Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1234137 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#960382 Aug 6, 2013
President Barack Obama’s former chair of the Council of Economic Advisors, Christina Romer, did a study in 2007 which found that for every $1 in tax cuts, there is a corresponding rise in GDP of $3. Virtually all economists agree that tax cuts have some positive effect on growth.

(So the "Bush tax cuts" argument is out.)

Even with tax cuts and wars together with the economic downturn following 9/11, the deficit spending was relatively modest and certainly manageable.

The collapse was largely set in motion by the insolvency of Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns. Neither of these investment banks had insured deposits.

In 2003, the Bush administration did, in fact, propose a new agency to oversee Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. It was opposed by House Democrats.

In 2005, the Senate Banking Committee, under Republican control, proposed a bill to regulate Fannie and Freddie. All Republicans on the Committee supported the bill. All Democrats voted against it.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/1646/bush-p...

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#960383 Aug 6, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
Shareholder expectations play a bigger role. Before you bust a nut, remember you l.l.w. are praising the stock market.
Raising the minimum wage and full employment policies have never been detrimental to economic growth and development , but did enhance the benefits to all members participating in the economy and society.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#960384 Aug 6, 2013
The Cardinal Sin

In making common cause with the Surveillance State, the Obscene 14 have thrown in their lot with same forces that have, for the past two generations, placed Black America under hyper-surveillance – the foundation of both mass Black incarceration and the social environment that allows the stalking and murder of hundreds of innocent Black people every year in the United States. African Americans, more than any other U.S. constituency, have an existential interest in ending the Surveillance State. In that struggle, the Obscene 14 and their ilk are more than useless; they have chosen the side of the enemy, and will inevitably commit more treachery.

“All 14 should be excised, like a malignancy, from the African American polity.”

Back in October of 2002, only four members of the Black Caucus voted for George Bush’s War Powers Act, Congress’ consent to the invasion of Iraq. Of the four, only Georgia’s Sanford Bishop – who voted, predictably, for continued NSA bulk telephonic spying – remains in the House; William Jefferson (LA), Harold Ford Jr.(TN) and Albert Wynn (MD) are, thankfully, gone. Yet, 2002’s “Four Eunuchs of War” have been replaced and reinforced in infamy by today’s Obscene 14 – a full third of the CBC. In the intervening decade, the historical Black Consensus on peace and social justice has been assaulted as never before by the massive entrance of corporate money into Black politics, and the ascent of a corporatist Black militarist to the White House – which are, in reality, two aspects of the same phenomenon. The Obscene 14 have chosen their side in the U.S. War Against All. The last place such persons belong is in leadership positions among the people who suffer most from racial and political surveillance.

BLACK RACISM VOTED FOR THIS BECAUSE OBAMA IS "BLACK"

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#960385 Aug 6, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Such as what?
The so-called rapid acceleration has never been proven mechanically and is likely driver error.
GM vehicles fall apart in a few years and 100,000 miles is a stretch, whereas just the break-in period for Japanese cars.
it was proven one night I seen it on Nightline this automotive instructor demostrated on TV and also went to the NHTSA and demostrated what he found out and it is a flaw electrically in all toyota vehicles.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#960386 Aug 6, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>So what's your point? Most of those occurred before 911.
what is the point, Democrats were for it too.
Anthony W

New York, NY

#960387 Aug 6, 2013
I find these Obama jokes so disrespectful.

Obama brings home a pet skunk, and michelle sez, where will you keep it? Obama sez, I guess under our bed, michelle sez, what about the smell? Obama sez, well, he'll get used to it, just like I did.

Obama walks into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder, the bartender sez, wher'd ya get that? the parrot sez, Kenya, the place is full of em.

Orlando, FL

#960388 Aug 6, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
As republicans divide and decline they become more shrill
The Republican tent is growing. Libertarians, Independents, moderate Democrats and a growing number of black republicans decided they were under the wrong tent.

Republicans are divided temporarily trying to find the best way to save your ass from Obamacare.

