation are, in some instances, canceling up to 80% of existing policies affecting hundreds of thousands, and even perhaps—likely actually-- millions of policies.

“Health plans are sending hundreds of thousands of cancellation letters to people who buy their own coverage,” reports NBCNews,“frustrating some consumers who want to keep what they have and forcing others to buy more costly policies.”

In Florida one company sent 300,000 cancelation notices.

In California, Kaiser Permanente sent 160,000 notices. NBCNews says that one company “in Pittsburgh is dropping about 20 percent of its individual market customers, while Independence Blue Cross, the major insurer in Philadelphia, is dropping about 45 percent.”

The math says that millions of insured will not be able to keep their existing coverage, breaking a promise that Obama and the Democrats made when rushing Obamacare through.

And of course, the cost is high. Higher than many want to reckon, even.

Insurance premiums are going up. They have to. More people will be covered and more coverage will be offered.

Even Ezra Klein admits this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Thinking 255,965
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Brian_G 311,489
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr litesong 9,989
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 11 hr NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 23 Trojan 32,307
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web