Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Homer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1006698 Oct 18, 2013
It's pretty obvious rightwingers were jamming up the phones and ACA websites. How could the Obama administration take into consideration what a bunch of azzholes there are? Of course they could have consulted with Homer and put a contingency plan in place.

Rightwingers are evil, devious, spiteful people, we know this.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1006699 Oct 18, 2013
I see they brought JoeBiden comes out of hiding to deliver muffins. Every admin needs a muffin man.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1006700 Oct 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the Obama admin wants to block all those people who couldn't complete their apps the first time.
lol!

"That is a strange and baseless analysis." - whatever

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1006701 Oct 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just about any reputable tech company could roll out a website even with an anticipated huge number initially signing on.
Tell me what high tech company couldn't or hasn't done that.
I doubt this has ever been done before. The website must connect with HHS, IRS, Social Security, Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services as well as individual state exchanges. All those state exchanges must also be able to connect to the Federal Hub. It is a massive undertaking and, IMO, amazing that it is working as well as it is.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1006702 Oct 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama and Reid did not dig in their heels. They said over and over again they were willing to negotiate on decreasing government spending...just not on defunding the Affordable Care Act. There never would have been a shutdown if House Republicans had sat down and compromised. What we ended up with was basically the same deal that Republicans balked at before the shutdown.
I do believe that things won't go so badly next round because the Teatards have had their wings clipped. Sounder minds will force them to take a back seat.
Yeah, but the defunding part was soon dropped.

Do you know the only two changes in Obamacare the Republicans settled on and asked for to avoid a shutdown?

I'd really like to know if you know this.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1006703 Oct 18, 2013
After a house fire...what really is important...

HINT: foodstamps

I wonder who this woman voted for?

LCNLin

United States

#1006704 Oct 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's pretty much the star of the show now.
Except when the debt ceiling debate starts up again in January.
Think Obama and Reid might be willing to negotiate this time and be willing to decrease government spending so this won't be a continuing crisis until we're bankrupt?
Or no?
Time will tell.
Compromise often works.
In the meantime Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Peace
Homer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1006705 Oct 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Turns out Romney was right. Trying to get the 47% back on the right track was like trying to stop a herd of stampeding buffalo from running off a cliff.
Just can't be done. Once the stampede starts, buffalo just follow the buffalo in front of them in blind lockstep.
It was an asinine thing for him to say, Romney was/is an idiot. Praise Jesus he didn't win.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1006706 Oct 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know the only two changes in Obamacare the Republicans settled on and asked for to avoid a shutdown?
How odd...

You normally rely on your opinions to cover those gaps... well, more like canyons!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1006707 Oct 18, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
Cruz can read!!!!! who knew? I thought he just got his talking points from watch Faux News
Reading and comprehending are two different things. I don't hold out much hope for him.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1006708 Oct 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt this has ever been done before. The website must connect with HHS, IRS, Social Security, Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services as well as individual state exchanges. All those state exchanges must also be able to connect to the Federal Hub. It is a massive undertaking and, IMO, amazing that it is working as well as it is.
All the more reason why we need smaller government.

These departments have a hard enough time managing their own affairs.

Now they have to work in concert to try and manage their own affairs plus all of our personal affairs?

You really can't see just how crazy this is, can you?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1006709 Oct 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should ask dbwriter. He kept claiming there were multiple proposals on the senate's door step.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1006710 Oct 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your healthcare worth risking on a crappy Network/INFRASTRUCTURE?

really?

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1006711 Oct 18, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
People looking for health insurance will stick around until things are ironed out.
Of course people looking for tax payer subsidized health insurance will stick around. They'll wait as long as it takes to get what they think is owed them by the hard working, American tax payers earning over 200k per year.