I think you should find out you've been a fool the hard way myself.

Orlando, FL

#960389 Aug 6, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The debt has not tripled. You people are dumber than sh*t.
The Debt when Obama took office was around 10.5 trillion.
The financial meltdown was announced in August of 2008. The Democrats had controlled Congress for 18 months, not two years. What policy did they change to create this?
The Recession started in 4th quarter of 2007. Please list the legislation the Democrats passed in the first 9 months of 2007 that created this recession. How much debt is directly attributabe to the Bush recession?
The housing collapse started in 2006.
Carol, you keep worshiping George Bush, Eric Cantor,John Boehner, Mitch McConnell & Paul Ryan. They took us from the balance budget you fricken idiots vlim to love to economic disaster. ON PURPOSE. They voted to take us off that path.
Go back into your bubble of denial. It's safer for you there.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#960390 Aug 6, 2013
If America going to Recover from this Economic Disaster we need to Free ourselves from Liberal addiction’ Tax/Spend Obamacare!’ If we need proof Liberalism leads to despotism Detroit, Chicago, California and what’s the Liberals answer to solving our Economic Crisis MORE OF THE SAME!!
Anthony W

New York, NY

#960391 Aug 6, 2013
This is why I want to be Mayor. The children of New York City should not have to sleep with their mothers because they have nightmares about being shot by the NYPD!

Fourteen-year-old killed by NYPD cop a gang member, ex-shooting suspect:

A Bronx resident who claims to have witness Shaaliver Douse shoot a gang rival says:‘They rob people. They move drugs — weed, crack, whatever they can get their hands on. They all carry guns.’

Douse was arrested May 24 for attempted murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy linked to a Bronx gang called the Lyman Place Bosses. The victim was shot in the left shoulder at a BP gas station on Boston Road at Jefferson Place, just a mile and a half from where Douse died 3 a.m. Sunday.

The Bronx district attorney declined to prosecute Douse after the 15-year-old could not identify who shot him, a DA spokesman said.

Douse was due back in a Bronx courtroom later this month for a weapons possession charge stemming from a different arrest. Cops saw him drop a loaded .32-caliber H&R revolver on Crotona Ave. on Oct. 10, court papers say.

In her first public comments about her son’s death, Shanise Farrar described Douse as a child who slept with her because he was frightened by nightmares of being harmed by cops.

“I’m not saying he’s the best,” Farrar said near a shrine for her son at Gouverneur Morris Houses, where they lived.“But he’s my angel.”

Douse was firing from a 9-mm pistol at an unidentified man when two rookie cops on patrol saw him and ordered him to drop his weapon. When he didn’t, one officer fired a single shot, striking the teen in the jaw, cops said.

NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the shooting appeared justified.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mother-ar...

What kind of a world is this when your 14 year old is running around outside at 3am shooting people he has to worry about being shot by police!

Barack Obama needs to make a speech about the injustice of this crime too!
WOW

Bronx, NY

#960392 Aug 6, 2013
Anthony W wrote:
I find these Obama jokes so disrespectful.
Obama brings home a pet skunk, and michelle sez, where will you keep it? Obama sez, I guess under our bed, michelle sez, what about the smell? Obama sez, well, he'll get used to it, just like I did.
Obama walks into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder, the bartender sez, wher'd ya get that? the parrot sez, Kenya, the place is full of em.
THEY ARE PUBLIC FIGURES lolololololololhahahahahahahah aha DID YOU HEAR THE WHERE OBAMA SAID HE WOULD BE HONEST
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#960393 Aug 6, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Supported claims have been coming out of the woodwork for the past five years. You ignore all of them.
Maybe this will convince you?
“I think that the responsibility that the Democrats had may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress, or by me when I was President, to put some standards and tighten up a little on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.”– Former President Bill Clinton (D-AR), September 25, 2008
“Like a lot of my Democratic colleagues I was too slow to appreciate the recklessness of Fannie and Freddie. I defended their efforts to encourage affordable homeownership when in retrospect I should have heeded the concerns raised by their regulator in 2004. Frankly, I wish my Democratic colleagues would admit when it comes to Fannie and Freddie, we were wrong.”– Congressman Artur Davis (D-AL), September 30, 2008
Here we go again.

