Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#981456 Sep 12, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
If Syria doesn't surrender it's chemical weapons; there will likely be a strike. It's up to him now, do it or get smashed to smithereens.
Does anyone like that scenario? No. But that's probably going to be the outcome.
Let's hope that diplomacy will prevail.
...and the hell with Congress, which will not approve the resolution???
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#981457 Sep 12, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i think you mean austerity doesn't work.
I'm still waiting for these reich wing nuts to point to another country and show in the REAL world how being conservative actually works and is profitable for all!

It's been awfully quiet
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#981458 Sep 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confused because you keep trying to claim Greece just one day decided to engage in austerity measures. They didn't.
Greece was bankrupt from their birth to grave social programs. No money to keep operating government. So, begged for and was given loans IMF now admits they did not qualify for.
ok then, since it matters not, 2010. the result is the same.

In early 2010, Greece's staggering deficit/debt problems turned into a major financial crisis when its sovereign debt was downgraded by rating agencies into junk territory, freezing Greece out of international capital markets. On May of that year, Europe and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) agreed to a €110 billion financing plan for Greece, which involved major budget cuts, slashes in wages and pensions, sharp tax increases, labor market reforms and privatization of state assets - i.e., a financing plan with the usual neoliberal adjustment strings attached. The plan was such a flop that it led less than two years later to a second bailout program worth €130 billion, which included even harsher structural adjustment and austerity measures than the first loan agreement

....The international bailouts of Greece have been an unmitigated economic and social disaster, as a recently released econometric analysis of the Greek economic crisis by the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College attests, dispelling EU/IMF and Greek government officials' myths and lies about the alleged success of the Greek program.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18027-aust...

austerity doesn't work.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#981459 Sep 12, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Greece should just withdraw from the EU and become a member of the Third World.
Did you notice Ghostie was blathering on under about 6-7 different names this morning from Ashburn Va? Then switched back to yeah in HI.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#981460 Sep 12, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in fear that Muhammad Ali will murder me in my sleep.
What does it matter? Your brain is already dead.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#981461 Sep 12, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Diet soda has the exact same calorie count as water.
so they quit selling non-diet soda?
Whatever

Gering, NE

#981462 Sep 12, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Who Is Defending Austerity Now?
The Excel error heard 'round the world has deficit-cutters backpedaling
Austerity has been a policy in search of a justification ever since it began in 2010. Back then, policymakers decided it was time for policy to go back to "normal" even though the economy hadn't, because deficits just felt too big. The only thing they needed was a theory telling them why what they were doing made sense. Of course, this wasn't easy when unemployment was still high, and interest rates couldn't go any lower. Alberto Alesina and Silvia Ardagna took the first stab at it, arguing that reducing deficits would increase confidence and growth in the short-run. But this had the defect of being demonstrably untrue (in addition to being based off a naïve reading of the data). Countries that tried to aggressively cut their deficits amidst their slumps didn't recover; they fell into even deeper slumps.
Enter Carmen Reinhart and Ken Rogoff. They gave austerity a new raison d'être by shifting the debate from the short-to-the-long-run. Reinhart and Rogoff acknowledged austerity would hurt today, but said it would help tomorrow -- if it keeps governments from racking up debt of 90 percent of GDP, at which point growth supposedly slows dramatically. Now, this result was never more than just a correlation -- slow growth more likely causes high debt than the reverse -- but that didn't stop policymakers from imputing totemic significance to it. That is, it became a "fact" that everybody who mattered knew was true.
Except it wasn't. Reinhart and Rogoff goofed. They accidentally excluded some data in one case, and used some wrong data in another; the former because of an Excel snafu. If you correct for these very basic errors, their correlation gets even weaker, and the growth tipping point at 90 percent of GDP disappears. In other words, there's no there there anymore.
Austerity is back to being a policy without a justification.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2...
The error was the IMF attempting to keep Greece in the Eurozone rather than having them go bankrupt.

If you think a bankrupt Greece would not have to make disastrous cuts than you are naive.

The flaw with your article is assuming a bankrupt country will still have someone who will loan them money to keep operational. Who would that be?