Remember, American tax payers earning 200k and over and who vote other than democrat are mean and greedy and unfair.
Homer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1006712 Oct 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
I see they brought JoeBiden comes out of hiding to deliver muffins. Every admin needs a muffin man.
You remember Dan Quayle and can you imagine muffin lady Sarah Palin? <shudder>

Jesus, thank God for Joe Biden.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1006713 Oct 18, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that the little ol' Tea Party has run roughshod over the Obama administration causing "messes"?
I guess the shelf-life of it's "Bush's fault" did have an expiration date.
Homer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1006714 Oct 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Homer works for a tech company, it's actually pretty impressive. The ACA website is impressive too.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1006715 Oct 18, 2013
Recent prison breaks have bolstered al Qaeda's ranks, while feelings of Sunni marginalization and the chaos caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria are fueling its comeback.

"Nobody is able to control this situation," said Ali, who watches over a Sunni graveyard that sprang up next to the hallowed Abu Hanifa mosque in 2006, when sectarian fighting threatened to engulf Iraq in all-out civil war.

"We are not safe in the coffee shops or mosques, not even in soccer fields," he continued, rattling off some of the targets hit repeatedly in recent months.

The pace of the killing accelerated significantly following a deadly crackdown by security forces on a camp for Sunni protesters in the northern town of Hawija in April. United Nations figures show 712 people died violently in Iraq that month, at the time the most since 2008.

The monthly death toll hasn't been that low since. September saw 979 killed.

Al Qaeda does not have a monopoly on violence in Iraq, a country where most households have at least one assault rifle tucked away. Other Sunni militants, including the Army of the Men of the Naqshabandi Order, which has ties to members of Saddam Hussein's now-outlawed Baath party, also carry out attacks, as do Shiite militias that are remobilizing as the violence escalates.

But al Qaeda's indiscriminate waves of car bombs and suicide attacks, often in civilian areas, account for the bulk of the bloodshed.

69 PHOTOS
Iraq invasion: 10 years later
At least 42 people were killed in new wave of bombings in mostly Shiite-majority cities on Sunday.

The group earlier this year renamed itself the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, highlighting its cross-border ambitions. It is playing a more active military role alongside other predominantly Sunni rebels in the fight to topple Syrian President Bashar Assad, and its members have carried out attacks against Syrians near the porous border inside Iraq.

The United States believes the group's leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, is now operating from Syria.

"Given the security vacuum, it makes sense for him to do that," said Paul Floyd, a military analyst at global intelligence company Stratfor who served several U.S. Army tours in Iraq. He said the unrest in Syria could be making it even easier for al Qaeda to get its hands on explosives for use in Iraq.

"We know Syrian military stocks have fallen into the hands of rebels. There's nothing to preclude some of that stuff flowing across the border," he said.

Iraqi officials acknowledge the group is growing stronger.

Al Qaeda has begun actively recruiting more young Iraqi men to take part in suicide missions after years of relying primarily on foreign volunteers, according to two intelligence officials. They said al-Baghdadi has issued orders calling for 50 attacks per week, which if achieved would mark a significant escalation.

One of the officials estimated that al Qaeda now has at least 3,000 trained fighters in Iraq alone, including some 100 volunteers awaiting orders to carry out suicide missions. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to disclose intelligence information.

A study released this month by the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War said al Qaeda in Iraq has emerged as "an extremely vigorous, resilient, and capable organization" that can operate as far south as Iraq's Persian Gulf port of Basra.

The group "has reconstituted as a professional military force capable of planning, training, resourcing and executing synchronized and complex attacks in Iraq," author Jessica Lewis added.

The study found that al Qaeda was able to carry out 24 separate attacks involving waves of six or more car bombs on a single day during a one-year period that coincided with the terror group's "Breaking the Walls" campaign, which ended in July.
Homer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1006716 Oct 18, 2013
So the Tea Baggers took 24 billion out of the economy, set fire to the Republican party and you're all back on Topix to whine about Obama.

Some things never change.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1006717 Oct 18, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading and comprehending are two different things. I don't hold out much hope for him.
Cruz is just playing to his base.

I'm just curious if they all see themselves just as nutty as him!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr New Age Spiritual... 238,154
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Pearl Jam 309,692
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr tom wingo 29,669
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 22 hr TerryE 5,306
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Apr 19 UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
More from around the web