Facts will convince me. Your politics wont.

But if you really want to play politics, look at the dates bieng referenced.... 2000 - 2008.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/07/news/companie...

"Bank of America in $10 billion settlement with Fannie Mae
By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney January 7, 2013: 1:44 PM ET

BofA reached a $10.3 billion settlement with Fannie Mae on Monday.
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Bank of America has reached a $10.3 billion settlement with Fannie Mae to deal with questionable home loans it sold to the government-backed mortgage financer during the housing bubble.

BofA (BAC, Fortune 500) will pay $3.55 billion in cash to Fannie as part of the deal. It will also repurchase 30,000 questionable mortgages that are likely to produce losses, paying Fannie $6.75 billion for the loans. The loans had been bundled into mortgage-backed securities, and then were bought and guaranteed by Fannie Mae.

The purchase of bad home loans by Fannie Mae led to massive losses, a government takeover in 2008 and a $116 billion bailout to keep it functioning as a major source of home loans.

The loans were originated between 2000 and 2008 by Countrywide Financial, a leading mortgage and subprime home loan lender that BofA purchased for $4 billion in 2008. The loans covered by the settlement had an original value of $1.4 trillion.

In addition, BofA announced it agreed to sell the servicing rights on 2 million other mortgages worth a total of about $306 billion, as the bank moves to put distance between itself and many of its problematic home loans. BofA will pay an additional $1.3 billion to Fannie to resolve servicing issues.

The agreement comes the same day that the Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency reached a separate $8.5 billion settlement with 10 banks, including BofA, to settle foreclosure abuse charges. The other banks are Aurora, Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500), MetLife Bank (MET, Fortune 500), PNC (PNC, Fortune 500), SunTrust (STI, Fortune 500), U.S. Bank (USB, Fortune 500), Wells Fargo (WFC, Fortune 500) and Sovereign Bank, a unit of Santander (SOVPRC)...."

Orlando, FL

#960394 Aug 6, 2013
Anthony W wrote:
<quoted text>Hey! Get off Obama's back lady. He's making speeches about jobs and worried about carbon even while on vacation. Get your priorities straight!
Oops, my bad. He most definitely is he an excellent reader in delivering the same speech but it's also clear the only press coverage he gets is when he's creating racial tension talking about a local tragedy in Sanford, Florida, or calling a black athlete to congratulate him on coming out of the closet.

What could I possibly have been thinking? Keeping us informed about important matters and being truthful isn't on Valerie Jarrett's priority list.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#960395 Aug 6, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>what is the point, Democrats were for it too.
So is it now your contention bushie boy was simply following up and executing Clinton's will from 1998?

And if so, how do you explain 911?

Keep in mind bushie boy didn't do anything regarding USS Cole... an actual attack! Even after Clinton handed him all the information he had on the subject.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#960396 Aug 6, 2013
WAS THE LONE RANGER A BLACKMAN mmmm
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#960397 Aug 6, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>what is the point, Democrats were for it too.
If it makes you feel any better, I was the invasion of iraq based on what bushie boy said.... at least for the first 6 months until it became clear bushie lied.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#960398 Aug 6, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
President Barack Obama’s former chair of the Council of Economic Advisors, Christina Romer, did a study in 2007 which found that for every $1 in tax cuts, there is a corresponding rise in GDP of $3. Virtually all economists agree that tax cuts have some positive effect on growth.
(So the "Bush tax cuts" argument is out.)
Even with tax cuts and wars together with the economic downturn following 9/11, the deficit spending was relatively modest and certainly manageable.
The collapse was largely set in motion by the insolvency of Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns. Neither of these investment banks had insured deposits.
In 2003, the Bush administration did, in fact, propose a new agency to oversee Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. It was opposed by House Democrats.
In 2005, the Senate Banking Committee, under Republican control, proposed a bill to regulate Fannie and Freddie. All Republicans on the Committee supported the bill. All Democrats voted against it.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/1646/bush-p...
For the umpteenmillionth time here's what killed Hagel's 2005 bill to regulate Fannie and Freddie which makes your implied statement a LIE:

Freddie Mac Tried to Kill Republican Regulatory Bill in 2005

In the midst of DCI's yearlong effort, Hagel and 25 other Republican senators pleaded unsuccessfully with Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., to allow a vote ...