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#981463 Sep 12, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue is bottled water versus tap water, you dolt.
If fat pig Moochelle wants to encourage children to drink water instead of soda, then she should educate them on the safety of tap water versus the huge negative environmental impact of the bottled water industry. Instead she chose to shill for the bottlers.
Many of whom are just bottling tap water, anyway, and then charging an exorbitant price.
But, hey, there's a sucker born every minute.
Tell my girls that all the time. I flat refuse to buy bottled water.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#981464 Sep 12, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Eed thinks every state is run like Washington.
I have news, Moocher Eed, some states have deregulated the electricity market.
I have more news, you can opt for more renewable electricity from your supplier. http://www.inlandpower.com/energy_mattersc.ph...
"real dumb"
You one more time speak of something you nothing about. You really think Inland Power is going to run a line to my house. The power they supply is not available in the city. Avista provides the power and the infastructure.
Peace
KMA
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#981465 Sep 12, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah they work just fine. SSI liability $16.5 trillion, prescription drug liability $22 trillion, medicare liability $87 trillion. Total $125 trillion plus $17 trillion is $142 trillion. Yeah they worked real well! LMAO!!!!
maybe if you could get the Tea Party faithful to agree to cut some of those programs.....

seems they think they work just fine.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#981466 Sep 12, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
ok then, since it matters not, 2010. the result is the same.
In early 2010, Greece's staggering deficit/debt problems turned into a major financial crisis when its sovereign debt was downgraded by rating agencies into junk territory, freezing Greece out of international capital markets. On May of that year, Europe and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) agreed to a €110 billion financing plan for Greece, which involved major budget cuts, slashes in wages and pensions, sharp tax increases, labor market reforms and privatization of state assets - i.e., a financing plan with the usual neoliberal adjustment strings attached. The plan was such a flop that it led less than two years later to a second bailout program worth €130 billion, which included even harsher structural adjustment and austerity measures than the first loan agreement
....The international bailouts of Greece have been an unmitigated economic and social disaster, as a recently released econometric analysis of the Greek economic crisis by the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College attests, dispelling EU/IMF and Greek government officials' myths and lies about the alleged success of the Greek program.
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18027-aust...
austerity doesn't work.
So, what's your solution for Greece, economic genius?

Your thoughts only, cut-and-paste will be ignored.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#981467 Sep 12, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still waiting for these reich wing nuts to point to another country and show in the REAL world how being conservative actually works and is profitable for all!
It's been awfully quiet
i see that the conservative Brits are acting just like ours.

so they can't use Britain for an example.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#981468 Sep 12, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Did you notice Ghostie was blathering on under about 6-7 different names this morning from Ashburn Va? Then switched back to yeah in HI.
Galt has a program that automatically deletes any posts from that draft-dodging scumbag.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#981469 Sep 12, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
Q. What do you call a Democrat with an IQ of 120?
A. A foursome!
Hmmmmmm....... that's what you'd call "A democrat" son?

interesting......
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#981470 Sep 12, 2013
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"sonic"
We all know what you will be doing today;
- Watching Fox News
- Googling left wing sites
Why will you do this? So you will have plenty of BS to demean your favorite subject, Fox News.
Peace
KMA
FOX demeans it's self. i just point it out.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#981471 Sep 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
You made that up!
Assad's government is secular and allows for freedom of religion.
The Christians as well as other groups who supported continuation of this secular government approached the US for support in overthrowing Assad. However, the US gave this responsibility of identifying rebels to Turkey.
Turkey threw the support behind the Muslim Brotherhood and the many terrorist groups associated with it.
The Christians are being slaughtered because Islamic fanatics do this as they are in Egypt. They kill and do force conversions.
Your Iraq claim is a false flag as well. The constitution of Iraq allows for freedom of religion. The insurgency however does follow the constitution.
Still looking for your declarations of wars son.

Have you found them yet?

Or did you make that up?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#981472 Sep 12, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
so they quit selling non-diet soda?
Are you opposed to choice?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#981473 Sep 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
The error was the IMF attempting to keep Greece in the Eurozone rather than having them go bankrupt.
If you think a bankrupt Greece would not have to make disastrous cuts than you are naive.
The flaw with your article is assuming a bankrupt country will still have someone who will loan them money to keep operational. Who would that be?
Exactly.

Without the IMF bailout, Greece would be Detroit.

Detroit should have gone on an austerity program 30 years ago.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#981474 Sep 12, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Tell my girls that all the time. I flat refuse to buy bottled water.
Galt has never purchased a single bottle of bottled water. Just filter the tap water.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#981475 Sep 12, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still waiting for these reich wing nuts to point to another country and show in the REAL world how being conservative actually works and is profitable for all!
It's been awfully quiet
Privatizing Social Security: The Chilean Experience

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 21 min Joe fortuna 201,156
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 50 min NinaRocks 2,662
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 54 min Joe fortuna 232,798
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Pearl Jam 306,955
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr FLORIDA SWAMPER 28,365
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec 16 The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web