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,440681,00...

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#960399 Aug 6, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>"The RNC lists several numbers about premium increases, but doesn’t tell the full story behind the figures. RNC: 56%: Expected Premium Increase For A Healthy Male Ages 21-29 On The Individual Market Under ObamaCare. This was an average estimate by the consulting firm Milliman. The RNC points to a CNN Money article, which also quotes the author of the Milliman report saying:“The average isn’t very relevant to any particular person.” The May 2013 article concludes:“At this point, everyone — including the insurers — is just guessing at what premiums should be.” It may be frustrating to those who buy their insurance on the individual market — currently that’s 15 million Americans (or 6 percent of those under age 65)— but it’s difficult to estimate how exactly their premiums will change. There will be winners and losers, and even Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has acknowledged that.“Women are going to see some lower costs, some men are going to see some higher costs,” Sebelius said in March.“It’s sort of a one to one shift … some of the older customers may see a slight decline, and some of the younger ones are going to see a slight increase.” The author of the Milliman report estimated a big average increase for young men, but said women’s premiums on average would increase slightly. And older men (ages 60-64) would see a decrease. But, as we’ve said before, it’s tough to make a blanket estimate in the individual market, where premiums and benefits per plan vary widely. Whether an individual’s premium goes up or down, and by how much, depends on what kind of plan they’re purchasing now (bare bones or with benefits similar to what will be minimum requirements under the law), health status, age, and existing state regulations on insurance companies. And then there are federal subsidies, which are available to those earning up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level. The CBO estimates that 25 million Americans will get coverage through the state-based exchanges in 2023, with about 80 percent of them receiving federal subsidies."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/Ob...
That wasn't the rnc, it was forbes.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#960400 Aug 6, 2013
...I was FOR the invasion of iraq based on what bushie boy said.... at least for the first 6 months until it became clear bushie lied
WOW

Bronx, NY

#960401 Aug 6, 2013
The children of New York City should not have to sleep with their mothers because they have nightmares about being shot by the NYPD!In her first public comments about her son’s death, Shanise Farrar described Douse as a child who slept with her because he was frightened by nightmares of being harmed by cops.

“I’m not saying he’s the best,” Farrar said near a shrine for her son at Gouverneur Morris Houses, where they lived.“But he’s my angel.”

LADY YOUR ANGEL WAS SHOOTING OTHER PEOPLES ANGELS SO IF YOU HAD KEPT YOUR 14 yo BABY IN YOUR ARMS AT 3am HE WOULD BE ALIVE SO EITHER YOUR LACK OF PARENTING SKILLS OR HIS GANG ACTIVITY KILLED HIM
DONT COMPARE HIM TO TRAYVON TRAYVON WAS NOT ACCUSED OF SHOOTING ANOTHER BLACK CHILD IM GLAD THE PERSON HE WAS SHOOTING AT GOT AWAY BECAUSE SHAALIVER WAS TRYING TO KILL AN UNARMED PERSON ANY PARENT CAN FEEL YOUR LOSS BUT THE MOTHER OF THE 15 yo HE SHOT AND GOT AWAY WITH DOESNT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT HIM SHOOTING HER CHILD AGAIN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Uncle Sam 239,331
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 21 min LonePalm 5,623
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 55 min State the Obvious 309,933
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Wed tom wingo 29,767
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 25 Pietro Armando 201,809
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... May 25 Timotion 7
Jayhawks dance team #1 May 24 Jeff 1
More from around the web